Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FF 14 ARR Early launch a complete failure or a "normal" thing?

Comments

• morbitangelmorbitangel Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by StormXXX

Well seems to me like another failed mmo release.

Servers are down half the time either for maintenance or just not letting people in with multitude of error messages.

I've been trying to play since yesterday, but there is constant stream of problems preventing me from even creating a character. At the moment it's all European servers being "full" and not letting me make any new character there. I had to go and create one on NA server just to post on the official forum as the site tells me to pick a main character before being able to post. And even that probably at some poor bloke's expense since he will have to go to different server due to this one being 1 less character away from being full.

Last major BS release, that i remember, was WoW with servers being down half the time. I didn't have such problems even with Diablo 3.

I won't say i expected there won't be any problems. I mean last flawless release i remember in the mmorpg scene was Lineage 2 and that was ages ago...  But on this scale?

I know a lot of people specifically made some room in their schedule just to play the damn thing and not look at error 9000 or 10120 or whatever number pops up next to error message. image And then there is/was the problem with ps3 CE keys on PSN.

You would think that big companies would learn something from each other... And with so much riding on this game for SE (at least from the words of developers) man i don't know...

hate to tell you but i was there at launch of lineage 2 and it was anything but flawless lol most ppl couldnt even login cos the loginserver was being flooded.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Wouldn't consider it a failure but not a good launch either.

I mean anyone who manages to enter the game (I seem to be able to join after a couple minutes even when it tells me full some say it takes them hours, I don't know.) has been able to play for hours before the game had to go on maintenance over and over.

At the moment my biggest gripe is not the maintenance or servers full BUT there's no countdown message that the server is going down just poof lost connection!

I mean what the hell? warn me a minute earlier or 5 just say something so I'm prepared....

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    To be honest, I expected a better launch. It's not just the10102 and 90000 errors and the instance servers going down along with the shut downs, but the issues in getting EA keys and the NA players with the issues with the ps3 earlier in the week. The launch feels kinda rushed and clumsy. Although I understand that my bad experiences in the last day or so isn't the same as everyone elses, this has been the worse launch I have personally experienced since Vanguard. Rift, GW2, SWTOR, SW etc. have been much kinder to me.
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by flclimax
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by Syno23
    MMOs just do not launch correctly. I mean yeah, SW:TOR had the perfect launch, with sacrifices that pissed people off called waves. Guild Wars 2's launch was pretty much flawless. But that's because those people knew what they were doing.

GW2 launch was flawless? Did you forget about the connectivity issues where thousands of people couldn't connect to the servers. Then there were all of the issues with  the Trading Post, guild services and the mail system. There wasn't a working trading post for weeks. 

Maybe this will help remove the rosy tint from those glasses.. http://games.on.net/2012/08/guild-wars-2-launch-plagued-by-connectivity-issues-fixes-incoming/

problems with the trade post queues and server hopping guilds pale in comparison to not being able to log in and the game itself literally not working, plus there were literally(not a guess) millions of people unaffected by most of those issues issues. and all besides the trade post were remedied in days.

GW2 stayed live and almost 100% functional. RIFT and a few others have had actually smooth launches. FFXIV is normal for most MMO's, which is in practice terrible. It's on par with WoW's launch for crappiness with nowhere near the player traffic.

GW2 launch was far from perfect. Just like I stated. I was replying to the other person's post where they stated it was perfect....which it wasn't. Not even close. And there were a large number of people that could not connect to the servers. It wasn't just a few..... 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• StormXXXStormXXX Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by morbitangel

Servers are down half the time either for maintenance or just not letting people in with multitude of error messages.

I've been trying to play since yesterday, but there is constant stream of problems preventing me from even creating a character. At the moment it's all European servers being "full" and not letting me make any new character there. I had to go and create one on NA server just to post on the official forum as the site tells me to pick a main character before being able to post. And even that probably at some poor bloke's expense since he will have to go to different server due to this one being 1 less character away from being full.

