Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

How to kill a dragon ?

iixviiiixiixviiiix GSPosts: 836Member Uncommon

Top class enemy in fantasy world ,

with big body monstrous heal and mana , skin harder than steel and an anti magic being.

It can fly and one breath can ruin a small town , each step of it make earth shake ect ect ...

So

How we defeat a dragon in a MMORPG ?

- Send a hero party to ambush when it sleep in nest

- Bring a  thousand men army

- Poison it food

- Cast death's spell (lol)

ect ect ...

So

Do you thing what's best way to defeat a dragon in MMORPG fantasy world ?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by iixviiiix

Send the tank in to keep aggro. DPS players nuke. Healers try to keep everyone alive.

How else?

• BarrikorBarrikor Phoenix, AZPosts: 316Member

The bravest, most heroic way possible:

Roll a bolder over the entrance to the dragons lair, come back when it's starved to death.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Hephzibah, GAPosts: 1,946Member

So

Do you thing what's best way to defeat a dragon in MMORPG fantasy world ?

• kragekrage Miami, FLPosts: 419Member

I think for bosses like that it be more interesting to move away from the static roles of tanking, dps and healers. IMO it be fun for players to make a strategy using war machines, magic, and NPC troops to take down large monstrous creatures.

Average humanoid vs humanoid I think its great to have combat how it is now in most MMOs with toe-toe combat, but I think with huge beasts and creatures we should have to rely more kiting, special magic, terrain, and war machines to down them.

Imagine such a game was made, how hilarious it would be in your first dungeon or fight against a dragon or other monstrous creature when the "tank" goes rushing in to aggro the boss and plants his feet to begin a dps/aggro rotation only to to get bit in half, sent flying and shattered by a tail swipe, or stomped into paste by a limb.

Then again the creature would have to have some really solid AI to adjust to player positions, damage, and what it is programmed to understand as a threat (Fire, magic, clanging pots and pans lol)

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,549Member Uncommon

Epic way of defeating dragons = Skyrim, or hell, even GW2. At least in GW2, you're not supposed to be able to take direct massive hits from a creature like 100x bigger than you and survive, you have to avoid the hits.

Poor artificial way = EQ/WoW clones, with a ridiculously small player character named "tank", which would in reality be crushed in one hit by the dragon, surviving despite all odds, while the stupid dragon hits him over and over again instead of one shooting all the other characters stabbing him in his ankles.

Don't get me wrong, I raided in trinity games, notably 8 years of WoW, and had fun. But just standing there while (e.g.) Onyxia was pounding on me (I was tank), when she could actually have swallowed me whole without breaking a sweat, always seemed cheesy to.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Don't get me wrong, I raided in trinity games, notably 8 years of WoW, and had fun. But just standing there while (e.g.) Onyxia was pounding on me (I was tank), when she could actually have swallowed me whole without breaking a sweat, always seemed cheesy to.

You weren't standing there alone. You had off tanks picking up adds. You had a team of healers keeping you alive. You had DPS there making sure you weren't dragon food, too.

Beauty of the trinity model is it supports role playing classes/sub-classes. Where they couldn't do ABC by themselves, but with others they can. It supports the grouping model in MMOs.

Soloing has it place for the hero aspect and character development, but a tank isn't much of a tank by himself nor a healer.

Fact remains, Onyxia can swallow a human in one piece... so when she doesn't do it, and just stands there like a dumb moron (which she isn't according to her story line, by the way) while an army of weaker character beat her on the ankles, it looks cheesy.

There's no longer any beauty in the trinity for me. It's and old mechanic created because back then AI in MMORPGs was poor. It's an easy route for the developers, nothing more. It was "good enough" when there was nothing better. Now developers can do much better.

GW2's first fights and dungeons were not perfect by far, but ANet are getting better at it, they improved older dungeons and the new content gets more refined with much better mechanics (fractals for instance), without a cheesy trinity. And there will be MMORPGs after GW2 which I hope will refine non-trinity combat so we can leave that old, dusty and lackluster method behind forever.

That doesn't stop from having healers, dps and even "tankish" characters. It just means you can no longer just stand there when a dragon with a mouth bigger than a garage door pounds on you when it could cut you in two with one bite. Having roles isn't bad. All that threat/taunt mechanic is cheesy, though.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

Fact remains, Onyxia can swallow a human in one piece... so when she doesn't do it, and stand there like a dumb moron (which she isn't according to her story like, by the way) instead while an army of weaker character beat her on the ankles, it looks cheesy.

