Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FF 14 ARR Early launch a complete failure or a "normal" thing?

Comments

• shiner421shiner421 Member Posts: 70

Definately a bad early access launch for sure. Denying players the ability to enter instead of queuing them up (anyone who doesnt want a queue doesnt understand how this stuff works), screwing customers over by not giving them what was promised, allowing beta characters to remain on servers therefore using up slots that could be used for new players and instead will be used up for people that probably wont even play, it sone of the worst ive seen.

I originally bought FF14 shortly after it came out, paid for the collectors edition, and got maybe one month of playtime out of it before they shut the entire game down, then when they bring it back they give me access to all 3 of the 4 beta phases, but not the 4th as I was not allowed to download the beta client. Theoretically my beta code is valid for early access, when I try to redeem it it says that its already registered, yet when I try to login to FF14 it keeps saying no valid service accounts found. Then, I cannot access the lodestone website for more info as you need to have a character created to use it! that is so ridculous that any thoughts of me buying this game have now gone out the window.

How Square Enix thinks it can successfully push out a game like this by fucking over its customers is beyond me. Then again, we seem to live in a world where people are so stupid that they will take this kind of treatment, smile, and say well, it could be worse.

• norlinorli Member UncommonPosts: 13

get it in your Heads People.

1. This is not a Launch this is " early Access "

2. Early Access in general  has only one purpose " Stressing the Game, Network and Servers out for Max "

If you really think buying early Access means to get you an advantage I must dissapoint you.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by wrightstuf
    Originally posted by Syno23
    MMOs just do not launch correctly. I mean yeah, SW:TOR had the perfect launch, with sacrifices that pissed people off called waves. Guild Wars 2's launch was pretty much flawless. But that's because those people knew what they were doing.

GW2 early launch i couldn't log in for 12 hours...pretty far from flawless

its You that couldnt log where 99% of other players could play normaly and game was up all the time

no stupid maintenances or downtimes at all

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    oh FFS it's barely been one day.
  • SuniojSunioj Member Posts: 261
    Game has been solid and fun for me thus far outside of the servers being offline on and off.

Momo sucks, I have proof.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by shiner421

Definately a bad early access launch for sure. Denying players the ability to enter instead of queuing them up (anyone who doesnt want a queue doesnt understand how this stuff works), screwing customers over by not giving them what was promised, allowing beta characters to remain on servers therefore using up slots that could be used for new players and instead will be used up for people that probably wont even play, it sone of the worst ive seen.

I originally bought FF14 shortly after it came out, paid for the collectors edition, and got maybe one month of playtime out of it before they shut the entire game down, then when they bring it back they give me access to all 3 of the 4 beta phases, but not the 4th as I was not allowed to download the beta client. Theoretically my beta code is valid for early access, when I try to redeem it it says that its already registered, yet when I try to login to FF14 it keeps saying no valid service accounts found. Then, I cannot access the lodestone website for more info as you need to have a character created to use it! that is so ridculous that any thoughts of me buying this game have now gone out the window.

How Square Enix thinks it can successfully push out a game like this by fucking over its customers is beyond me. Then again, we seem to live in a world where people are so stupid that they will take this kind of treatment, smile, and say well, it could be worse.

You realize that the beta where they didn't wipe the characters was open, and free, so anyone could have signed up, made a character to save the name or whatever.

Also, you only got access to the game, if you were a legacy player from FF14 1.0

Killing dragons is my shit

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    No complaints here the game is excellent. Been really smooth for me outside any downtime. Playing on two machines atm, one new high end box and also on an old ancient POS and both run fine. Hopfully your problems will be fixed by LAUNCH on the 27th.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by norli

get it in your Heads People.

1. This is not a Launch this is " early Access "

This is launch. Pre-launch that is. A.k.a. early access a.k.a. head start. Official launch is on the 27th.

2. Early Access in general  has only one purpose " Stressing the Game, Network and Servers out for Max " 

Those are beta phases you're talking about.

If you really think buying early Access means to get you an advantage I must dissapoint you.

This is exactly what the devs promised. It's even on our pre-order confirmation e-mails... It is in the definition itself! And the purpose of it is to cushion the official launch so it goes smoother. How so smoother? The people who got a head start would have already left the lower level areas. Meaning the starting areas aren't as congested when the rest of the players charge into the world.

But since it has gone pretty rocky for NA/EU the areas are still congested and I honestly don't know how launch will go in two days. On a work day. People would have taken the advantage of this weekend to play all they want and get ahead before the bigger crowd joins.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    No problems for me. Been having a blast. Sorry you guys are having problems, but myself and the people in my guild (30 or so atm) have been playing fine.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• IllunariIllunari Member UncommonPosts: 14
    It is annoying....but let's be honest here...almost every launch, every patch or update has some kind of problems. It is almost expected. Does it suck? Yes it affected a lot of people and then those people can't play and just QQ on the forums instead. Some games are smoother than others with less mistakes don't get me wrong...but unless you like flushing $ down the toilet you're going to keep trying to play until they fix it...or don't fix it and then everyone quit's! 
  • JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    MMOs just do not launch correctly. I mean yeah, SW:TOR had the perfect launch, with sacrifices that pissed people off called waves. Guild Wars 2's launch was pretty much flawless. But that's because those people knew what they were doing.

