Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yoshi-P cries and apologizes.

BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Not many times you see someone be this honest. At the very least it shows the compassion and legitimacy of the problems they are having. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SWSMdCMyvE

ROUGH TRANSLATION FROM VIDEO:

This is crazy.
Before I say anything, let me first start by saying that these 3 days we had intended to use for early-access were interrupted by emergency maintenance, which resulted in PC players in North America and Europe that were really looking forward to this missing out on a lot of play time, and I would like to use this part of the presentation, which is being broadcast worldwide, to apologize for that right now. We are truly sorry.
We are about to set out on a very long journey together, and as such, I would really do hope that I can redeem myself for that mistake.
Uhm...
"Do your best!"
Uhm... It has been about 3 years since I inherited this FFXIV project. At first, well, I had never been that involved with the game, but I thought, "I can probably do something with this." And ultimately, since I really enjoy the FF series myself, I gathered the staff and we discussed the idea of re-making the game.
I remember it even now, it was December 1st and we were in a studio just like this, and the mixer room was just above me. And they were adjusting the mic that I was to use. That whole scene really left an impression on me. I was right there with the players thinking, "Can we really save this? This will be no small task."
One by one folks started giving us their support, even those people who firmly believed that it would take at least 4 to 5 years to create a solid MMORPG. We didn't waste a second and did our best not to rush the work and take our time during the planning process, we would say when handling the companies day-to-day affairs that our company is the tank. We stayed out in the front and we kept moving forward, and eventually came this far.
I can't even take credit for the creation of FFXIV:ARR. It really was thanks to the fans worldwide, our core staff here beside me, and the hundreds of other staff members who contributed but were unable to make it here tonight that we made it this far.
Honestly, I did not plan on crying here tonight, but for us, finally, FFXIV can start the first step of its true rebirth. This is no time to take a rest. We will keep focused on the next patch, the next expansion, and continue at full strength. And really, I'd like to address those FFXIV community members who I'm sure faced criticism from their friends about the fact that they stuck with FFXIV despite all its problems, to us, this 2.5, 3 years went by so quickly, but for the players it was such a long wait. Everyone at Square Enix can truly say that their hard work helped to repair any damage done to the Final Fantasy name. It is not a perfectly finished MMORPG, but we all arrived at this point together. We created this game together. We want to make this an unforgettable entry in the series that we all enjoy together and are still playing 5 years or even 10 years from now, and that all starts today.
Thank you very much.

Comments

• RynzoRynzo Member UncommonPosts: 13
    How about another month free for this debacle.
  • Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    I'd be crying too if I knew that the launch of their "Rebirth" would be this bad. I know this will cost them a  lot of players. I'm not one that's leaving, I plan on being here for awhile, but at the same time I'm more than a little frustrated with being able to play about a total of 6 hours since early access.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Well that video was taken from gamescom so has absolutely little no to relevance on the problems at hand. While he seems like a really nice guy and all that, apologies aren't solving problems. Anybody could have foreseen these problems from the first day of early access and really, that's all we've been getting in response to them.. "sorry for the inconvenience, we thank you for your patience"
  • SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Keep the faith all ye fans? of FFXIV:ARR. It will soon be up and you will have an amazing game with true men like these as your devs behind the game. They obviously care about the gamers and how much they enjoy their game rather than just the dollar signs behind your commitment.
  • rnor6084rnor6084 Member UncommonPosts: 111

Let the brutality begin. I'm sure the MMO community will show its true colors once again.

No doubt he and his family have already received death threats.

All over a stupid video game that spoiled men and children aren't able to play.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Swiftrevoir
    Keep the faith all ye fans? of FFXIV:ARR. It will soon be up and you will have an amazing game with true men like these as your devs behind the game. They obviously care about the gamers and how much they enjoy their game rather than just the dollar signs behind your commitment.

I agree, you know the Devs are dedicated to the game just by re-doing the mess that was there in 1.0. Again, I plan on being in ARR for awhile, I'm enjoying it a lot so far, but I'm just not happy at all with the way early access and launch is going.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

I know it's gotta be extremely frustrating and disappointing that the whole team puts in so much work to make the relaunch a success and then it gets hit with so many problems just connecting to the game before people can even see it and judge it fairly. Even if I hadn't seen it from Mr. Yoshida, I know this would be going on behind the scenes for a lot of people, especially those who worked so hard on the rest of the game and had nothing to do with any of the problems that came up. I haven't seen anything that is going to stop me from continuing to support it though*.

* in large part because I've been able to play since the first day of EA.

• darthadendarthaden Member Posts: 47
    First off yoshi and se are not one and the same. Yoshi is simply a man who works for se. If it were up to him they would probably have 100 servers so that everyone could see his work of art, sadly though he has bosses who probably wanted to cut costs as much as possible. Yoshi himself probably is truly sorry for the poor launch its his bosses who so far are screwing us all over.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

There is no excuse.

If other MMOs can have little to no problems, why didnt they do?

Look at Rift's launch, I think it was the most polished ever!

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168

To be honest, this man is the primary reason I am even giving this game a chance. 

A month or so ago, I read his explanation of the game's combat system and several of their design decisions involving leveling speed and FATEs, and basically everything. It was concise and intelligent. It didn't assume the reader is an idiot who understands nothing about these games.

After reading that, I decided I wanted to buy the game. After seeing this video, I know that I want to stick it out through this awful launch process. 

