Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers locked... again?!

Comments

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587
    Originally posted by grimal

They could have done an overflow type system that GW2 did.  That would have been a better option.

Where they have different instances of certain zones on the same server?

Again... this would not solve the problem of some servers being over crowded while others were ghost towns. In fact, it might encourage it.

If SE needs the population to be more spread out, they shoul have FREE server transfers early on, so friends/guilds can stay together...

I see there is a problem, I just don't see an easy solution for both players and SE.

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Originally posted by DMKano

Ask your friends to start over on your server, not ideal but at least its a viable option.

You left off the always required statement that "they will do this if they really are your friends". This statement is incomplete without that.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley
    Originally posted by vidiotking

Maybe I will just go and play GW2.

To each their own but I would sooner stare at a locked server screen than play GW2.

If you have 2 monitors, you can play GW2 on one monitor while clicking the refresh button on FF on monitor 2... GW2 isn't all that bad. Untill 'end game' anyway.

They have a timer that only allows you to hit the refresh at an interval.  It's really rather frustrating.

I wasn't trying to start a GW2 vs FF debate here.  I was simply pointing out that the current "lock" they are employing is not a very good implementation to manage the queue.  After over thirteen years of the genre, you would think they could have chosen a better alternative.

I'm already annoyed with this game.  If this is pissing me off, I can only assume there are many others that feel the same way.

What, in your estimation, would be a better way to handle the overpopulation of servers

going into a large scale launch? An 8 hr queue is not a viable alternative, IMHO.

And sitting hitting the server refresh button for... going on four and a half hours now is somehow better?

The only difference between a queue and server locks is that the queue at least tells you roughly how long you have to wait.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Alberel

To each their own but I would sooner stare at a locked server screen than play GW2.

If you have 2 monitors, you can play GW2 on one monitor while clicking the refresh button on FF on monitor 2... GW2 isn't all that bad. Untill 'end game' anyway.

They have a timer that only allows you to hit the refresh at an interval.  It's really rather frustrating.

I wasn't trying to start a GW2 vs FF debate here.  I was simply pointing out that the current "lock" they are employing is not a very good implementation to manage the queue.  After over thirteen years of the genre, you would think they could have chosen a better alternative.

I'm already annoyed with this game.  If this is pissing me off, I can only assume there are many others that feel the same way.

What, in your estimation, would be a better way to handle the overpopulation of servers

going into a large scale launch? An 8 hr queue is not a viable alternative, IMHO.

And sitting hitting the server refresh button for... going on four and a half hours now is somehow better?

The only difference between a queue and server locks is that the queue at least tells you roughly how long you have to wait.

Or you could roll on a different server for the time being instead of continuing to beat your head against a brick wall.

Obviously I could be wrong about this, but I don't believe it is a Q issue. I believe it is a server population balance issue. So, waiting in a Q is not the answer.

• Elegance92Elegance92 Member Posts: 93

Or you could roll on a different server for the time being instead of continuing to beat your head against a brick wall.

And throw that all away when/if they open up your planned server?

Whats the point really.

In other words waste my time on another server with a character I either won't keep, or will pay SE to transfer back to the server I wanted... yeah that sounds worth it.

Seriously, the 'play on another server' comments are ridiculous. All my friends are on Moogle, therefore I can and will only play on Moogle. Don't make it sound like I'm choosing to do this. It's either this or I don't play at all.

EDIT: Vidiot I get what you're saying but a queue would cover that already. When a server has a long queue those that don't care where they play will pick one with a shorter queue. Some of us don't have much choice and will still pick a locked server whatever they do. If they gave us a lengthy queue it would serve the same purpose without the frustration for those of us with no real choice here...

The 'play on a different server' solution is NOT an acceptable solution UNLESS there are FREE server transfers at some point EARLY on.

It's just a bad situation. SE should probably 'locked' servers EARLIER so that people were'nt all congregated on a few in the first place.

I see the point about Q attrition now... 

Originally posted by Elegance92

And throw that all away when/if they open up your planned server?

Whats the point really.

To enjoy ourselves?

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Actually,  they unlocked the server I wanted, so it looks like it is being monitored and checked.  So perhaps I overreacted a bit.
    Actually,  they unlocked the server I wanted, so it looks like it is being monitored and checked.  So perhaps I overreacted a bit.

/WOOT x 1000

Just curious... what server?

Oh yea... you're playing now.

Lucky you. Moogle remains locked for the entirety of early access so far...

• Bluefear77Bluefear77 Member UncommonPosts: 112

which server is that?

Because the server (Gilgamesh) I've been waiting for has been locked all morning.

Originally posted by Bluefear77

which server is that?

Because the server (Gilgamesh) I've been waiting for has been locked all morning.

According to polls, 35% of the player base in on Gilgamesh. That's why it's locked. This was my point. SE doesn't want more people on that server.. and for good reason.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Yeah there is that option... but the fact that this system even makes that the only real option just highlights how stupid it is.

