Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FF 14 ARR Early launch a complete failure or a "normal" thing?

StormXXXStormXXX Member Posts: 48

Well seems to me like another failed mmo release.

Servers are down half the time either for maintenance or just not letting people in with multitude of error messages.

I've been trying to play since yesterday, but there is constant stream of problems preventing me from even creating a character. At the moment it's all European servers being "full" and not letting me make any new character there. I had to go and create one on NA server just to post on the official forum as the site tells me to pick a main character before being able to post. And even that probably at some poor bloke's expense since he will have to go to different server due to this one being 1 less character away from being full.

Last major BS release, that i remember, was WoW with servers being down half the time. I didn't have such problems even with Diablo 3.

I won't say i expected there won't be any problems. I mean last flawless release i remember in the mmorpg scene was Lineage 2 and that was ages ago...  But on this scale?

I know a lot of people specifically made some room in their schedule just to play the damn thing and not look at error 9000 or 10120 or whatever number pops up next to error message. image And then there is/was the problem with ps3 CE keys on PSN.

You would think that big companies would learn something from each other... And with so much riding on this game for SE (at least from the words of developers) man i don't know...

Comments

• Elegance92Elegance92 Member Posts: 93

I wouldn't go that far, but it's definitely my worst experience with a launch yet.

And yes, this is effectively launch.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Sorry to hear you are having so many problems. For me this has been the smoothest launch ever. I've had no problems from purchasing, registering, character creation, playing. It's been pretty much perfect. Hell, I haven't even experianced that much lag in the main city.
  • jigo86jigo86 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    launch failed, like all other mmos so far nothing speacial but still pissed on
  • Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    MMOs just do not launch correctly. I mean yeah, SW:TOR had the perfect launch, with sacrifices that pissed people off called waves. Guild Wars 2's launch was pretty much flawless. But that's because those people knew what they were doing.
  • Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

Par for the course, same goes for the forum posts on this site.

2 seconds into the game, game fails, sky falls, refunds are requested, game goes on, the

bitter gaming cycle continues.

• StormXXXStormXXX Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Rzep
    Sorry to hear you are having so many problems. For me this has been the smoothest launch ever. I've had no problems from purchasing, registering, character creation, playing. It's been pretty much perfect. Hell, I haven't even experianced that much lag in the main city.

I guess you are one of the lucky people then. Or i/some of us are one of those unlucky ones. Glad to hear it's working at least for some people out there.

• Soulsaint1215Soulsaint1215 Member Posts: 16
    If you're having early access launch problems, I feel bad for you son... I got 99 problems but so far I've had none.
  • PandraxPandrax Member UncommonPosts: 341
    Originally posted by StormXXX

Servers are down half the time either for maintenance or just not letting people in with multitude of error messages.

I've been trying to play since yesterday, but there is constant stream of problems preventing me from even creating a character. At the moment it's all European servers being "full" and not letting me make any new character there. I had to go and create one on NA server just to post on the official forum as the site tells me to pick a main character before being able to post. And even that probably at some poor bloke's expense since he will have to go to different server due to this one being 1 less character away from being full.

Last major BS release, that i remember, was WoW with servers being down half the time. I didn't have such problems even with Diablo 3.

I won't say i expected there won't be any problems. I mean last flawless release i remember in the mmorpg scene was Lineage 2 and that was ages ago...  But on this scale?

I know a lot of people specifically made some room in their schedule just to play the damn thing and not look at error 9000 or 10120 or whatever number pops up next to error message. image And then there is/was the problem with ps3 CE keys on PSN.

You would think that big companies would learn something from each other... And with so much riding on this game for SE (at least from the words of developers) man i don't know...

