Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Hardware Review] General: Razer Naga 2014 Edition Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Gaming peripherals are a staple of MMO players everywhere, none so crucial to be top-notch as a mouse. One of the more popular brands is the Razer Naga. In our latest hardware review, we take a look at the 2014 version of the venerable mouse. Read on!

I’ve always loved the Naga by Razer. If you’re an MMO gamer, and haven’t picked up the Logitech equivalent or Razer’s MMO mouse, you’re really missing out. Once you’ve learned how to play these games with the thumb hotkeys, it feels like a huge tactical step backwards to try and do without them. That’s why I was glad to get my hands on the newly refreshed 2014 Edition of the Naga (retailing for $79.99) when Razer sent a review copy my way.  You wouldn’t think there would be much “new” to remodeled version of the MMO mouse, but you’d be surprised how much a few slight changes can alter how the hardware fits in the hand and how it suddenly needs to be relearned. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's Razer Naga 2014 Edition Review.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    hmm Didnt see anything enticing enough to make me want to up grade from the "Classic"..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    I like the look. Thanks for the review.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

"The 2014 Naga also steps up the game with the Synapse software, which allows you to save your settings on the mouse to the cloud (using a Razer account), and then keeping those settings on whatever PC your using.  It’s a great idea, but unless you’re constantly gaming on different PCs, I really don’t see the need for it."

Nice and polite comment on the Synapse :)  for me that was the final push towards G600, when they made this cloud BS mandatory last year (or was it the 2012 model? not sure).

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Don't need it anymore since the "Future is 8 or less skills"

/srcasm off

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Don't need it anymore since the "Future is 8 or less skills"

/srcasm off

Nope, that's close the present, as someone said about Neverwinter, there were more buttons needed in Doom...

the Future is "faceroll and sleep while the game plays itself" :)   (and that's almost here as well, rewards for simply log in, leveling offline, etc.)

But these mice are good for off-game too, you can macroing the s**t out of them (at least the G600).

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Bill!!! You forgot the most important feature of all!! At least for some of us ;) they have a leftie version!

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Use it for 6 months and see if it doesn't wear out in that time.  Every Razer Naga I've picked up has gone to **** in 6 months or less, then it's a 3 or 4 week return trip back to Razer for a replacement until the warranty runs out.

I picked up the Madcatz Cyborg MMO 7 and have been far happier with it than I ever was with the Naga or the Logitech version.  It is more expensive, sure, but it feels like you get a good quality product, not a cheap piece of plastic.

Edit: And just for reference, I've purchased the Razer Naga three different times.  I like it for what it is, it just wears out on you too fast, but after using the Cyborg MMO 7, I wouldn't go back to the Naga even if somehow they decided to start making it with high quality materials.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Bill!!! You forgot the most important feature of all!! At least for some of us ;) they have a leftie version!

I would of liked that when I first started using a mouse, but I had to adapt and get use to the right mouse, every computer was set up and such for righties...I should probably look into getting a lefty mouse though, I think I would like playing games and the way I set up my keyboard for mmos would be more natural with a lefty mouse (I use the numpad for a lot of spell selects and stuff, and some keys around it).

• MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143
    I'm wishing they'd make one for a bigger then average hand. It's getting tiresome holding my old naga in a claw like grip
  • teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

My wife got the me the original Naga when it first came out for Xmas two or three years ago and I'm still using it. At the time I was using a Logitech G500, which I absolutely LOVED for the adjustable weight, multiple buttons, and the generally perfect feel of the mouse, so I while I was extremely grateful for having such an awesome wife to get me something that, IMO, was one of the best, and most well thought out gifts I've ever received I was very hesitant to switch. But since she had obviously put so much thought into my gift(s) that year (she also got me a Logitech G510 keyboard, and G35 Headphones...yeah, overall I couldn't be happier w/ what she got me, and yes, I realize how lucky I am to have such an awesome, thoughtful wife), I had to at least try it out.

Well, I'm still using the Naga (and keyboard, and headphones too) and have to say, as much I LOVED my G500 and have considered picking up the updated version, the G600, I don't want to give up my Naga. It still works like a charm, and I've gotten so used to the thumb-grid I don't think I could, or would want to, give them up. Once you master using those 12 thumb buttons, whether for a MMO, FPS, RTS, or w/e, it becomes like second nature and you will never want to go back to using the number row on the keyboard, or even worse....mouse clicking your buttons on the UI.

