Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So far, we're pleasantly surprised

Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

Our household (3 adults) decided on a whim to pre-order the game since there was a sale where it only cost $22, and we all felt like trying a new MMO. The other two members of the household are MMO veterans--longtime players of WoW, and we've all played GW2 and various other MMOs. None of us had terribly high expectations, what we'd heard was that the first 15 levels would be boring, and that the game was very traditional but well made. Personally, this was my first traditional MMO.

We all played for a few hours last night and this morning discussed our opinions. None of us are quite hooked yet--highest we've gotten is Level 7 (I know, we're slow)--but so far we really like what we've seen. The combat isn't as boring as people seem to be making it out to be, I'm actually having a lot of fun even with my very few Lv. 7 skills. There's a stupidly huge amount of boring quests to go through right at the start, but we knew that ahead of time and agree that the combat is worth doing a few quests right off the bat. 

Game overall seems very polished. It runs beautifully, better than TERA, SWTOR or GW2 did on my computer. All the bells and whistles are there, no lag so far. 

Only disappointment has been that the servers have been going down for maintenance--I think they're optimizing them because certain features are being overloaded--but the launch has overall been relatively smooth.

Comments

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Interesting review :P.  Glad you're enjoying it though.  Did you all start in the same city?  And leveling really picks up for your first class around ten when you guild hests since they offer a bonus for completing them the first time.  Also don't forget the hunting log.  Honestly quest hub jumping is pretty slow for leveling so don't stick on it too long.
  • Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by NetSage
    Interesting review :P.  Glad you're enjoying it though.  Did you all start in the same city?  And leveling really picks up for your first class around ten when you guild hests since they offer a bonus for completing them the first time.  Also don't forget the hunting log.  Honestly quest hub jumping is pretty slow for leveling so don't stick on it too long.

We did all happen to start in the same city, Limsa..something or other. Thank you for the advice! 

Sorry for all the weird extra details, I guess I just wanted to make the point that none of us came into the game as rabid fanboys or anything, haha.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

I would encourage anyone interested in this game to take it's criticisms lightly. They tend to

be over exaggerated & surface driven.

I had a similar experience to the OP, although I did play 1.0 at beta & launch. I was still not

sold on 2.0 until I played it. I think that's a key component to enjoying this game. You have

to allow it to entertain you, because it will.

Good review, OP.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game. Welcome aboard!

Not surprised that everyone looks alike in the first few levels, since dyes aren't unlocked until Lv. 15 and everyone's getting their gear from the same first few quests.

Balmung. Haven't gotten any lag there and the queues have been very short.

Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele

Well, since I'm coming alone into this game, perhaps we could adventure together if your "household" approves. 

Household in quotes? What is that supposed to mean. :P

Maybe, probably. Boyfriend and I are trying to play together and avoid leveling ahead of each other too much, but I don't think either of us minds having someone join us. We're both Lv. 10 or 11 now but I'm not sure if we'll be playing more tonight, it's pretty late.

Feel free to friend me (Leezil Faa) and hit me up for some partying though whenever time permits, and I think it will work out.

As a side note. 

The decision to give arcanists oven mitts as gloves right off the bat is too cruel...

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Well, since I'm coming alone into this game, perhaps we could adventure together if your "household" approves. 

Household in quotes? What is that supposed to mean. :P

Maybe, probably. Boyfriend and I are trying to play together and avoid leveling ahead of each other too much, but I don't think either of us minds having someone join us. We're both Lv. 10 or 11 now but I'm not sure if we'll be playing more tonight, it's pretty late.

Feel free to friend me (Leezil Faa) and hit me up for some partying though whenever time permits, and I think it will work out.

As a side note. 

The decision to give arcanists oven mitts as gloves right off the bat is too cruel...

One of the things I absolutely hate about chore errr umm quest grinding games that are also level based is that  if my friends aren't on and I want to play it makes it hard without. Out leveling them. It's one of the things I love about GW2. Or Vice versa which is what usually happens. I play casually most times these days and end up getting out leveled.

wish you and your crew all the best. Hope the game is what you have been looking for

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

Im actually quite intrigued with the combat myself.

Ive gotten lancer to 20, marauder to like 13, and pugilist to 10.

