Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar Payment model revealed.

Comments

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

I heard about this game from ppl who thought it would be free or buy 1 time and that's it.

With this new model, i can't predict the feature, but i know that all my friends won't play i coz we already got something else in mind.

Note that we're not poor gamers who look only for free games, but i just don't yet believe that wildstar will be good enough for being a subscription based game.

When i head things like 40 man raids, instances, it makes me wonder what players are gonna do for the end game. Waiting for the next expansion like the usual?

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by adidassnofkle
    Originally posted by Masa1
    So this game is b2p AND p2p AND p2w. They really must want to milk their customers. What a load of c***.

It isn't P2W. It merely has the possibility of being P2W. Nothing is certain other than Box Sale + sub, which is just the standard P2P model actually. It can be B2P, but only if you want to farm your ass off making gold to pay your monthly sub fee. Which imo isn't true B2P. P2P Potentially B2P Potentially P2W (However, the devs say they hate to P2W, and this would really kill their game, so I have a hunch the AH won't be significant source of good gear.)

Wow.. you don't really seem to get it. It's NOT P2W only IF they disable all trading done with in game gold.

To simplify it, let's say that boss XXX drops super rare ownage weapon but only rarely. Let's say that the chance to get it per kill is 0,01%. Lucky player AAA got it, but would rather play the game for free than pay that goddamn expensive sub every month.

Suddenly a filthy rich player BBB appears and buys 100x CREDDs with his dollar wallet. He then sells them in market.. and people WILL buy them because there are plenty of people who really want to keep playing and can't afford sub price or just want to avoid spending real cash on games.

Now the filthy rich player BBB has tons of in game currency, he buys the super ownage rare weapon from player AAA. Both of them benefit.. AAA can afford years of free play time and can still buy some weaker equips while BBB now has the best weapon in the game.

BBB then owns everyone in PvP thanks to his weapon. End of story. He literally PAID TO WIN.

Yes, end of a bad story. The problem is you haven't proven that the boss drops said uber item, that you can then sell for gold. The game is p2w to an extent, but we don't know what that extent is. It could be meaningless, or it could dominate the game.

I don't have to prove it. I only have to prove that one item is better than another and you can trade that said item. Doesn't matter how much better > It's PAY TO WIN.

Does it really matter how "pay to win" it is? If we pick the worst max level equip set and compare it with the best possible set the total difference is probably around 10-50%. Even 10% makes difference.

Besides with in game gold you can probably purchase almost anything available in the game.

Want to be the best builder? Trade CREDDs for in game gold and trade in game gold for best materials.

Want to be the best figher? Buy the best equipment set with real money.

Want to be the best at whatever? Just buy things to help you, with real money ;)

• adidassnofkleadidassnofkle Member Posts: 31

So this game is b2p AND p2p AND p2w. They really must want to milk their customers. What a load of c***.

It isn't P2W. It merely has the possibility of being P2W. Nothing is certain other than Box Sale + sub, which is just the standard P2P model actually. It can be B2P, but only if you want to farm your ass off making gold to pay your monthly sub fee. Which imo isn't true B2P. P2P Potentially B2P Potentially P2W (However, the devs say they hate to P2W, and this would really kill their game, so I have a hunch the AH won't be significant source of good gear.)

Wow.. you don't really seem to get it. It's NOT P2W only IF they disable all trading done with in game gold.

To simplify it, let's say that boss XXX drops super rare ownage weapon but only rarely. Let's say that the chance to get it per kill is 0,01%. Lucky player AAA got it, but would rather play the game for free than pay that goddamn expensive sub every month.

Suddenly a filthy rich player BBB appears and buys 100x CREDDs with his dollar wallet. He then sells them in market.. and people WILL buy them because there are plenty of people who really want to keep playing and can't afford sub price or just want to avoid spending real cash on games.

Now the filthy rich player BBB has tons of in game currency, he buys the super ownage rare weapon from player AAA. Both of them benefit.. AAA can afford years of free play time and can still buy some weaker equips while BBB now has the best weapon in the game.

BBB then owns everyone in PvP thanks to his weapon. End of story. He literally PAID TO WIN.

