Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1440P Monitor

darkcircuitdarkcircuit Member Posts: 211

Hey all,

Well it is that time again, upgrade time! Currently very happy with my setup hardware wise, not the latest & greatest, but holds its own in the most recent games. Decided it is time to invest in a new monitor as my old 24" Syncmaster 1200P is feeling the strain and isn't looking as snazzy as it used to (probably helped by the 28" monitor I use at work).

I'm obviously not looking for a downgrade and would like an increase in size (when I first got my 24" monitor it felt massive), my current plan is to get a 27" IPS 1400P screen. I've been tossing up the pro's and cons of each model for a while now and I feel I am going round and round in circles, so I thought I would come to you guys and get someone else's opinion.

Before I get inundated with suggestions of buying a monitor from Korea on ebay, I am very nervous of buying a monitor and having little to no Warranty with it, so unless it is super cheap and almost 100% guaranteed to be ok, I'd rather steer clear.

From my endless research I think I have narrowed it down to the Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM however like most mainstream 1440P monitors it is very expensive and also from reading reviews it seems very hit & miss over whether you get a good one.

What do you guys think? Is it worth getting the Dell or can you offer a better alternative?

P.S. If relevant I'm not really into FPS style games so having a 120hz monitor isn't a big thing for me and I'm currently planning to play FFXIV for the foreseeable future.

Comments

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

I suppose the biggest question is your budget.

But in response to one of your thoughts.

5 years ago i would of said whole heartadly yes to the dell monitor, you knew what you were getting with Dell hardware, Today this isn't the case and when your planning on spending upwards of £400 on a monitor you want it to be 100% bang for buck

There are some other makes i would consider, and if money is of little concern (£700) then 1 or 2 of the samsung range kick assetts :) but as you said you dont want a million different monitors, but a few of them have been reviewed on toms hardware, and they gets some serious lovage :)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• darkcircuitdarkcircuit Member Posts: 211
    Thanks for the great reply :) My budget would be around the £400 mark (the Dell is £420), but like you said the Dell suffers from quality issues that makes me very dubious to touch them. I'm stuck in a quandary :(
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

This has had some good ratings not sure if its your idea :)

http://www.pcbuyit.co.uk/asus-pb278q-27-wqhd-ledbacklit-monitor-p-2190.html

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    I'd actually recommend looking at High Definition TVs and using them for a monitor, it's what I currently do and I couldn't be happier. Plus I've never trusted Dell, they've always used sub standard parts in my experiences. Nice for offices, not for pleasure and leisure.

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Dell actually makes some nice monitors.  If you're worried about dodgy quality in a big monitor, the cheap Korean imports are the ones to be wary of.

If you're going to use it for gaming, you should probably look into the input latency.  Many (most?) big monitors and televisions are optimized for image quality at the expense of input latency, and taking an extra 20 ms to get a picture onto the screen is somewhat problematic for gaming.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Electro057
    I'd actually recommend looking at High Definition TVs and using them for a monitor, it's what I currently do and I couldn't be happier. Plus I've never trusted Dell, they've always used sub standard parts in my experiences. Nice for offices, not for pleasure and leisure.

Unless your looking at a 4k TV (and a lot of $$$), HD TVs are pretty much limited to 1080p and an aspect ratio of 16x9. A 27" monitor will be closer to 2560x1440 and run an aspect ratio of 16x10.

Additionally, TVs are designed with the fact that you will probably be sitting on a couch, several feet away. Monitors are designed with the fact that you will probably be sitting at a desk, maybe a couple of feet away. That may not sound like an important difference, but pixel size and refresh rates, and even on screen menus and displays make for a different experience.

Unless your looking for a 60" to hang on the wall, stick with a monitor in the <30" size range.