Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Rift: The Nightmare of the Fae

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion Worlds has teamed up with MMORPG.com to bring our readers the next piece of Rift lore. In this story, Atrophinius dreams of Telara shrouded in darkness. Read this exclusive lore piece and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Atrophinius has had quite a journey these past few years. From Battlemaster of Fae Lord Twyl he was one of the first foes that gave the Ascended a true challenge. It was all a misunderstanding of course. Who would have known that he merely wanted to have a drink with his guests, and would fly into a rage when his supply of mead was destroyed? But that's just water under the lily pad these days. He's got responsibilities now. There's the harvest to plan, Fae Yule to ruin, Hailol to run, and he's got to do all this with his youthful ward Tasuil the dragon to train. It can be downright exhausting. He deserves a good night's sleep.

Read more Rift: The Nightmare of the Fae.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LungingWolfLungingWolf Member Posts: 73
    I always loved the lore which Rift offered. But, I no longer have any interest in the WoW style gameplay which Rift offers and, because of this, I moved on. And it felt bittersweet to leave that lore behind.

My wife feels the same way, but she keeps playing Rift because customizing her private dimensions is a lot of fun for her.

What a shame. Rift has a lot going for it—too bad it’s a WoW clone at heart.

Waiting for: Citadel of Sorcery. Along the way, The Elder Scrolls Online (when it is F2P).

Keeping an eye on: www.play2crush.com (whatever is going on here).

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Not only is a WoW clone, but it likes to "Poke the Panda" so to say at every turn they get. LOL makes me laugh. Trion made poor choices imo when it came to their marketing campaigns..... Never go after something you can't take down, but they try to at every turn.

I may not play WoW anymore, but I gave up on Rift much sooner than WoW! It had so much potential and yet they choose to mimic WoW at every turn instead of going their own path.

• blix2006blix2006 Member UncommonPosts: 415
    soooookkkiieeeeeeeeeee
  • ganntakganntak Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Rift is a great game, moved over from wow and love it. It's like wow for grown ups lol
  • SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Now that the game is F2P, it's an ok game for a WoW clone. Sadly, when you've played WoW, the game feels a lot more rubbish and unresponsive. Still, if you like this kind of gear grind game, it's worth checking out.
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

The real "The Nightmare of the Fae" is F2P, because even though Rift's F2P is far more gentle and giving than most, the REX thing, whereby players can essentially buy game currency for cash, makes Rift into a steaming pile.  REX is pretty popular.  Which means there are a lot of people readily willing to cheat to get ahead.

In any sensible game you would call RMT a bunch of crap and people who buy gold a bunch of cheaters.  So how is it ok for the company themselves to take over the RMT business and sell game currency to players?

This is just one reason why F2P is crap.  Play to win, not pay to win, and if you don't have time or balls enough to play and achieve, then don't play.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Voqar

The real "The Nightmare of the Fae" is F2P, because even though Rift's F2P is far more gentle and giving than most, the REX thing, whereby players can essentially buy game currency for cash, makes Rift into a steaming pile.  REX is pretty popular.  Which means there are a lot of people readily willing to cheat to get ahead.

In any sensible game you would call RMT a bunch of crap and people who buy gold a bunch of cheaters.  So how is it ok for the company themselves to take over the RMT business and sell game currency to players?

This is just one reason why F2P is crap.  Play to win, not pay to win, and if you don't have time or balls enough to play and achieve, then don't play.

Farm plat for days to get mount, spend $5 for that mount.........

All of the best stuff in Rift is earned in game. I don't know what you're getting at.

Rift

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376

Wow!  It only took one response before the usual I hate WOW tirades started. Darn thing is I thought the article was a bout Rift?

For those interested in bashing WoW, WoW clones, or anything resembling a fantasy setting I recommend this article for your edification.

• lagerchobglagerchobg Member UncommonPosts: 203
    You can farm as much as you want but it will take ages if You are a new player.
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

This sounds awesome. It's been a minute since I last ran RotF.

Rift has always been my go-to MMO ever since it came out. Every time I come back from a break I ask myself, "Why did I even leave?" Playing on Greybriar the last few days, Meridian and Tempest Bay have been packed full of people. Chat is active, and even the lower level zones are quite packed.

Just to share my experience from the last few days: I started leveling through the SL content, about half-way to 51 now, and I'm liking it. I took a break from leveling to go after one of those Hellbug mounts (I sunk a significant amount of time into Defiance and enjoyed it aside from some serious UI issues, not to mention the Hellbug mount looks awesome). I down-leveled to 15 and ran around Freemarch opening Rifts with a Fire Lure, trying to get the Invasive Creatures Rift to open. After about 10 Rifts, with 3 Hellbug Rifts, I got the green-rarity mount. I don't want to rush to 60, as I don't want to experience burnout, and I really want to experience and enjoy the story and content provided. 

As to all the "WoW-Clone" talk. I always felt it was more of an Everquest 2 clone :P . At least, that's how it felt for me. In the end though, you enjoy what you enjoy. For whatever reason (lore/story, style, classes/multiple roles, community, etc. etc. etc.) I enjoy Rift, but for the love of Jeebus I cannot seem to get back into WoW. Hell, just tried getting back into GW2, and managed to get to 30 before I started to get miserably bored. Rift manages, for the most part, to keep me entertained and wanting more. Personally, I think I'll be playing Rift until it's either just me left, or they shut down the servers.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by lagerchobg
    You can farm as much as you want but it will take ages if You are a new player.

Do you know how much burlap sells for?  

As a Master (soon to be Grandmaster, once I hit 60 first and have time to work on professions)  Outfitter, yeah, people make a killing from just selling things they loot, like cloth. I've easily spent THOUSANDS (if not 10k+ now) of platnium on buying that stuff. Of course, I do try and turn a profit on some of it, but most of it is for guild/friend usage. Anyways, yeah, making money in Rift isn't terribly difficult. 

• hardy83hardy83 Member Posts: 47

I find Rift has KIND of the same problem that Guild Wars 2 has.

In that, the lore in-game is presented so horribly or not at all. With the main difference being that if GW2 players want lore, it IS there, but on wikis, books and forums, while Rifts lore is just "potential".

It's a shame really. Rift has some pretty cool ideas about how the universe is made in terms of realities, energies and what not, but it's wasted in it's presentation and no other sources for lore junkies to go to.

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    The first realm of fae dungeon was really really cool.

• CalmmoCalmmo Member Posts: 52

Yes and in most such cases it's a combo of things. Games with equally bad presentation get praised some time for they simply copy an already existing lore like D&D which is the case with so many RPGs over the years. The ones that try to create their own world (albeit a similar one in terms of core concepts, but then again this is hardly a surprise or a copy of anything within gaming, roots are mostly to be found in medieval  fantasy writing of the early previous century)

Rift suffers from bad story-telling aka presentation. Everything has at least based backdrop story although most of the lore lacks any more than that (things such as origin story of said backdrop for example).