Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FF 14 ARR Early launch a complete failure or a "normal" thing?

Comments

• StormXXXStormXXX Member Posts: 48

Well i tried logging in again after a couple of hours of doing some stuff around the house and.... well entire NA/EU world group is down... at least for me it says "unable to obtain world list". Tried re-loging/restarting and it's still same. 

More on the topic. I actually now remembered (as some people hinted in their replies) about how Bioware did it.

They actually did the early access in waves. And as far as i now remember i didn't really have any issues. Well i didn't get the access code in first 2 waves, but it really didn't matter much as i was able to play normally almost immediately after getting the code and registering. Of course the game itself didn't deliver,  but that is another story for another topic.

I mean there is perfect example how it could be done with minimum pain to the customer and publisher. Yet they still stepped on same "turd" many others had to tread through. As if the "smelly footprints" didn't provide enough hints. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Agathos88
    Technically, it isn't even released yet. I'd say this is more than a successful launch, they didn't anticipate this many customers.

That means nothing to the people who are supposed to be playing right now.

• PoachinatorPoachinator Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Really if you want to play FFXIV you can,  just choose a Japanese server, everything will be in whatever language you chose for the client, and they are all asleep right now so its 90% US/EU running around with sillly names and playing the game.
  • TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Salenger

It has been a bit annoying but i had played for 4-5 hours yesterday and had no issues untul my duty quest, then it got a bit annoying.

But its the Early Access, this is why companies do it so they can iron out the last remaining issues before the retail launch date.

If this was an issue with say a smaller dev team then it would be horrendous and probably not get fixed for a week. but i think the current issues will be resolved within the day or definitely by tuesday.

Actually no, that's why they have open betas. Much like the one this game had a week ago (which didn't appear to solve much for them).

Early Access is primarily supposed to be for spreading the population of your game out, and giving people extra insentive to pre-order / buy more expensive boxes.

Huh, not quite... Early Access is to the people who arleady pre-ordered it, isn't it?

Anyway, launch days are allways a bit like this. I don't think you really can predict all the effects of a huge load of people trying to access servers at the same time... It's a couule of days and we'll be fine.

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913
    The game is awesome, but the launch is bad. I wouldn't say Simcity-esque, but so far they cannot cope with the load from 'early access'. 
  • trisoxtrisox Member UncommonPosts: 51
    another emergency maintenance just announced for in about 15 minutes. will last for 2 hours. Hope they will have stuff fixed by then
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Emhster
    The game is awesome, but the launch is bad. I wouldn't say Simcity-esque, but so far they cannot cope with the load from 'early access'. 

Basically this.  The game is absolutely amazing, and its driving me insane that I can't play right now and some of my FC members are hitting level 30.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• wirawan1234wirawan1234 Member Posts: 8

i use phoenix server (eu) and in last couple hours, before maintenance, i get connection lost to server 3 times

and i can confirm it's not my internet connection, i immediately download using idm (after conenction lost) and i get full speed, so definitely not on my side

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

It's an MMO launch. Actually, an early access launch. I can't remember the last game I played where there were 100's of thousands of people trying to log on and no issues. And if someone says GW2 I will donkey punch you. That was a pain in the ass too. 

Problem is.. you have a bunch of people where playing games is their only passion, not able to log onto their passion. So yeah, you're gonna have a ton of bitching. Things will be fine in a week or so and then people will find something new about the game to bitch about and why they're quiting LOL

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Originally posted by Emhster

Basically this.  The game is absolutely amazing, and its driving me insane that I can't play right now and some of my FC members are hitting level 30.  

HAHA, I'm still messing around with different classes. My highest is 16. LOL. I wouldn't worry too musch. If all they are is a day or two ahead of you, I'm sure you can catch up quick.

I plan to take my sweet time and find the best class that suits me. Then simultaneously level all the crafts I want to support it with. I think in this way, leveling is probably going to take much longer, but ultimately, I believe it will make a much more memorable leveling experience.

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by norli

get it in your Heads People.

1. This is not a Launch this is " early Access "

2. Early Access in general  has only one purpose " Stressing the Game, Network and Servers out for Max "

If you really think buying early Access means to get you an advantage I must dissapoint you.

Let me go ahead and correct you.

1. Early Access is a launch. It's an early launch for consumers who pre-ordered. You know who gets to play early access without having to purchase the software? That's right, no one.

2. You are utterly and completely wrong. What you typed is the very definition of the term "open beta". You can twist definitions however you like because you're incapable of objective thinking since you're so emotionally invested in this game, you're willing to say such absurd things to defend it. However, I promise you, those of us who have actually played MMOs know how wrong you are.

3. (not numbered, but was your 3rd point) This is also a dishonest statement geared towards altering perception through blatant misinformation. Are you of the opinion that people who race that get a 3 lap head start do not have an advantage? Do you honestly think that someone who has access to sales merchandise with limited quantities does not have an advantage over consumers that have to wait 3 days later? Have you even read what Square Enix has to say about the purpose and benefit of head start? It's meant to be an advantage as a reward for those that preordered.

