Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: Scott Hartsman on the Future of Trion Worlds

2»

Comments

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196

Game designers are idiots.  I don't mean that specifically, I mean that generally.  They are idiots.  They have a crap load of things that have worked well in other games, and it seems they always fail to reuse those ideas.  Ie. housing and the "shinies" in Everquest  2, were  awesome additions to pass the time when you were not questing or raiding.  Other games seem to ignore these little extras.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by hammarus

Game designers are idiots.  I don't mean that specifically, I mean that generally.  They are idiots.  They have a crap load of things that have worked well in other games, and it seems they always fail to reuse those ideas.  Ie. housing and the "shinies" in Everquest  2, were  awesome additions to pass the time when you were not questing or raiding.  Other games seem to ignore these little extras.

No gamers are you people all cry you want this and that, I read every posts and look how different you people posts, Rift sucks, no  it doesn't. Defiance sucks no its great.

The devs have to deal with your whining, and how many gamers today like so many different things, this is why I like indies because they ignore whiners and make a game they would enjoy... Gamers attitude in games also ruined it for mature players.

I have left so many games I liked because the communitys are so bad... Alot of people are ruining MMO's, this is why Android and IPHONE are taking off, don't have to deal with idiots online.. That is a fact..  

Give it 3-5 years no more MMO's and you only have your selves to blame.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Salenger
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Eh ?

AA is only launching in 2014 ? wtf ?

Q1-Q2 of 2014 is shaping up to be a bloodbath, lol

Wildstar, AA, Destiny and ESO all launching 2 months apart ? 0.o

Yeah not to mention The repopulation, possibly a divergence beta etc.

ArcheAge is gonig to fail, i had interest in the game 3 years ago when news of it first came out, they simply took way too long to get it on the NA market...if it was to hit q3/4 this year different story, would have given FFXIV some competition, but going up against the q1/2/3 MMO's that are coming out next year is just such a bad idea.

I feel the same when it comes to Black desert, by the time it hits the NA market Embers of Caerus will probe be live lol (2016).  

IMHO I feel trion is going to bomb soon, I tried EoN the other day and its a 5 year old strat game with typical gameplay, Rift is slowly dying, even with its F2P model i feel within the next year it will be merging servers, Defiance...just loooks terrible.. such a basic looking game.

I thought the same thing.  If they are going to compete with all the other stuff coming out next year, they better leave all the gimmicks in from the Asian version of the game so they can pick up a niche market.  It's too bad it took so long for AA to make it over here, because I think they may have missed their window here.  Time will tell.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123
    I swear I've never heard a team take so long in translating a game. This is kind of irritating. Same thing with Blade & Soul, two games that could have been huge hits by now has the companies held back from hyping it 2 years earlier.
  • MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

Trion Worlds makes ugly looking character models. That in itself is an epic fail. The art style, races, animations, character creation and overall look of their games is very unappealing in my opinion. This has been one of the single biggest barriers of entry to their games that I personally have experienced. Rift and Defiance in particular make it so hard to play as I cannot create a character that I like the look of.

I'm not saying they have bad graphics mind you, just the art style and the look of their character models.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Bottom line is that Trion has to make better games. Rift was just average and Defiance was pretty bad.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

This is almost becoming a running gag.

Rift was DEAD before and soon again after SL hit, forced into f2p as a desperate move of a company that has written mismanagement and failure allover every title they've released or couldn't even release so far.

But now that Scott Hartsmann is back, suddenly everyone parties how awesome all things about Trion are? Mind you, he didn't not come back because everything was just so great or because he "loves Rift so much" as this Dahanese woman likes to constantly parrot, but rather to save the company from going bankrupt (and likely for a six to seven digits "welcome back") -perhaps even to bring stuff in line for a bigger sellout.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Scot

Maybe some comments on the article might be more relevant?

What we are seeing here is the musical chairs that top executives play with gaming companies. Supposedly he left to spread his wings, well if that's so it was one of the shortest flights in history. What does this mean for Trion Worlds? Very little.

Hartsman is a hardcore game Dev at heart - the Previous CEO Lars was business dude specializing in mergers and acquisitions.

Its a huge shift for Trion - their vision has shifted back to games, he also eliminated all upper management, so the company is back to being a game company again.

The problem with Trion was they were going in too many directions too fast, reading this article solidified to me that Hartsman knows how to get back on track.

So what does this mean for Trion - everything, they are focusing on games and quality again.

I have not followed this that much, I can only hope you are correct. We have just seen too many executives drafted into the gaming industry from the likes of cleaning companies and ice cream producers. He does have a creative background so that points in the right direction.

• EbanyEbany Member UncommonPosts: 56

They refused to refund any of the money I spent on my pre-purchase of Defiance CE and the DLC package I bought to support their company and product.  The game wouldn't download or install properly, nor would it play.  Worst experience in my 20+ years of gaming.

Their a pack of liars and thieves, I hope they burn in hell.

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by scarybooster
    Easiest fix for Defiance to start with would be to have a 1st person mode. The character models are awful. The game is really fun, but I can't stand the wonky controls from the misaligned 3rd person view. They want to stay 3rd person? Ask help from Warframe Devs.

