Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One time password question

xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

Is it really one time?

For example if i sign into the game with one computer it'll ask me for it once. Then say later i'm on another machine it'll ask for it again as it's a new machine. Then later i go back to the other machine i wont have to enter it.

Mainly i don't want to be entering it ever fricking log in.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L

Comments

• StormXXXStormXXX Member Posts: 48
    Pardon me if i sound ignorant, but isn't that the "authenticator" generated password? If so that is indeed one time pass. Every time you log in - the authenticator generates you the new code.
  • JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I am pretty sure it is every time.  That would be standard protocol for authenticators.   I know some MMOs that use authenticators have gotten all fancy and made it one-time-per-PC, but they went out of the box to do that.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    OK thanks. Blizz does it once in and awhile which is sweet, don't play any Blizz games anymore but i was hoping it was along the lines of that, machine is authenticated and we'll check it once and awhile.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

It's the password you get from the authenticator. I'm currently using it, and you set it up by visiting your account at https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/Login?cont=account

I have to use the code everytime I want to log into the game or my account. So if you do set it up, make sure you save all the emergency backup stuff somewhere.

Hey thanks, i used the app for my phone, it's just a PITA at times.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Originally posted by r3t3
    OK thanks. Blizz does it once in and awhile which is sweet, don't play any Blizz games anymore but i was hoping it was along the lines of that, machine is authenticated and we'll check it once and awhile.

For the first couple of years that Blizz offered authenticators it was required every time you log in.  They just figured out a good compromise between security and convenience after a while.

It is still an option to require it every time for Blizzard games, by the way, it just defaults to the way you have it set.  You can change it.  (Not that you want to, based on your posts)

Use the app if you can as if the algorithim for the authenticator is hacked it's no better than a paper weight, the app can be updated. So i've read anyway.

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293

Yeah I dont get it either ... the name is confusing. One-time password suggest its one time but all other clues indicate its just another authenticator like most other MMOs. As in a second, ever changing password you have to enter every time along with your usual password as an extra security measure.

Havent been able to try it myself since (apparently) you need a released product registration key in your account before they allow you to set one up.