Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ:N, the most Soul Crushing MMO to be released in the past 10 years!

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Arcona
    Originally posted by BearKnight

-Graphics aimed at Children, think WoW 2.0

They mentioned that faces are cartoony because they wanted to make them very expressive, 3rd person view you view them from a distance.

They use a tech that detects your expressions with your webcam, and transfer it to your avatar.

I dunno why, but this reminds me of a cross with Madagascar and Thunder Cats......

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

So just cancel the project?

Hit the delete button on all the art assets?

Fire the team?

What is it you want them to do?

They have already done 2 reboots.. might as well make it 3 and back to the chalkboard :) and btw.. they aren't that far along in this game anyways.. trust me.. lol

But they won Best of Show at E3...

And Mark Jacobs is still feeding his mindless minions a steady diet of conceptual art and foundational principles. Apparently, the MMO genre and its followers are not the brightest candles on the cake these days.

You don't have to deliver a game. You can live quite comfortably on the proceeds from your "hype".

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Karble
    Originally posted by Sengi ... All I ask for are small but quite important changes. It depends how far they are with the character models, but even if they are ready, they could still change them if they wanted, considering they scraped the entire game twice.

I am sure you have heard of the character customization screen.

It is in this screen you can adjust things like

Mouth size and position.

Chin style and size.

Eye color, size, position.

They simply chose to make him look like your typical large chin hero archtype similar to Buzz Lightyear or many other tuff but approachable knightly hero characters.

I highly doubt that any kind customization options can make this model suddenly look acceptable.

But maybe you are right and the shoved all sliders to the maximum to make him look as freakish a possible. But why should they do that? Wouldn't you think they would choose a character that represents the overall look of the game.

They also must have confused the slider for the chin with the one for nose, because it is his nose is big and his chin is small. That features are not associated with a hero character, but for a goofy one.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Sengi

They also must have confused the slider for the chin with the one for nose, because it is his nose is big and his chin is small. That features are not associated with a hero character, but for a goofy one.

I think some of the Kerra diehards need to recognize the fact that some of us never liked the looks of the EQ2 Kerra...at all, or the ratonga. Hell I prefer eq 1 trolls over eq2 trolls by a huge margin

I also do not like the lolis in Terra, or the male trolls in WoW....the point is most of us do not like certain races yet you, sons and daughters of this ugly ass eq2 model, are hell bent on them making this race likable to you, for all you know they did a poll and found out that most people don't like the old Kerra.

To be honest, I don't like the new Kerra that much but not because of its art style but because furry animal races rarely do it for me, I don't like the ones in archage either....though I must admit the ones in BLESS look pretty cool..

I don't like the new gnome style in EQ2 either, they have stupid looking noses and a plastic post face lift look going on, I rather hate them to be honest.......guess what? No one gives a flip that I don't like the new gnome style, and I am not so arrogant as to run crying in multiple directions simultaneously thinking my opinion on one race in one game is that important.

I don't think they didn't do SOEmote on the kerra because it couldn't handle it, I think they didn't do it because they have not got that far along in programming.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Allein

While these threads are becoming more and more boring and pointless, they at least add a little drama to an otherwise very uneventful wait. I tried to start topics that are more positive, but I come up short because it is basically preaching to the choir.

This is the part that caught my eye, and who do we have to blame for that?  SOE..  For over a year, after 2 reboots, SOE promised to debut EQ Next as the annual show..  It is all we heard for months was "not at this time, wait for SOE Live.. Well Live came and gone and we still weren't told anything.. Smed even promised a working demo version at the show.. (which never happened)..  What real INTEL are we told about this super fantastic game?

• Class Details?
    • Race Details?
    • Starting Cities?
    • Crafting Details?
    • PvP Details?
         The areas of a game that would be the FIRST things you would have to hash out, they are unable and unwilling to talk about at this time..... REALLY?  REALLY?  Even the 1948 Tucker was real and working.. Companies need to stop hyping and making false promises and start producing..  It is our duty as a potential customer to remind companies who pays their salaries and WHO is in control.. Just like politicians.. LOL

I was expecting a lot more from SOE Live myself. Sounds like Landmark was not part of the original plan. They were making EQN and someone had the great idea to make 2 games and to focus on LM and having players involved in world design. I have no doubt that they have put a lot more focus on LM (they've said as much) and less on EQN for the time being.