Even worse is the fact THAT server might get locked while they are moving >_>

Indeed... right now all but one of the EU servers are locked. Last weekend there was actually a point when ALL of the EU servers were locked which... well... there are no words...

Seriously?

READ your OWN WORDS: "Last weekend there was actually a point when ALL of the EU servers were locked."

MEANING THAT AT SOME POINT THEY WILL UNLOCK.

Be patient.

Ask your friends to move, if they wont they aren't your friends.

I understand your frustration. Well not so much since it is mostly about tripe and not built with logic.

The 'play on a different server' solution is NOT an acceptable solution UNLESS there are FREE server transfers at some point EARLY on.

I just meant in the interim, until the servers open up. But I do agree with your main point that a continuous lock would only make sense if free transfers become available after server stabilization is complete.

I assume SE has a plan.

• Elegance92Elegance92 Member Posts: 93

I just meant in the interim, until the servers open up. But I do agree with your main point that a continuous lock would only make sense if free transfers become available after server stabilization is complete.

I assume SE has a plan.

It's going to be the weekend now though(in asia) so we probably won't see anything from then until after the EA period is pretty much over.

I'd do that(play on another server to kill time), but quite frankly I don't want to have to redo anything, it's just going to wear me out, which I'd like to avoid. So if it comes to that I'll just cancel and play something else.

I assume SE has a plan.

This is my first time playing an online SE game. I don't know if i can expect them to have a plan or not. But I'll play the optimist.

Doors of Perception is one of my all time favorite books btw...

I assume SE has a plan.

This is my first time playing an online SE game. I don't know if i can expect them to have a plan or not. But I'll play the optimist.

Doors of Perception is one of my all time favorite books btw...

Optimism until I have reason for the alternative. If EA were coming to a close, I may not be so optimistic.

DoP & BNW are both pretty high on my list as well but I celebrate the entire catalog. Classics.

Originally posted by Four0Six

Yeah there is that option... but the fact that this system even makes that the only real option just highlights how stupid it is.

Even worse is the fact THAT server might get locked while they are moving >_>

Indeed... right now all but one of the EU servers are locked. Last weekend there was actually a point when ALL of the EU servers were locked which... well... there are no words...

Seriously?

READ your OWN WORDS: "Last weekend there was actually a point when ALL of the EU servers were locked."

MEANING THAT AT SOME POINT THEY WILL UNLOCK.

Be patient.

Ask your friends to move, if they wont they aren't your friends.

I understand your frustration. Well not so much since it is mostly about tripe and not built with logic.

Yeah thanks for the needless insults. Shows great maturity there. All I can do is laugh at your comment about my friends. They've all spent 3 days playing so far... that's a LOT of progress to lose and I will not ask them to do that. Don't you dare judge them based on your own ignorance.

Yes the servers did eventually unlock last weekend, but we never knew when they would do so. Moogle was locked for well over 12 hours last Saturday. Either I sit at my computer hitting refresh all day long or I give up on early access and do something else. You see the problem? These server locks basically mean some players are being denied early access...

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Can't you exercise some patience ? They might give free transfers later if you seriously cannot deal with  launch woes then  don't play at launch .Wait for a week it will probably be much better then.
    Chamber of Chains
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Can't you exercise some patience ? They might give free transfers later if you seriously cannot deal with  launch woes then  don't play at launch .Wait for a week it will probably be much better then.

If it were a case of server downtime or something unforseen I would be more patient.

The fact is though someone at SE is choosing to lock these servers with the intent to encourage players to roll on other worlds. They seem to be missing the fact that a lot of us will not roll elsewhere though as we already have friends on the locked worlds.

This isn't a bug, or glitch, or server crash... it's a really bad method of population control that is pissing off a lot of people who want to play with their friends.

@ Alberel:

It sucks, there's no denying it. My friend waited 3 hours during P4 to get on Behemouth so he could play w/ me...

I don't know how many mmo launches you've been involved with, but they don't usually go too well. Not that this information is supposed to be any consolation to you.

Jus' sayin'.

SE seems to be pretty legit. I mean they did do right by FFXIV, remaking it I mean. Maybe they will offer free server transfers. To SELECT servers. That would make sense.

@ Alberel:

It sucks, there's no denying it. My friend waited 3 hours during P4 to get on Behemouth so he could play w/ me...

I don't know how many mmo launches you've been involved with, but they don't usually go too well. Not that this information is supposed to be any consolation to you.

Jus' sayin'.

Yeah I've played plenty of MMOs at launch and I'm used to problems. To be honest the thing that's actually bothering me isn't so much the fact that I can't get in, but that SE are arbitrarily blocking me form getting in despite the servers being up and running fine. It's been nearly five and a half hours now...

• joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171

It was the same issues last weekend And many people were just defending SE and  using " its beta as an excuse.

Now i image they're going to say well its early access what do you suspect