Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking a failed launch to new levels

Comments

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

"Experienced MMO players should know better than to throw money at something that they know doesn't work and then complain about it.  They should probably just stop throwing good money away and send the right message.  It'll never happen though.  MMO gamers are too compulsive and competitive to show that sort of restraint."

I'm having no problems whatsoever......

I havn't bought the game yet. :-)

I learned that lesson in the past. Now I have no worries because I have not bought anything at release in awhile.

yay :-)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

Its quite sad they cant just double their server line up.  The game itself is 100% polished and runs fantastic.  Hell im not even lagging from all the damn people everywhere (and yeah you are practically swimming through other players)

I really think the issue is isolated to most NA servers, and all EU servers though.  I don't have a queue on my NA server I get right on, or if there is a queue its fairly short.

Once you get over the combat pacing (its kinda slow, though it is a nice change of pace given how every game is now insta action) the instanced world (one of the few games actually worth putting on the SSD) and the generally confusing at first instanced, triggered, private events that take place in the open world around other people (yeah its strange)

Yeah the game has progression...so if playing = grind and you hate a load screen when changing areas...might want to pass it up.

Other than that, this launch is only marred by its EA code debacle, and the server issues.

This would have easily been the worst launch ever if the game itself wasn't immaculate.

Oh and they are not starting the billing cycle until the 29th.  EA is over, and anyone with a code can get in...granted you refuse to go on a server that isn't 100% full (not an option for EU unfortunately)

One thing they desperately need to do is to communicate directly with EU and NA communities about the issues.  Someone found a JP thread from a developer stating that they are adding more JP servers..which enraged the EU/NA community...I shouldn't count NA since people do have options and there are a few servers with plenty of room though.

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by stratasaurus
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    You imagine buying the game retail today and your all excited and go to find out you can't even make a character on any server. :P

When a big new store has a grand opening in a big city people don't just assume they will be able to go at opening, get a close parking spot, walk in and find everything they want, and then check out without having to wait in a line.

They know they have a choice of either dealing with waiting for parking, stuff not being in stock that they want, waiting in a huge line, being cramped by other people.  They make the choice of either dealing with it or waiting till the grand opening weekend is over and everything is calm and normal.

That is the exact same choice that you have with a major MMO release.  Either deal with the lines and not getting everything you want the way you want it.  Or sit back and chill knowing that in a few days all the craziness will be over.

Not really the same thing at all.  For one, you don't pay an entrance fee for a store.  In this case, we already paid for these days (now lost) with the initial purchase.

This would be more on par with buying tickets to an amusement park for a certain date and then being told the park is full and come back later in the day.

You are right cause I have never paid to go an amusement park and then had to wait in line for a ride because it was full.  I forgot they refund you a percent of your ticket for all the time you wait in lines not actually able to ride the rides you want.

Well going by the amusement park analogy, it's more of a case of you buying your ticket beforehand and then being refused entry because the amusement park is full. You then come back the next day, get in only to be told they are no longer taking any more in the queues for the rides and you'll have to come back later when the line is smaller.. sadly you have no idea how big or how small the line is. 

In all fairness and honesty, I can sympathize with them tbh because they are clearly working to the best of what they have. Sadly, what they have is clearly not good enough. Regardless of investing extra money in more servers is a risky endeavour,  leaving things as they are is far worse in the long run. 

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Ivylena

"Experienced MMO players should know better than to throw money at something that they know doesn't work and then complain about it.  They should probably just stop throwing good money away and send the right message.  It'll never happen though.  MMO gamers are too compulsive and competitive to show that sort of restraint."

I'm having no problems whatsoever......

I havn't bought the game yet. :-)

I learned that lesson in the past. Now I have no worries because I have not bought anything at release in awhile.

yay :-)

Same thing with me. I can wait a bit and let the madness, emergency downtime, server locks all settle down before I jump in.

• blackburn11blackburn11 Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Electro057
    Originally posted by blackburn11

There are lvl 50's already.

I couldnt get on during early access, I couldnt get on yesterday, I cant get on today.  But there are some people that are max level already.

I dont know if i agree with the philosophy that it is better to keep the servers running with a small % of people than to risk servers crashing.  Not fair that some play non-stop and others cant play at all.

Boo

There were level 50s before the game launched knuckle head, I have two of them...Infact I transferred them all over to Legacy Servers and accessed them all today. Sadly they're all on Jap legacy servers :/

I know there are legacy servers, "knuckle head".  There are lvl 50 guys on non-legacy servers.  That is obviously what I was talking about.  