Like SE doesn't have a background and are clueless about MMORGS right? Every game of this scope had and will have problems at launch. And official launch is on 27th.

GW2 wasn't flawless. Took them weeks to make the Auction House work.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I don't know why people even differentiate between headstart and 'official launch' anymore, they are pretty much one and the same. For the most part the only people who start after the head start are those that go into the store and buy a box and in this day and age i have to wonder if there really are many people who still do that. I imagine the vast majority buy online these days and if they are doing that then most will be in the head start anyway.

Besides, this particular game doesn't alleviate any starter zone stress by the two stage stagger. Come Monday a lot of the people who started yesterday will be back in starter areas leveling up other classes for jobs anyway.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Aside from the typical, expected bumps in the road, I'm thoroughly enjoying the EA. I'm sure it's a lot for some folks than others though, and depending on how much you enjoy the game, I'm sure some folks are more forgiving than others too. I consider myself lucky to be a really slow leveler, and therefore not running into too many issues... and also being wildly crazy about the game, which helps immensely!

For people having major issues, I hope SE addresses your situations swiftly.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

Originally posted by norli
    get it in your Heads People.1. This is not a Launch this is " early Access "2. Early Access in general  has only one purpose " Stressing the Game, Network and Servers out for Max " If you really think buying early Access means to get you an advantage I must dissapoint you.

LOL
    you're mistaking EARLY ACCESS for BETA
    and yeah this is not a Launch... it's a RElaunch of FF14

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

No problems at all here, except for the two maintenance periods. Logged in with no problems, several times. Had a queue wait time of around a minute. Was able to do the first instance after a few tries. No lag, anywhere. No bugs.

I'd say it was a successful launch, mostly.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

Originally posted by Juaks
    Originally posted by Syno23 MMOs just do not launch correctly. I mean yeah, SW:TOR had the perfect launch, with sacrifices that pissed people off called waves. Guild Wars 2's launch was pretty much flawless. But that's because those people knew what they were doing.
    Like SE doesn't have a background and are clueless about MMORGS right? Every game of this scope had and will have problems at launch. And official launch is on 27th.

GW2 wasn't flawless. Took them weeks to make the Auction House work.

yeah the Trading Post was a thorn in GW2's launch
    ANET was TOO ambitious, making a trading system shared by ALL servers
    and they didnt have an auction house in GW1

im so glad that they got it working after a few weeks
    now im enjoying a trading house that spans across all servers (limited only by datacenters NA & EU) that i can access anywhere even from instances

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• hotdove911hotdove911 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Well this is quite normal for me. Every single game launch I did was going havoc like this one. The thing is, in the beta they didn't have these bug with the "duty finder". So its kinda normal they have to fix it now.

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    god i cant wait for the full launch.  this site is gonna be full of nerd raging.   just glad im not gonna be playing this game.   but it will be fun to read :)
  • TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

My experience has been that EVERY MMO launch has issues that people get mad about.  Rift had CD Key and Disconnection problems.  SWTOR had waves and bugs. I could go on.

Now with FF XIV, I have had decent success doing things.  I only really started having problems this morning.  It worked better before their maintenance.....

• MistborneMistborne Member UncommonPosts: 26
    A complete failure? Hardly. There were some hiccups, but SE is quick to address them... and yes, even if they don't get it right the first time, but the important thing is they keep at it in a timely fashion. People these days think they deserve absolute perfection. Makes me sick. Read your MMO history: no launch is without some difficulty. Welcome to reality, kids.
  • PewpsockemzPewpsockemz Member Posts: 49
    You are crazy. Everything worked great when I played yesterday. Get out of here.
  • vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

I can only recall a handful of 'good' launches like LOTRO, GW2, SWTOR, Neverwinter, ...  To be honest it is kinda par for the course to have difficulty on the first couple of days of an mmo.  I suspect most companies will only have so many resources based on the population they expect to have past the first 30 days.  It seems like a double edge sword, have too many servers and you have to shrink and its viewed as a failure, have too few and its considered a crappy launch.  Your frustration leads me to believe that you enjoy the game to some degree so have patience mate and Im sure they will work it all out!

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• herrintherrint Member UncommonPosts: 43
    I can't wait until subscription time kicks in so that all of us who can handle a little discomfort can actually enjoy our ff world without all the whining.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Guild Wars 2's launch was pretty much flawless. 

Um... the servers crapped out quite hard initially and had lots of issues particularly for the first 6 hours or so. Add in the fact the 'market/shop/whatever you want to call it' wasn't actually functioning correctly and working for the first 2 weeks, and entire zones were broken with events not functioning at all getting stuck, I'd far from call it flawless. 

Though yeah, FF14 launch is for sure on the rougher side of things. Not the absolute worst but for sure having plenty of issues. Though it is launch and its for an MMo, so its really not THAT much of a shocker for me. While I do think it could be better, I do expect things to go wrong.

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    I am not playing the game personally, but a bunch of folks in my guild are, and I remind them that no launch is ever perfect, this is a normal thing. I would say Square is not handling it as well as they could, but the issues themselves are normal.