Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This has to be the most polished and best MMO (pre) launch ever!

Comments

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

And the real reason they "generously" extended the pre launch access and pushing out a full launch is because if it launches with the servers having the problem they are having now, the game will be one of those games like VANGUARD. That  nose dives due to terrible reviews of a massive bug limiting players from being able to even log in, or choose servers where their friends play because it is full.

Inside the game might be working ok but good luck getting there. The friend I have who is playing said she hardly ever gets to because the server her guild moved to is full and she doesn't have the choice to queue up. She literally has to sit there and keep hitting enter if she even wants to play.

Yes this game has issues.

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

It is polished and pretty and is damn fun!

When I can get on.  But server instability is norm and I think they were taken by surprise by the huge amount of interest in the game.   It is good, crafting is very different and I love it and the job system is really cool.

It has been clean, but the server problems have overshadowed that.  But when I do play, the servers are packed to the gills!

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    And to think it only took a complete failure and total remake of the game for them to put out a minimally acceptable product!

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by DMKano

Unable to even create a character due to server locks, server maintenances that failed to fix the issue - in my opinion this is one of the worst early access I've ever been a part of, by far.

So - play on Japanese servers, yeah it's not working out so well as I don't speak Japanese.

OP - how can you blatantly ignore massive technical issues with connectivity that are plaguing many?

You can't handle the truth.

http://kotaku.com/early-final-fantasy-xiv-launch-goes-surprise-badly-1198833060

Japanese servers have been down just the same. 

I do not ignore the issues, i never said that. I said they are to be expected and without speculating about the cause and giving "expert technical advise" like so many armchair IT professionals on these forums, i can only say that whatever caused these problems must have taken them by surprise and their communication and reaction time is top notch.

Sure, it means that the servers are down and some people can not log in, but is this really a life threatening and major issue for you.

Let's be honest here: If this game stays for 10+ years like FFXI does and by the looks of it, is as solid and polished with incredible amounts of content, end game and fun then these few birthing issues are a very small price to pay.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    And to think it only took a complete failure and total remake of the game for them to put out a minimally acceptable product!

Yep.  It's funny that someone is trying to sell this as an initial launch.

FFXIV was one of the worst AAA MMOs launches in history - back in 2010.  Just a terrible game.  This is three years later - it's not an initial launch, and it still has a bunch of problems.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• anaximeanaxime Member Posts: 14
    Not to be a debby downer, because I really do love the game, but you must have missed the worst of it. The servers were down constantly, and for 2-3 hours at a time. There was a huge problem with being able to do instanced quests, which if you were in the lower levels, was game breaking. If you couldn't do the instanced quest you were pretty much stuck. I must have waited around for 3 hours plus maintenance time just to be able to do the one instanced quest that would let me continue. Even after every maintenance, the problem continued. All in all it seems they have some major server issues that they need to work out. That being said though, every other aspect of the game worked pretty flawlessly as OP said, and as long as they get the servers running smooth, i'll be playing this for a long time.
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    I got to play a little Saturday morning, but couldn't get in at all on Sunday.  I'll give it a week and then jump back in.
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Senden Originally posted by Darwinian Okay so I noticed that they extended early access til the 29th. Um does the game still not come out on the 27th or am I missing something?
    No it just means early access people have an extended grace period to register their full cdkeys. A lot of MMOs do this.
    Name some recent ones that extended early access like this? TSW - no; GW2 - no; SWTOR - no; TERA - no. Senden - please back what you say up.

This is a re-launch since ver. 1 was so bad.

All the server hiccups give me pause. That is not a good sign.

I wish people GL with enjoy this game - it just seems like more of the same ol' usual MMO stuff wrapped in an Anime setting.

"I wish people GL with enjoy this game - it just seems like more of the same ol' usual MMO stuff wrapped in an Anime setting."

I agree, and I found it just plain boring though the graphics are very nicely done. Much like GW2, looked good to me, but I just found the game-play awful.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by Senden
    Originally posted by Senden
    Originally posted by Darwinian
    Okay so I noticed that they extended early access til the 29th. Um does the game still not come out on the 27th or am I missing something?