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

I couldnt get on during early access, I couldnt get on yesterday, I cant get on today.  But there are some people that are max level already.

I dont know if i agree with the philosophy that it is better to keep the servers running with a small % of people than to risk servers crashing.  Not fair that some play non-stop and others cant play at all.

Boo

There were level 50s before the game launched knuckle head, I have two of them...Infact I transferred them all over to Legacy Servers and accessed them all today. Sadly they're all on Jap legacy servers :/

I know there are legacy servers, "knuckle head".  There are lvl 50 guys on non-legacy servers.  That is obviously what I was talking about.  

You do know that the LVL 50 in two day guys never log off. Maybe it is good that players have to take a break from raceing to be the first maybe some of you that race to max may now slow down and actually enjoy a mmo for once.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

Boo

Meh, too bad for them really. The game likely doesn't have any endgame at the moment, so they just powerleveled and skipped all the meaningful content already designed XD Sorta like....not stopping to smell the roses or even glance at them, hell....I wonder when they'll start complaining about a lack of content and endgame, and how the dev's haven't worked hard enough....Despite being surrounded by content they've ignored.

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

Who cares about the people that are 50 or their motives for playing non-stop. My point is that we all paid the same for this game. Not fair that some have played non stop and others can't play at all.

I thin SE's solution to just let a small % play and others not is a bad idea. Take the servers down and fix them, add new servers, boot afk, do something.

Granted, I am sure they are working hard at it. Just frustrating for paying customers. :(
    "Too bad for them really"

Ya. Must suck to have been able to play the game for the last 4 days. Glad I can't play the game!
  • PuffingtonPuffington Member Posts: 35

Game is good.

Servers are bad.

Sh** Happens.

We all will get to play.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    You have to be patient with new releases of mmorgs, some releases just don't go as smoothly. I have another game as backup so you don't sit swearing at a screen - in the big scheme of things the first week is a drop in the potential lifetime of a mmorg.

Normally I would 100% agree with this. But the incompetence of Square this time is just astounding. Full servers. Ok cool, great launch. So how about opening up new servers for launch day? Nope, that would be to much work. OK how about a queue so I can see its going to take 3 hours till I get my spot? Nope, evidently coding a queue is to difficult for them as well. Ok well how about an auto logout for afk or anti spam to boot bots? Um nope, that to difficult as well.

The game is decent. Its WoW with a better class system in an FF setting. In the 4-5 hours I've managed to actually play (between 1am and 5:30am this morning) I encountered no major bugs or lag or anything like that. But the pure lack of systems in place other than just locking servers is pure incompetence, in particular when this is NOT their first go around with an MMO.

Add onto that their policies regarding streaming or videos made of the game and this is one of the biggest jokes ever. Not because it doesn't have any of the typical launch day woes like full servers. But because of the incompetence of planning for these problems or quickly solving them. There is NO reason they should have gone from EA to full launch without some system in place. Frankly, people SHOULD lose their job over this. Whoever was in charge of preparing for something like this has shown a complete lack of ability to do their job.

Even if I am enjoying the game I'm struggling to justify paying for even a months game time. If they cant handle something as simple as a queue how can I trust them to handle major game breaking issues?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    You imagine buying the game retail today and your all excited and go to find out you can't even make a character on any server. :P

When a big new store has a grand opening in a big city people don't just assume they will be able to go at opening, get a close parking spot, walk in and find everything they want, and then check out without having to wait in a line.

They know they have a choice of either dealing with waiting for parking, stuff not being in stock that they want, waiting in a huge line, being cramped by other people.  They make the choice of either dealing with it or waiting till the grand opening weekend is over and everything is calm and normal.

That is the exact same choice that you have with a major MMO release.  Either deal with the lines and not getting everything you want the way you want it.  Or sit back and chill knowing that in a few days all the craziness will be over.

Not really the same thing at all.  For one, you don't pay an entrance fee for a store.  In this case, we already paid for these days (now lost) with the initial purchase.

This would be more on par with buying tickets to an amusement park for a certain date and then being told the park is full and come back later in the day.

Which does in fact happen.  You can buy a ticket to Disney World in advance, but if you show up at the wrong date at the wrong time, they will tell you the park is too full.

