Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars - The Old Republic is fun!

I played this game for like 10 minutes during beta long ago and the movement and lag was horrible, and a few other things annoyed me, so I stopped playing it and I never looked back.

Yesterday, I thought I'd give it another crack since it's been almost 2 years since release and I'm sure they've done a lot of work to it. I have also upgraded my computer and video card since then.

Well, I gotta say, I'm having a freaking blast! The game is great! Maybe it's nothing groundbreaking but I think it beats the crap out of all of the Asian MMOs out there.

The combat is awesome, the music, the sounds, the action, the graphics, the quests, all really great. Good American quality game. The PvP seems like it's good too, I made a character on the PvP server The Bastion.

I know I'm a newbie and maybe I'm in for an unpleasant surprise, so my questions are, why isn't this game no where on the front page of this website? It seems like it fell off the face of the Earth. Is the game not as good as I think it is? Does anyone here play it anymore?

Comments

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by grimrot

I played this game for like 10 minutes during beta long ago and the movement and lag was horrible, and a few other things annoyed me, so I stopped playing it and I never looked back.

Yesterday, I thought I'd give it another crack since it's been almost 2 years since release and I'm sure they've done a lot of work to it. I have also upgraded my computer and video card since then.

Well, I gotta say, I'm having a freaking blast! The game is great! Maybe it's nothing groundbreaking but I think it beats the crap out of all of the Asian MMOs out there.

The combat is awesome, the music, the sounds, the action, the graphics, the quests, all really great. Good American quality game. The PvP seems like it's good too, I made a character on the PvP server The Bastion.

I know I'm a newbie and maybe I'm in for an unpleasant surprise, so my questions are, why isn't this game no where on the front page of this website? It seems like it fell off the face of the Earth. Is the game not as good as I think it is? Does anyone here play it anymore?

Its a silly cash grab, you'll see, best of luck in your "angry teen" adventure as a "sith" or as a mindless drone playing "jedi". Oh yeah, its not really star wars, its a space game with star wars written all over the website.

But hey, if you enjoy that and have deep pockets, why not? You should try world of warcraft if you're new to MMOs. Sure its "older" but it feels more recent than SWTOR.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Your about 2 years late mate, the boat has already sunk.
  • grimrotgrimrot Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by neobahamut20

You should try world of warcraft if you're new to MMOs. Sure its "older" but it feels more recent than SWTOR.

Yeah, I played WoW for over 5 years. It used to be great long ago. If by "feels more recent" you are referring to all of the new things I hate about WoW, maybe this is good news.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Enjoy it, its a decent game. Not a great game, but not a bad one either.

If youre a subscriber, which is only $15 a month you get everything in the game except some cosmetic items. Most of which I'll say are cool, but not needed.

Dont listen to the naysayers. They are going to try their best to convince you youre wrong and you shouldnt be enjoying yourself.

And most of the complaints about the item store are people who expect something, or all of it, for nothing.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    It is fun...at first...but rapidly runs out of steam once the star wars gleam  wears out and you realise it's very shallow game with far too much money put into cutscene actor fees, Lucas IP fees and far too little money put into coming up with a new and innovative system worth your time. Add to that largely dead worlds and with an increasingly diminishing audience you'll have nothing but manikin NPCs to interact with once you leave the early worlds. Still, it's free so finding all this out won't cost you anything as long as you don't do anything silly like blowing money on the ludicrous cash shop. Lucky you.                 
  • crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

I played it for a couple of months and enjoyed it. I left when they first announced the closure of the APAC servers, and I've never felt inclined to return. It's by no means a terrible game, but you won't find a lot of love for it on this site. 

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

It's mediocre.

Not crap but not great either.

Just......mediocre.