No it just means early access people have an extended grace period to register their full cdkeys. A lot of MMOs do this.

Name some recent ones that extended early access like this? TSW - no; GW2 - no; SWTOR - no; TERA - no. Senden - please back what you say up.

This is a re-launch since ver. 1 was so bad.

All the server hiccups give me pause. That is not a good sign.

I wish people GL with enjoy this game - it just seems like more of the same ol' usual MMO stuff wrapped in an Anime setting.

Wrong, SWTOR did. That was the last MMO I was a part of the launch and I remember them giving early access players two-three days extra to add their cdkeys. 

WOW - one out of all the MMO's released. Based on what I have seen this game ranks with D3 for a release - kind of MEH.

Can someone explain to me how this is relevant?  I don't understand how having a couple days to register your CD keys relates to Early Access being successful, or how it's even worth arguing over.

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

All you need to do is go to the SE forum to see this is anything but a good launch.

There are people out there with game keys that are still invalid, people who haven't received the key they purchased.  People who spent money have no idea how to redeem their product...and SE has been silent for a few days now about it.

Most people are having a very difficult time with the game.

Stating that its a smooth launch is easy to say if you are one of the few who have purchased the game with no issue and are able to actually play.

Just go to the SE website, take a look at their post wall and see all the problems people are happy.  Go to the FFXIV forum and look at all the refund requests from people who cant play, or who have paid and haven't received their game for days...or people who bought from a 3rd party site and got invalid game keys.

Check out the SE main forums and see more issues of the same.

You are in the minority if you had no issues.

SE is 100% silent about anyone with issues.

Im not even sure if the code I have is fraudulent or not...or if they just disabled the code registration.

*edit* at least GMG responds...out of their hands the fact that they sold an invalid game key.  I have to deal with the silent SE regarding the issue.

Originally posted by anaxime
    Not to be a debby downer, because I really do love the game, but you must have missed the worst of it. The servers were down constantly, and for 2-3 hours at a time. There was a huge problem with being able to do instanced quests, which if you were in the lower levels, was game breaking. If you couldn't do the instanced quest you were pretty much stuck. I must have waited around for 3 hours plus maintenance time just to be able to do the one instanced quest that would let me continue. Even after every maintenance, the problem continued. All in all it seems they have some major server issues that they need to work out. That being said though, every other aspect of the game worked pretty flawlessly as OP said, and as long as they get the servers running smooth, i'll be playing this for a long time.

Yeah, i had the same issues. Guess what, i went on to do other things because there are so many things to do in this game it's making my head spin. On top of that, every time there where issues they had a maintenance within the hour.

Sure, it was offline for 2 hours but it's not a big deal, at least not for me. I watched a movie with my partner, took a shower, went shopping, took a nap, played some BF3 with a buddy on-line. You know, there is this whole other world out there, you don't need to play FFXIV.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by taus01
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Syno23
    And yet people are still complaining like crazy. It's almost hiserical.

It is but i am not surprised. We live in a society where the only outlet people seem to have is to bitch about unimportant things like game downtimes or iPhones not available at launch, Justin Bieber's new haircut or their favourite TV show being canceled.

All the while their corrupt governments spy on them every day, take half of their money as "taxes" and give it to the Banks and rich, lie to them every day and kill other people in foreign countries most of them can't even point out on a map.

One would think there are bigger issues to get mad about, but the brainwashing seems to be quite effective.

Your experince with game isn't universal for rest of the playerbase.

Talking about 'bigger issues' ..... i guess only you are allowed to rant about things that bother you.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/369483/page/1

So you took the time to dig up a thread that is not enforces my point showing how another MMO dropped the ball on promises and release features backed up with facts and call it a rant. Look, sport, there is a difference between a rant and a fact list of developer quotes and delivered features.

I must say, the length some people go to discredit a post that is based on facts. My advice for you, just let it go.

Dig up? nope i have it bookmarked.

I just wanted to point out the double standards. Everyone rants here..every one bitches and moans..the only thing that changes is the 'game' in question. 