But a better analogy might be you buy your ticket, go in the park and an unexpected thunderstorm rolls through and they close down all the rides.  Doesn't matter if that storm lasts 4 hours, you don't get a refund, you just live with it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Who cares about the people that are 50 or their motives for playing non-stop. My point is that we all paid the same for this game. Not fair that some have played non stop and others can't play at all.

I thin SE's solution to just let a small % play and others not is a bad idea. Take the servers down and fix them, add new servers, boot afk, do something.

Granted, I am sure they are working hard at it. Just frustrating for paying customers. :(

I'm not sure I would say they are working hard at it when they cant do something as simple as a queue, or as you said having an auto boot for afkers in place.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Mako482
    Not only can I not log in with my character, I cannot even create another character to play on a lesser populated server. Worse launch I have been a part of when the game is running.....you just are not allowed to play it. Would be better knowing no one could play because it was so broken. Selfish but true.

Just wondering if you paid for 1 character acct? Or the upgraded multiple character option?

(I don't know about this much, but I have heard many speak of account differences.)

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205

Boys, calm your tits. Here something you should know.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/395034/Zamcoms-moderators-telling-peeps-to-afk.html

ZAM.com mods telling people to stay online while the person behind the character AFK. That is the cause of the login problem.

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by xenogias

I'm not sure I would say they are working hard at it when they cant do something as simple as a queue, or as you said having an auto boot for afkers in place.

I have made a post regarding the Auto-AFK system, on their suggestion forum. Follow it up and let the dev see.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by MyownGod

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/395034/Zamcoms-moderators-telling-peeps-to-afk.html

ZAM.com mods telling people to stay online while the person behind the character AFK. That is the cause of the login problem.

*in a frantic voice*

No!   NO!!!! There is only SE being evil, not selfish MMO players not caring about each other. Lies LIES!

/drama off

Originally posted by Kyleran

Which does in fact happen.  You can buy a ticket to Disney World in advance, but if you show up at the wrong date at the wrong time, they will tell you the park is too full.

But a better analogy might be you buy your ticket, go in the park and an unexpected thunderstorm rolls through and they close down all the rides.  Doesn't matter if that storm lasts 4 hours, you don't get a refund, you just live with it.

Except in this games situation there are ways to fix the problem and they simply haven't done it. I think most of us would understand if there was something as simple as a queue instead of a message "lol you cant play try back later". At least that's my issue. If they don't want to add more servers and risk underpopulation later fine, I get that. A simple queue would let us know hey, you have to wait 3 hours or so. But no, a queue is to difficult for them evidently.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

There is a queue.  It is filled, thus the error.

The queue doesn't seem NEARLY big enough though.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by fistorm
    Originally posted by Mako482
    Not only can I not log in with my character, I cannot even create another character to play on a lesser populated server. Worse launch I have been a part of when the game is running.....you just are not allowed to play it. Would be better knowing no one could play because it was so broken. Selfish but true.

More like taking a overly underestimated successful launch to new levels.

Days of people expecting only a few hundred thousand players are gone,  we have millions of gamers now, and they are marching around on top of smaller titles. 

You can thank the success of this game to why your server is now so full you cannot log in.

Why do they not know how many games they sold?  When blizzard's servers melted down due to over demand, they stopped selling the game until they could handle more players.  That was bad enough.  These companies know how many copies of a game are pre-ordered, and pre-sold if you can't accommodate the number of people that purchase your game, then stop selling said game until you can accommodate them.  It isn't like it was a big mystery how many copies were sold.  Even if for whatever reason they didn't know how many they sold, don't they require a code to enter the headstart?  Did they not keep track of how many codes were used?  

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    You'd be surprised at the volume of those "pre-sales" that happen 48 hours or less prior to the EA going live -- too late to be reflected in projected users.

No, but they do expect that when they buy the item they want, they will be able to use it when they get home.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by MyownGod

Seriously you think that is the cause of the problem? Head Trauma much? Little bit too fanboy there.

Originally posted by Alamareth

There is a queue.  It is filled, thus the error.

The queue doesn't seem NEARLY big enough though.

From what I have read the que is 500.  This raises a question that I do not know the answer to because I honestly know nothing of servers or any of the code needed to run an mmo.  Why would you limit the que?  How much in the way of resources does a que take?  There must be a reason why they would set the que so low, but I can't imagine that a que would take up enough server resources to need it to be so low, but then again, like I said, I don't know anything about server capacities.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Servers are full how is that a failed launch? When you can get on there are no problems so again how is it a failed launch?

Don't get me wrong I'm pretty pissed I can't get on to play but can't really call this a failed launch.