Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: The Path So Far

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard has announced that the next World of Warcraft patch will be released in early September. Called Siege of Orgimmar, it is a major step forward in the lore of the game as we head to the inevitable next expansion. In our latest WoW Factor, we take a look at the patch to v5.4. See how it's all developed over time and then discuss the upcoming patch in the comments.

Looking through various community sites and their forums, I seem to frequently come across posts by players who are looking to venture into Pandaria for the first time or who may be looking to return after several months away. These players sometimes comment on being overwhelmed with the amount of content that has been released since Mists shipped last September. So, this week on the WoW Factor we are going to take a retrospective look on the Mists of Pandaria expansion - a highlight reel for some of the bigger additions we have seen so far.

Read more of Reza Lackey's The WoW Factor: The Path So Far.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404

retrospective look at pandaria?

its like pandas and stuff. very asian.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Lore-Wise, it's shows about the growing conflict between the horde and the alliance that started during the Cataclyism and the war itself reached upon the misty continent of pandaria, which was hidden during the sundering.  The discovery turned nothing more for a battlefield between horde and alliance until they discovered something monstrious in the land, is that the land turn emotion into a living being called "sha" and they possessed the person who suffers from that emotion, anger, doubt, hatred, violence, any negative emotions will appear and cause havok.

That's not all, you learn about the various of races that exist in pandaria and the lore that's is hidden within pandaria that happens during the times when the burning crusade and the lich king days, you find ancient things, and if you took a look at the latest trailer of the 5.4 patch, you get a clear understand of what happened. Gorrosh gone insane and you have to put him down, he done untold devestation upon everyone, both horde and alliance alike, and wherever he walks, destruction unfolds... Not only that, you got to put down another old god, just like yagg - saron in ulduar... and it appears it controlled the emotions of gorrosh.

Rumors are curculating the future of world of warcraft already since the latest news of the new trademark registration by blizzard called "The Dark Below" and in one of the dungeons in cataclyism, Ozumet in Throne of the Tides, kidnapped Neptalon, did you noticed the title of Ozumet is named "The Dark Below"?  That has a meaning of the future that we may face... more nagas? a revisit to outland? if possible, The sunwell has been rumored of newer activities, and you know what I think? Mal'Ganis and Sargaras appears when they been incognito since Wrath.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Wow has already started to run into the same issues Everquest had by having too many expansions....The further it goes the worse the lore gets.....Then again, I guess fighting pandas is a pretty good sign of that already.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Wow has already started to run into the same issues Everquest had by having too many expansions....The further it goes the worse the lore gets.....Then again, I guess fighting pandas is a pretty good sign of that already.

Pandaren were in the lore before WoW was even made. They're in Warcraft 3. They should have been a launch race instead of gnomes. Or at the very least, in BC instead of Draenei.

• Holst86Holst86 Member UncommonPosts: 57

Meh I wont return to wow until they have updated the human(and all other old races) textures. They are so freaking old and outdated I dont understand how people accept this, especially RPers.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I dont see how fighting pandas would be worse then trying to kill cows that walk on 2 hooves...

people still screaming that the pandas dont fit in blizzards world dont get it, where the Tauren where the perfect race for the native american culture, the pandas where the best pick for eastern asia..

i was recently back in WoW for a ten day trial, and despite all the dumbing down, the blizzard culture created in this world still stands out....

so lets go f2p with some new progression servers and ill join tomorrow.... TESO, EQN and Wildstar ae still lightyears away... This would be the perfect moment for them to go f2p