Oh and it's a singleplayer game more than a MMO.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    It was above average for sure, but really dragged down by terrible grouping and almost no enemy variety (in terms of how they fight; they look different, they just don't force different strategies upon you so combat gets repetitive fast.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

For me, the story was always the thing in SWTOR. I leveled EVERY class and enjoyed each individual storyline. However, once you are done with the story, the game is just so much "rinse and repeat" content for any MMO out there. I played raids with my guild for a long time. Tried PvP. Even tried to keep up with LAME daily missions they provided. But once they dropped into the so-called "f2p" model...it was time for me to leave. F2p brought too many annoying things such as constant "reminders" that you could get this or that item on the in-game store. Ruined my experience. I dropped my sub...tried to play "f2p". Lost too much in the transition so finally just left the game for good.

Again, story good. "End game" and f2p, not so much.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

It was a blast at first. Very easy to quickly render it as one of the best during the first day. However, the story quickly got old. It started to feel like I was watching a cartoon movie as opposed to actually have a character with real choice.

I'm done with the games that completely guide me. Ugh. Boring,

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

If it suits your requirements of a fun game: perfect.

For me the experience led me to walk away from this game.

I like mass PVP, PVP in general, and exploration.

The game may have improved quite a bit, but I doubt I can explore what's behind 'that hill over there' and not run into a invisible wall, fly in space to wherever I want without playing a 5 min cutscene where all I can do is press the fire button and aim, or go from 50fps to 1fp5secs when more then 5 players are in the same place pvping.

untill they fix that, I keep hoping.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Its a silly cash grab, you'll see, best of luck in your "angry teen" adventure as a "sith" or as a mindless drone playing "jedi". Oh yeah, its not really star wars, its a space game with star wars written all over the website.

If he is having fun, all these things you said is irrelevant.

Personally i don't like TOR but fun is subjective. Obviously lots of players find it fun. Otherwise, it won't have so many active players.

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    I think its fun till about level 25. Then it gets old real fast.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

I won't lie, I had a great time too the first run through. Maxed out a bounty hunter. I was killing enemies 2-3 levels higher like it was nothing too... maybe BH's were OP lol.... anyways, the problem is the game has an "end game". You have no open ended content to build your char up at all at the end. You are left to repeat the same dungeons and quests over and over and over again so that you can get new items that make it easier to do those same dungeons over and over again.

I wanted more! While I crave an open PvP sandbox game more than anything, I'm not against other types of MMO's, and this is one that I found quite entertaining. I heard there has been quite a bit of content added so I actually thought of re-downloading this past weekend.... maybe I actually will now lol

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

But hey, if you enjoy that and have deep pockets, why not? You should try world of warcraft if you're new to MMOs. Sure its "older" but it feels more recent than SWTOR.

Think you are gonna get an honest opinion out of this guy? Read his signature... lol 

Originally posted by madazz

I won't lie, I had a great time too the first run through. Maxed out a bounty hunter. I was killing enemies 2-3 levels higher like it was nothing too... maybe BH's were OP lol.... anyways, the problem is the game has an "end game". You have no open ended content to build your char up at all at the end. You are left to repeat the same dungeons and quests over and over and over again so that you can get new items that make it easier to do those same dungeons over and over again.

I wanted more! While I crave an open PvP sandbox game more than anything, I'm not against other types of MMO's, and this is one that I found quite entertaining. I heard there has been quite a bit of content added so I actually thought of re-downloading this past weekend.... maybe I actually will now lol

That is the spirit. Many games have decent content. It does not get boring until you have to repeat (and few is fun even with some repeats).

You can always play the content, leave and only come back when there is more.

Disclaimer: i don't like TOR because of its combat & content, but i can totally see how some others enjoy it a great deal .. very much showing the differences in gaming preferences of individuals.

• PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by karmath

I have to admit it was great fun watching it crash and burn.

Almost as much as Dark and Light, but not quite...not quite at all.

Originally posted by Piechunks
    Originally posted by karmath

I have to admit it was great fun watching it crash and burn.

Almost as much as Dark and Light, but not quite...not quite at all.

What crash and burn? It was revived by f2p. It has as many subs as Eve, a lot more active players, and make more money.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Why is SWTOR known as a failure? It is a successful niche game with a profitable player base.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Yeah it's worth the $15 a month sub , a fun game. I play all the time , only got 6 characters left out of my 16 left to max out , I'm hopefully getting my PT Tank from 53 to 55 playing makeb over the next few days.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]