Your right to complain is as valid as those who are having issues with the launch. So how about you stop generalising and insulting them? 

Bookmarked! Why thank you, /bow

I am sure they feel terrible not being able to log in. I just don't see the rage and entitlement some people seem to have regarding these trivial issues.

What I pointed out was that a few birthing issues with the server load are hardly a big deal looking at the big picture. I think you are reading things into this thread that are not there.

No one is paying yet. This is a freebie early access.

Yes bookmarked because i was actually in support of what you posted earlier. But now i am not so sure. Who is the authority here to decide what issues are 'bigger' and worth ranting on forums? definitely not you. 

So yeah i find it very hypocritical to call people 'brainwashed' and insult them for complaining about launch issues. 

You had a smooth launch? good for you but not everyone is going through same experince here. There right to complain is a valid as yours. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• fuzzylogic11fuzzylogic11 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Lets keep in mind that they have already released this game once. Yes there has been a ton of work done but they have gone down this road already.

Bookmarked! Why thank you, /bow

I am sure they feel terrible not being able to log in. I just don't see the rage and entitlement some people seem to have regarding these trivial issues.

What I pointed out was that a few birthing issues with the server load are hardly a big deal looking at the big picture. I think you are reading things into this thread that are not there.

No one is paying yet. This is a freebie early access.

Yes bookmarked because i was actually in support of what you posted earlier. But now i am not so sure. Who is the authority here to decide what issues are 'bigger' and worth ranting on forums? definitely not you. 

So yeah i find it very hypocritical to call people 'brainwashed' and insult them for complaining about launch issues. 

You had a smooth launch? good for you but not everyone is going through same experince here. There right to complain is a valid as yours. 

I did not have a smooth early access (there is no launch yet). I had the same issues, i just do not think they are that all important to mention considering the time i did spend in game outweigh these little annoyances by a million.

I think you are taking things out of context here and still seem to have trouble distinguishing between. "WoSrt Game lauch evaa!" posts and constructive and researched criticism as in my post about GW2.

Let me ask you this. Do you really think that this botched early access is more important than so many of the economical and social issues we have these days?

Anyroad, i am off playing FFXIV now, since it works right now.

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112

Well... almost all the members of the guild Im in are having trouble actually connecting to the server.  I myself cannot say anything as I never got my early access codes.....

BUT when they are in game they says its really good so I guess it is a fairly smooth launch?

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

So far the only problem i had are a few emergency maintenance windows and a login queue. Something that i expected as every MMO release with massive amounts of players trying to connect will cause issues that are extremely hard to prevent in advance.

The amount of polish this game has beats every other MMO out there, even the ones released for more than a year.

1. NO Missing, Not working, Skills or abilities

2. NO Broken Quests or Missions

3. NO Missing or not working classes or issues with the character creation

4. NO Broken Auction House

5. NO Broken UI, bad translations

6. NO Server crashes or client crashes

7. NO Stuck, glitched, falling through world

8. NO Graphical bugs

So there you have it, all i hear is some bitching about server congestion. If that is really your only problem during the free early access phase which has now been generously extended then you need to maybe find another hobby.

Enjoy the game, i know i will.

Tera sucked end game as the pvp was crap, but that game's launch was the best I've ever seen.  Just my opinion.  Also, didn't like SWTOR at all...but that had a solid launch from what I remember.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
     these few birthing issues are a very small price to pay.

Your post contradicts your original post.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by Vutar
    Are you paid by SE to say this? Only someone paid by them could make this post with a straight face. They literally kept many players from even logging in for two days.

Yep, and it continues.  8:10am on a work day and servers are full.

The game is ultra dumbed down and generic.  It should work well since it's just a mod of a game created over 2 years ago.  Stripping and simplifying a game makes it easier to polish it.

The game is fun, even if it's bland.  The game has good graphics for an MMORPG.  The game is solid and plays well IF and when you can play it.