I know people have mentioned quality issues w/ Razer products, or are uncertain about if they'd like using the thumb-grid. But seriously, if you play any type of game on your PC that requires more button presses than "WASD" you NEED to try out a Razer (or even the Logitech version...(I haven't tried that one personally, but Logitech makes great products).

I only have 2 real complaints concerning the Naga (and my complaints may have been remedied in the newer versions)...I prefer "tighter" clicks on a mouse-wheel; and the new "Synapse" software is bloated and a waste of memory IMO (but can be useful for editing the thumb-grid or other mouse buttons, and for enabling "on the fly" changes of sensitivity through setting the 2 extra index finger buttons to adjust the dpi up or down). Other than that, I love this mouse.

• RhazesRhazes Member Posts: 7
    For me to be interested in this mouse it needs to come with some kind of attachment that will roll my face on my keyboard for me. Who needs 12 buttons in 2 years MMOs will only use left and right click.
  • RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

I replaced my Naga with the MMO7 and could not be more happy.

http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/mmo.htm

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• RhazesRhazes Member Posts: 7
    @Redcor, Your not scared its going to transform into a Deceptacon and kill you?
  • LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223

One of the worst mouses, for the price you're paying, you'd expect not to get the dreadful "DRCoD" as in Double Right Click of Death. The first one was still inside warranty so I replaced it, and the other one did the same not even 4 months later.  Bought a cheap 12$ Logitech mouse, best purchase I've ever done, mouse wise, still going strong to this day after 3 years. 

Sorry, but the Naga is all show but no go, for that price you got way better reliable options. If they made them more durable this time around, it doesn't change my views on them, they should of made them durable since the start.

• Princess.ClaudePrincess.Claude Member UncommonPosts: 65
    The single most importent thing about this mouse, is that it comes in a lefty version, i through my money after it the second i could. also flipwheel !
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

The naga is the mouse I've always had in my mind ever since I started playing mmo's. Pity I didn't have the mind to mention it to someone who could engineer the thing.

I love my naga. Don't really need a new one at the moment though I would be willing to try it out to see if it "fit" better.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    The only problem with Razer I have is the software that seems to keep crashing when I boot up. I have the Naga molten. But it took a long time for me to get used and I still have a tendency to go mouse keyboard combo.
  • KexinKexin Member UncommonPosts: 69
    This mouse is almost impossible to find now with good reasons. Its not ready yet. My Naga 2014 was defective right out of the box due to poor Y axis tracking! I love Nagas, they're the best MMO mouse there is, nothing comes close but Razer quality is shit.
  • slash9456slash9456 Member UncommonPosts: 13

Please don't buy a Naga.

Mine lasted only a year. They are garbage.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by slash9456

Please don't buy a Naga.

I imagine one's mileage may vary. I've heard that some people have had issues with their stuff. I've had my naga mouse since 2009 and no (knock on wood) problems yet.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • mhexmhex Member Posts: 29
    red*, I don't care about your subliminal mad catz ads

• mhexmhex Member Posts: 29
    I'm still using a simple razer copperhead, bought it years ago.. ZERO problems
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    seems they are copying some of the G600 designs.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by slash9456

Please don't buy a Naga.

I imagine one's mileage may vary. I've heard that some people have had issues with their stuff. I've had my naga mouse since 2009 and no (knock on wood) problems yet.

I've heard the people talk about razer products lasting almost no time at all, but every one I own (naga, anansi, sabertooth, and a pair of headphones) all have been in use for over a year and are going strong. I did have a different razer mouse die after I spilled some soup on it one time, but that would have been my own fault.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by red_cruiser

Use it for 6 months and see if it doesn't wear out in that time.  Every Razer Naga I've picked up has gone to **** in 6 months or less, then it's a 3 or 4 week return trip back to Razer for a replacement until the warranty runs out.

-snip-

I have a terrible track record with Naga mice also, especially the elite wireless version which I sent back 3 times for various problems before changing to a Logitech G600. If Logitech did a similar “mechanical” version I’d probably upgrade to that but as it stands with this mouse I’d be very reluctant to upgrade to it because of my past experience.