Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally another Ultima game I will play!

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

After U7, there is no good (for me) Ultima games. U8 was no fun, and U9 was a distaster. UO is so bad (for me) that i didn't even sub after the beta, and went over to EQ (another horrible story for me, but that is not for this thread).

Finally, Ultima Forever arrived. It is a nice little game that i can play for 5 min here and there, and with the best 2D graphics of all Ultima game (not too surprising, since we are in 2013, and all 2D ultima were made YEARS ago).

Don't get me wrong, it is no Diablo, or Splinter Cell, or even STO .... but at least a new Ultima game that i will play a little. I still have my cloth map from Ultima 6 hanging on the wall in front of me right now.

Oh .. and it is also a MMORPG (and i am using that term loosely) ... i don't even know that until i played for a while.

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

Ultima Forever is not an MMORPG. It is a 4 player game where the map acts like a lobby. Think the original guildwars. I enjoy the game, have a level 10 warrior I hop on now and then, but there is no way you can justify calling a 4 player game an MMO. All you can do from the lobby is invite. Can't trade or anything. Partially due to no selling of items and trading of keys.

• Niall18Niall18 Member Posts: 31
    I didnt enjoy the game honestly. It just feels liek a cash in with the ultima name 2 me

Check out my Blog for MMO News, Rants & Fun!

http://MMO-Elitist.blogger.com

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by madazz

Ultima Forever is not an MMORPG. It is a 4 player game where the map acts like a lobby. Think the original guildwars. I enjoy the game, have a level 10 warrior I hop on now and then, but there is no way you can justify calling a 4 player game an MMO. All you can do from the lobby is invite. Can't trade or anything. Partially due to no selling of items and trading of keys.

Not unlike NWO, DDO, and many other MMOs. Close enough for me.

Originally posted by MMOBlogger
    I didnt enjoy the game honestly. It just feels liek a cash in with the ultima name 2 me

Yes, and yet it is way more fun than UO for me. And it is free.

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972
    u will never get a clue nariuseldon, they shit on your plate and you eat it.
  • SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

editted because I relized this wasnt Garriott's..

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Sagasaint

ultima forever is Garriot's last shot in the foot

except it wasnt a shot but a missile

and it wasnt in the foot but in the forehead

Except that it's not from Garriott...

damn it, just as I was editting....

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Ive never played DDO, but I was told it isn't an MMO. Neverwinter is not an MMO. It is more like the original Guildwars (co-rpg) than an MMO. I have a level 27 trickster and 49 or 50 GWF. So I know what I am talking about. You will never see a massive amount of people in the same area playing the game. You will see quite a few in the lobby though.

If we are going to make MMO stand for multiplayer games, then we need to come up with a term that describes massively multiplayer games seeing as "massively multiplayer" no longer stands for a massive amount of people playing a game together. May you recommend what we should call massively multiplayer games now? I give up.... MMO can stand for 4 player games no prob, but what do I use when I want to describe a game with a massive amount of people playing a game together? Multiplayer = MMO = Single player from now on. EVERYTHING IS AN MMO!!! WOOT WOOT!!!!

Ignoring the main rules of english.... sad.... poor kids being raised by people who don't even know what an adjective is.

*edit - My question is real, if massively multiplayer means multiplayer, how do we describe a massively multiplayer game? This is how english works...

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Sagasaint

ultima forever is Garriot's last shot in the foot

except it wasnt a shot but a missile

and it wasnt in the foot but in the forehead

Except that it's not from Garriott...

Here is Garriott's version 

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/

Looks cool. Has the same kinda idea as Ultima Forever where as the map is the lobby and you enter instances. He clearly stated its not an MMO game, but has MMO like elements. I just hope its not all cash shop based. Im worried it will be.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

After U7, there is no good (for me) Ultima games. U8 was no fun, and U9 was a distaster. UO is so bad (for me) that i didn't even sub after the beta, and went over to EQ (another horrible story for me, but that is not for this thread).

Finally, Ultima Forever arrived. It is a nice little game that i can play for 5 min here and there, and with the best 2D graphics of all Ultima game (not too surprising, since we are in 2013, and all 2D ultima were made YEARS ago).

Don't get me wrong, it is no Diablo, or Splinter Cell, or even STO .... but at least a new Ultima game that i will play a little. I still have my cloth map from Ultima 6 hanging on the wall in front of me right now.

Oh .. and it is also a MMORPG (and i am using that term loosely) ... i don't even know that until i played for a while.

Is this a joke?

Smile

Ive never played DDO, but I was told it isn't an MMO. Neverwinter is not an MMO. It is more like the original Guildwars (co-rpg) than an MMO. I have a level 27 trickster and 49 or 50 GWF. So I know what I am talking about. You will never see a massive amount of people in the same area playing the game. You will see quite a few in the lobby though.

If we are going to make MMO stand for multiplayer games, then we need to come up with a term that describes massively multiplayer games seeing as "massively multiplayer" no longer stands for a massive amount of people playing a game together. May you recommend what we should call massively multiplayer games now? I give up.... MMO can stand for 4 player games no prob, but what do I use when I want to describe a game with a massive amount of people playing a game together? Multiplayer = MMO = Single player from now on. EVERYTHING IS AN MMO!!! WOOT WOOT!!!!

Ignoring the main rules of english.... sad.... poor kids being raised by people who don't even know what an adjective is.

*edit - My question is real, if massively multiplayer means multiplayer, how do we describe a massively multiplayer game? This is how english works...

MMORPG is nothing but a label. DDO and NWO not MMORPGs? Well, every industry site seems to think they are. Personally i don't care about a label.