Last major BS release, that i remember, was WoW with servers being down half the time. I didn't have such problems even with Diablo 3.

I won't say i expected there won't be any problems. I mean last flawless release i remember in the mmorpg scene was Lineage 2 and that was ages ago...  But on this scale?

I know a lot of people specifically made some room in their schedule just to play the damn thing and not look at error 9000 or 10120 or whatever number pops up next to error message. image And then there is/was the problem with ps3 CE keys on PSN.

You would think that big companies would learn something from each other... And with so much riding on this game for SE (at least from the words of developers) man i don't know...

hate to tell you but i was there at launch of lineage 2 and it was anything but flawless lol most ppl couldnt even login cos the loginserver was being flooded.

I remember that, but if you spammed that button hard enough you would eventually get in and play without any problems. They had some patches, but i don't remember anything that drastic.

• morbitangelmorbitangel Member UncommonPosts: 70

fact still is it was anything but flawless lol having to spam the login with a script isnt my idea of flawless.

not to mention the dupes that was around in interlude and for a bigtime in expansions most ppl dont even know bout

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by Rzep
    Sorry to hear you are having so many problems. For me this has been the smoothest launch ever. I've had no problems from purchasing, registering, character creation, playing. It's been pretty much perfect. Hell, I haven't even experianced that much lag in the main city.

Welcome to MMORPGs.

I wouldn't say this is a complete disaster but it's pretty bad.  The duty finder issues mean any player who wasn't in OB and that got to 10 have very little game to play since the first 10 levels are all but given to you and you can't do much of anything else without clearing 10.  The servers have been down or inaccessible almost as much as they've been up which is pretty sad.

I would rate it as a crappy launch but I don't know about a failure, and it's definitely not a normal thing.  The game is pretty solid outside of the fact that duty finder, which is critical to the game, has been hosed, and that we often can't get IN to the game because they simply can't handle the load.

SQEN made about zero effort to get ready for launch.  They didn't have a real open beta - they limited then shut down access to it so it didn't really stress their systems, and having it so close to launch meant they couldn't really fix anything they found or retest it with more OB for significant problems.

They didn't let people register for the game until within a week of launch and that was a fiasco.  If you had no problems with that, you were lucky or had perfect timing for the brief window where it wasn't completely hosed.

I'm glad I noticed the 3rd scheduled 3 hour "maintenance" of the day yesterday ended up only lasting an hour.  I got on and cleared 2 duty find roadblocks for my character.  It was pretty glorious, there was about 1/10th of the players online and you could actually enjoy the landscape instead of seeing a player every 10 feet.  The noob zones were almost empty.

It made me wish this game had some kind of channel thing like other games to keep zones less over cluttered during times of high pop.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• DritheDrithe Member UncommonPosts: 55

Let's see. Where to start?

Many people are without keys who preordered FFF 14, either from EB games or SE. Error 3201. Dear god that error. Then there were at least 3 more numbered errors I cant even remember. Questionable login issues having us to wait in Que. Now we have just plain old login issues where no one can get in. We have spent as much time with SquareEnix's repairs as we have actually playing it!

The game itself has quite a few bugs. Some quests have not worked. The instances to main quests do not work. I waited hours and hours to even get into just one. I was level 21 before I could get into Satasha or whatever the name of the level 15 instance was.

I just don't know what to think. Diablo 3 is coming out in 2 weeks. I think that SE has really dropped the ball on this mmo and I just don't see me paying 45 bucks plus 13 bucks a month to tweak and help make this game what it should be. Hell, they should be paying US to test for them!!!

End of line.

• robert4818robert4818 Member UncommonPosts: 661

I think the biggest issue is that Square's Open Beta lasted 2-3 days.  These are issues that SHOULD have been sorted out during normal Open Beta Stress testing.  

That being said, this isn't uncommon for an MMO launch failure.  