Yes, end of a bad story. The problem is you haven't proven that the boss drops said uber item, that you can then sell for gold. The game is p2w to an extent, but we don't know what that extent is. It could be meaningless, or it could dominate the game.

I don't have to prove it. I only have to prove that one item is better than another and you can trade that said item. Doesn't matter how much better > It's PAY TO WIN. Does it really matter how "pay to win" it is? If we pick the worst item and the game (probably lvl 1 one) and the best item in the game the diff is probably 100x.

Yet, you can't prove "that one item is better than another and you can trade that said item", so WTF are you talking about?

I said it is P2W! Yes, it matters, because just about every MMO is P2W.

Goldseller > AH> Items.

The question is how good those items are.

You are practically assuming worst case scenario.

I don't have to prove it. I only have to prove that one item is better than another and you can trade that said item. Doesn't matter how much better > It's PAY TO WIN. Does it really matter how "pay to win" it is? If we pick the worst item and the game (probably lvl 1 one) and the best item in the game the diff is probably 100x.

Yet, you can't prove "that one item is better than another and you can trade that said item", so WTF are you talking about?

I don't have to prove it, it should be pretty obvious that Wildstar has items which are better than other items. > PAY TO WIN

Not every MMO is P2W at least not legally. I admit that there are gold sellers in said games but there's a huge risk for players at dealing with them discouraging their usage. Wildstart is NOT EVEN TRYING. They just throw in their own real money > game money system in which is going to be extremely popular.

P2W = Items for Cash

That is it! There is no point in making the definition anymore complex.

I said it is P2W! But P2W, like all things in life is not black and white. Just about every MMO is P2W, even if it is via 3rd party gold seller sites. The extent that it is P2W is what is important.

Goldseller > AH> Items.

You are practically assuming worst case scenario without proof, even when the worst case scenario is the least likely.

Chances are the game will be no more P2W, than WoW.

P2W = Items for Cash

That is it! There is no point in making the definition anymore complex.

I said it is P2W! But P2W, like all things in life is not black and white. Just about every MMO is P2W, even if it is via 3rd party gold seller sites. The extent that it is P2W is what is important.

Goldseller > AH> Items.

You are practically assuming worst case scenario without proof.

P2W alone is fine with me.

P2W in B2P game is worse but I can still deal with it.

P2W in B2P AND P2P is definitely crossing the line. It doesn't matter how much advantage you can get. Even if it's 1% I don't accept it.

Even WoW has P2W to some extent.

How about buying gold from gold farmers, then buying a inscription trinket early into an expac.

How about buying gold from gold farmers, then used it to buy a near BiS item from the Black market AH.

This isn't recent either. It always has, even in Vanilla.

What do you think used to keep a lot of hardcore raiders raiding back in the day? Sure as hell wasn't fairy dust.
    It was Gold they bought from farmers, which they used to buy their necessary consumables.
    Did everyone do it? No, but I know A LOT of people did. An officer in our guild used to recommend trusted sources for purchases to many of our guild members. Most people farmed gold legitimately, but for many it was nearly impossible given time/spec restraints.

• indojabijinindojabijin Member UncommonPosts: 97

There are a variety of ways that carbine can prevent pay to win. Obviously the first is the actual conversion of gold with credd. If they do it in the way that guild wars does it where it is them directly who control the market and not the players that's okay. Another thing is that most end gear and pvp gear will be obtained in ways that do not require gold. Not to mention majority of the time end game gear is bound to the account or character. Not to mention other currency in place (such as raid tokens ala rift or pvp currency). If they do 2 of the above than that would mean that gold would only be used for leveling, crafting mats, and possibly enchantments. It won't affect endgame because gear for endgame would obtained in other ways. 

In wow gold is useless at endgame. In GW2 gold is also useless because the items you want require dungeons or world completion etc. But in gw2 they have a cash shop and events that tie into the cash shop. As of this moment wild star won't have a cash shop so we don't have to worry about that (for now).  

Now of course you can say that giving any amount of currency is p2w because now people leveling have an advantage. This would happen anyways because once people max out they start funding alts and twink. But now there's another side to the coin. People can now buy game time. 

