Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SE's biggest mistake......

RufftimesRufftimes Member UncommonPosts: 47
The biggest mistake SE made with ARR is that they didn't launch it like FFXI. They should have released in in Japan only for a year prior to NA market get a chance to play it. Bottom line is the NA crowd is has zero patience, zero tolerance and jumps at any reason to find fault. If they had just released in Japan only, they would have had months to iron out all the bugs, get everything running perfectly, and then gone for a NA launch. Then the only thing we'd have to whine about is how we didn't get the game sooner.....

Comments

• Elegance92Elegance92 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Rufftimes
    The biggest mistake SE made with ARR is that they didn't launch it like FFXI. They should have released in in Japan only for a year prior to NA market get a chance to play it. Bottom line is the NA crowd is has zero patience, zero tolerance and jumps at any reason to find fault. If they had just released in Japan only, they would have had months to iron out all the bugs, get everything running perfectly, and then gone for a NA launch. Then the only thing we'd have to whine about is how we didn't get the game sooner.....

In all honesty that might have been the best, since there can be no honest race to cap anyway, due to legacy characters.

• MLecl0001MLecl0001 Member Posts: 153

Or you know they could have used their brains and done their jobs.  You know like actually have a bigger open beta so you can run into bugs that only pop up when huge amounts of people try to bombard your server.  Also you know maybe have extra hardware up and ready to boot up and going ASAP.  But then again why would any one expect that?

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    What are you dorks babling about? I have been playing all day, there was a little downtime around 4 or 5 ish but that was it... Just shut it already lol
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• RufftimesRufftimes Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by MLecl0001

Or you know they could have used their brains and done their jobs.  You know like actually have a bigger open beta so you can run into bugs that only pop up when huge amounts of people try to bombard your server.  Also you know maybe have extra hardware up and ready to boot up and going ASAP.  But then again why would any one expect that?

I don't know why anyone would expect that, it hasn't happened in a single MMO I've ever tried at launch. Maybe there is a lot more to it than just hitting the "easy" button and server issues are solved.

Sorry, but I've seen these "worst launch ever" threads for every single MMO I've ever played

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I concur. I don't know many mmorpgs that released simultaneously in two regions that speak two different languages and on 2 different platforms all playing on the same servers. I just figured there would be some issues with trying to accomplish such a feat. But who am I to point out such a miniscule task.....has any company done this before?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80

imagine the nerd rage if they did that.  it would be so funny. 

Originally posted by bubbabill

imagine the nerd rage if they did that.  it would be so funny. 

And that's the point of this thread. There wasn't any nerd rage when they did it with FFXI. Everyone is too spoiled now. By what I'm not sure, because there hasn't been a largely successful game since FFXI aside from WOW, and everyone who launched that game remembers what a mess that was.

I remember the head start of Rift, I thought it was unbelievably smooth for a new launch, but you saw these exact same, "worst launch ever" and "I demand a refund!" threads

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

In all honesty, have you no idea exactly what is going on here to make the NA/EU community mad?

You must have no clue...because this isn't normal launch hiccups with a few servers full ect and some hardware failures.

Go check out the main forums.  See how just about everyone who bought the game this weekend up to present failed to get the activation code they purchased.

The JP servers everything is going just fine, so testing there a year wouldn't have done much as they are not having an issue.  In fact most NA/EU players are trying to migrate there just so they can play.

I agree the NA/EU community is whiney ect...but this time I see a legit reason to be ticked.  This isn't some indy company releasing a niche game here.  Its a major IP launch with a lot of hype and fans. 

There was no reason to launch with so few servers...what 5 total between EU/NA?

• Bluefear77Bluefear77 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by thunderC
    What are you dorks babling about? I have been playing all day, there was a little downtime around 4 or 5 ish but that was it... Just shut it already lol

Are you really Joffrey Lannister? Because you sound like a him...

• Elegance92Elegance92 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Strangerous

In all honesty, have you no idea exactly what is going on here to make the NA/EU community mad?