Now, perhaps you have access to some information I don't have? Perhaps you have a statement from square enix suggesting anything you have claimed is not blatantly false. Maybe you have some quotes about early access being meant to stress servers that contradicts their own press release. Maybe you have a link that says open beta has not ended, that they've simply changed the name of an entire testing phase and were somehow lying when they released a statement saying that their open beta test has come to an end. I'm certainly open to being corrected, I could be wrong. However, I actually took the time to read the press releases and the developers' statements so I know there is evidence that reinforces everything I have asserted.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by DwarfZZZ
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Salenger

It has been a bit annoying but i had played for 4-5 hours yesterday and had no issues untul my duty quest, then it got a bit annoying.

But its the Early Access, this is why companies do it so they can iron out the last remaining issues before the retail launch date.

If this was an issue with say a smaller dev team then it would be horrendous and probably not get fixed for a week. but i think the current issues will be resolved within the day or definitely by tuesday.

Actually no, that's why they have open betas. Much like the one this game had a week ago (which didn't appear to solve much for them).

Early Access is primarily supposed to be for spreading the population of your game out, and giving people extra insentive to pre-order / buy more expensive boxes.

Huh, not quite... Early Access is to the people who arleady pre-ordered it, isn't it?

Anyway, launch days are allways a bit like this. I don't think you really can predict all the effects of a huge load of people trying to access servers at the same time... It's a couule of days and we'll be fine.

Exactly, 'pre-ordered'. Emphasis on the word 'order', as in 'paid money to play this product'.

I know the game can't do wrong, because it's Final Fantasy; but the game is launched. I know some people are okay with paying to be a guinnea pig, but that doesn't make it acceptable. Outside these few rosey-tinted threads are quite a lot of unhappy customers. Not testers. That's the reality here.

Anyone in the industry should understand that when you launch a game, you better be prepared to have people play it. That's the nature of how these things go. And yes, that's what beta tests are for (not launches). To prepare for the crap storm that happens when 100s of thousands of people all play your game at the same time. Not saying there won't be bugs, just that smart companies generally have most of this crap figured out before people are paying to play.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    It's pretty bad when even the writers for this site are complaining about it on twitter. This is the second time they've launched the game. And its the company's second MMO. There really is not an excuse unfortunately.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    It's pretty bad when even the writers for this site are complaining about it on twitter. This is the second time they've launched the game. And its the company's second MMO. There really is not an excuse unfortunately.

I dunno, people on these forums seem to be inventing new excuses for them every minute :P

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Elegance92

I wouldn't go that far, but it's definitely my worst experience with a launch yet.

And yes, this is effectively launch.

Oh man, you haven't seen Vanguard launch and DarkFall, I'm telling you man, FFXIV compared to them, is pretty smooth.

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Syno23
    MMOs just do not launch correctly. I mean yeah, SW:TOR had the perfect launch, with sacrifices that pissed people off called waves. Guild Wars 2's launch was pretty much flawless. But that's because those people knew what they were doing.

GW2 had a flawless launch? Jesus where were you man, during launch you might even call it Bugs Wars 2, cause honestly the bugs there was ridiculous, never seen any like it in any game except Vanguard.

• MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226
    Originally posted by MyownGod
    MMOs just do not launch correctly. I mean yeah, SW:TOR had the perfect launch, with sacrifices that pissed people off called waves. Guild Wars 2's launch was pretty much flawless. But that's because those people knew what they were doing.

GW2 had a flawless launch? Jesus where were you man, during launch you might even call it Bugs Wars 2, cause honestly the bugs there was ridiculous, never seen any like it in any game except Vanguard.

Don't forget how many aspect were "exploitable" and they spent the next month suspending and banning people, INSTEAD of hotfixing.

• wirawan1234wirawan1234 Member Posts: 8

the problem is, japanese servers are allright, and they have the most servers

so i in eu server feel a little bit unfair, when the game undergo maintenance twice in two days

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

LOL GW2 didn't even have a forum where you could discuss issues you were having and find solutions

Originally posted by Elegance92

I wouldn't go that far, but it's definitely my worst experience with a launch yet.

And yes, this is effectively launch.

Oh man, you haven't seen Vanguard launch and DarkFall, I'm telling you man, FFXIV compared to them, is pretty smooth.

Oh yea Vanguard... I was there, but i remember WoW being worse than Vanguard though...  Not Anarchy Online worse, but still. This business with FFXIV is just reviving those bitter memories.

• MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226
    Originally posted by wirawan1234

the problem is, japanese servers are allright, and they have the most servers

so i in eu server feel a little bit unfair, when the game undergo maintenance twice in two days

Well, to be honest, there have been 4 maintenances. 2 yesterday, 1 early this morning, 1 now.

I know I'm giving bored people ammunition, but at least they could get facts right when they lambast with their opinions.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by Pandrax
    Originally posted by StormXXX

Well seems to me like another failed mmo release.

