Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ:N, the most Soul Crushing MMO to be released in the past 10 years!

Comments

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

ONLY downside that could be considered remotely valid on your list is the Disney graphics. And I mean ONLY. And even then, it's still a matter of opinion. Which is what your entire list is- OPINION. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with the combat, progression, skill system, etc. (or at least there's no way to criticize it until we've seen it)

But more to the point-- Do you have some kind of personal vendetta against Sony? Did EQ classic give you post-traumatic stress disorder that you feel it's necessary to tarnish the series in any way you can?

We haven't even seen EQN in action and you are committed to bashing their game! Just in case you didn't know, all the bickering and ranting is not changing anyone's mind here.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by jesusjuice69
    Originally posted by Sengi
    Originally posted by Zorgo

In what way is this any different than any other thread you've written.

BearKnight hates EQN. We get it....what is your objective?

You keep coming into the bar and screaming how much you hate beer. I guess the difference in this one is that you are telling us you hate the taste of beer but you are conflicted as you enjoy alcoholism.

I don't know what to do with this info.....you want me to hate it too?

Sorry you were let down. Time to move on, buddy.

Please stop calling everyone who only utters a minor complain about the game a hater. Why can't some people not understand, that you can like something and still criticise parts of it. You can be fan of a football team and still don't like one of the players or throw empty cans at the stupid lion mascot for that matter.

I know, you only want to defend the game. But I'm sure BearKnight is as exited about EQN as you are. As you see, he has 7 points that he finds "amazing". It must be allowed to say something critical about the game. Just consider that the greatest fans are always the greatest critics.

Do you honestly think someone would repeatedly write long posts about a game he hates? Most games on the list here at the site are cheap asian grinders. What do you think why he doesn't post there.

Minor?  He pretty much said he hates the whole game.

Where exactly does he say he hates EQN? Instant he calls the game "amazing" several times. He said some it has some "horrible aspects", "deal breakers" and "frustrating announcements". I must admit this sounds quite a bit extreme, but some of the actually aren't minor complains.

But the reason why the "aspects" are so "horrible" is that they occur in a otherwise literally groundbreaking game.

As he said, the new Warhammer 40k game is frustrating too, but we can just shrug it off as another cheap P2W game. Its only sad that the 40k IP gets butcher so much.

And I must say I don't agree with BearKnight on many points. And you don't have to either. But The Kerra really is a deal-breaker.

---

Actually I wouldn't have a problem if someone would post that he hates EQN as long as he stays polite. That's his opinion, so what?

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576

If there is one thing from the very very limited information we have that I am not worried about it would be the engine

Planetside 2 isn't a perfect game, but there is no denying that the engine is good enough to host an MMORPG, it can handle a LOT of people and equipment at the same time, with particle effects and weapons going on, it isn't perfectly optimized but I was able to run it on my old AMD a6 with integrated graphic card.

Yes MMO's are not shooters, FPS games have limited models in comparison to most MMO's and far less customization of those models, at the same time the details in Planetside are very high compared to an MMO and it still had three factions with various classes various weapons and a lot of ground combat engines and planes all on screen all at the same time. It is a good engine with good lighting and I am glad they are using it.

I think if you look past your dislikes you will admit that the landscapes shown in the Landmark demo videos are very nice.

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    It was the best of times; it was the worst of times.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

Mainstreaming is not a bad thing, for the company and for investors and hell for that matter it is not a problem for players who like having a world full of other PCs. Oh and not bad for the game at all as generating revenue is the point and the more players you have the longer the game lasts and the more updates and such can be created.

Sorry MMOs aren't designed with niche hipsters in mind... go figure something with MASSIVELY in the title attempts to serve the masses rather than cater to the elitists.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by jesusjuice69

Please stop calling everyone who only utters a minor complain about the game a hater. Why can't some people not understand, that you can like something and still criticise parts of it. You can be fan of a football team and still don't like one of the players or throw empty cans at the stupid lion mascot for that matter.

I know, you only want to defend the game. But I'm sure BearKnight is as exited about EQN as you are. As you see, he has 7 points that he finds "amazing". It must be allowed to say something critical about the game. Just consider that the greatest fans are always the greatest critics.

Do you honestly think someone would repeatedly write long posts about a game he hates? Most games on the list here at the site are cheap asian grinders. What do you think why he doesn't post there.

Minor?  He pretty much said he hates the whole game.

Where exactly does he say he hates EQN? Instant he calls the game "amazing" several times. He said some it has some "horrible aspects", "deal breakers" and "frustrating announcements". I must admit this sounds quite a bit extreme, but some of the actually aren't minor complains.

