Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO will have a box price, subscription AND a cash shop.

Comments

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by boxsnd

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1kvwop/so_elder_scrolls_online_has_a_sub_fee_and_a_cash/

Let's see the fans defend this one.

"there won't be anything like 'bonus points' but we'll have a shop to buy kinda fun stuff and services too, like name changes and things like that. But it's not part of the core game, anything in the core game is included in the subscription price."  - Matt Firor

This is wonderful news, thank you for pointing this out.  The means that ESO will have a way to appease folks who are into cosmetics.  The profits made off of this will only help this incredible title to meet the needs of the massive audience it will bring in, ala the cash shop in World of Warcraft.

Good thinking!

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1kvwop/so_elder_scrolls_online_has_a_sub_fee_and_a_cash/

Who needs to defend it? Any game worth anything will have at least a box price and a subscription. As long as there arent pay to win items in the cash shop all will be good. 

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by ZigZags

Who needs to defend it? Any game worth anything will have at least a box price and a subscription. As long as there arent pay to win items in the cash shop all will be good. 

I haven't come across any P2W MMO so far (ofcourse not counting cheap Asian F2P MMOS here). Every F2P MMOS i have been playing only sell cosmetic items and other fluff like xp pots etc.

But here in ESO you not only pay 15 bucks a month but on top of that there is cash  shop. Where as in F2P MMOS like Rift i drop few bucks on cosmetic items when i feel like.

So which one looks like a better model? both MMOS selling cosmetic items but one with sub and other without.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136

The question isn't "if" it is P2P, but how long it will stay P2P.

A lot of games have recently launched P2P but converged to F2P; had they not started as P2P they surely would not have done as well financially.

I think they realize there is a lot of hype surrounding this game, just like SWToR, so that they will get in the suckers (or merely people who have a lot of disposable income) for the first big wave of revenue then inevitably restructure as the fire dies down.

I can't really say I'm surprised, since TES is such a huge and well-known IP.

In fact, with that expectation, an integrated cash shop seems to make a lot of sense, since they will already have the necessary infrastructure to convert to f2p/b2p.

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by Piechunks

The question isn't "if" it is P2P, but how long it will stay P2P.

A lot of games have recently launched P2P but converged to F2P; had they not started as P2P they surely would not have done as well financially.

I think they realize there is a lot of hype surrounding this game, just like SWToR, so that they will get in the suckers (or merely people who have a lot of disposable income) for the first big wave of revenue then inevitably restructure as the fire dies down.

I can't really say I'm surprised, since TES is such a huge and well-known IP.

In fact, with that expectation, an integrated cash shop seems to make a lot of sense, since they will already have the necessary infrastructure to convert to f2p/b2p.

Why can't we cut out all the BS, and just say it how it is.  Corporate Greed.

That is the only factor at work here.

I am not against subscriptions, so don't get me wrong.  I am against corporate greed for the sake of greed.  I would gladly spend every dime I spent on WoW all over again, but I refuse to pay a subscription to a GW2 clone based on IP.

Originally posted by jesusjuice69

Corporations are greedy by default. The aim of any game developer (if not then by virtue of its publisher) is to maximize profit. Such things are already taken as given and only the incredible inane, or naive think otherwise.

Corporations are collections of people who want to make money, just like you do when you go to your job. That butcher who sells you meat doesn't do it because he loves you, but because that is he how earns his keep.

When I see these online people bash corporations for greed, I have to ask them how the people who work for the company make a living and why they shouldn't be able to feed their families (even if it is filet mignon rather than taco bell).

It's a childish notion to not expect people you purchase products from to maximize profit/their own utility.

Corporations are greedy by default. The aim of any game developer (if not then by virtue of its publisher) is to maximize profit. Such things are already taken as given and only the incredible inane, or naive think otherwise.

Corporations are collections of people who want to make money, just like you do when you go to your job. That butcher who sells you meat doesn't do it because he loves you, but because that is he how earns his keep.

When I see these online people bash corporations for greed, I have to ask them how the people who work for the company make a living and why they shouldn't be able to feed their families (even if it is filet mignon rather than taco bell).

