Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO will have a box price, subscription AND a cash shop.

12346»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by jesusjuice69

Now you resort to name calling red herrings, and "I know you are, but what am I?"

Then, you start rambling on about cash shops and F2P, of which I have discussed neither.

Combined with the 90s comment, and I think its safe to assume we are dealing with a kid.

I don't have time to teach gradeschool, so run along.

Hey your the one who brought out the "mindless" remark. so you can call people mindless for the things they do but if you are called on it you take offense?

Here, I'll remind you as you seem to think you have carte blanche to say what you feel like and call others out yet you don't like that lens turned on yourself:

"You are part of the problem!  You are reinforcing the notion that they can do whatever the fuck they want, and the people, being a mindless consumers, will still purchase it."

I brought up b2p and f2p because you brought up GW2 and their model in relation to this game. I just expanded upon that.

Your comment: "We can look at other games and compare value.  This is a clone of GW2, a b2p game.  "

Not sure what comment I made which was "90's but feel free to answer Adalwullf's question.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by Adalwulff
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Piechunks

Then why don't you tell us when profit becomes greed?

Surely you agree the company must make a profit right? Or else they cannot pay their staff or their bills.

So tell us, in your opinion, how much are they allowed to make, before it becomes greed?

Yah, that is easy.  Maybe you haven't been following the discussion.

Arenanet selling GW2, a B2P game, for a B2P price.   Profit.

ZOS selling TESO, a B2P game, for P2P price.  Greed

It is dishonest, and done purely out of greed.

You still haven't answered the question...lol

When does profit turn to greed?

How much money, in your opinion, are they "allowed" to make?

I actually did answer the question.

Now, if you want a random numerical answer to your loaded question, then there isn't one.  That would be dependent on the case at hand.  Nice try though.

Why don't you look up Business ethics, and then respond in a few years when you know what you are talking about.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Shaigh
    8 million still supports box price, subscription and a cash shop.

Best...response...ever...

Originally posted by grimgryphon

This game won't have 8 million subs.

They will probably be lucky to get 1 month sub out of most people who buy the game.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

They will probably be lucky to get 1 month sub out of most people who buy the game.

Can I borrow your crystal ball? I'm getting ready to sell my mountain cabin in Colorado...I need to settle on an asking price.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Miblet
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by coretex666

So that it is going to use the same revenue channels as the most successful MMO in the history?

Outrage!!!

How well has that worked out for everyone but the most successful MMO in history.  Fortunately for us, history answers that question for us.

Almost all profitable (very rare occasions of games not breaking even and making profit in short order).

oh really? could you write a few successful mmorpgs with p2p with a cash shop that didn't go for f2p model?

going f2p isn't anything bad, but it means the game can't cover the costs (now or in the next planned financial report) with its existing model and trend without some radical changes.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Can I borrow your crystal ball? I'm getting ready to sell my mountain cabin in Colorado...I need to settle on an asking price.

You are going to have to borrow it from Shaigh.  I gave it back to him.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Piechunks

Then why don't you tell us when profit becomes greed?

Surely you agree the company must make a profit right? Or else they cannot pay their staff or their bills.

So tell us, in your opinion, how much are they allowed to make, before it becomes greed?

Yah, that is easy.  Maybe you haven't been following the discussion.

Arenanet selling GW2, a B2P game, for a B2P price.   Profit.

ZOS selling TESO, a B2P game, for P2P price.  Greed

It is dishonest, and done purely out of greed.

You still haven't answered the question...lol

When does profit turn to greed?

How much money, in your opinion, are they "allowed" to make?

I actually did answer the question.

Now, if you want a random numerical answer to your loaded question, then there isn't one.  That would be dependent on the case at hand.  Nice try though.

Why don't you look up Business ethics, and then respond in a few years when you know what you are talking about.

No you haven't answered.

I didn't make the claim, you did. You keep saying greed, all I'm asking is how much does it take to turn profit into greed.

They haven't broken any business ethics, that is your bias opinion. Who are you to decide what is ethical?

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

They can make as much "profit" as they like - and as long as they avoid potential "gambling/addiction" type issues (potentially associated with a cash shop) and they don't engage in misleading advertising then it will be ethical. And the more money they make the more money should be invested in the game.

That is the rub though. Will they make more money with a monthly sub than without it?

As EA found out people don't need to subscribe and they can unsubscribe pretty quickly. A sub will reduce box sales as well.

No you haven't answered.

I didn't make the claim, you did. You keep saying greed, all I'm asking is how much does it take to turn profit into greed.

They haven't broken any business ethics, that is your bias opinion. Who are you to decide what is ethical?

I did.  Sorry, if you don't understand.

• jimprounerjimprouner Member Posts: 142

No you haven't answered.

I agree with JJ.

The reason all recent MMOs have failed is pure greed.  They launch P2P, and then refuse to update their game, and in some cases even fix simple bugs.  They take the money and pocket it instead of reinvesting that money back into the game.  

ESO seems to be going down the same path.  I don't see this game having sufficient end game content to merit a P2P model, and I don't foresee a lot of updates.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Kayo45
    So basically everyone is panicking because some foreign site interview let slip that theyll have an item shop that includes name changes(?). Translated by google no less. /sigh how about we see wtf they plan to put in this cash shop (other than name changes before we start losing our freakin minds over an ambiguous comment. It may well just be a similar system to which Blizzard has been using for years now.

That said, if its the f2p kind of cash shop then im out as well. Probably the dumbest thing they could do but oh well ... ESO is like 3rd in my list of potential MMOs anyway, and one I planned on waiting a few months to make sure they dont pull he old p2p<>f2p switcheroo a few months down the line.

