Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers locked... again?!

AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

All of my friends are on Moogle from Phase 4 beta. Moogle was already locked for new characters when the game went live for early access... so basically I can't play with them. What exactly does SE expect me to do?

I know I'm not the only one too. The official forums have two lengthy threads on this already.

Comments

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587

Your point is a valid one.

However, what do you expect SE to do? They can't just let an unlimited number  of people on some servers...

I'm guessing they will have to allow server transfers at some point.

Hoping anyway.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

I assume that it is locked for a reason.

• Elegance92Elegance92 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by vidiotking

However, what do you expect SE to do? They can't just let an unlimited number  of people on some servers...

Hoping anyway.

To my knowledge there will be... it will be paid transfers though, so whats going on is pretty unacceptable given the circumstances.

This is definitely going to lose them some players.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

The post on their launcher said that they are locking servers if the starting areas have too many people in them at that time.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

There is no reason. They have login queues so any issues relating to having too many characters on a server are solved by that alone.

The official statement from SE is that it's to reduce congestion in starting areas... but Moogle was already locked before the servers went live so I find it hard to believe the starting zones are congested at all.

Originally posted by Alberel

There is no reason. They have login queues so any issues relating to having too many characters on a server are solved by that alone.

The official statement from SE is that it's to reduce congestion in starting areas... but Moogle was already locked before the servers went live so I find it hard to believe the starting zones are congested at all.

You could be right. They're probably just doing it to mess with you.

Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

Ok then, explain why no other game ever has to do this? I can think of no reason why they should NEED to lock servers like this if they have server queues.

Originally posted by Elegance92

Hoping anyway.

To my knowledge there will be... it will be paid transfers though, so whats going on is pretty unacceptable given the circumstances.

This is definitely going to lose them some players.

"Paid transfers" is kind of lame.... if they are not letting people log on to certain servers. 

During Phase 4 i had to keep refreshing the servers, for about 15min, or 5 times before it let me create a character on Behemoth, where my friends are.

Maybe they will be generous and allow a 1 time server transfer? Or is this folly?

I have been on other mmo's where some servers were "locked". It's not unprecedented.

Yeah there is that option... but the fact that this system even makes that the only real option just highlights how stupid it is.

Yeah there is that option... but the fact that this system even makes that the only real option just highlights how stupid it is.

Even worse is the fact THAT server might get locked while they are moving >_>

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    I've been on games where there are multiple hour wait times to get in to the server. Can either play on a different server, or wait for this one to become unlocked. Considering no server stayed locked the entire beta 4, and beta 4 was open, it's kind of your fault for no being there to make a toon while it was open.

Killing dragons is my shit

Originally posted by Elegance92

Even worse is the fact THAT server might get locked while they are moving >_>

Indeed... right now all but one of the EU servers are locked. Last weekend there was actually a point when ALL of the EU servers were locked which... well... there are no words...

Originally posted by Riposte.This
    I've been on games where there are multiple hour wait times to get in to the server. Can either play on a different server, or wait for this one to become unlocked. Considering no server stayed locked the entire beta 4, and beta 4 was open, it's kind of your fault for no being there to make a toon while it was open.

Yes, it's my fault for not being able to play at a time that is convenient to SE's choice of when to lock servers. Sure.

EDIT: It's worth adding that a multiple hour queue would be favorable to having to click refresh on the server list every 3 minutes and not knowing how long I'll actually be doing it for. Moogle was locked for over 12 hours last weekend at one point.

Originally posted by Riposte.This

Again, let me mention that not everyone could get into beta 4 due to errors on Squares end.

I'm still being denied forum registration even after making a character.

Couldn't get to the beta 4 dl link since it was on the beta forums, which I could never access.

(It's not an isolated issue, many in my region get it)

I believe this is what is known as social engineering for the long term benefit of the entire playing population.

Consider that not everyone who has characters on these servers is playing right now but will be at launch.

• XaradasXaradas Member Posts: 37

Ok then, explain why no other game ever has to do this? I can think of no reason why they should NEED to lock servers like this if they have server queues.