I hate to tell you this, but you are in the minority, along with all the people crying on forums about some maintence. I've had no issues with any part of the release.  No errors, no black screens, no creation issues, nothing. The majority are in the same boat as me. The only difference is the majority plans on playing the game, and not sitting on a forum bashing a game after one day of early access. If you cannot handle server maintence on a brand new release, then you should wait it out until a week or so after launch. You'll find you wont be as stressed over such a small thing. :)

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Syno23
    MMOs just do not launch correctly. I mean yeah, SW:TOR had the perfect launch, with sacrifices that pissed people off called waves. Guild Wars 2's launch was pretty much flawless. But that's because those people knew what they were doing.

GW2 launch was flawless? Did you forget about the connectivity issues where thousands of people couldn't connect to the servers. Then there were all of the issues with  the Trading Post, guild services and the mail system. There wasn't a working trading post for weeks. 

Maybe this will help remove the rosy tint from those glasses.. http://games.on.net/2012/08/guild-wars-2-launch-plagued-by-connectivity-issues-fixes-incoming/

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Far from perfect. There were entire guilds that could only get a few members onto a server for the first several hours.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Sorry tho. But People have such short memories, it´s like you all smoking weed day in day out and got permanent memory damage or something. All forgotten about past and recent MMO launches already? Tjeez!

This launch is actually one of the best launches so far. And we are still in early Access mind you.

They had two emergency maintainances that fixed some Critical issues. They are communicating via various media, including the launcher itself. Which is far better than most other launches recently.

I so far had very little trouble, just last night that I ran into the Duty issue and just logged off, watch some TV and tried again this morning after maintainance and them fixing the Duty finder. All working fine now.

I so far had blast! :-)

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by Pandrax No errors, no black screens, no creation issues, nothing. The majority are in the same boat as me. The only difference is the majority plans on playing the game, and not sitting on a forum bashing a game after one day of early access. If you cannot handle server maintence on a brand new release, then you should wait it out until a week or so after launch. You'll find you wont be as stressed over such a small thing. :)

If by the majority you mean every single person in game unable to progress with their quests, instances being completely down etc due to the Duty Finder being broken until this morning then yes, that is something the 'majority' have experienced. Trying to act like the launch has been flawless when it has been far from it doesn't do anyone any favours, neither the players or SE.

Easily one of the buggiest releases i've played in recent years tbh.

Originally posted by Pandrax

I hate to tell you this, but you are in the minority, along with all the people crying on forums about some maintence. I've had no issues with any part of the release.  No errors, no black screens, no creation issues, nothing. The majority are in the same boat as me. The only difference is the majority plans on playing the game, and not sitting on a forum bashing a game after one day of early access. If you cannot handle server maintence on a brand new release, then you should wait it out until a week or so after launch. You'll find you wont be as stressed over such a small thing. :)

Sadly i will have to disappoint you on quite a few things :)

• First i am not stressed about this really, since i expected there to be problems, just not on this scale.
    • Second is "surprise" i kinda plan on playing too... you know i kinda even pre-ordered it?
    Also i bash things where bashing is due...

And you can't possibly know the whole scope of the problems (unless you work for SE) so do not even start spewing nonsense and posing it as fact. And since when did you became a representative of so called "majority"? :)
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Vutar

It is normal for there to be some hiccups when an MMORPG releases. The problem is this isn't a release, they had that in 1.0. One would think that after a couple years SE would have been better prepared for the problems.

They completely redesigned the entire game. It´s basically brandnew!

It now actually has content, features and systems in Place, that were totally absent in 1.0 release.

With 1.0 release there was hardly any content nor any features. It was impossible for People to overload the systems due to the ridiculous Leve lockout timers, etc.

Now the population and Activity is way higher than at 1.0 release. People are actually playing and enjoying themselves and so stressing out the systems like crazy. Never seen so many people in FFXIV as of this weekend.

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    The launch has been fairly smooth however the character creation locking is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. 
  • PandraxPandrax Member UncommonPosts: 341

• First i am not stressed about this really, since i expected there to be problems, just not on this scale.
    • Second is "surprise" i kinda plan on playing too... you know i kinda even pre-ordered it?

