Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Divergence: Online - New continent Week 1 Progress

HerkoHerko Member UncommonPosts: 40

A video with the terraforming & building made by players using the current alpha servers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KnEutVyx20&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Looks interesting but I am not into those type of sci-fi games. I hope they make their kickstart limit in time! The more games the better I always say! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• EthanCEthanC Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Looks interesting but I am not into those type of sci-fi games. I hope they make their kickstart limit in time! The more games the better I always say! 

I'm personally interested in what was meant with "those types"? Because we're always looking for ways to try and improve the product and come up with more engaging videos/media if possible. Was that because of the sandbox element or did it have more to do with being sci-fi in general?

www.Divergence-Online.com

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by EthanC

I'm personally interested in what was meant with "those types"? Because we're always looking for ways to try and improve the product and come up with more engaging videos/media if possible. Was that because of the sandbox element or did it have more to do with being sci-fi in general?

How bout showing us something other than people building stuff. Oh, thats right you can't. Right now your entire marketing campaign is showing how great it is to build, except your overall plan is to give players all the tools they want to build, but never let them because they will be too busy getting ganked to actually accomplish anything.

• Originally posted by Livnthedream

How bout showing us something other than people building stuff. Oh, thats right you can't. Right now your entire marketing campaign is showing how great it is to build, except your overall plan is to give players all the tools they want to build, but never let them because they will be too busy getting ganked to actually accomplish anything.

• nAAtimusnAAtimus Member Posts: 342
    This game fascinates me. I genuinely hope for the best.

I'm not here to complete my forum PVP dailies.

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

Since it has been said twice...

"If you can't say something nice..." apparently you haven't been to F13.Net.  Give that site a spin with Divergence.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• MattisxMattisx Member Posts: 14

It's not that bad here once you know what to expect.  Some people are more used to...polite friendly communities.  A considerable number of Divergence followers are from mmorpg though, and they are good people.

--

If you're interested in Divergence, you should consider heading to the kickstarter to hook yourself up with the extremely limited quantity races.  This may be the last mass sale of the Vindicator and Verrator, so grab them while you can.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/372333499/divergence-online

If you're wondering what a vindicator or verrator is and why you might want it, check this out: 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Mattisx

If you're interested in Divergence, you should consider heading to the kickstarter to hook yourself up with the extremely limited quantity races.  This may be the last mass sale of the Vindicator and Verrator, so grab them while you can.

Are these races desirable because of their stats or their appearance? What are the reasons why people would want to make sure they get these races before they are gone?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MattisxMattisx Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Mattisx

Are these races desirable because of their stats or their appearance? What are the reasons why people would want to make sure they get these races before they are gone?

You could be interested for either reason.  The Veli species which has donned the Mk and Vk armor (Vindicators and Verrators) are like hardcore characters in diablo.  They have sick stats as well as amazing looks, and by owning one, you get to take part in a new kind of experiment: hardcore characters in a player-run sandbox survival fpsmmorpg.  A lot of people who get them will keep them in their packaging until the genocide is over because Vindicators and Verrators are at each other's throats.  This information is available to you on the divergence forum.

"Facing nothing less than total extinction of their race, Veli scientists were the first to embrace the Vindicator technology as a possible means of survival.

The extent of Veli science at that point had been long since confined to medicinal use and application. Our universe's oldest known sentient race, the Veli had warred between themselves at the advent of science and ethics before most races began to breathe on land.

The Veli did not see technology in itself as taboo, but they had found peace in life without it, and avoided it as a matter of comfort.

However, the intricacies and blueprints of the Vindicator VK armor and weapon integration was found to be far beyond the scope of simple cybernetics. Molding this terrifying new visage to the tune of Veli biology would require its host's body to be "modified" as well to meld properly with such advanced technology.

The more leeway Veli scientists were granted to experiment on ever more powerful and agile configurations, the further the line between flesh and machine began to blur." -Ethan Casner @ Divergence forum

Bluntly... Why would you want a Vindicator or Verrator?  They have swords on their arms and can cut folk in half.  They are as strong as endgame bosses and you can have them/ be them.  You're free to treat them like endgame bosses, but endgame bosses usually die, better to be ninjas like they were designed to be ~ for your longevity.

These are their tier 1 suits.  You will be able to acquire higher tier suits by improving your standing with your respective faction.  The highest tier armors may require parts from the opposing Veli suit.  It's going to be madness.