You must have no clue...because this isn't normal launch hiccups with a few servers full ect and some hardware failures.

Go check out the main forums.  See how just about everyone who bought the game this weekend up to present failed to get the activation code they purchased.

The JP servers everything is going just fine, so testing there a year wouldn't have done much as they are not having an issue.  In fact most NA/EU players are trying to migrate there just so they can play.

I agree the NA/EU community is whiney ect...but this time I see a legit reason to be ticked.  This isn't some indy company releasing a niche game here.  Its a major IP launch with a lot of hype and fans. 

There are most definitely more than 5 servers for NA/Eu, its more like 20 or 25.

The code issues from SE store are a global thing, even in asia we get those problems.

Amazon pretty much gave me my codes instantly for each of my purchases though.

Yes, but then you fall into the exact same trap Trion fell into with Rift." There aren't enough servers! MOAR servers!"So Trion adds a mess of servers. Then people choose to leave after their free month. "ZOMG! My server is dead! It's a ghost town in here!" Trion merges servers. "This game is dying! Server merges spell inevitable doom!" "I'm going back to WOW, too scared to invest my time in something that's gonna die!"

It's a self fulfilling prophesy. People doom games because of fear.....

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    They should have done open beta at least two weeks before EA if not three. Keep it going until you fix all the major issues. Problem solved. 
    Oh well, I'm stuck in a remote mine site until Thursday, where the internet is too slow to do ANY gaming. Now there's something to whine about! LMAO
  • JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

What's pissing me off is this lack of queue business.

Yesterday I could wait in the queue to login to my server and it was no big deal at all to wait 2 whole minutes.

Today it just says "server full try again" and I have to keep clicking over and over (and not getting on).

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    They should have done open beta at least two weeks before EA if not three. Keep it going until you fix all the major issues. Problem solved. 

Too many shoulda, woulda, coulda with this whole fiasco.

Fact still is this the third MMORPG title SquEnix is launching.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by NBlitz

Well it is a shoulda, woulda, coulda thread. :P

Yes, but then you fall into the exact same trap Trion fell into with Rift." There aren't enough servers! MOAR servers!"So Trion adds a mess of servers. Then people choose to leave after their free month. "ZOMG! My server is dead! It's a ghost town in here!" Trion merges servers. "This game is dying! Server merges spell inevitable doom!" "I'm going back to WOW, too scared to invest my time in something that's gonna die!"

It's a self fulfilling prophesy. People doom games because of fear.....

I still think it's a better solution as opposed to being blocked completely from logging in. You can't even get into the damn queue if the queue is above a certain number.

If there's no fancy shmancy technology in place like overflow or whatever then it comes down to "what is the lesser of two evils?"

Lose people because of the crappy way log ins / congestion are handled?

Lose people later on because they left naturally because they found the game boring and reduce server amounts when populations get low on certain servers?

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

I made the mistake of pre-ordering recently. Still have not received my email for the product code to get into early.... By the looks of it maybe that is not a bad thing, except the fact that I wasted 30 bucks to not get early access.... I already had 1.0 and debated on getting pre-order. Guess I should have waited :(

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

Hmmm, that is possible... or they could have done it right to start with...

Let's try a little hypothetical, shall we?

Two companies put together services(one each), they then announce that they will be doing a beta of the service for 58 hours...

During that time 20% of each of their entire-user base is affected by an error, let's call it 3102 for the sake of argument, and many of them can't connect for more than 50 hours.

Both companies announce that they fixed the problem and there is no need to worry.

Now one company then holds another beta to make sure that the problem does not re-occur.

The other company assumes that their fix should be good enough and there is no further need for testing...

Which of those companies do you think is going to have problems on launch day? Which of those 2 do you think represents SE?

Now before you go saying that this problem has nothing to do with the first problem, I will respectfully disagree on 3 counts. First, people are still locked out with 3102(granted not as many since the majority of players can't even play). Second, 3102 was associated with capacity issues. Third, their big stress test never had a chance to really stress their capacity because 20% of the population was locked out for as much as ALL of it, and the rest were having spotty connectivity(including, but not limited to 90,000).

