Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's combat ?

rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

hey ^^

just curious, how this game plays, combat wise.

now that we know, its preorder or sub, i wont have a look on it because im not so into fantasy.

nevertheless im playing Tera atm, because i like the combat.

Combat systems like AoC, SWTOR or now Tera is exacly my turf.

Actioncombat with bars full of skills to master and use in the right moment to dominate over your opponent.

Is there PvP servers ? Landcontrol ? How's the PvP game at all ?

Or is it like select a target, press some "attack" button and add some specials while it autoattacks.

Those systems dont have active dodge or positioning at all, no targeting needed.

So how's that working on that reborn realm ?

Comments

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Stand and swing combat.
  • AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149
    It's boring in the early game until around 20, then it becomes really much better - more engaging and challenging. You will need lots of movement in dungeons later (not the first one).
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by rawfox

<>

Combat systems like AoC, SWTOR or now Tera is exacly my turf.

Actioncombat with bars full of skills to master and use in the right moment to dominate over your opponent.

<>

Or is it like select a target, press some "attack" button and add some specials while it autoattacks.

<>

So how's that working on that reborn realm ?

I frigging hate it, especially as a gladiator (soon to be paladin) level 20 while tanking. The global cooldown is busting my b****.

Didn't you watch videos of how it would be?

It feels worse when you're behind the controls. Because you want to interrupt a mob's attack as soon as it appears but LOOK, it's the goddamn global cooldown still up.

I'm hoping it gets better with gear that lowers gc. I'll be aiming for it.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Nothing like TERA. FFXIV is your standard fair tab target action bar game. But it is done even worse imo than other games that use tab target and GCD systems, because FFXIV has a 2.5 sec GCD that just really drags things out. Paired with the way TP is handled its really horrible. 

Don't be fooled by the TP management gig. There is no TP management its a time restraint put in place on your "Up Time" since there are no viable ways to regain TP outside of Invigorate (2min CD and only useable by some classes/jobs) and well not attacking. Your uptime is about 2minutes about 1:30 as a monk that keeps the haste buff up and then your TP starved until you let it regen; or you stay starved hitting an ability every few seconds. Just very badly designed. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149
    You get some skills without gcd and you can lower your gcd by approx. one second later as far as I know.
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Vunak23

Nothing like TERA. FFXIV is your standard fair tab target action bar game. But it is done even worse imo than other games that use tab target and GCD systems, because FFXIV has a 2.5 sec GCD that just really drags things out. Paired with the way TP is handled its really horrible. 

Don't be fooled by the TP management gig. There is no TP management its a time restraint put in place on your "Up Time" since there are no viable ways to regain TP outside of Invigorate (2min CD and only useable by some classes/jobs) and well not attacking. Your uptime is about 2minutes about 1:30 as a monk that keeps the haste buff up and then your TP starved until you let it regen; or you stay starved hitting an ability every few seconds. Just very badly designed. 

Very badly designed... or you're very low level. From what I hear monks have near infinite TP when played correctly, which it sounds like you're not doing.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Originally posted by Abrraham
    You get some skills without gcd and you can lower your gcd by approx. one second later as far as I know.

As far as you know,  yep here is a good indicator

Originally posted by Alberel

Originally posted by Vunak23

Very badly designed... or you're very low level. From what I hear monks have near infinite TP when played correctly, which it sounds like you're not doing.

From what you hear, yea there is another good indicator of how the game is. 

I have played the game. I have seen it. We have done testing based on 1.0 characters that got transferred over to the beta client in phase 3. Monks don't have infinite TP. They become TP starved faster than any of the other jobs because of Haste increasing there TP consumption. The 2.5 GCD comes down to around 2.1GCD with all the gear and haste buffs. 

Again from someone who actually played the game past 30. Yes level 32 was the cap in the beta... But not for 1.0 players that brought there characters over. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669

It's not action combat. It plays like a Final Fantasy game, I'm not sure why people expected something else.

And for pvp, again this is Final Fantasy, it's a PvE game. If you want PvP you'll have to go somewhere else, all that's here are arenas.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Tab targetting MMo. Depending on classes it can be simplistic such as gladiator while classes like monk involve lots of combo attacks and weaving abilities in well.

It feels real solid connecting blows and feels vastly more rewarding then a lot of action games (queue GW2 and SW) where you just don't feel that sense of hitting, here you feel it great... even if it feels a bit slow in how often abilities can be used. As you get further the more complex things become with other class abilities weaving into the mix.

Over-all its quite enjoyable. Dungeons in particular seem to be a lot more thoughtful then a traditional game while not being cheap, making it quite a great experience much to my surprise as it progressed. I will warn it can be overly flashy, something i do hope they have ways to turn down later since it can become quickly a cluster mess of animations flashing all over.

• Vicus_VendettaVicus_Vendetta Member Posts: 14

The Global cooldown will not be an issue as Materia and gear improve it later on.  Also expansions later will just add on to this.  I personally love everything about this game except the combat, but I know it will only get better down the road.  I would be stupid to give up on it when everything else is amazing.  I am tired of MMO's that preach innovation and do stupid stuff like allow you to tank/heal/dps/crowd control all by yourself without the need for friends and teamwork (GW2).  This is a basic trinity MMO in a Final Fantasy world..and to be honest I am SO happy it is the way it is.  Not many games are really bring true innovation.  EQnext looks like GW3 to be honest and I am not looking forward to it.  When I can jack into the Matrix to play my character only then will I take myself away from the tried and true questing and trinity MMO's.  SO tired of wasting money with the hopes that these new games with their innovation are going to allow me to have the fun I did when I played UO, EQ, and even WoW.  I am having fun for once...end of story for me.

Vicus Vendetta

Siren Server

Explorers League

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Torcip

It's not action combat. It plays like a Final Fantasy game, I'm not sure why people expected something else.

And for pvp, again this is Final Fantasy, it's a PvE game. If you want PvP you'll have to go somewhere else, all that's here are arenas.

Hehe, no need to be so blunt, dude.

I never played any FF titles before but enjoyed tabtargeting for many many years in Anarchy Online, WoW, Lotro and so on, so it is not that im "bashing" this current FF title. Just to make that absolutly clear, ok ?

I also have no idea, why you expect me something to expect from a question i just asked. Coffee mutch ?

Calm, brah ^^

Thanks for the answers so far, now i know, what to expect :)

oh, btw, i just found the live stream here

http://www.mmorpg.com/streams.cfm