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by Drithe

I think that SE has really dropped the ball on this mmo and I just don't see me paying 45 bucks plus 13 bucks a month to tweak and help make this game what it should be. Hell, they should be paying US to test for them!!!

Not goig to comment on the rest as the bugs are annoying the heck out of me but you shouldn't be paying that much for the game in the first place, it only costs something like £14 for the box from Amazon.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Looks like the EU/NA servers are down again. The servers are are going of and on faster than New York traffic lights.
  • jarbyjarby Member Posts: 77
    This launch is not NORMAL!  dont tell me its fine , they shoud test EU / NA servers  more before start.  Another bad thing  is that we cant do anything about it so people try to calm down  its normal reaction ) 
  • phutton44phutton44 Member Posts: 5

Hey lets be honest here the launch has been rubbish and well here are my reasons why, its the same old same old with launches but I raise an eyebrow at this because its not as if during Early Access they weren't aware of potential player based numbers and the issues with games that have gone before.

1) Square Enix as a publisher will be aware of how many units they have sold reported by major retailers or bought direct and therefore can provide estimates though not accurate on the geographic location of their customers. I realise people play in different regions.

2) It is clear that the beta was very close to early access and really didnt give them time to mind the test results.

3) Early access is Early access and it means a packaged and completed game for the public to play, not another test based.

4) Based on [1] the people hosting the game should be aware of subscribers versus server requirements and therefore would have sized CPU, Memory, storage space, bandwidth accordingly for load. This a primary thing and should've been worked out and contingency in place, we know software causes issues and bugs are unavoidable. But redundancy should be in place for servers etc.

The analogy of buying car used a few times, holds true, i don't buy a partial car with features missing or incomplete and I expect the same. This is typical of software release, demand is never satisfied and really its avoidable. I would have expected a more reliable release.

Another thought, surely, given the money spent, resource etc to reboot this game they would have got this nearly *right*

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by Praetalus

It's an MMO launch. Actually, an early access launch. I can't remember the last game I played where there were 100's of thousands of people trying to log on and no issues. And if someone says GW2 I will donkey punch you. That was a pain in the ass too. 

Problem is.. you have a bunch of people where playing games is their only passion, not able to log onto their passion. So yeah, you're gonna have a ton of bitching. Things will be fine in a week or so and then people will find something new about the game to bitch about and why they're quiting LOL

You can try to punch me, but at least i was able to play the game i paid for(GW2) ;) and i feel sorry for You that You can't play the game You bought. Maybe they will resolve the issue on 27th or later, but what was the purpose to buy the pre-order? Early Access? Hahahah big joke :). I don't understand why nowdays publishers/developers can't secure enough bandwith for the game release? Like instead of getting 1Gbit take fuckin 100 for first month and then lower it ;). It;s fuckin 2013 and we still haven't seen a completly flawless MMO release.

My third eye sees future...i see big weave of hate in the next month directing towards FF XIV 2.0. 

• Angerfist1Angerfist1 Member Posts: 11

I agree with what Phutton44 said to some extent. 

They should have planned with redundant servers. I don't think that the redundancy is a problem.

They indicated that the problem with instances was that THE instance server could not handle the load.

That definitely points to planning. 

As we all know, the hardware and software are probably managed by different teams. I would hate to be the person responsible for this failure. They probably won't have a job tomorrow.

They definitely did not plan enough hardware resources to support this MMO.  I would have had 20-30 servers supporting instances. 

They obviously did not have enough NA servers for the early release dud to the overcrowding that I noticed in the cities.

I am certain that they will learn from these mistakes. 

Please remember that this is Early Release and NOT the day that it becomes available for everyone.  Perhaps the expectations were that there would be few problems, but IMHO that  is not realistic.  Expect the Official Release date to be moved back.

• mysticalspammysticalspam Member Posts: 64
    just wait till tuesday when the game launches.... tic...tic...tic... KABOOM!!!!!! looks like this ship is going to hit the iceberg twice...