But of course, is this all hypothetically speaking. The system can work if carbine is smart enough about itemizing and how end game gear works. But if they follow the wow route in terms of gold and endgame gear with the credd system it can work. 

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Originally posted by Gorilla
    Originally posted by moguy2

Ive said it before and I will say it again...Get a job folks....Pay the 15 bucks ,... If you dont like it just ...well( wait for it ) unsubscribe. I konw right. Whod a thunk it.

The people thumping the free to play bible need to jump into the main stream work force . I will need your social security donations in 20 years.

Retired years ago. Masses of disposable income. Stiil all completely un correlated to what represents 'good value' or a 'fair price'. Still on the bright side, if the game is any good I can play all day everyday (or as much as I like anyway) and probably earn enough CRED to escape a subscription. I guess unemployed people will be able to do so also. While you are busy being a wage slave we'll all be having fun for free.... win win. I suggest you jump back out of the main stream work force to free up the most valuable commodity know to man....time.

^^  I'm for subs, but I like this post.  Well said Gorilla :)  image

No bitchers.

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by jesusjuice69

Cash > CREDD > Gold > AH > Epic Items

This is P2W!

unless epic items are soulbound.

DUM DUM DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM

There will obviously be epic items that aren't soulbound.

Cash > CREDD > Gold > AH > Epic Items

This is P2W!

unless epic items are soulbound.

DUM DUM DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM

There will obviously be epic items that aren't soulbound.

There obviously won't be any.

This fantasy is based on what champ?

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    After playing the beta, it is going f2p after a few months. I think the sub is just enough to make some money then switch to f2p.
    Originally posted by silvermember
    After playing the beta, it is going f2p after a few months. I think the sub is just enough to make some money then switch to f2p.

Baseless opinions are as far as way from facts as you can get.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Well, unless beta blows me completely away, I won't be buying this game. I hate sub fees. The GW2 model works. I wonder what percentage of sales Carbine just flushed down the toilet with this move? When a developer gives you a reason to hate them before the game even launches, that's never a good sign...

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar
    Well, unless beta blows me completely away, I won't be buying this game. I hate sub fees. The GW2 model works. I wonder what percentage of sales Carbine just flushed down the toilet with this move? When a developer gives you a reason to hate them before the game even launches, that's never a good sign...

Why in the hell do people keep saying this?  Almost every game in the history of game development has been Buy to play, so of course the god damn model works!  The problem is that it is an unrealistic model for games primarily focused on elder game content.  It just doesn't work!  It worked in GW2, because they intentionally didn't develop any elder game content!  Thus the initial development cost was far far less, and they save even more by not paying developers to make new elder game content.

This should be common sense!

If you want to complain about an MMO being sub based, then it should be ESO, not WS.

• tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Wtf is elder content? never heard that term, if you mean endgame content duh there is a lot of it in gw2 and they are bumping out content update after content update i highly doubt that doesnt cost anything you are talking utter nonsense and it seems the arguments of you p2p lovers get more moronic every day, face it guys this game will not make it as a p2p title just like like ESO, everyone knows that even the devs probably.
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by tet666
    Wtf is elder content? never heard that term, if you mean endgame content duh there is a lot of it in gw2 and they are bumping out content update after content update i highly doubt that doesnt cost anything you are talking utter nonsense and it seems the arguments of you p2p lovers get more moronic every day, face it guys this game will not make it as a p2p title just like like ESO, everyone knows that even the devs probably.

ROFL what is this lot of endgame content in GW2..

Please do tell...

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Why in the hell do people keep saying this?  Almost every game in the history of game development has been Buy to play, so of course the god damn model works!  The problem is that it is an unrealistic model for games primarily focused on elder game content.  It just doesn't work!  It worked in GW2, because they intentionally didn't develop any elder game content!  Thus the initial development cost was far far less, and they save even more by not paying developers to make new elder game content.

If you want to complain about an MMO being sub based, then it should be ESO, not WS.