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Just reading through some of the comments, some of you would have an absolute blast if you just met the right group to hang out with. I would recommend you keep searching the right group is out there. I have met some of the worst and the best, they are scattered throughout, but they are there.
  • TholdarianTholdarian Member UncommonPosts: 67
    With a title like this I almost thought that 'Carry On My Wayward Son' would start playing right after I read it, lol.
  • newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    5.4 looks like a very good patch. But still, not enough for me to resub. I'll wait to see what the next expansion has to offer.
  • PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    My biggest beef with WoW is the lack of skills customization (yes, I know hardcore raiders always boil down to ultimate builds, but I was in the camp of trying odd mixtures of talents just because it was fun, not because it was the bestest) and the normalization of the pets (yes, I was a hunter). Once Bliz got rid of the talent trees for characters and made the only differences between pets cosmetic, I left. The overall systems dumbing down is really what's done it in for me.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I just left because I needed a break, I will be back shortly though, I always do and since this is the only mmorpg that isnt missing one thing or another.
  • MarcelinoMarcelino Member UncommonPosts: 124

I left the game in patch 5.2, but the trailer for 5.4 has brought me back. Miss my Boomkin a lot and SWTOR did nothing for me. 

I am excited about the Dark Below news (if it is true and if it has anything to do with WOW and not D3), i love the idea of an underground type expansion like LOTRO Moria, I hope to god it isn't another underwater expansion tho :/

ps. For anyone who dose not know what I am talking about:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/3339-Blizzard-Trademarks-The-Dark-Below-WoW-or-D3-Expansion

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Tholdornas
    With a title like this I almost thought that 'Carry On My Wayward Son' would start playing right after I read it, lol.

It took me a moment...but then I got it.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    I am back for a month and still not  finish all this things with only one of my characters. Pandaria looks awesome, i would like to see graphic redesign of all Azeroth . 100% worth of resub
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    I'm focusing all my gaming time into Diablo 3. But now........NO. NO. I must stay the course. STAY THE COURSE.
  • JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172

I resubbed about a week ago after being away for about 2 years and I must say that I really like Pandaria. I did like the starter area a great deal, nice flow of quests and looking really beautiful. The first dungeons I did (Jade temple and the Brewery) seemed a bit on the easy side compared to the past but I know there are heroic versions so i'll wait for those.

Not sure how long I'll stay since only one of my old friends still plays occasionally and everyone else seems so settled in it's hard to find a good guild.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Guess you did not know pandas were part of wow lore loooong before Kunfu Panda movie/cartoon come out.

Despite I have preffered Wotlk so far as expansion, Cata and MOP are great expansions. Just they have ruined end game with Cata for players that have jobs and other things to do. This is my only complain. And "dumbing" down game to some degreee. But overall more pros then cons.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by daltanious

Guess you did not know pandas were part of wow lore loooong before Kunfu Panda movie/cartoon come out.

Despite I have preffered Wotlk so far as expansion, Cata and MOP are great expansions. Just they have ruined end game with Cata for players that have jobs and other things to do. This is my only complain. And "dumbing" down game to some degreee. But overall more pros then cons.

Pandas appeared as an April Fools easter egg.  They didn't get full background and lore in the game until after Kung Fu Panda.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by jbombard
    Originally posted by daltanious

Pandas appeared as an April Fools easter egg.  They didn't get full background and lore in the game until after Kung Fu Panda.

pandaren appeared as april fool joke. but players of warcraft 3 liked chen stormstout a lot in the orc storyline "the old hatred" in frozen throne. at the end of the story chen stormstout along with rexxar was awarded "founder of durotar" title for their achievement, which in turn was killing admiral proudmoore. admiral proudmoore is a key figure in warcarft lore, killing him is no april fool joke. so blizzard realized it was time to add this particular figure in lore. so they decided to make chen a playable character in the game named "warcraft : rpg', this was to be a prelude to WoW, but for some reason they dropped the game and instead they published a book named 'warcraft : rpg'(around 2003); where they briefly mentioned chen and introduced pandaren as hidden race. in vanilla WoW there was a horde quest "Chen's keg" and at the end of the quest  there was brief explanation about chen's exploits and about mystical pandaren. so basically  if you were following  warcraft story since wc3 then you  would know about pandaren being in warcraft before kung fu panda. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.