Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FATE = just another Feeding Frenzy

time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

Ugh, FFXIV took a page out of GW2's book and had FATE's be a massive feeding frenzy where we mindlessly zerg and whack things with sticks.

Here's the problem, there's some collection fates, but its just people mindlessly collecting stuff while their realm mates get smacked around for arriving there a split second before and aggro'ing before them.

Plus people, die, and no one even rezzes them.  They just leave em and mindlessly move on to the next feeding frenzy.

People get attacked by mobs, someone peels one from them, and they don't bother to help out.  So you help people getting killed during these frenzies, and they just move on, and let you take on their fight.  So what do you do?  Let em get killed and be just another mindless idiot or try to help so they run off leaving you looking like a sucker.

Well just a point, these FATES or dynamic whacking contests don't built community.

The game is very cool though, and I like it, its just these FATE's provide the most exp by far, so its just a non stop 100 man piñata fest then people just hang in towns waiting for the next one to arrive.

No teamwork, no talking, no strategy, just whack stuff and hope it doesn't agro you.  We've come so far.

And yes, I like the game, and this is just one crummy aspect.  And no, saying "just don't do FATE"s" isn't a counterpoint to my point, because its just like saying stick your head in the sand, which doesn't work in any situation, hence the ostrich analogy.  So don't come at me with that, or "just don't play" as i'm just making a point that they should nerf FATE exp.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.

Comments

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Im not a big fan of FATEs either, but I take it like this....there are so many other really fun things to do that if I happen to run across a FATE...I know what it is....I know what I can get from it and Im gonna get it.  Then I continue to go do what I wanted to do. 

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Its actually quite a bit like rift in a way, the mini rifts that open up around the zone.   Its also a lot like Abyssea in FFXIV to a degree, if Mikey gets you, your dead!     Atleast you don't have to run that far after you die,  theres atleast one revive point in every zone.
  • kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103
    I play on a Legacy server and it is not crowded at all. From what I am hearing, seems like it was a good idea to keep my original server from 1.0.
  • BiggusRiggusBiggusRiggus Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Fate = a Rift...
  • WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402

I agree its a feeding frenzy, but with the plethora of other social activities such as guildhests, encouraged grouping, the trinity system, and dungeons, it is a very different social experience overall in FFXIV compared to Guild Wars 2. 

Also, the combat is slower, so you have time to talk and focus on others besides yourself. Also, the rezzing, it's not GW2 and not every class can rez. However, I will say that people have stepped in to heal me and save my ass many times during my first 20 levels. 

I do wish they weren't so static though and there was more variety like in GW2. That is lacking in FFXIV. But levequests are interesting. 

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    I nom nom nom that quick XP. 
  • BiggusRiggusBiggusRiggus Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by PulsarMan
    I nom nom nom that quick XP. 

Agreed! I think especially when leveling a second class.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

They are also good for getting those 2000 grand company tokens for your mount quest.

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by time007

Ugh, FFXIV took a page out of GW2's book and had FATE's be a massive feeding frenzy where we mindlessly zerg and whack things with sticks.

Here's the problem, there's some collection fates, but its just people mindlessly collecting stuff while their realm mates get smacked around for arriving there a split second before and aggro'ing before them.

Plus people, die, and no one even rezzes them.  They just leave em and mindlessly move on to the next feeding frenzy.

People get attacked by mobs, someone peels one from them, and they don't bother to help out.  So you help people getting killed during these frenzies, and they just move on, and let you take on their fight.  So what do you do?  Let em get killed and be just another mindless idiot or try to help so they run off leaving you looking like a sucker.

Well just a point, these FATES or dynamic whacking contests don't built community.

The game is very cool though, and I like it, its just these FATE's provide the most exp by far, so its just a non stop 100 man piñata fest then people just hang in towns waiting for the next one to arrive.

No teamwork, no talking, no strategy, just whack stuff and hope it doesn't agro you.  We've come so far.

And yes, I like the game, and this is just one crummy aspect.  And no, saying "just don't do FATE"s" isn't a counterpoint to my point, because its just like saying stick your head in the sand, which doesn't work in any situation, hence the ostrich analogy.  So don't come at me with that, or "just don't play" as i'm just making a point that they should nerf FATE exp.

Wait what? I just did a chain Fate a few hours ago, people invited me to the party,we talk, and etc, it was a fate where we had to infiltrate enemy's base, so basically your statement is not entirely true. 

And nerf FATE exp? it's already low as hell if you compare it to GW2 it took me a week just to get to level 80 by farming those events. Either way Fate, is really more for your other class if you decide to play a different class since all the quests and main quest you did, can't be redone *I wish that's not true*.

• kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by Deolus

They are also good for getting those 2000 grand company tokens for your mount quest.

this. 

Fates give great xp for the lowbies on top of grand company seal rewards and item rewards.

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    from what I understood, most fates up to Level 40 are just another method for exp. at 40, many of my friends joined groups to do fate because it was not possible to do them solo among other soloers. I am still Lv31 and I refuse to rush to end game, but from the look of behemoth fate in stream few hours ago, fates above Lv40+ should be interesting.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I'm not having that problem tough too many people in a fate can make your reward suck since monsters die too fast for contribution.

I yesterday was in a fate with a huge crab and he aggroed me (No one was still there) and I started fighting it mind you I was pugilist. After a few minutes a conjurer comes to aid me as second wind and marauder bloodbath won't last forever heh and so I was getting healed and got buffed.

More and more people were coming and finally I wasn't tanking anymore with a squishy dps class and it ended great.

--

Morale of the story? Help people if you want others to help you.

Sure not everyone will help but the majority I found to be willing to help.

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67
    Just see FATEs as a little bonus. WAR had public quests and they just copied it all over, nothing wrong with that since they are fun at times, imo.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

Fates are just like Rift invasion. well not so many battle but same idea.

if u solo fates when there is a lot ppl, u get easy bronze reward or silver:/

u need be in party if u want gold reward.

after get 25k seal in 40 lvl zone, i can say fates get very fast boring. i hope end game is not like tis...

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

FATES are just a form of leveling for those who enjoy it. If you don't like it there are alternate and equally acceptable forms of leveling, such as questing, dungeons, hunter logs, etc.

Also, if you form a dedicated party for farming fates, you will understand its not just about feeding frenzy, since your group is now in charge of finding, initiating the battle against them, or soloing it if no one decides to come (which happens espeically on the boss type fates).

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    I find fates much more engaging than in rift or gw2.  Not sure why.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Fate's are ok in FFXIV because the game is not solely designed around them like GW2 and Rift.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    Fate's are ok in FFXIV because the game is not solely designed around them like GW2 and Rift.

Neither is GW2.  You don't have to do them if you don't want.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Biggest problem with FATES atm is that they don't scale. If you're trying to do a FATE with too few people, some of them are a huge pain, while that same FATE can get done by 100 people and no increase in difficulty or mob amount.

In GW2, dynamic events at least scale (to a point) where you have harder mobs / more mobs the more people there are in the area. This makes it so it's not as much of a 1-shot zerg fest to all events, like we see in FFXIV.

If they fixed that, by either making the mobs that spawn harder as more people show up, or changing the type of events that spawn to fit the player amount, it would be a lot more enjoyable.

• kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Why should they scale? I hate scaling content. Get yourself to an appropriate area if you are too high in level.