I thought you stated in the ESO threads you only have concerns about animations and difficulty which of course I called you out on because of posts like these. Just another example of how you don't tell the truth by contradicting yourself in every Wildstar thread by bashing ESO every chance you get on just about every topic. Your endless quest of ESO bashing is not going to sway anyone one way or another on either ESO or Wildstar so not sure why you keep doing this.

WTF is elder content? lol

There Is Always Hope!

• tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by Tinybina

Please do tell...

Plenty of end game!

Dungeons – collect all dungeon sets, get Dungeon Master achievement

Fractals – see how high you can go, get Ascended gear.

Level all crafting disciplines, you can learn all 8 on one character.

Mini pets – collect them all.

Achievements.

Titles.

Build a legendary weapon.

Jumping Puzzles.

WvW – join your server’s Teamspeak, help your server win!
    sPvP & tPvP.

Exploring, finding/triggering obscure events, open all mini-dungeons.

Find and collect all the toys and shapeshifter items in game.

Organize or join a raid to take the Temple of Lyssa in Malchor’s Leap.

Get a couple friends and try to control the Jump puzzle in Eternal Battlegrounds (I’ve spent many a fine evening doing that, fun skirmishes & mesmer portal play).

I hit 80 months ago, haven’t run out of stuff to do yet, you see.

there is plenty of endgame content, it just might not appeal to you.

Originally posted by Tinybina

Please do tell...

Plenty of end game!

Dungeons – collect all dungeon sets, get Dungeon Master achievement

Fractals – see how high you can go, get Ascended gear.

Level all crafting disciplines, you can learn all 8 on one character.

Mini pets – collect them all.

Achievements.

Titles.

Build a legendary weapon.

Jumping Puzzles.

WvW – join your server’s Teamspeak, help your server win!
    sPvP & tPvP.

Exploring, finding/triggering obscure events, open all mini-dungeons.

Find and collect all the toys and shapeshifter items in game.

Organize or join a raid to take the Temple of Lyssa in Malchor’s Leap.

Get a couple friends and try to control the Jump puzzle in Eternal Battlegrounds (I’ve spent many a fine evening doing that, fun skirmishes & mesmer portal play).

I hit 80 months ago, haven’t run out of stuff to do yet, you see.

there is plenty of endgame content, it just might not appeal to you.

That isn't proper elder game, that is you doing random crap in the game.  You can do that stuff in any MMO!

In my day we didn't have all these fancy games, we had sticks.  You can do all kinds of things with sticks when you have nothing else to do.  However, I wouldn't call it a game.   Just a means to pass the time.

Originally posted by keithian

I thought you stated in the ESO threads you only have concerns about animations and difficulty which of course I called you out on because of posts like these. Just another example of how you don't tell the truth by contradicting yourself in every Wildstar thread by bashing ESO every chance you get on just about every topic. Your endless quest of ESO bashing is not going to sway anyone one way or another on either ESO or Wildstar so not sure why you keep doing this.

WTF is elder content? lol

Yes, I forgot about the ESO payment model, sue me.

What are you doing in the WS forum if you don't know what the elder game is?  It is the developers more appropriate term for end game content.

• EzbeeEzbee Member Posts: 31
    i really wish people knew what pay to win actually is.
    Originally posted by Ezbee

Me too.

Cash for items is P2W.

It is simple.

• EzbeeEzbee Member Posts: 31

Me too.

Cash for items is P2W.

It is simple.

No, pay to win is paying for an advantage that is not available to other players through normal gameplay.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185

Me too.

Cash for items is P2W.

It is simple.

No, pay to win is paying for an advantage that is not available to other players through normal gameplay.

& what is normal gameplay? coz if its hardcore players that can make ten time more progress per hour & play all day...thats not normal gameplay, its still pay to win

hallo ~_~

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Me too.

Cash for items is P2W.

It is simple.

No, P2W is using real money to achieve your overall objectives in the game bypassing the content you'd normally have to work through in the 1st place.

I mean isn't that how we "win" in an mmo? Achieving our objectives? Being able to acquire real ingame currency is absolutely P2W. And the more vertical the progression model the game has, the more P2W it becomes.