It's a childish notion to not expect people you purchase products from to maximize profit/their own utility.

No, the argument you are using is childish in reasoning.

You are just saying corporations are evil, and we just have to accept that.  That is BS.  That isn't even an argument.  If we just accept everything as it is, then nothing would ever change.  Yet, changes happen all the time.

The fact of the matter is that this is a B2P quality game, and they are charging a subscription for it.  If you buy this game at this point, then the only thing I can say is you are an idiot.  You are part of the problem!  You are reinforcing the notion that they can do whatever the fuck they want, and the people, being a mindless consumers, will still purchase it.

You think the corporations have already won, but they have no real power.  You as the consumer have all the power.  Do you know what happened when Wal-mart tried to setup shop in Germany with their bullshit US wages, and benefits?  The German people boycotted it, and they were forced to close shop.  Now, the German wal-mart workforce is part of a union in, and they receive fair pay and benefits.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

Though I do think there are corporations who "don't know when to stop" and that have serious ethical issues, I agree with your post.

It's as if most people who make that "corporate greed' statement don't have a job. Which I don't believe. That road goes both ways as well.

"employees calling in sick when they aren't really sick/employees asking for raises when they haven't really justified why they deserve the extra money/employees coming in late but not taking it off their time card (if they use time cards) or not making up the time if they are salaried"

If a person has a job then their company needs to make money and that person WANTS their company to make money so they can stay employed. Of course, as I indicated, one way to make money it to be a great company that people want to do business with.

Basically some "gamers" want the days of "doom" back where it was just a few people doing it in their garage for the love it but with millions of dollars at their disposal.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I just don't like the box cost. 50-60$ for a digital download is a scam.

The game is looking pretty darn cool though.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • flclimaxflclimax Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Stizzled

You realize the cash shop doesn't sell items right?

The cash shop will include "fun items" as well as character services.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/22/gamescom-2013-the-elder-scrolls-online-subscription-ensures-pla/

Yeah I changed my post, as I have no idea what fun items means. The important part is that they said, all content comes with a sub.

Fun items could be anything from stupid hats to fireworks.

it means stuff that should be included with your subscription but won't be.

You are just saying corporations are evil, and we just have to accept that.  That is BS.  That isn't even an argument.  If we just accept everything as it is, then nothing would ever change.  Yet, changes happen all the time.

The fact of the matter is that this is a B2P quality game, and they are charging a subscription for it.  If you buy this game at this point, then the only thing I can say is you are an idiot.  You are part of the problem!  You are reinforcing the notion that they can do whatever the fuck they want, and the people, being a mindless consumers, will still purchase it.

"No" he is not saying corporations are evil deal with it. He is saying corporations or any company exist to make money. Just as you have a job to make money.

Everything I highlighted in yellow shows that you have no understanding and are very unrealistic.

1, b2p game?: your opinion no merit. I say it's a game (for argument's sake - don't really believe this) worth $100 per month!!!! see? no merit.

2, They can do whatever they want as long a they give their customers good value. If the customers don't think it's good value they will spend their money elsewhere. You are just upset because those who are making the decisions dont' share your view and you are disenfranchised. I get that anger but it is what it is.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by flclimax
    Originally posted by Stizzled

You realize the cash shop doesn't sell items right?

The cash shop will include "fun items" as well as character services.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/22/gamescom-2013-the-elder-scrolls-online-subscription-ensures-pla/

Yeah I changed my post, as I have no idea what fun items means. The important part is that they said, all content comes with a sub.

Fun items could be anything from stupid hats to fireworks.

it means stuff that should be included with your subscription but won't be.

As long as those "fun items" are unbound when purchased, and can be sold then bought with in game currency.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Sovrath

"No" he is not saying corporations are evil deal with it. He is saying corporations or any company exist to make money. Just as you have a job to make money.

Everything I highlighted in yellow shows that you have no understanding and are very unrealistic.