Despite everything in me wanting the game now now now, I have to go with them taking there time and building a strong foundation (literally) to make a game that will hopefully last for the next 10+ years. I'm tired of game hopping and would rather way a long while then play for a short while and move on.

As time passes and Landmark comes out, the hype will go through the roof. They can take their time with EQN as they will have a pre-game for people to mess around in and potentially make money from while they wait for the main course.

Until then, we will get drip fed details. Not what I want, but I have no say in the matter. Can't say I dislike the missing details either.

While I like how Wildstar is being revealed, it actually is too much info in some cases and is taking a lot of the mystery out of the game (not that I'll play it either way). It is like movie trailers today, most of them show so much that you either don't need to see the movie or when you do, half the "moments" are old news.

I don't want to know every single aspect about the game before it is revealed, but I can handle it coming a little faster.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak

I think some of the Kerra diehards need to recognize the fact that some of us never liked the looks of the EQ2 Kerra...at all, or the ratonga. Hell I prefer eq 1 trolls over eq2 trolls by a huge margin

I also do not like the lolis in Terra, or the male trolls in WoW....the point is most of us do not like certain races yet you, sons and daughters of this ugly ass eq2 model, are hell bent on them making this race likable to you, for all you know they did a poll and found out that most people don't like the old Kerra.

To be honest, I don't like the new Kerra that much but not because of its art style but because furry animal races rarely do it for me, I don't like the ones in archage either....though I must admit the ones in BLESS look pretty cool..

I don't like the new gnome style in EQ2 either, they have stupid looking noses and a plastic post face lift look going on, I rather hate them to be honest.......guess what? No one gives a flip that I don't like the new gnome style, and I am not so arrogant as to run crying in multiple directions simultaneously thinking my opinion on one race in one game is that important.

I don't think they didn't do SOEmote on the kerra because it couldn't handle it, I think they didn't do it because they have not got that far along in programming.

I was not saying anything about EQ2s graphics, but don't like them either. I think they are just bad from a technological standpoint. The have almost no facial textures, instead they tried to define the face solely through the geometry. This is a typical rookie mistake. It caused the hardware requirements to go thought the roof, and is one of the reasons why WoW won over EQN back then.

Instead I really liked the graphics from Dark Age of Camelot and The walking Dead. They are both stylized but not cartoony.

What is wrong about expressing ones opinion about something. I'm not arrogant because I have an opinion. I'm also by far not the only one who thinks this way. As I see it a large portion of the playerbase is not pleased with the new art style.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Sengi.
    As I see it a large portion of the playerbase is not pleased with the new art style.

Where do you get this from? A few malcontents here and there making more noise than the average person who is taking the FAR more reasonable position on this whole mess of theoretical mechanics, the position of lets wait and see what they actually have. Is there some kind poll that points to this being the case?  Every poll here has gone against those who keep making post after post after post on this topic.

• joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171

I know I  gonna get crap for this but i actually  like the graphics. there slots of  detail but  its still not so realistic looking that you feel like your character is stiff  and odd when they move.  I cannt wait to  see the soemotes on them. its gonna be  fun to make faces at people

• GnostikGnostik Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak

Amen.

I would have gladly played a new game that used EQ's original graphics rather than EQ2. I always loved the Ogre model in the original game. EQ2's Ogres were so incredibly uninspired and awkward, I was really shocked at how bad they looked. In fact I was shocked by that game's graphics many times, and never in a good way. I remember this one particular turquoise-and-yellow bird mount....

Anyway, art is subjective. But anyone who thinks EQ2 looks good, well, I just know we're not on the same page. Probably not even the same book.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

<snip>

<snip>

I was expecting a lot more from SOE Live myself. Sounds like Landmark was not part of the original plan. They were making EQN and someone had the great idea to make 2 games and to focus on LM and having players involved in world design. I have no doubt that they have put a lot more focus on LM (they've said as much) and less on EQN for the time being.

My thoughts exactly. SOE thought omg we are making this huge world but we  have nothing to fill it with. It's going to take us years to do it. I know, let's get the players to fill it up for us!

Not that I can blame them, I would have done it myself, and I don't think it's a bad thing. It's good to get the community involved, and they get paid for their effort too!

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

1. How can any video game of any genre anywhere ever be "soul crushing"? That's assigning an awful lot of importance to some pixels on a screen.

2. EQN isn't anywhere near release yet. Hyperbole is just as useless and counterproductive as hype.

• salty21dbsalty21db Member Posts: 9

I've never seen so many people, myself included, conflicted over a release in quite some time. It isn't the Hype that is the issue either, and that is highly surprising. 