Well, if you don't respect the player being a hero, yeah, it would look cheesy.

If you did respect it, you are invincible even to dragons.

To me it's not cheesy, it's to be expected.

• BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Originally posted by Barrikor

Roll a bolder over the entrance to the dragons lair, come back when it's starved to death.

;)

Originally posted by UNATCOII

Fact remains, Onyxia can swallow a human in one piece... so when she doesn't do it, and stand there like a dumb moron (which she isn't according to her story like, by the way) instead while an army of weaker character beat her on the ankles, it looks cheesy.

The highlighted parts are quite contradictory to me.

And I suppose you meant "expect" and not "respect".

Actually, someone invincible is not a hero, it's a god. The point of being a hero is to overcome your own weaknesses and win. If the dragon can actually swallow you, but you manage to dodge his bites and survive, then yeah, you're a hero.

----------------

Originally posted by Barrikor

Biggest problem... find a boulder nearby heavy enough to stop even a 20+m long beast weighting several dozens of tons... you gonna need an army just to roll the boulder, and a lot of luck to find an appropriate boulder near enough =P

----------------

The highlighted parts are quite contradictory to me.

And I suppose you meant "expect" and not "respect".

Actually, someone invincible is not a hero, it's a god. The point of being a hero is to overcome your own weaknesses and win. If the dragon can actually swallow you, but you manage to dodge his bites and survive, then yeah, you're a hero.

The hero in RPGs is invincible. He's indomitable. He is essentially Jesus Christ.

A man god.

He can resurrect, but he isn't invincible. Unless you play games with cheats, in any existing MMORPG or even RPG, your character can be defeated (aka fail).

----------------

• ReizlaReizla AlkmaarPosts: 3,301Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Send the tank in to keep aggro. DPS players nuke. Healers try to keep everyone alive.

How else?

Send tank in for aggro..? Are you nuts? That tactic is not working in Neverwinter. Instead the tank should keep aggro on the random spawns and keep them away from the healer while the DPSers keep their focus on the dragon...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzlcvt_neverwinter-lair-of-the-mad-dragon_videogames

AsRock 990FX Extreme3
    AMD Phenom II 1090T ~3.2Ghz
    GEiL 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
    ASUS GTX970 3x HD monitor 1920x1080

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo SwinoujsciePosts: 383Member

Killing a dragon

The realistic approach:

• You poison it's food
    • You drown the fcker in it's cave with magic
    • You bring trees to the cave entrance, set them on fire and seal it to suffocate the sucker with smoke
    • You put it to sleep with magic and cut it's head off.

Would it work in mmorpg: Hell no, no effort and boring as hell (kinda ironic it is the realistic way to kill godly beast)

The unrealistic action packed method:

• You bring together a bunch of superheroes that are almost invincible and they hit it's toes so hard it bleeds out through them.
    • You shoot the fcker with catapults, while he stands in one spot and tries to kill the little humans that scratch it's toes.

Would it work in mmorpg: Nope, way to stupid, illogical, immersion breaking and boring (ironic that it is in most current mmo's)

The unrealistic strategic method:

• You pick the strongest hero in the land, you send him with strong mages, healers and archers to support in battle. Mages fill the warrior with powerful magic that makes him almost invincible. Warrior approaches the dragon and uses his magical ability to taunt it into attacking only him, while mages and archers blow everything they got into dragon from a safe range, and healers do everything in their power to keep the warrior alive.
    Would it work in mmorpg: Just read it, it sound much more convincing then the action method. It feels more like watching a movie, it is fantasy but keeps that logic of fictional world (was used in games but people don't like it anymore)

My proposition of a strategic + action method:

• You pick the strongest heroES, you send them with strong mages etc. etc. you know the drill. Heroes get packed with magic and go nuts on the dragon in a shadow of colossus + god of war style, running all over the monster, hitting its weak spots and drawing its attention away from casters, while mages and archers shoot everything they got at fucker in a guitar hero style, where you have to bash hard key sequences incredibly fast to pull of a skill, and healers try to keep hero alive by throwing healing rays at him fps style,  while he moves extremely fast all around monster.

Would this work in mmorpg: I have no idea, would be cool though. Should satisfy all types of players, but probably only in theory and in reality would get flamed like hell :D
  • EnrifEnrif PforzheimPosts: 151Member Uncommon

Use siege weapons to bring the dragon down/incapacitate and then hit its head until its dead!

