Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FF 14 ARR Early launch a complete failure or a "normal" thing?

12346»

Comments

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Vutar

It is normal for there to be some hiccups when an MMORPG releases. The problem is this isn't a release, they had that in 1.0. One would think that after a couple years SE would have been better prepared for the problems.

ARR is A whole new game new engine NEW servers everything they may have beena ble to reuse some assest but thats about it

• Angerfist1Angerfist1 Member Posts: 11

I am looking forward to a detailed explanation from the producer.  I don't want any apologies.  I want technical specifications, who was in charge of the hardware department and when they will be infront of Square-Enix headquarters in a pillory box.

Oh, wait, none of that will happen.

I would like to see them migrate new characters to a different server and add more servers to alleviate some of the problem. 

They definitely have hardware issues.

They will learn from this.  Non-constructive complaints don't really help, but they may make you "feel" better.  I recommend alcohol.

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199

As someone who loves the game, and has been generally willing to forgive a few mishaps, I find that after another 7 hours of not being able to log in, following a FOURTH emergency maintenance, I can no longer defend Squerror-Enix.

This is untenable, and is now one of the worst launches I have been a part of.

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125

I've gone through alot of MMO launches, and have worked in the gaming industry with some. This is definitely not the worst, but not the best. I'd expect some moderate to severe problems for the next week or two before every thing gets smoothed out. I had worse times with WoW and Aion launches personally. 

• StormXXXStormXXX Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by norli

get it in your Heads People.

1. This is not a Launch this is " early Access "

2. Early Access in general  has only one purpose " Stressing the Game, Network and Servers out for Max "

If you really think buying early Access means to get you an advantage I must dissapoint you.

I see by your low post number you didn't get the "there is no middle ground, there is only fail or win" memo.

Hehe. I hear ya.

There are reasons I don't pre-order and "early access" MMOs anymore. These are just 2 of them.

Lol, oh yeah.  Early access just means "Last Beta Test" really, even though people don't seem to realize that.  I have accepted it and there you go.  I just don't expect any MMO launch to be perfect.  And I think SE had more people waiting for this game than they thought.

Hell, I just pre-ordered it on a whim.  image

Early access is not beta, its a reward for buying the game before its released. But a smart person know you have no clue how something as big as an MMO will work when you turn everything on and it goes live. Its not beta but its not outside of the norm.

I think i am starting to see the truth after all these responses... This thing is far from norm in my opinion, but most people including you, and i can't blame you, think that this is all overreaction and we should just settle down and let things sort out.

True... mature thing to do in some aspect...

But then you just blatantly allow the publishers to get away with stuff like that.

I can imagine some guy in suit sitting in the office, thinking if they should spend more on backup servers and talking to the other guy near him: "Sure yea we will have problems, but yeah they will take it... No reason to waste any more money. A week or two and it will all settle down. Yea nothing new here. They should be used to it by now. They'll just bend over and... oh wait where was i. Ah yes we are not spending any more money." 

• robert4818robert4818 Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by robert4818

I think the biggest issue is that Square's Open Beta lasted 2-3 days.  These are issues that SHOULD have been sorted out during normal Open Beta Stress testing.  

That being said, this isn't uncommon for an MMO launch failure.  

Well, the problem is we don't take the studios and publishers to task.  I'm just as guilty as anyone else, so I'm not pointing a finger at you alone.

When PWE released NWO in open beta they knew there were bugs and issues, but they launched anyway because players accepted that. Really we should have sent a very clear signal, but as always we cave to impatience and just take the game as it is.

I'm not suggesting that they wait for the software to be completely bug and issue free. That's not realistic no matter what the software is.  I am suggesting they need to re-examine what they classify as showstoppers.  I also agree with you that the period of open testing and public "trial" be changed.  I think it should be extended to 2 - 4 weeks. Publishers are criticized for soft-launches, but an open play soft launch period could help the publisher ferret out unseen issues and allow players to try the game.  If the game is good people will then pay, no matter whether that is a box fee, subscription, cash shop, or some combination of that or something new.

Publishers could do a lot more to improve the launch process that don't just mean opening more servers, offering queues, or having staging areas.

Oh I agree that we don't hold companies to task.  Part of the problem for me is I WANT to play this game.  So, exactly how do I 'punish' (i.e. take to taks) the publisher if at the end of the day I still want to play the game.

Like I said, this isn't an uncommon launch issue.  Its just I do believe that these are issues that would have been solved had the stress testing lasted a little more than it did.  

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    If the official launch is anything like the EA it would pretty much be a disaster. Even by the low standards of MMO's the last two days have been pretty bad.
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    My wife and I canceled are pre-order today. We both like the game but decided to wait until they fix their problems. When my guild says everything is fixed we will buy the game and return. 
  • itsbigmikeitsbigmike Member Posts: 86
    I managed to get my arcanist to 15, marauder to 15, blacksmith to 12, armorsmith to 15, cooking to 10, fishing to 15, so I'm not really upset that the game is currently down. Hell, I went to brunch, got super drunk on unlimited mimosas didn't think twice until now. Get out of your chair and go do something productive for once and maybe maintenance to clear up launch issues won't upset you so much.

twitch.tv/boonmackle

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

This sums up my FF14 experience so far.

http://youtu.be/OZF0cvJhQgA

• rockraprockrap Member UncommonPosts: 8

The fact of the matter is this is a relaunch of a failed product. The poor implementation of a relaunch will further alienate those people hoping that things would be ok this time around, and will certainly not foster a new audience.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Twice bitten, GTFO

• Failure and it's only going to haunt the game long term.
  • PewpsockemzPewpsockemz Member Posts: 49
    Well, maybe there is a problem. I'm sure they will fix it soon enough. FF players are use to waiting so it should be no big deal.