The issue, is that Smed is rolling some of the best aspects of an MMO in with some of the most horrible aspects for an MMO. Together, they form the most frustrating announcements that have been made in the past 10years. Even more frustrating than seeing the first iteration of what we were going to have thrown at us from gamesworkshop in the form of a WoW-Warahmmer 40k (google to see what i'm talking about).

So what's so amazing?

-Sandbox Core Gameplay

-Destructable Voxel based environemtn tied in with 3D models to handle animations (since voxels suck for animation)

-Multi-Class mentality

-Crafting that is trying to copy SWG's amazing system

-Mentality behind "An MMO isn't just made for one person", something Sandbox's actually encompass.

-Smed wants to make an EvE-style based fantasy Sandbox title, woo.

-Exploration being the emphasis over linear achievement. 

So what's so absolutely frustrating that are potentially deal-breakers for such an amazing game??

-Graphics aimed at Children, think WoW 2.0 - I'm 29 years old, with a family of 3 kids.  I see no issue with the graphics.

-Major mainstreaming of the Everquest brand, ie: dumbing down...something many didn't think was possible for a Sandbox - How do you know it's "dumbed down" when combat or anything hasn't been released to show how "hard" the game itself is?

-GW2's horribly bland combat system, with attack telegraphs You see GW2 (which had tab targetting) I see Tera (which is positional combat based like EQN currently is) and I thoroughly enjoyed Tera's combat.

-GW2's absolutely pathetic skill system, yaaay 8 abilities! - EQ1 only allowed 8 abilities up at once, guess that was pathetic too?

-GW2's Weapon system, ties in with above point about skills. - Yet they haven't mentioned how many weapons?

-Horizontal progression primarily based on gear (WoW raiding gear-stepping, but without levels?) - How in the heck is horizontal progression even remotely related to WoW? lol

-The same engine that runs Planetside 2 - I am still blown away you made this one a negative out of all of them you listed.

-Developers that think making the graphics look BETTER, or correcting their mistakes, is a crime (ie: Banning for SweetFX) - I'm lost on this one?

Misc:

-PvP was mentioned, and then thrown under the bus to not be spoken about until Beta? - Wait and see?

-How does the world handle "Troll" guilds destroying the world? - The world regenerates over time depending on location and the amount of people.

-What's the regeneration timer on destroyed world pieces? - Why did you ask the question above if you knew it regenerates?

-What's the limit to how much/deep you can destroy before the game physically stops you from doing any more? - Already stated there were different tiers to the underground.

-How does the Engine handle 100 players in the same area? Does it dynamically-instance players from each other like PS2? (this turned PS2 into a mess btw) - Instancing people into seperate areas came from EQ2, a good system imo for an MMO that's overcrowded in one area.

At the end of the day, the game is unplayable with their current WoW 2.0 Cartoon art-style, but is one of the more future-oriented core mechanics games we've seen since SWG/DAOC. Truly a frustrating event :(!!! 

Oh and the whole comparison to WoW or calling it WoW Next is getting old just based off "cartoony graphics" or epaulets lol.  If that is true then WoW is just World of Everquest because it had an Auction House like the Bazaar, it had the same view angles, it had tiered raiding and loot with stats on it.  Get real you chumps.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

I'm with the OP.

Very excited to see so much of what is planned for Everquest next, but not excited for Everquest Next.  Its not my game, its just another game for the masses.  Say what they will, but what they are crafting is not an immersive, challenging, virtual world akin to MMOs of old, its just another shallow game thats embracing blizzard's philosophy of compromising integrity to attract as many casual players as possible.

I'd like to say I hope its successful so that SOE would take their technology and make a real EQ successor, but i know success would only mean they'd neglect everything else.  So I hope they fail and learn that you can innovate and make more money with niche games like Eve, all without trying to reinvent the wheel.

A modern EQ with voxels could have pulled in a few million subs easy.

Shame.

• salty21dbsalty21db Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Dullahan

I'm with the OP.

Very excited to see so much of what is planned for Everquest next, but not excited for Everquest Next.  Its not my game, its just another game for the masses.  Say what they will, but what they are crafting is not an immersive, challenging, virtual world akin to MMOs of old, its just another shallow game thats embracing blizzard's philosophy of compromising integrity to attract as many casual players as possible.