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351
    My question why does the game not have a proper queuing system? I have not once gotten into the game with a wait on it, rather it says NO or it lets me in.... They have poorly planned this, and don't have the basic tools needed to make a MMO work, you need queuing, its not a fucking option with MMOs...
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I get a kick out of some of this stuff.

Yes FF14:ARR launch is bad. Really bad actually. But I love how people are going back and smoothing over all the other game's launches. Very few have actually had flawless launches. Downplaying how bad it actually was or how many times other game's servers were down during their launch.

Well, whatever. No matter what history this and other game's have, there's nothing to do but wait.

For most we can still go look at their forums from around the time of launch, to see the issues that were most brought up.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You do have to live with some issues in a MMO the first 2 weeks or so.

FF XIV however is a re-launch of the fixed up not so great game so one would expect less issues on it then in a first release, just like one would with westernized Asian games.

So, yes. SE could have handled this better, but it still isn't a disaster as long as they get things working as intended in the next 10 days or so. We MMO fans are used to bad launches and we usually forgive them as long as the game is good and they fix things up fast.

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Yeah, it's getting to be a fog-induced wreck.  It's a good problem to have (too much demand!) but SE is running out of time to get it fixed before it becomes a real disaster of a launch.

• icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105

These threads are funny.  So full of overreaction.

Lets judge the launch after a week, not before the official start date.  there is a reason why games do these early access, and this is exactly why.  remember D3's disaster day one?  It was just that, a day one thing.  Some games get lucky and not much goes wrong.  Some games don't.  

This has been the worst MMO launch recently as far as congestion issues, that cant be denied.  but it only goes into failure territory if we are still having these issues a week from now.  Congestion issues dont generally cause launches to be failures (because they are usually fixed within the first week), its buggy games.  And FFXIV is not buggy.

• icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by Serenes
    My question why does the game not have a proper queuing system? I have not once gotten into the game with a wait on it, rather it says NO or it lets me in.... They have poorly planned this, and don't have the basic tools needed to make a MMO work, you need queuing, its not a fucking option with MMOs...

The game does have a queuing system, it worked fine yesterday.  Today they have disabled it or altered it for some reason.

Right now the only real issue I have is the lack of communication.  the communication has been decent up until this afternoon, but now its sparse and useless.

• Angerfist1Angerfist1 Member Posts: 11
    Queue appears to be working now, to some extent.   It told me there were 396 people in the queue.  Then it said the server was full and disconnected me. lol
  • GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

Haven't been able to log into my NA character since I woke up this morning (now 9 hours).

4.5 hours of maintenance yesterday. 

28 hours with 3102 last weekend.

Game wouldn't let me complete my level 5 story quest even when I was logged in yesterday.

Welcome to a new MMO? 

SWTOR, TSW, GW2, and Neverwinter all had issues, even with core features (like GW2's AH and Neverwinters diamond exploit).  GW2 had dozens of event bugs and SWTOR was a joke with automated customer service droids offering no help at all for the numerous little issues that game was riddled with.

But at least I could play my main character(s) when I wantedFor me, FFXIV:ARR sets the bar for the worst kickoff to an MMO I've been a part of.  It doesn't matter if the issue is technical or logical, this has been a lousy ass experience.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    Originally posted by icculus2112
    Originally posted by Serenes

The game does have a queuing system, it worked fine yesterday.  Today they have disabled it or altered it for some reason.

Right now the only real issue I have is the lack of communication.  the communication has been decent up until this afternoon, but now its sparse and useless.

They've disabled it because they intend to throttle logins on a manually stepped-up basis, based on what they are observing in terms of loads on the bottleneck servers (not the world servers, but the duty server for example).  This is likely why the queue for the most part is being overriden, even when people do occasionally see it come up -- they have overriden the normal protocol for server caps which is managed by the queue in favor of a stricter login restriction regime.