They stated before launch to expect this, they are throttling the servers so a: The huge load of people won't kill the server and make it so nobody can play. b: As stated to reduce congestion in the starting areas. Makes perfect sense to me, and I know you are probably irritated and I would be too, but you will be able to join the server just keep checking back on it every once in awhile.  Oh and FYI almost every single MMO in existence has throttled servers on launch day, though not  for length of time that SE has been keeping theirs throttled.

Side note of pure speculation but I also believe they are throttling to force people to play on other servers ( not meaning to separate friends ) so one server doesn't have a much larger population than another. If you look at one of the polls, they had over 50% of the people were all playing on Gilgamesh leaving other servers cripplingly barren ( according to poll anyways).

Originally posted by Xaradas

They stated before launch to expect this, they are throttling the servers so a: The huge load of people won't kill the server and make it so nobody can play. b: As stated to reduce congestion in the starting areas. Makes perfect sense to me, and I know you are probably irritated and I would be too, but you will be able to join the server just keep checking back on it every once in awhile.  Oh and FYI almost every single MMO in existence has throttled servers on launch day, though not  for length of time that SE has been keeping theirs throttled.

Side note of pure speculation but I also believe they are throttling to force people to play on other servers ( not meaning to separate friends ) so one server doesn't have a much larger population than another. If you look at one of the polls, they had over 50% of the people were all playing on Gilgamesh leaving other servers cripplingly barren ( according to poll anyways).

I understand that. The thing is other games do it simply using login queues. This game has login queues in addition to hard locks on the server, which is just overkill.

With regards to the congestion thing that makes sense for all worlds but Moogle. Like I said earlier Moogle was already locked when the servers went live... I somehow doubt there is much congestion in the starting areas on Moogle.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I agree.  The whole system is prohibiting friends from playing together.  Really really bad planning on their part.  Makes me wonder why I even am bothering to create a character for Early Access as it seems the best thing to do is to just wait it out until they get this mess sorted out.

Already has put a bad taste in my mouth.  Maybe I will just go and play GW2.

I too saw the poll where 3 or 4 servers had over 75% of the player population. I'm sure this has something to do with it.
    Originally posted by grimal

Maybe I will just go and play GW2.

To each their own but I would sooner stare at a locked server screen than play GW2.

To each their own but I would sooner stare at a locked server screen than play GW2.

If you have 2 monitors, you can play GW2 on one monitor while clicking the refresh button on FF on monitor 2... GW2 isn't all that bad. Untill 'end game' anyway.

If you have 2 monitors, you can play GW2 on one monitor while clicking the refresh button on FF on monitor 2... GW2 isn't all that bad. Untill 'end game' anyway.

They have a timer that only allows you to hit the refresh at an interval.  It's really rather frustrating.

I wasn't trying to start a GW2 vs FF debate here.  I was simply pointing out that the current "lock" they are employing is not a very good implementation to manage the queue.  After over thirteen years of the genre, you would think they could have chosen a better alternative.

I'm already annoyed with this game.  If this is pissing me off, I can only assume there are many others that feel the same way.

They have a timer that only allows you to hit the refresh at an interval.  It's really rather frustrating.

I wasn't trying to start a GW2 vs FF debate here.  I was simply pointing out that the current "lock" they are employing is not a very good implementation to manage the queue.  After over thirteen years of the genre, you would think they could have chosen a better alternative.

I'm already annoyed with this game.  If this is pissing me off, I can only assume there are many others that feel the same way.

I don't think the lock is in place to deal with the Q. I believe the lock is in place because server population is SO out of whack. They don't want some servers to be bursting at the seems while others are ghost towns... 

It does make some sense. Like I mentioned before, what is SE to do?? Look at the poll results here

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1wq4PQKU2j_nY7hQA9MntqhuBGBaIeRPvCpRW_y5sdNU/viewanalytics#start=publishanalytics

Can't have everyone on one server.

I don't think the lock is in place to deal with the Q. I believe the lock is in place because server population is SO out of whack. They don't want some servers to be bursting at the seems while others are ghost towns... 

It does make some sense. Like I mentioned before, what is SE to do?? Look at the poll results here

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1wq4PQKU2j_nY7hQA9MntqhuBGBaIeRPvCpRW_y5sdNU/viewanalytics#start=publishanalytics

Can't have everyone on one server.

They could have done an overflow type system that GW2 did.  That would have been a better option.

Deleted by poster due to redundancy.