Every kickstarter donation $100 or greater unlocks D-Tanix (energy being), Lokri (psychic near-human), and Homo-Cadillus (illegally genetically-engineered human).  Those race types are seriously cool, but I'm not going to go into detail because I think it's better that fewer people know (hehe, so I can benefit more for being a minority)  If you're interested: http://www.divergence-online.com/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=8

If hardcore characters aren't your cup of tea, the Ennie ($150 perk) are another unlockable for the kickstarter.  They are small lizard folk (about half the height of a human) with amazing agility, sneakiness and climbing skill.  Hide out in trees and sneak attack your foes.  They will be clone-able like humans (you can respawn if you are within range of a powered cloner and you have purchased a clone).  Rumor says they will be the only race that can climb near vertical cliffs and trees straight out of character creation.

• ShakklesShakkles Member UncommonPosts: 58

• EthanCEthanC Member UncommonPosts: 56

What we've tried to do with Vindicator and Verrator is by far not the normal practice of balancing in mmorpgs.

A good portion of our players are people who are here because of a love of pre-NGE SWG. For those didn't play the game then, Jedi were extremely rare. I mean, you came home from work early if someone called you to tell you there was one in Theed.

There were impossibly powerful. But, they also lost all their skills when they died.

Through this method you can have entities which are abnormally and terrifyingly powerful without making them game-breaking, because anyone who chooses to log in with their Veli character does so realizing they need to sit the hell up in their chair and get their game face on. It's an experience of having incredible power with an incredible price and as our fans and contributors have pointed out, when they're gone, they're gone.

What could be more satisfying than calling out your energy sword and cleaving some poor human in half?

Coming back from a cloner as that human with a group, ambushing that Veli and permanently killing them for their error. Not to mention that the possibility for financial gain with the salvage of alien technology from their corpse.

As Omar from one of my favorite shows "The Wire" would describe, if you own a Veli character and choose to play it you're "in the game", with all the freedoms and dangers that come with it.

www.Divergence-Online.com

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

What we've tried to do with Vindicator and Verrator is by far not the normal practice of balancing in mmorpgs.

A good portion of our players are people who are here because of a love of pre-NGE SWG. For those didn't play the game then, Jedi were extremely rare. I mean, you came home from work early if someone called you to tell you there was one in Theed.

There were impossibly powerful. But, they also lost all their skills when they died.

Through this method you can have entities which are abnormally and terrifyingly powerful without making them game-breaking, because anyone who chooses to log in with their Veli character does so realizing they need to sit the hell up in their chair and get their game face on. It's an experience of having incredible power with an incredible price and as our fans and contributors have pointed out, when they're gone, they're gone.

What could be more satisfying than calling out your energy sword and cleaving some poor human in half?

Coming back from a cloner as that human with a group, ambushing that Veli and permanently killing them for their error. Not to mention that the possibility for financial gain with the salvage of alien technology from their corpse.

As Omar from one of my favorite shows "The Wire" would describe, if you own a Veli character and choose to play it you're "in the game", with all the freedoms and dangers that come with it.

But I suppose one key difference is Jedi were earned by playing the game and in Divergence you are more or less selling them?  Perhaps a new take on the P2W concept?  I suppose if its a one shot deal, no problem, but if you continue to make these available as long as people keep paying then I foresee possible backlash.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• StonyairStonyair Member Posts: 7

Having spoken with Ethan sevral times via the TS3 channel and getting to know him and his ideas, as well as those within the alpha that have purchased the Veli characters. I do not believe he will sell out by allowing more in once the pre determined ammount are gone. The only thing I can see happening is later on as the game progresses say 5 years or so after launch might be a re-engineered version of the suit though do not quote me on this. Its meerly an assumption from things that I have seen on videos and in the forums about the crafting system. This could lead to a simular thing as the Jedi later on from SWG pre-cu in wich people will need to work very very hard to aquire a re-engineered suit, that is designed to be compatible with a organic like Human, Lokri, etc. However if this does come about I would not expect those suits to be as powerful as a orgional Veli.

All in all this game leaves alot for the imagination to wander threw, though you must keep in perspective when letting your mind wander that some things will always be better in concept. Such as the idea I just mentioned. For all I know there could be things that I have not thought about that could make this concept fall apart as I have not found all the pro's versus con's.

And as far as those who have been asking to see more then building videos, if you read the forums you will understand the need for the kickstarter to come threw. The coders are currently working on the combat but as everyone should know, people who code these things are not cheap. So the more funding in my honest opinion the faster the combat will turn out.