Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you make the first 20 levels fun

dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Okay, I've spent 30 bucks on this game and I can't get myself to play it. I want to get to the fun part (where i was when the beta ended) but I cut it on and the first quest of killing sheep was so unappealing I cut it off immediately.  

If its one thing I"m finding in unison, whether you hate, love or are just neutral on the game, is that most people find the first 20 levels fairly boring. But a few have not. What ahve you done to spruce things up? Ignore the non story quests? Focus on particular regions? I really would like to at least get my month of investment. 

Comments

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

I have a moderate to severe case of ADD so when I tell you how I stick with the game, you can take that to the bank.

The biggest, and most powerful draw that I have with this MMO, and ANY MMO is your character.  Pick the race that you feel you will enjoy the most.  Make him/her look as cool as you possibly can.  This is the first step...

The next step is a little strange, but it works.  RP a little.  I'm not talking anything hardcore, but create like a mini backstory for your character.  Use your imagination.  The biggest thing that draws me back to WoW is my characters.  I've gotten somewhat attached to them, and it seems to be working with this game too.  Also, if you come up with a name for your character that isn't Samus Aran, or Bruce Wayne, or Cloud Strife.  If you make your own name, that helps too.

The next step is.  READ the quest dialogue and put yourself into the game world.  Follow along with what you are doing when you're killing squirrel's.  Because which sounds better when you think about it?  "Gotta kill these squirrels so this elf guy will give me some exp..." or "Gotta kill these squirrels cuz they keep sneaking into the buildings of Gridania and chewing on the support beams..."

The biggest draw of old school RPG's were the stories.  Especially Dungeons and Dragons and text based RPG's.  Player's used their imaginations when they played those and they had the most fun doing it.  No reason that today's gaming, with all the glitz and glamour and good graphics can't pull you into the world.  Problem is most people don't try to get into the game, they just think "gotta get to endgame."

Of course this is because you think the first 20 levels are boring.  I'm loving the first 20 levels.  I think they are extremely well paced.  But try this if you are having problems.  It is an RPG after all, so do the "Role Playing" part of it.  You might like it.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663
    I just watch stuff on my second monitor. I think developers design their games with this in mind....
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370

That's a pretty tough question to answer.  What specifically isn't fun for you?  If it's just the repetitiveness, then I can't really help much as that's a you thing.  For the first 15 levels of your first class, you'll pretty much be locked into the zone you chose when creating your character.  It takes me a few hours to get to that point, but it's not hard, especially considering I've done it several times in beta.  Get to level 15 on just one class though via the main story, and you can pretty much do anything you want.

Leves

change zones

dungeon grinding

craft

FATEs

hunting log - don't forget about this.  Lot's of easy XP to be had here.

If none of this appeals to you then I'm not sure what else to say.  Maybe it's just not for you.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Have you tried GW2? I find it to be just an all around fun game. Last night I ran guild missions with my guild.. Talk about fun times.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I have no problem with the 1-15, its fun with so much of an experience boost on your sub classes.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

I feel your pain bro. It's the same thing when I play any game in the Super Mario Bros.

Franchise. World 1 is always a mindless faceroll. I don't know why they don't make World 1

the same as World 8. Stupid plumber with his stupid mustache.

#mariorant

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    my problem with the game isn't the questing, I'm enjoying that. What bothers me, and I've said this before, is the blandness of the gear. Being only level 11, I assume that will change but standing around 5 other conjurer who look exactly like me, is a bit disappointing. I'm hoping that changes further along.

The first patch is adding cosmetic gear slots. You also haven't unlocked dyes yet.

There's a lot more variation later on when people have more choices of how to play. At low level everyone is using the same source for gear so naturally they all have the same gear...

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

I would highly recommend playing another class that you can work toward a job just for a few levels once you hit 15ish. Get the other class up to like 7-8ish. I did this during the last beta phase since we couldn't get past 20 and it really made the game much more enjoyable - being able to share certain abilities on the class and on my main class, etc. It was awesome and really helped me get a feel for my character -- this is my character and I can be what I want.

I really struggled with the idea of multi-class and no alts since I tend to be an altaholic... but now I love this class system.

25 lancer/18 pug

Dibbin Blackburrow on Goblin.