But i will use the common categorization. If you can get IGN, gamespot, gamasutra to use another term for these games, let me know. I will change the usage.

MMORPG is nothing but a label. DDO and NWO not MMORPGs? Well, every industry site seems to think they are. Personally i don't care about a label.

But i will use the common categorization. If you can get IGN, gamespot, gamasutra to use another term for these games, let me know. I will change the usage.

MMORPG is a descriptor. Like FPS or RTS. Should RTS cover FPS games too since you are killing people?

So how should I refer to a massively multiplayer online game if MMO is already used for Multiplayer? You still haven't answered my question.

So how should I refer to a massively multiplayer online game if MMO is already used for Multiplayer? You still haven't answered my question.

A "virtual world" MMO? A "classical" MMO? A "old" MMO?

I really don't care about how. You can pick. I just follow common usage here. May be just refer to the specific game. May be "old MMO" as a category has lost its name because few cares about them.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

If you thought U9 was a disaster, then you were not an Ultima fan.  It had bugs galore thanks to EA, but it ran and could be completed in it's entirety.  U8 was the disaster (also under EA control).

Both U8 and U9 were released in EA tradition of releasing games early before testing.  (U7 and before was Richard Garriott and Origin Systems, before the company sold to EA - games ran flawlessly).

Richard Garriott at least stuck around to see that U9 had the flavor of Ultima .. and he also stuck around to make sure UO was solid, which it was.

Garriott was later fired by EA, then UO went downhill, and now the Ultima is a cashgrab against loyal Ultima fans.  You think "finally WE have an Ultima?" Guess again.

We have a game wrapped around another horrendous cashshop, curtesy of EA.  Yay?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Razeekster

Is this a joke?

I think so, move along ...

Originally posted by Karteli

If you thought U9 was a disaster, then you were not an Ultima fan.  It had bugs galore thanks to EA, but it ran and could be completed in it's entirety.  U8 was the disaster (also under EA control).

Both U8 and U9 were released in EA tradition of releasing games early before testing.  (U7 and before was Richard Garriott and Origin Systems, before the company sold to EA - games ran flawlessly).

Richard Garriott at least stuck around to see that U9 had the flavor of Ultima .. and he also stuck around to make sure UO was solid, which it was.

Garriott was later fired by EA, then UO went downhill, and now the Ultima is a cashgrab against loyal Ultima fans.  You think "finally WE have an Ultima?" Guess again.

So what if i am not a Ultima fan in your eyes. I would much rather be just a U6 fan (which i am, bought the special edition with the rune stone), and i don't like U9 and considered it a disaster.

Yay .. definitely. A Ultima game that i can enjoy for 5 min and than throw away is more entertaining that those i dislike enough not even want to spend a second in.

No one says i will play it till the end (so cash shop don't matter). I say "finally another ultima game i will play", i didn't say "finally another ultima game i will play for a long time" or "i will play to finish".

So what if i am not a Ultima fan in your eyes. I would much rather be just a U6 fan (which i am, bought the special edition with the rune stone), and i don't like U9 and considered it a disaster.

Yay .. definitely. A Ultima game that i can enjoy for 5 min and than throw away is more entertaining that those i dislike enough not even want to spend a second in.

No one says i will play it till the end (so cash shop don't matter). I say "finally another ultima game i will play", i didn't say "finally another ultima game i will play for a long time" or "i will play to finish".

You do not fall into the category of Ultima lovers then?

Good thing you brought the cash shop up, good advertising!  Cash shop don't matter = LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

< redundant post >  deleted.

I was actually liking this debate too :P .. oh well.  .. Dead topic now :(

Not if you keep posting.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

If we are going to make MMO stand for multiplayer games, then we need to come up with a term that describes massively multiplayer games seeing as "massively multiplayer" no longer stands for a massive amount of people playing a game together. Ignoring the main rules of english.... sad

That happens a lot here. Your point is of course correct and almost everyone here knows that but a select few here like to spam otherwise.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Originally posted by Arclan

If we are going to make MMO stand for multiplayer games, then we need to come up with a term that describes massively multiplayer games seeing as "massively multiplayer" no longer stands for a massive amount of people playing a game together. Ignoring the main rules of english.... sad

That happens a lot here. Your point is of course correct and almost everyone here knows that but a select few here like to spam otherwise.

yeah ... people keep spamming their literal interpretation of MMORPGs as if that will change how the industry categorize things.

Let me ask you this. Is DDO's gameplay massive? Is it categorize as a MMORPG on IGN, gamesplot, tentonhammer, and even here?

• AlastiAlasti Member UncommonPosts: 287
    I downloaded Ultima Forever and did not care for it at all....didn't "feel" like it should have...no real meaningful consequences for your actions.  In ULTIMA, I always felt like your actions had consequences.  Death MATTERED.
    Originally posted by Alasti
    I downloaded Ultima Forever and did not care for it at all....didn't "feel" like it should have...no real meaningful consequences for your actions.  In ULTIMA, I always felt like your actions had consequences.  Death MATTERED.

It does not in U6, nor U7.

But sure, you don't like it. I didn't say "finally another ultima game YOU will play", i said "finally another ultima game I will play".

Differences in gaming preferences are nothing new.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

If I find time, I will certainly check out this new Ultimate game. Thanks for the heads up Nari.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

A "virtual world" MMO? A "classical" MMO? A "old" MMO?

I really don't care about how. You can pick. I just follow common usage here. May be just refer to the specific game. May be "old MMO" as a category has lost its name because few cares about them.

if you aren't going to answer my question in a meaningful way don't even bother. Also, congrats on doing your usual cut/paste quotations so you can avoid answering questions you cannot lol! 

I think my job is done here.