1, b2p game: your opinion no merit

2, They can do whatever they want as long a they give their customers good value. If the customers don't think it's good value they will spend their money elsewhere. You are just upset because those who are making the decisions dont' share your view and you are disenfranchised. I get that anger but it is what it is.

The problem is that they are right, the average consumer is mindless. 

They do share my view actually.  Greed is #1.   That is my view of them, and that is their view for this game.

B2P game for P2P price.

That is just a fact. 

No merit my ass!  We can look at other games and compare value.  This is a clone of GW2, a b2p game.   You are ASSUMING this is some golden egg, and is completely unique, thus we can't know its inherent value.

Though I do think there are corporations who "don't know when to stop" and that have serious ethical issues, I agree with your post.

It's as if most people who make that "corporate greed' statement don't have a job. Which I don't believe. That road goes both ways as well.

"employees calling in sick when they aren't really sick/employees asking for raises when they haven't really justified why they deserve the extra money/employees coming in late but not taking it off their time card (if they use time cards) or not making up the time if they are salaried"

If a person has a job then their company needs to make money and that person WANTS their company to make money so they can stay employed. Of course, as I indicated, one way to make money it to be a great company that people want to do business with.

Basically some "gamers" want the days of "doom" back where it was just a few people doing it in their garage for the love it but with millions of dollars at their disposal.

There are unethical people everywhere. Labor/production is just one aspect of daily life, just like recreational activity. 

Games were still huge in the days of doom, since the days of doom were during the 90's not too long after the crash when many companies had failed.

ID software was anything but a few guys in a garage; they were the titans of the FPS genre that they had helped spawn (although there were some minor obscure titles well before Wolfenstein 3D). Games started becoming big business well into the late 70's and early 80's.

There are unethical people everywhere. Labor/production is just one aspect of daily life, just like recreational activity. 

Games were still huge in the days of doom, since the days of doom were during the 90's not too long after the crash when many companies had failed.

ID software was anything but a few guys in a garage; they were the titans of the FPS genre that they had helped spawn (although there were some minor obscure titles well before Wolfenstein 3D). Games started becoming big business well into the late 70's and early 80's.

Don't waste your time, he hasn't a clue.  He is talking about the 90's like we were using the horse and buggy as a means of transportation.  Facts go off him like water off a duck's ass.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

They do share my view actually.  Greed is #1.   That is my view of them, and that is their view for this game.

B2P game for P2P price.

That is just a fact. 

No merit my ass!  We can look at other games and compare value.  This is a clone of GW2, a b2p game.   You are ASSUMING this is some golden egg, and is completely unique, thus we can't know its inherent value.

GW2 went into development 2007. The same year that ZOS was founded to start development on TES:O.

Seems a bit far fetched that ZOS copied GW2 before Arena.net had even created a single proper character model. Maybe some research would be useful before tossing around random accusations, GW2 fanboy.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

B2P game for P2P price.

That is just a fact. 

Then why don't you tell us when profit becomes greed?

Surely you agree the company must make a profit right? Or else they cannot pay their staff or their bills.

So tell us, in your opinion, how much are they allowed to make, before it becomes greed?

Originally posted by asrlohz

B2P game for P2P price.

That is just a fact. 

GW2 went into development 2007. The same year that ZOS was founded to start development on TES:O.

Seems a bit far fetched that ZOS copied GW2 before Arena.net had even created a single proper character model. Maybe some research would be useful before tossing around random accusations, GW2 fanboy.

Lol, a swing and a miss.  I have played GW2 for about 5 mins at a friends house.   Clone simply means they are nearly identical, which they are. 

Originally posted by Adalwulff

B2P game for P2P price.

That is just a fact. 

Surely you agree the company must make a profit right? Or else they cannot pay their staff or their bills.

So tell us, in your opinion, how much are they allowed to make, before it becomes greed?

Yah, that is easy.  Maybe you haven't been following the discussion.

Arenanet selling GW2, a B2P game, for a B2P price.   Profit.

ZOS selling TESO, a B2P game, for P2P price.  Greed

It is dishonest, and done purely out of greed.