And you can't possibly know the whole scope of the problems (unless you work for SE) so do not even start spewing nonsense and posing it as fact. And since when did you became a representative of so called "majority"? :)

It is funny how you tell me I cannot possibly know the whole scope, yet you presume to. It's also funny how you feel the need to talk for everyone else. If you cannot handle 1-2 days of inconsistant server stability, then you need to rethink your priorities. I really don't understand what happened to this generation of gamers. It's embarassing.. If this is still happening by the 27th, I would be complaining too. For right now, why don't you sit back, relax and live your life. The world is not going to end if you are not able to get in on day one.

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Other than a few weird decisions by Square Enix this launch has been relatively normal.  And sorry if it pains you to hear this guys, the vast majority of people have not had any issues with the game other than the duty finder server causing problems last night.
  • flclimaxflclimax Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

GW2 launch was flawless? Did you forget about the connectivity issues where thousands of people couldn't connect to the servers. Then there were all of the issues with  the Trading Post, guild services and the mail system. There wasn't a working trading post for weeks. 

Maybe this will help remove the rosy tint from those glasses.. http://games.on.net/2012/08/guild-wars-2-launch-plagued-by-connectivity-issues-fixes-incoming/

problems with the trade post queues and server hopping guilds pale in comparison to not being able to log in and the game itself literally not working, plus there were literally(not a guess) millions of people unaffected by most of those issues issues. and all besides the trade post were remedied in days.

GW2 stayed live and almost 100% functional. RIFT and a few others have had actually smooth launches. FFXIV is normal for most MMO's, which is in practice terrible. It's on par with WoW's launch for crappiness with nowhere near the player traffic.

• Reza82Reza82 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Sorry to hear you are having so many problems, I haven`t had any issues except for trying to launch the instance for around level 8.  But this probably is due to the fact that I, at anytime, don`t expect to sit at my computer 24/7 to play a game.  So despite the odd downtime that I have heard of, I have been able to play every time I logged on.  So from my perspective, its been a good launch.  Maybe you should go out for some air.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Fail launch because of too many people.  Hmm...sounds like another game, heck a few games back in 2004 that had the same issue and one of those rules the MMO world still. 

Yeah, the solo instance errors are annoying, but I'm still able to play and do other stuff in the meantime and the game is SO good that, just like those other MMOs in the past, I'm able to look past it and know it will be fixed and that in a month or so all of these issues will be forgotten.

Still the best MMORPG I've played since 2006.  I just wish Trion wouldn't hoard their server tech, because that's what needed in ALL MMORPGs anymore so issues of overpopulation won't crash certain aspects of the game.

It is funny how you tell me I cannot possibly know the whole scope, yet you presume to. It's also funny how you feel the need to talk for everyone else. If you cannot handle 1-2 days of inconsistant server stability, then you need to rethink your priorities. I really don't understand what happened to this generation of gamers. It's embarassing.. If this is still happening by the 27th, I would be complaining too. For right now, why don't you sit back, relax and live your life. The world is not going to end if you are not able to get in on day one.

I'd troll you a bit on the part that "world isn't going to end", but i'll agree with you on that one. So far i have found other things to do.

Also this is more about bad releases being a "norm" topic rather than about me whining or not. The fact is me and not-a-small-number-of-other-people, judging by posts on official forum support, have problems with "release".

I'll be actually really pissed if problems continue on next weekend, as i probably won't be playing that much during the week.image

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

GW2 early launch i couldn't log in for 12 hours...pretty far from flawless

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
    I'd say it wasn't too bad. A few hiccups, but i still got to play my ass off. I expected worse, especially since they had a big patch right before launch. that can create stability issues even with long established games.
  • SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    Complete fail, why? Cause same problems that happened during last beta 4 are going on now showing that the devs either don't care or they don't know what they're doing.  If you've seen Kill Bill and remember what Pai Mei said about Japanese, I see why he said that.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    The only issue I am having, or was having, is the dungeon issue. It's a bit of a big issue because it stops your main quest line early, but I just ran around and did fates / levequests..

Killing dragons is my shit