I'd like to say I hope its successful so that SOE would take their technology and make a real EQ successor, but i know success would only mean they'd neglect everything else.  So I hope they fail and learn that you can innovate and make more money with niche games like Eve, all without trying to reinvent the wheel.

Shame.

I would highly doubt a few million subs from an EQ rehash with voxels lol.  I was an avid player of EQ1 for 5+ years and still dabble back in the progression servers every now and then.  I loved/love the game to death, but I like how people are so nostalgic toward it.  I seem to remember mass complaining about EQ1 just as I do today about current MMOs, just as I do about current MMOs in fact.  I remember constant complaining about corpse runs (why summoning npcs were put in), complaining about traveling (PoK was put in), complaining about mobs were too hard (dumbed down content).  The list goes on and on and the fact of the matter is gamers will complain no matter what they are given.  Most gamers are just miserable human beings in fact.

If you were given your modern rehash of EQ1 I guarantee the reverse spectrum would be complaining about it as soon as it was stated.  Fact of the matter is if we're given a fun, immersive, long term game...what's the problem?  So far everyone is basing them not playing EQN off of  "cartoony models," shoulder pads that can be replaced by an appearance system, and scripted combat without any AI.  Great decision making.  I'm going to go send a blind/deaf person to watch a movie and I anticipate his review, about the equivalent of what you people are doing.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I'm with the OP.

Shame.

About half of this is your guess and not fact as you're stating it.  One thing that's true is this is not like MMOs of old and that's a good thing IMO.  Not that EQ or it's general principals aren't a good thing, they are a great thing.  One aspect that some either don't want to consider or haven't thought of is that EQN may be a whole lot like EQ.  It may even extend EQ's principals depending on what EQ meant to them.

People see what they want to see.

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280

I'm with the OP.

Shame.

You have no idea what the game is going to be like , none of us do. A updated EQ will not succeed in today's market against Blizzard and a burnt out population of WoW players who are are tired of playing it and anything remotely like it. The gateway online games for young players now is minecraft and mobas(a.ka. league of legends), not mmorpgs.  A big thirst for something that isn't WoW or anything like it is where SOE is banking their game on. 

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         This will be interesting..  Someone should make a new thread called "SIGN HERE".. which would allow everyone that thinks EQN is going to become the 2nd coming of Christ to be on a list so we can go back and visit that list a year AFTER release to see if EQN has more then 200K players.. I hear 2 voices.. One says that EQN will have global huge numbers, and the other saying EQN will be niche with limited numbers.. 
  • elyssariaelyssaria Member UncommonPosts: 45

Touché!

OP - Exactly what I think as well!!!

/E

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
          I hear 2 voices... 

That explains alot about your posting history...

• kkarrabbasskkarrabbass Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Markusrind
          I hear 2 voices... 

That explains alot about your posting history...

I hear 3 voices…

I see here (as everywhere else) people divided on a few groups. Some, who criticize something. Some, who criticize criticizers.

Some people who criticize both, because we do not know anything for sure yet.

I do understand criticizers. They are not happy. I do understand criticizers of criticizers. They hate those, who disturb their happiness. I am not with undecided. You see, we never know anything for sure. This world is world of uncertainty and overestimated personal experience. It never prevented us however from having “personal” opinion.

If you watch National Geographic Channel you might see some people doing things you utterly consider unacceptable.

You might be surprised, disturbed and disgusted, but you would never have a thought to go there to their penthouse suite and criticize them for that.

So let them all have their opinions. Go with peace.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

I've never seen so many people, myself included, conflicted over a release in quite some time. It isn't the Hype that is the issue either, and that is highly surprising. 

The issue, is that Smed is rolling some of the best aspects of an MMO in with some of the most horrible aspects for an MMO. Together, they form the most frustrating announcements that have been made in the past 10years. Even more frustrating than seeing the first iteration of what we were going to have thrown at us from gamesworkshop in the form of a WoW-Warahmmer 40k (google to see what i'm talking about).

So what's so amazing?

-Sandbox Core Gameplay

-Destructable Voxel based environemtn tied in with 3D models to handle animations (since voxels suck for animation)

-Multi-Class mentality

-Crafting that is trying to copy SWG's amazing system

-Mentality behind "An MMO isn't just made for one person", something Sandbox's actually encompass.

-Smed wants to make an EvE-style based fantasy Sandbox title, woo.

-Exploration being the emphasis over linear achievement. 

So what's so absolutely frustrating that are potentially deal-breakers for such an amazing game??