No, you are "assuming" that because I don't share your view that I immediatley think this is a "golden egg".

So typical.

You are correct, gamers are mindless, you've shown it. You're just in a different spectrum.

The first with your "assumption" (nice job by they way, very classic) and the second that just becuase one company hopes that a b2p payment model (with CASH SHOP) is the way to go that all companies should follow.

Nothing to do with b2p being very close to "f2p" in that the cash shop is where they are hoping to make up their money because sales aren't going to do it alone. Didn't make that leap did you?

Or that cash shop games (not talking pay to win because that guy is always lurking) don't guarantee a fixed income from which to plan.

Really, would you run a business like that? come in and avail yourself of our goods. First purchase is "as is" but all purchases after that are optional. If you would like to pay that's swell otherwise no biggie. Oh, and please buy some useless T-Shirts so that we can keep our electricity on

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

Im curious as to what they could actually put in their Item Shop.

Server Change doesnt work with everyone being on 1 Mega Server.

Campaign Change would be a silly thing to make people pay for.

Doubt there would be a Class/Race/Faction Change option as they seem really adamant about locking players into this Realm Pride.

That leaves Name Change, Additional Color Pallets, Hair Styles and other Visual Character Changes, XP/Skill Boosts, Special Mounts, Extra Bank/Inv Space.

Thing is, in the past, these USE TO BE "Fun Items" that Players could get using In-Game Mechanics. Whether it be through a Quest, In- Game Currency or In-Game Skill.

But you got them by paying your $15 Sub Fee and then actually PLAYING

Now-a-days MMOs make you pay for these "Fun Items" through the Wallet Mechanic

This is of course after you have already paid them $60 for the game AND are constantly paying them $15 mo for continued access.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

Another thing Ive been thinking about is- How will ESOs pricing structure go over with the Console crowd?

PC MMO players are used to paying Box+Sub+Extras for their games on top of Internet Access.

But at least on a PC you can do much more with that Net Access than just play games.

Not so with Consoles

Just to play ESO, Console gamers have to pay Live/Network Access + Box Price + Sub Fee, then once in they are hit with an Item Shop

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by asrlohz

B2P game for P2P price.

That is just a fact. 

"GW2 clone" is the new "WOW clone." EQ Next is also being dismissively characterized the same way by all the "hip" forum warriors ... I guess it's an improvement of sorts image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Im curious as to what they could actually put in their Item Shop.

Server Change doesnt work with everyone being on 1 Mega Server.

Campaign Change would be a silly thing to make people pay for.

Doubt there would be a Class/Race/Faction Change option as they seem really adamant about locking players into this Realm Pride.

That leaves Name Change, Additional Color Pallets, Hair Styles and other Visual Character Changes, XP/Skill Boosts, Special Mounts, Extra Bank/Inv Space.

Thing is, in the past, these USE TO BE "Fun Items" that Players could get using In-Game Mechanics. Whether it be through a Quest, In- Game Currency or In-Game Skill.

But you got them by paying your $15 Sub Fee and then actually PLAYING

Now-a-days MMOs make you pay for these "Fun Items" through the Wallet Mechanic

This is of course after you have already paid them $60 for the game AND are constantly paying them $15 mo for continued access.

Actually, "server changes" kinda still works since PVP Campaigns work like servers - they've always talked about switching campaigns costing something - we thought it would be just PVP points (whatever they call those...I forget) but it could be $$ too.

Race/Alliance changes could also work. All they would have to do is change your race along with the campaign swap.

All the other stuff you're fantasizing about: XP boosts, bank space, inventory space is just that, your fantasy - no one but internet forum warriors have said that. The only concrete example they've given so far is name changes + the generic "fun stuff.'

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

Yah, that is easy.  Maybe you haven't been following the discussion.

Arenanet selling GW2, a B2P game, for a B2P price.   Profit.

ZOS selling TESO, a B2P game, for P2P price.  Greed

It is dishonest, and done purely out of greed.

You still haven't answered the question...lol

When does profit turn to greed?

How much money, in your opinion, are they "allowed" to make?