As far as I can tell, they didn't prep properly, they didn't bother testing their fixes, and now there are apologists like you who are insisting that it doesn't matter and it could have happened to anyone. You are absolutely right, it could have happened to anyone who didn't bother taking basic precautions or using any common sense.

• ChocobroChocobro Member Posts: 64

You don't say, any other widely known facts you want to point out? They'll get their shit together eventually. Stuff happens with MMOs launch realese, you either bare with it or go somewhere else. If the game is truly great then it will be a success regardless if it had a good or rocky start.

Anyways, square should rename this to Barely Access image

Originally posted by Mors-Subita

Hmmm, that is possible... or they could have done it right to start with...

Let's try a little hypothetical, shall we?

Two companies put together services(one each), they then announce that they will be doing a beta of the service for 58 hours...

During that time 20% of each of their entire-user base is affected by an error, let's call it 3102 for the sake of argument, and many of them can't connect for more than 50 hours.

Both companies announce that they fixed the problem and there is no need to worry.

Now one company then holds another beta to make sure that the problem does not re-occur.

The other company assumes that their fix should be good enough and there is no further need for testing...

Which of those companies do you think is going to have problems on launch day? Which of those 2 do you think represents SE?

Now before you go saying that this problem has nothing to do with the first problem, I will respectfully disagree on 3 counts. First, people are still locked out with 3102(granted not as many since the majority of players can't even play). Second, 3102 was associated with capacity issues. Third, their big stress test never had a chance to really stress their capacity because 20% of the population was locked out for as much as ALL of it, and the rest were having spotty connectivity(including, but not limited to 90,000).

As far as I can tell, they didn't prep properly, they didn't bother testing their fixes, and now there are apologists like you who are insisting that it doesn't matter and it could have happened to anyone. You are absolutely right, it could have happened to anyone who didn't bother taking basic precautions or using any common sense.

I never said it could have happened to anyone, I said it DOES happen to EVERYONE. Every launch goes exactly like this. Even WOW.....

That's why I don't do early access. The three days means nothing six months into the game.

• IMBanksIMBanks Member UncommonPosts: 75
    What I don't get is why the launch in Japan (with presumably the same game code and server technology) was flawless and the NA/EU launch was and is so troubled. I played all day today on a Japanese server with a newly-rolled character, and it was a joy. I'm not even sure that I'll return to Adamantoise when the NA server issues get sorted.

...and it really is just server issues. The game itself, on all servers, seems solid. Reminds me of the old joke, though: 'Other than *that*, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?'.
    Originally posted by Chocobro

You don't say, any other widely known facts you want to point out? They'll get their shit together eventually. Stuff happens with MMOs launch realese, you either bare with it or go somewhere else. If the game is truly great then it will be a success regardless if it had a good or rocky start.

Just saying. Anything else is just supposition on my end and I'm done with that.

Anyways, square should rename this to Barely Access image

Hah image

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by IMBanks
    What I don't get is why the launch in Japan (with presumably the same game code and server technology) was flawless and the NA/EU launch was and is so troubled. I played all day today on a Japanese server with a newly-rolled character, and it was a joy. I'm not even sure that I'll return to Adamantoise when the NA server issues get sorted.

...and it really is just server issues. The game itself, on all servers, seems solid. Reminds me of the old joke, though: 'Other than *that*, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?'.

Seems it's a data center issue, region specific.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

They HAD months to iron all this crap out. They didn't use that time at all to stress test the game properly. As many have already said, these aren't exactly 'new' issues. These bugs have been in the game forever, and keep coming back.

It's clearly a much larger problem that they just keep bandaging, instead of properly dealing with it. It's sloppy work, to say the least.

While I agree with you about the general impatience of the NA market, they have a right to be annoyed / angry this time. I can't think of ANY country where this kind of incompetence would be tolerated, outside of maybe India or Uganda.

But hey, it's not Squeenix's fault. They just can't seem to manage their game. It's our fault for expecting them to do a good job. Right?