He can resurrect, but he isn't invincible. Unless you play games with cheats, in any existing MMORPG or even RPG, your character can be defeated (aka fail).

He can rise again, as he can never truly die.

Thus, he is invincible. Indomitable. Incredible.

He's the hero, the man god.

He can rise again, as he can never truly die.

Thus, he is invincible. Indomitable. Incredible.

He's the hero, the man god.

I think I lost your point, but in the universe you are playing, he is not a god. You have a fantasy world, where everyone can rise from the dead, so it is not godly there but normal. And in that world player is defeated, when he looses battle, not when he dies. He is a hero, he can loose, he can be defeated, but defeat is not a matter of death.

So from the games point of view he is not invincible, he can loose. It is just not by dying like in real world, it is just a matter of different words and different laws of the fictional world. There is nothing godly about a hero in a game. Of course this is theory, in real life games are so easy you can't be defeated too xD

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,572Member Uncommon

The real question why would you?

If the dragon is not messing with you or your village, let it be. It is not going to drop mithril underwear of epicness, it doesn't have any loot.

Find a way to coexist.

Originally posted by DMKano

If the dragon is not messing with you or your village, let it be. It is not going to drop mithril underwear of epicness, it doesn't have any loot.

Find a way to coexist.

Dragons often have a treasure in the lore...

----------------

Find a way to coexist.

It depends on lore. In almost every legend possible, whether it is Christian, Greek, Slavic or Chinese it is always depicted as malevolent. It always has bad intentions, it is always evil, and always wants to conquer new territory. And in every myth there is a hero that needs to defeat it. And games took the idea from all that.

If you make a lore, where dragons can coexist with humans, then it would be possible.

But for any other myth and lore in this world, the answer to your question "why would you" would be because it is either you or a dragon.

Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

Find a way to coexist.

It depends on lore. In almost every legend possible, whether it is Christian, Greek, Slavic or Chinese it is always depicted as malevolent. It always has bad intentions, it is always evil, and always wants to conquer new territory. And in every myth there is a hero that needs to defeat it. And games took the idea from all that.

If you make a lore, where dragons can coexist with humans, then it would be possible.

But for any other myth and lore in this world, the answer to your question "why would you" would be because it is either you or a dragon.

There are exceptions, though.

- Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey. If they start to kill their dragons, the whole planet may as well commit suicide, it will be less painful.

- World of Warcraft. The aspects aren't automatically evil. The red aspect helps the players in many occasions.

- The movie Dragonheart, where dragons seem to be actually wiser than the humans...

- Dungeon and Dragons, some dragons are good and others evil.

- The dragons in "The Dragon and the Georges", by Gordon R. Dickson. In this one, dragons are actually sentient beings who just want to live in peace for most, and humans (they call "Georges" because of "St Georges") hunt them for sport and fame, and because they misunderstand them. A bit like we idiots hunted some species to extinction.

I'm sure there are more, those are just out of my mind.

----------------

• NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon

Fact remains, Onyxia can swallow a human in one piece... so when she doesn't do it, and just stands there like a dumb moron (which she isn't according to her story line, by the way) while an army of weaker character beat her on the ankles, it looks cheesy.

Soo...what your trying to say here is onixa should of just 1 shot you, then moved to the next player and continued down the line?

Trying to use logic in a fantasy universe is illogical..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

Soo...what your trying to say here is onixa should of just 1 shot you, then moved to the next player and continued down the line?

Trying to use logic in a fantasy universe is illogical..

What I'm saying is that a player shouldn't be able to simple stand there when a creature the size and strength of a dragon bashes his face. Some games manage to do this just fine. It's (e.g.) having to dodge when the dragon opens his jaws to try to eat you or cut you in two tasty dead parts to feed his whelps.

----------------

• VaporsVapors Fr.Posts: 407Member Uncommon
    The first dragonfight in SKYRIM, just awesome and very cool made just like a movie, with a tower u can hide with a whole army with arrows and bows, fighting him while the dragon enrages the whole area keep killing some of the army, while u can steal their arrows and keep shooting him aswell after a few he comes down u can try to behead him with ur meele weapon:D pretty much enjoyed that fight even I must admit, some others may experienced it bit easier to more lame, I just had no equip or anything so I could not even tank 2 fire breaths.