Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cancel Preorder because of Character creation lock

Anyone else? I am not spending my saturday refreshing the character creation page. waiting and hoping that my guilds server opens up.  Queues... ok   locking character creation and refresh every 3 mins? Really? 

Comments

• Elegance92Elegance92 Member Posts: 93

I'm probably going to cancel all 3 of mine if this isn't changed by the end of early access.

It's bad enough I couldn't play the beta due to a forum authentication error not letting me dl the obt client in order to make my characters as is apparently needed >_>

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Sucks, lol
  • Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    I got in when I did because yeah, the character creation server is locked up at the end of the flying day.
  • Elegance92Elegance92 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Syno23
    I got in when I did because yeah, the character creation server is locked up at the end of the flying day.

I was trying the moment the servers went up, since it was 5pm my time.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    cool story bro, all the people i'm playing with got into gilgamesh with no problems at server up.
  • joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171

I image there's going to be allot of this. And even more when the next title comes out.

If you had access to the beta forums the the locks were a big issue on there. And this balancing the population line is fine and good but how many people are really going to spend all day waiting on a server to unlock before rage quitting.

of course this thread will fill with people defending SE and i suspect they also got onto there choosen servers

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Will probably do so if I don't receive early access code by tomorrow.
  • simulacrasimulacra Member CommonPosts: 93
    If you didn't get code, go to pre-order page and do it again. The page has been fixed.

As for server locks, keep trying. I personally am glad they are doing it. Long term server population balance is a good thing. Sucks you can't play with your guild though
  • KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

It certainly sucks for those that can't get on their desired server, but honestly if you saw how packed the starter zones are on the popular servers you'd understand why they are gating the servers.  Just gotta keep trying, you'll get another chance in 3 hrs when the maintenance is over. 

Cancelling a pre-order over a dev thats actually handling the launch of an MMO properly is a bit much but to each their own!  Sure you can't play right away, but its a themepark MMO built around solo content with forced level caps on major progression events.  The content will always be there and possible for you to advance at your leisure.  You should know by now that all MMOs have these issues at launch, just be happy to know that the servers have been incredibly stable and everything has been running smoothly ~ save for the Duty Finder crashing and burning{reason for the emergency maintenance} 

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    start on another server then transfer later on or wait
  • GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by Raxeon
    start on another server then transfer later on or wait

Seems pretty clear from the warning when you select a server that they are not planning to offer transfers (any time soon at least). So how long would you wait? Do you advocate sitting there re-trying to catch slots as they open up or just to leave it for a day/week/month or two and try again? 

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

As of 30 minutes before the maintenance started I was able to create a new character any server with no queue time on Gilgamesh where my guild mates are playing. tweeted about it to other guild mates and 9 others where able to create characters as well.

If you feel that your level of frustration in your personal situation warrants action feel free to do so.

I just ask that in 3-4 months time when your friends mention how great a game this is and why are you not playing you understand their eyerolls when you mention server locking. . .

• braamerbraamer Member UncommonPosts: 88
    It's frustrating, but at the same time, I very happy that FF:ARR is so busy.
  • Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

Sounds like the lock is working as intended.

If this is all it takes to get people to cancel, you wouldn't have lasted through the first month

anyway.

Better to get rid of you now & relieve the server congestion to make room for actual players.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Don't forget your controller/mouse/keyboard whatever.

That is when you "Take your controller and go home."

Be sure to stomp your feet as you go too. It really sells the whole "throwing a tantrum" scene you are doing.

• CacolacoCacolaco Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by StarI
    Will probably do so if I don't receive early access code by tomorrow.

I've seen a lot of people saying this. I never received the email with the early access code at all, I just followed the instructions on the order completion page and entered my serial code at this address:

http://preorder.na.finalfantasyxiv.com

and it gave me my early access.

As for the server locks, they update pretty frequently, or at least they did in beta 4. Just keep trying. They aren't just trying to keep the starter areas open, they are also trying to prevent everyone from starting on the same servers, so they can't just do a queue. Then people who didn't really have any reason to select a server beyond the name sounding cool will move to a different server and balance the load out a bit.

I honestly like the way they are doing it. It will probably lessen the need for server merges later on. They could have come up with some sort of pre-registration, I guess, but considering we haven't even got through a day of early access without the EU and NA servers being taken down, It would have probably just been an extra layer of disaster.

I'm just waiting for a F2P overhyped sandbox WoW clone with full PVP, epic raid bosses, instanced group content, and Crysis-quality graphics to come out. That, or something fun.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I'm canceled all 20 of my pre orders! And my guild of 7,000 are all canceling too!!

Naw just kidding. Sucks you can't get in though. Keep trying!

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Thank you open beta. So glad I made my character and got out the starter zones. Sucks, but unfortunately it's their choice while you buy the game it does come with a bonus 'not locked out of a server' so they can do what they like.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Best login system ever.

-_-
  • PuffingtonPuffington Member Posts: 35

How many of these threads are you dumb people going to make. The game isn't even released yet, this is early access. You ARE NOT PAYING TO PLAY RIGHT NOW IT IS A PRIVILEGE YOU GOT FOR PREORDERING. SQUARE IN NO WAY PROMISED YOU THAT YOU COULD PLAY UNINTERRUPTED. AT LEAST WAIT UNTIL RELEASE DATE BEFORE YOU PEONS CRY.

TL;DR You're dumb, clam down.

• JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Puffington

How many of these threads are you dumb people going to make. The game isn't even released yet, this is early access. You ARE NOT PAYING TO PLAY RIGHT NOW IT IS A PRIVILEGE YOU GOT FOR PREORDERING. SQUARE IN NO WAY PROMISED YOU THAT YOU COULD PLAY UNINTERRUPTED. AT LEAST WAIT UNTIL RELEASE DATE BEFORE YOU PEONS CRY.

You should read your TL;DR and apply to yourself. And I'm fairly certain character creation locks will happen on release too.

• PuffingtonPuffington Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Joekra
    Originally posted by Puffington

You should read your TL;DR and apply to yourself. And I'm fairly certain character creation locks will happen on release too.

Then I'm fairly certain you should cry on release? Did you cry as a kid when Santa didn't bring gifts on the 23rd? You guys are all crying about a game that hasn't been released. 

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    There are some typical launch issues happening, but this forum is busy and posting individual threads for every issue is kind of counterproductive.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.