Servers are down half the time either for maintenance or just not letting people in with multitude of error messages.

I've been trying to play since yesterday, but there is constant stream of problems preventing me from even creating a character. At the moment it's all European servers being "full" and not letting me make any new character there. I had to go and create one on NA server just to post on the official forum as the site tells me to pick a main character before being able to post. And even that probably at some poor bloke's expense since he will have to go to different server due to this one being 1 less character away from being full.

Last major BS release, that i remember, was WoW with servers being down half the time. I didn't have such problems even with Diablo 3.

I won't say i expected there won't be any problems. I mean last flawless release i remember in the mmorpg scene was Lineage 2 and that was ages ago...  But on this scale?

I know a lot of people specifically made some room in their schedule just to play the damn thing and not look at error 9000 or 10120 or whatever number pops up next to error message. image And then there is/was the problem with ps3 CE keys on PSN.

You would think that big companies would learn something from each other... And with so much riding on this game for SE (at least from the words of developers) man i don't know...

I hate to tell you this, but you are in the minority, along with all the people crying on forums about some maintence. I've had no issues with any part of the release.  No errors, no black screens, no creation issues, nothing. The majority are in the same boat as me. The only difference is the majority plans on playing the game, and not sitting on a forum bashing a game after one day of early access. If you cannot handle server maintence on a brand new release, then you should wait it out until a week or so after launch. You'll find you wont be as stressed over such a small thing. :)

I'm sorry to tell you this but your wrong.....

The majority are having errors as evidenced by the 150 page posts on the official forums or reddit.

There just having maintenance over and over because it's fun?

I mean I don't understand why you think the majority are not having these errors if that was the case why do they continue to keep taking the servers down every couple hours?

Now while I agree with you about the bashing cause that doesn't help anything the other part your wrong about......

• LerchplusLerchplus Member Posts: 6

A few emergency maintenance issues and the world we know it has ended?

Every MMO I've played had launch issues.

SE has done a good job communicating to people about this and I trust they're working hard to resolve it.

Until then, i'll go do something else for a couple of hours.

image but i am in and can finally start playing...

1.5 Days later than promised i am in with my level 1 conjurer :)

Hopefully us guinea pigs were useful enough and guys and gals on 27th won't have to foam about any major problems.

Now to wash down this long dormant aftertaste that resurfaced again with recent events... 

At least i have couple of hours left of my free time :) 

• LerchplusLerchplus Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by nationalcity
    Originally posted by Pandrax
    Originally posted by StormXXX

Well seems to me like another failed mmo release.

Servers are down half the time either for maintenance or just not letting people in with multitude of error messages.

I've been trying to play since yesterday, but there is constant stream of problems preventing me from even creating a character. At the moment it's all European servers being "full" and not letting me make any new character there. I had to go and create one on NA server just to post on the official forum as the site tells me to pick a main character before being able to post. And even that probably at some poor bloke's expense since he will have to go to different server due to this one being 1 less character away from being full.

Last major BS release, that i remember, was WoW with servers being down half the time. I didn't have such problems even with Diablo 3.

I won't say i expected there won't be any problems. I mean last flawless release i remember in the mmorpg scene was Lineage 2 and that was ages ago...  But on this scale?

I know a lot of people specifically made some room in their schedule just to play the damn thing and not look at error 9000 or 10120 or whatever number pops up next to error message. image And then there is/was the problem with ps3 CE keys on PSN.

You would think that big companies would learn something from each other... And with so much riding on this game for SE (at least from the words of developers) man i don't know...

I hate to tell you this, but you are in the minority, along with all the people crying on forums about some maintence. I've had no issues with any part of the release.  No errors, no black screens, no creation issues, nothing. The majority are in the same boat as me. The only difference is the majority plans on playing the game, and not sitting on a forum bashing a game after one day of early access. If you cannot handle server maintence on a brand new release, then you should wait it out until a week or so after launch. You'll find you wont be as stressed over such a small thing. :)

I'm sorry to tell you this but your wrong.....

The majority are having errors as evidenced by the 150 page posts on the official forums or reddit.

There just having maintenance over and over because it's fun?

I mean I don't understand why you think the majority are not having these errors if that was the case why do they continue to keep taking the servers down every couple hours?

Now while I agree with you about the bashing cause that doesn't help anything the other part your wrong about......

I know my point will probably be lost in all of the background noise of complaining about server down time....but i'll try anyway.

If you add up all of the posts on this forum and over at SE's forums they don't surpass the number of total FFXIV players.

So all you are left with is conjecture.

You might argue that this is a "representative sample" of dissatisfaction but even that it conjecture.

Please don't attempt to represent the majority unless you have the facts about who the majority really is otherwise you're just attempting to hijack the argument in your favor.

I had no trouble playing the game and understand and expected a rocky launch.

So did my roommate who is playing right now.

I apologize for my fiery rhetoric in advance.