Low and behold I can take some skills from the other classes and use them across the board (haven't delved into magic and support that might get interesting).  I picked a self heal up from my pugilist and use it as a lancer...ect

But anyway...it seems that for 10-15 levels combat is pretty monotonous.  Once you start getting more combo skills, positional skills that do something extra if you flank or are behind...and a bunch of buffs...theres just something about it all that feels a lot different.

I was playing pugilist and was actually impressed with its complexity...some sort of passive stance rotation I have to stick to if I want all the good part of the skills to work.

It all seems very positional which I assume will be a lot more fun in endgame boss fights.

Apparently Dragoon gets some flying attacks as well as back jumps...so I look forward to jumping around all over the place.  So I plan on going that...though monk looks really interesting and a lot more complex for melee dps...good thing I can be a monk if I want.

Oh and once you figure out that you can save gear sets with classes..and drag them to your hotbar...the multi classing gets really easy.  One button I swap from a lv 20 lancer in lv20ish gear to a lv 13 marauder with lv10ish gear and a different weapon and different quest options ect.

I agree with the OP...theres a LOT of standard issue mundane quests...once you figure out the duty system, leaves (or whatever they are called) the dungeon finder and events...I dunno the quests seem kind of not worth it, other than free xp for a side trip somewhere...oh and theres monster hunting logs...kill 3 of whatever mob and get a bonus, get all of them in the list and open up another set of higher level mobs....interesting since every class seems to have a different set.  When I find a new area ill bring up the log and check out all my classes and see if I can swap and knock a few off.

It all was kind of overwhelming as a new player.  Oh I also learned to save some nooby missions for new classes.  Like when I got to the third major city I didn't touch a quest until I learned pugilist, and then did everything up to a certain level...then I kind of moved on to what my lancer was up to saving everything inbetween.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Balmung is a great community and I hope you enjoy your stay there.  I'm a retired Role Player myself, but that server has some of the most helpful people I've ever met in any game.  If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask them in chat as most of the time I've seen very helpful responses.  In fact, there's only been one friendly "argument" I've seen my entire time in game on there.

Some players who are big into world first stuff and Final Fantasy games have finished the entire storyline on their maxed out characters say it's the best Final Fantasy story they've ever played by the time they finished it.  Apparently they had reservations about it at the beginning and towards the middle, but had to sit back in their chair and think on what they experienced by the time they got to the ending (before the patches likely introduce more story as they did back in 1.0).  Here's a video of such opinion from a Legacy player who has finished it (It's spoiler free as well):

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/show/xiv-release-date-xiv-reborn-ep-5/

43:50

"This story, if you don't skip anything... and you pay attention to the main story icons... I have to say it is one of the most impressive Final Fantasy stories I have ever experienced... When the people of my Grand Company, when they finished it at the end... they just stopped, and said... This was amazing.  This makes me feel like 10 years ago when I first played Final Fantasy."

Though one would have to wait for about 35 minutes as they make fun of the server situation and all the problems the game has had.  As I haven't completed the whole story myself, I'll defer to their experience whereas I have none considering the end of the story is involved.

The thing about the game is that it's a Final Fantasy game first and foremost and a MMO second.  You are able to get from 1-50 from just the main story alone practically (with the odd fate here and there) and perchance even taking up the sidequests of the areas the main stories bring you into.  It's a very deep and complex game by the time you get to level 35ish, with the ability to miss quite a few systems as they stop holding your hand after the tutorial quests at level 15 or so.  The challenge also spikes quite considerably (depending on the classed) starting from level 20 as well.

Originally posted by cybertrucker

One of the things I absolutely hate about chore errr umm quest grinding games that are also level based is that  if my friends aren't on and I want to play it makes it hard without. Out leveling them. It's one of the things I love about GW2. Or Vice versa which is what usually happens. I play casually most times these days and end up getting out leveled.

wish you and your crew all the best. Hope the game is what you have been looking for

You are able to level sync in this game.  :)

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • aemo42aemo42 Member Posts: 12
    I am having so much fun with this game! Only problem is that I have to keep switching servers whenever I log off so I havent levelled up much. - Thing is, normally that would frustrate ne ebough to ripp the packaging in half and write a stern and forbidding opinion, but in this case - I just wanna play the game. It has been a long time since I felt like that so - Well done on the game SE, now, pick up the service!