Yah, you can't trust those foreign sites... I mean they are foreign!  They don't even speak english for crying out loud.

/sarcasm

I give this game 9 months tops under subscription model.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    The day Blizzard sold 25 millings opening weekend with that damn sparkle pony mount was the day I knew that cash shops were going to be in every MMO one day. So ESO has picked to P2P + Box price + cash shop. They have to walk a line on what they add to the cash shop. P2P means they better have the content to back up a monthly sub. I have a feeling they are not gona get this right. The more I read about this game the less I am interested. IMO this seem more like a GW2 game. Fun but not a lot of depth. Should have gona B2P with a GW2 style cash shop IMO. Cant wait to see this game go head to head with EQN lol

I think you hit the nail on the head.  The depth of this game seems on par with GW2.

As far as I know they haven't even said the word update, so I really wonder how they are going to justify the subscription model after a couple months.

Ya not gona try this game till it goes F2P even if I have to wait a year after release

i am sure you will not be missed.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

Originally posted by jimprouner

Originally posted by Adalwulff   No you haven't answered. I didn't make the claim, you did. You keep saying greed, all I'm asking is how much does it take to turn profit into greed. They haven't broken any business ethics, that is your bias opinion. Who are you to decide what is ethical?
    I agree with JJ.

The reason all recent MMOs have failed is pure greed.  They launch P2P, and then refuse to update their game, and in some cases even fix simple bugs.  They take the money and pocket it instead of reinvesting that money back into the game.  

ESO seems to be going down the same path.  I don't see this game having sufficient end game content to merit a P2P model, and I don't foresee a lot of updates.

Ahem, a couple of questions.

A. How can you say that ESO developers are not investing profits from subscriptions into fixing the game and providing patches WHEN THE GAME HAS NOT EVEN BEEN RELEASED YET?

B. Did you already play an UNRELEASED game to the end to see that there is no end game content in it?

C. What are the reasons for your foresight of lack of updates in the future of this title aside from being full of it?

Please an answer them seriously because I'm extremely curious as to your reasoning and insights.

A)  It is the growing trend in the market.  They have also said the word update all of 1 time thus far I believe.

B) These is no end game content.  This is pretty much a fact.  They didn't even plan on having 1 adventure zone open before the game was delayed.  I mean its predominantly an easy mode single player game FFS.

C) Isn't this question A?  Again, this game is predominantly an easy mode single player game.  What updates could they even do besides pint sized GW2 style updates?   Problem is that Arenanet hands those out for free, because they aren't worth a sub!

• battlesambattlesam Member UncommonPosts: 15

"The reason all recent MMOs have failed is pure greed."   --- That is a false statement.

A)  "It[F2P] is the growing trend in the market."  -- That is a false statement.

B) "These is no end game content."   -- That is a false statement.

1) Careless usage of the word 'all' often results in false statements.

2) F2P is "a" trend, not "the" trend.  

3) lol

Originally posted by Adalwulff   No you haven't answered. I didn't make the claim, you did. You keep saying greed, all I'm asking is how much does it take to turn profit into greed. They haven't broken any business ethics, that is your bias opinion. Who are you to decide what is ethical?
    I agree with JJ.   The reason all recent MMOs have failed is pure greed.  They launch P2P, and then refuse to update their game, and in some cases even fix simple bugs.  They take the money and pocket it instead of reinvesting that money back into the game.   ESO seems to be going down the same path.  I don't see this game having sufficient end game content to merit a P2P model, and I don't foresee a lot of updates.
      Ahem, a couple of questions. A. How can you say that ESO developers are not investing profits from subscriptions into fixing the game and providing patches WHEN THE GAME HAS NOT EVEN BEEN RELEASED YET? B. Did you already play an UNRELEASED game to the end to see that there is no end game content in it? C. What are the reasons for your foresight of lack of updates in the future of this title aside from being full of it? Please an answer them seriously because I'm extremely curious as to your reasoning and insights.
    A)  It is the growing trend in the market.  They have also said the word update all of 1 time thus far I believe.

B) These is no end game content.  This is pretty much a fact.  They didn't even plan on having 1 adventure zone open before the game was delayed.  I mean its predominantly an easy mode single player game FFS.

C) Isn't this question A?  Again, this game is predominantly an easy mode single player game.  What updates could they even do besides pint sized GW2 style updates?   Problem is that Arenanet hands those out for free, because they aren't worth a sub!

Ok, I will bite on this stupidity.

A) It is also a growing trend in Canadian cell-phone market to charge more for less. Yet, the company I'm with provides with unlimited minutes, texts, and internet usage for $40 while every other provider would charge at least $60-70 with severe limits. The trend is to screw customers and they don't seem to be following it. Catch my drift?

B) Facts are verifiable. Please show evidence supporting the non-existance of end game content. OH WAIT! You can't. THE GAME IS STILL IN DEVELOPMENT and NO ONE PLAYED IT TO THE END.

C) Oh I dunno. Skyrim was a single player game and they released 2 pretty decent expansions and one cosmetic DLC. Just because Arenanet got their heads stuck in their collective asses when it comes to updates doesn't mean every one else.

My advice, Don't judge a whole market based on mistakes made by select few.

C)

Ohh the irony.

A)  Exceptions may exist, but the burden of proof is on you to prove it is an exception.  Good luck, since it hasn't happened yet.

B) The game might be in development, but they have told us the elements within the game.  Once you get to max level you can fart around in some dungeons, and do a few more quests.  Not end game.  We have all this evidence it doesn't exist, so yet again if you are claiming it does, then provide proof.  It's not my responsibility to prove your god exists.

C) Meh, GW2 style updates you had to pay for.  Ripoff.