There are other things, but starting with the easiest fix would help. They would draw more of an audience adding 1st person.

This is the last thing what Defiance needs. The biggest problem is that is boring like hell. Whole map looks same. No places where you can say "OMG, that s nice here". And the artifact hunt is just one huge boring zerg. One of the most boring game I have played ever. Same for series, its like for kids, not for adult sci-fi fans. How could they even be surprised people dont like it??

• RainyDayBGRainyDayBG Member Posts: 15
    The new version of End of Nations is a disgrace to the old one. Its still buggy, unbalanced with horrible main concepts - its nothing like the old rts - rather a piece of shit moba wannabe
  • PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Lipservice is Scott's best quality..   too bad he doesn't put up-front quality into his games. Cheap games pull in cheap players. (ie: true open worlds dude.. do u even play rift anymore?)

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• DavamadDavamad Member UncommonPosts: 3

Rift had it's day and now its gone. As for the other rubbish its time they canned em and focused on the one saving grace mmo they were lucky enough to take on ... ArcheAge.

Its currently their only mmo anyone really has any interest in and if they had any sense they would be more informative regarding the development and time line for this game and engage the mmo community.

I also hate seeing fake corporate mug shots.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There is something that i don't think the guys in charge of developers products understand,so i will try to get into it.

I will start with Wildstar,they feel they have the product to sell,then we have Trion,they feel they have the platform/tools to market and entice other developers to jump on board.

There is a very important point missed by most developers and that is they fail to put themselves in the shoes of the consumer.Simply having the product or tools or platform does not mean anything at all to a consumer.You have to SELL your  product or at least sell the idea well enough to get consumers interested.

I seriously feel for Archeage,there has been literally no marketing at all,nothing compared to Blizzard or Soe.I personally feel AA will be a very good solid game,but if nobody takes notice,there will be little interest.

I can even go back and point to Wildstar again,i feel it is an ambitious effort but a low budget,low tech effort at the same time,but i feel it already has a ton more interest than AA has and in only a couple months.Archeage will be more robust and a bigger overall game and have better graphics than Wildstar,it will do everything WS does and imo better and better looking.I feel WS has a bigger following right  now and by a large margin,that means the people in XLgames and Trion are not seeing the big picture to making a game popular.

I hope i am wrong,AA needs to be a success,it is a big budget game and won't entice other Korean devs to go big and come to NA if it does not succeed.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by faiyo
    I swear I've never heard a team take so long in translating a game. This is kind of irritating. Same thing with Blade & Soul, two games that could have been huge hits by now has the companies held back from hyping it 2 years earlier.

This is not atypical for Korean translations at all.  This isn't like translating German, Spanish, or French to English.  When Lineage was still alive in the US, the content update translations seemed to take forever.  We were always about 6 months or so behind the Korean updates.

I always thought it was because NC doesn't give a rip about their Western customers when in reality it's because Korean to English is a really long process AND NC doesn't give a rip about their Western customers.

I don't know.. I feel like it's about the same, at least almost. From the fandoms apart of Korean translations don't take very long to crank out. Maybe I'm assuming they're working with a good number of Koreans or what.. like I feel like they should at least have a beta running by now.

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

ive always been a hartsman fanboy. for years now

but seriously, saying youre going to "Be the good guy publisher" it just reaks of "im lying"

i dont want to say that its untrue, but you see what im saying?

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    company was starting to sink so he left lol

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Salenger
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Eh ?

AA is only launching in 2014 ? wtf ?

Q1-Q2 of 2014 is shaping up to be a bloodbath, lol

Wildstar, AA, Destiny and ESO all launching 2 months apart ? 0#o

Yeah not to mention The repopulation, possibly a divergence beta etc#

ArcheAge is gonig to fail, i had interest in the game 3 years ago when news of it first came out, they simply took way too long to get it on the NA market###if it was to hit q3/4 this year different story, would have given FFXIV some competition, but going up against the q1/2/3 MMO's that are coming out next year is just such a bad idea#

I feel the same when it comes to Black desert, by the time it hits the NA market Embers of Caerus will probe be live lol #2016##  

IMHO I feel trion is going to bomb soon, I tried EoN the other day and its a 5 year old strat game with typical gameplay, Rift is slowly dying, even with its F2P model i feel within the next year it will be merging servers, Defiance###just loooks terrible## such a basic looking game#

Rift dying? Whenever I log on Wolfsbane its very populated. Chat is active. I see people all over when I am out questing. Maybe you should provide support for your statement that it is dying.

Pvp queues times are instant to about 10 seconds.

• chanmmochanmmo Member Posts: 5
    Rift EU servers had like 6 high pop rest medium after f2p, now its down to 2 high pop few low and few medium, yea EU is leaving pretty quickly :P
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by chanmmo
    Rift EU servers had like 6 high pop rest medium after f2p, now its down to 2 high pop few low and few medium, yea EU is leaving pretty quickly :P

Happens every time with F2P conversion.

Many run in and try, then bail.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by chanmmo

That isn't too bad really. 

US servers are generally all medium to high during prime time. Right now it's Friday 9:45AM EST, and there's 8 medium and 6 low, which isn't too bad either considering most players are probably at school or work.