The game is not without glitches.  Duty finder, which is critical to the game in several ways, has been a disaster.  Even when they are intentionally not letting people on servers it still can't handle the load.  They didn't set it up well technically and/or they don't have enough servers.  Something.

Polished game itself.  Yes.  Worst MMORPG release in recent history/memory.  Yes.

Servers have been down for hours at a time repeatedly and no progress has been made.  Their solution of just not letting people play at all and locking them out of the game is no way to treat paying customers and NOT a solution.

Overall, their communication utterly sucks.  About all you can get out of them is the repeated "we're sorry, please cooperate" nonsense.  No explanations.  No plan.  Often nothing at all for hours at a time.  This weak of communication has never been acceptable and in this day and age of social media when people tweet their every fart and move it's even more ridiculous.

The NDA is still there to some extent and I'm sure the gaming press is forbidden from discussing the game until tomorrow.  SE should get hammered for the horrible launch really soon here.

It didn't have to be this way.  With all the years they've tied up in this game, doing a proper open beta and stress test should have been part of it.  Their OB wasn't even open, it had highly restricted access.  They knew the pre order numbers.  Holding off to register people for live until days before release was pretty dumb.  Failing to realize the hype level of their own game was dumb.  They had years and years to set up for a clean release and dropped the ball - there is so much they could've done.

And as always none of this will matter.  MMORPG players don't care as long as they get their fix.  In a few weeks when these issues finally blow over, nobody will be talking about them at all.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

This game might even beat out ESO for me, I was so looking for ESO but this game.....   all I can say is....

AMAZING!

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

I have tried to login since Saturday night and it will not show the list of NA servers half the time, when my server (cactuar) does show, it lets me click login, then it says "server full, try again later"

so I have not been able to play my character since Saturday....... Horrible pre-launch for me.

The game is polished because this is a remake of a failed game. They had 2 years to fix everything and test it all out in beta.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by fistorm

This game might even beat out ESO for me, I was so looking for ESO but this game.....   all I can say is....

AMAZING!

I am in ESO beta and that game is a lot more fun and has a lot more modern/innovative features too.

However, FFXIV has the final fantasy classes, spells, items and characters that people love, so for a true FF fan its a hard choice.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

So far the only problem i had are a few emergency maintenance windows and a login queue. Something that i expected as every MMO release with massive amounts of players trying to connect will cause issues that are extremely hard to prevent in advance.

The amount of polish this game has beats every other MMO out there, even the ones released for more than a year.

8. NO Graphical bugs

So there you have it, all i hear is some bitching about server congestion. If that is really your only problem during the free early access phase which has now been generously extended then you need to maybe find another hobby.

Ye ye ye, every time someone makes a thread going "worst launch ever", there must be someone that will counter it with "best launch ever", because he is affraid he won't be noticed if he just answers in the first thread, and the balance of the force must be maintained. Because a game can't have NORMAL launch it mast be apocalyptic or godly. And the fight goes on like in freaking kindergarten.

This makes you just as bad as the guy who wrote about how bad the launch was.

If you completely don't give a damn about people who have different experience and can't even login to the game and completely don't give a damn about them having different opinion, saying that they are wrong and you know better, then why in the world would you think, that they will care about yours?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

8. NO Graphical bugs

How did they extend early access to the 29th when the game releases on the 27th?

Are they talking free play time? Or you have until the 29th to input your launch codes and sign up for a subscription? What?

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by BadSpock

8. NO Graphical bugs

How did they extend early access to the 29th when the game releases on the 27th?

Are they talking free play time? Or you have until the 29th to input your launch codes and sign up for a subscription? What?

You have until the 29th to input lauch codes.

Other than OP, I can't tell if people claiming extension as an excuse are trolling or not.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by khameleon
    Originally posted by fistorm

AMAZING!

I am in ESO beta and that game is a lot more fun and has a lot more modern/innovative features too.

However, FFXIV has the final fantasy classes, spells, items and characters that people love, so for a true FF fan its a hard choice.

I'll help you with that choice:

Does FFXIV offer the standard of play they set in other titles or are they taking their fans for granted?

Answer that to make your choice become easy.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.