-Graphics aimed at Children, think WoW 2.0

-Major mainstreaming of the Everquest brand, ie: dumbing down...something many didn't think was possible for a Sandbox

-GW2's horribly bland combat system, with attack telegraphs

-GW2's absolutely pathetic skill system, yaaay 8 abilities!

-GW2's Weapon system, ties in with above point about skills.

-Horizontal progression primarily based on gear (WoW raiding gear-stepping, but without levels?)

-The same engine that runs Planetside 2

-Developers that think making the graphics look BETTER, or correcting their mistakes, is a crime (ie: Banning for SweetFX)

Misc:

-PvP was mentioned, and then thrown under the bus to not be spoken about until Beta?

-How does the world handle "Troll" guilds destroying the world? 

-What's the regeneration timer on destroyed world pieces?

-What's the limit to how much/deep you can destroy before the game physically stops you from doing any more?

-How does the Engine handle 100 players in the same area? Does it dynamically-instance players from each other like PS2? (this turned PS2 into a mess btw)

At the end of the day, the game is unplayable with their current WoW 2.0 Cartoon art-style, but is one of the more future-oriented core mechanics games we've seen since SWG/DAOC. Truly a frustrating event :(!!! 

definitely agree with most of this, had they not called this game everquest, i think there would be a lot less frustration.

people expect an everquest game to at least resemble an everquest game to some extent. this game resembles other mmo's more than it does EQ, that's the problem.

its obvious they are making a completely different type of mmo both in mechanics and style, which is great, but it should have never been called everquest.

clearly they only named it that to get more people to play due to the popularity of the already established IP, that's it.

but other than that this is just another MMO, its not everquest.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by baphamet

definitely agree with most of this, had they not called this game everquest, i think there would be a lot less frustration.

people expect an everquest game to at least resemble an everquest game to some extent. this game resembles other mmo's more than it does EQ, that's the problem.

its obvious they are making a completely different type of mmo both in mechanics and style, which is great, but it should have never been called everquest.

clearly they only named it that to get more people to play due to the popularity of the already established IP, that's it.

but other than that this is just another MMO, its not everquest.

The two Everquest games really don't resemble one another.  EQ1 and 2 look nothing alike.  I've played the two of them for something like a combined 5 years and i've never thought one felt like everquest and the other didnt.

they both feel like everquest.  all it takes are small bits of familiarity to bring that continuity to a new game.  the opening theme to eq2 reminds me of EQ to the point that it made me tear up the first time i heard it.  (ditto the final fantasy opening theme with the famous FF chimes).  I don't get nostalgic thinking about a game's controls, nor the cartooniness of its graphics (earthbound, ever play it?).  but i DID get nostalgic watching the EQN flyover video and seeing druid spires.  THAT made the game feel like EQ.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• MarkusanMarkusan Member Posts: 92

Stop requesting a remake of EQ1. Will not happen, because such a game would never bring in millions of players. They wanted to make something different to bring in a larger player base and do something that does not necessarliy take away from their EQ1 player base. Why make several games that are similar? The games would compete with each other.

Also regarding the graphics, they stated that they want people to see emotes from a distance. In most realist looking games you have to zoom in on a characters face to see what expressions they are doing. With a more cartoonish look, characters can have enlarged eyes, etc that enable emotes to be seen from a distance.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Markusan

Stop requesting a remake of EQ1. Will not happen, because such a game would never bring in millions of players. They wanted to make something different to bring in a larger player base and do something that does not necessarliy take away from their EQ1 player base. Why make several games that are similar? The games would compete with each other.

Also regarding the graphics, they stated that they want people to see emotes from a distance. In most realist looking games you have to zoom in on a characters face to see what expressions they are doing. With a more cartoonish look, characters can have enlarged eyes, etc that enable emotes to be seen from a distance.

TY Mark for you expert opinion on game marketing..  Can we quote you to saying "EQN will bring in millions of players"..  I just want to be sure we don't misquote you.. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Like a few have said already in the thread, this should have never have had anything to do with EQ.....Give it its own IP and create a whole new game if you like, but don't use the EQ name for the sake of drawing in players, especially when this game appears to have nothing to do with the original EQ other than a few names.....Also the hype for this game is too much...There is no way SOE is going to deliver what people here think they will.....In the end, they probably come up with a destructable GW2 clone and many will be disappointed.....The reason why many here want a EQ1 remade is that we don't have one..... Vanguard failed miserably at it and EQ2 was more of a WoW clone than EQ clone.