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by Elevenb4
    I'd be crying too if I knew that the launch of their "Rebirth" would be this bad. I know this will cost them a  lot of players. I'm not one that's leaving, I plan on being here for awhile, but at the same time I'm more than a little frustrated with being able to play about a total of 6 hours since early access.

lol, If anything it will gain them many more players. Im not into FF XIV ( to carebear)but seeing how many players are playing this game has got me interested. 

• MagKilnMagKiln Member Posts: 46

Glad I didn't buy it and get ripped off a second time. Its a shame, sorry that most are having trouble and want to play the game. 

Some things were meant not to be reborn!

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

There is no excuse.

If other MMOs can have little to no problems, why didnt they do?

Look at Rift's launch, I think it was the most polished ever!

You didn't play Rift at launch then.

Servers queue for 12 + hours, kicking people that had been queue for hours.

Honestly to me it seems the same.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

I have serious questions about SE's ability to execute games properly.  However, I do believe in Yoshi.

The guy IS down to earth and man - in business, that's just rare.  You can see how passionate he is about the game.  It's hard not to root for a guy like him.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

First off: I read the transcript, but did not watch the video.

Tearful or crying apologies are normal for japan, so I take that with a grain of salt.

Not to brutalize anyone, but all of the problems we are experiencing stem from management or administrative decisions. At one point many of the instances... So while I appreciate his apologies(and the repeated copy and paste apologies that we have been getting over and over and over and over) I have seen no sign that they are doing anything to address the decision making process which leads to these kind of problems.

Decisions like deciding not to test a "fix" that affected 20% of the population before the game went live, for example.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    The game is actually really good so far. I would write more but I am busy playing ;)
    Originally posted by Mors-Subita

First off: I read the transcript, but did not watch the video.

Tearful or crying apologies are normal for japan, so I take that with a grain of salt.

Not to brutalize anyone, but all of the problems we are experiencing stem from management or administrative decisions. At one point many of the instances... So while I appreciate his apologies(and the repeated copy and paste apologies that we have been getting over and over and over and over) I have seen no sign that they are doing anything to address the decision making process which leads to these kind of problems.

Decisions like deciding not to test a "fix" that affected 20% of the population before the game went live, for example.

Yeah, I think people need to recognize the differences in culture here.  A lot of Asian cultures are a lot more honest than we are, especially in business.  It's a very personal relationship.  We are much more removed and cold here.

My career is in business, product management to be specific.  I really understand some of the things Yoshi is experiencing.  There are few things more frustrating than seeing a problem and not having the legitimate power to take charge and fix it.  It's even worse when your boss (who needs to make the decision) doesn't share the same passion or vision of the project.  I get the feeling that some of that is happening here.

Businesses are not the pinnacle of efficiency, even the best in class ones.  People create inefficiencies and inefficiencies cost time.  While I'm frustrated as hell with the progress of this game, I can't help but feel some empathy.

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by Braindome

Not many times you see someone be this honest. At the very least it shows the compassion and legitimacy of the problems they are having. 

Not really. You just don't know much about Japan.

The issues are public and so they MUST say something to save face and sadly, the Shinto way makes it hard to determine if what is being said is honesty, what they really feel or if its just something being done to hide reality. Just know this, in Japan its better to pretend than THIS than show disharmony with THAT.

Originally posted by JasonJ

The issues are public and so they MUST say something to save face and sadly, the Shinto way makes it hard to determine if what is being said is honesty, what they really feel or if its just something being done to hide reality. Just know this, in Japan its better to pretend than THIS than show disharmony with THAT.

While true, this does happen - that's an awful cynical representation.  One is able to save face while being honest.

The cynical fakers are the Americans.  Much more so than the Japanese.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    I admit I wrote them a pretty crappy letter. While I didn't use profanity - it was clear I was really upset. Unfortunately, I realize it was just me overreacting because I couldn't play. Granted it sucks that even now I can't log in, but those guys really made a great game. The infrastructure seems to have failed though.
  • NephelaiNephelai Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Zarriya
    The game is actually really good so far. I would write more but I am busy playing ;)

Mind sharing what you enjoy about it? It turned me off from the get go so I wouldn't mind finding out if I missed something.

What I couldn't cope with was:

• The intro - its a silent movie with chat bubbles that you cant get out of even on new chars
    • The interaction system - is silent with chat bubbles (the whole theme seems like this)
    • The cities seem dead - there is no living feel all I hear is elevator music and metal footsteps
    • The cities themselves - they have instanced zones within instanced zones?
    • The outside world - plays and feels like Aion (mob behavior, slow abilities etc)
    • I did like the UI although I don't know why they key bind UI components

I just couldn't get past those things sadly.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Alamareth

While true, this does happen - that's an awful cynical representation.  One is able to save face while being honest.

I don't know... in my experience it is more the rule than the exception.

Especially here, where pretty much all of the problems we are experiencing stem from administrative decisions.

Originally posted by Mors-Subita
    Originally posted by Alamareth

I don't know... in my experience it is more the rule than the exception.

Especially here, where pretty much all of the problems we are experiencing stem from administrative decisions.

None of the precludes how earnest Yoshi was in the speech.

• DiemosDiemos Member Posts: 129

"It is not a perfectly finished MMORPG, but we all arrived at this point together."

Does this not catch anyone elses eye? Maybe I am just looking to much into that statement.

[PvX]Tempest - Check us out

Originally posted by Diemos

"It is not a perfectly finished MMORPG, but we all arrived at this point together."

Does this not catch anyone elses eye? Maybe I am just looking to much into that statement.

I wouldn't try to read too far into a rough translation...