But the reason why the "aspects" are so "horrible" is that they occur in a otherwise literally groundbreaking game.

As he said, the new Warhammer 40k game is frustrating too, but we can just shrug it off as another cheap P2W game. Its only sad that the 40k IP gets butcher so much.

And I must say I don't agree with BearKnight on many points. And you don't have to either. But The Kerra really is a deal-breaker.

---

Actually I wouldn't have a problem if someone would post that he hates EQN as long as he stays polite. That's his opinion, so what?

You seem to be late tot he party.

The reason people are cynical about the OP's intent is because everyday since Aug 2nd he's created multiple threads which all boil down to he doesn't like the character art style.He'll add in whatever else he's seen someone else talking about to have an excuse to make a new thread but it always boils down to he graphics and his hatred of them.

This is the first time I remember him posting anything positive about EQN but you can't blame anyone for believing it's just there to give him another excuse to complain about the graphics given his past posts/threads.

Also aside from the graphics and the few skills from 2 classes shown in the tech demo at SOE live there is no basis for any judgement positive or negative.Everything else right now is words and promises.

Originally posted by Gnostik

So the game is "soul crushing" and "unplayable" because you don't care for the art?

You say WoW's art is "made for children". I say WoW's art is one of the major reasons it's been so successful. It has style. The textures are interesting. It's not overly realistic; it knows that people don't play this type of game for photo-realism.

If you haven't noticed, MMORPGs that try for photo-realistic graphics tend not to do so well. I won't go so far as to say the graphics are the cause, but photo-realism is certainly not a requirement and probably not even an asset in terms of making your game a success.

The graphics in EQ2 were one of the main things that turned me off from the game. They were overly realistic, particularly  the textures, which I feel rarely looks good rendered in 3D at the level of the typical video card. Similarly, I felt like the graphics engine "upgrade" to Dark Age of Camelot was a total failure, largely because they tried to move more toward "realism" and lost the distinctive art style. The day WoW "updates" its iconic and evocative graphics engine will be the end of an era.

From what I've seen, EQ:N's art style is somewhere between the pseudo-realism of EQ2 and the highly stylized graphics of WoW. Dark Age of Camelot's original art was in a similar place, and that game's original art is possibly my favorite in the genre - "realistic", plausible, but tweaked in interesting and artistic ways.

A game's art is only going to make it "unplayable" if it's poorly done so as to not meet a minimum standard of quality. EQ:N's art clearly meets that standard, even if you personally don't care for the direction they've taken it.

Actually the point is that he does care for the art, he only dislikes it.

WoWs art style was actually born out of necessity. They had to use low poly graphics, so they embraced that and made it look as if they wanted it that way, which was a really good idea. Its high poly models made EQ2 almost unplayable at the start. I don't like EQ2s graphics either. Also they where just not good from a technical standpoint.

No one is asking for photo-realism. You are right this is not the way to go. But there is more to a graphic style then realism versus stylization. The art style can also be gritty or whimsical.

I don't think EQNs art style is anywhere between WoW and EQ2, instead the went in a whole different direction - straight to Disneyland. Art can be stylized and dark at the same time. Just look at The Walking Dead.

I think the graphics of Dark Age of Camelot where perfect for their time. They look serious, and serious graphics are good for serious action and serious storytelling. The characters in Dark Age of Camelot look like they want to chop off some body parts, and you will buy into it, if they tell you afterwards, that they don't get the gory images out of their head. With EQNs graphics this would look both out of place.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    I guess why he's single is obvious enough, I think I am gonna add him to my troll list along with narcissusaddon or w/e that dude's name was.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I dont listen to a word that Smedley says...he's a glorified salesman and not much else......My hopes for EQN aren't very high.... SOE often promises the world and delivers Little Caesars pizza.....
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by BearKnight

You keep coming into the bar and screaming how much you hate beer. I don't know what to do with this info.....you want me to hate it too?

This is a forum, and more to the point your opinion is no better or worse than mine. I'm allowed to share my opinion just as you are. 

If you don't like what I have to say then don't post.

Furthermore, I do not HATE EQ:N, I hate the lead director for yet again trying to Mainstream EQ. Look what happened to EQ2! It's the same blasted thing happening again. 

I'd rather say something, and try, than give up and walk away.

What do you hope to achieve?

Well that's easy answer, it's called awareness.

I too am disappointed in some features that EQN will have, however my personal hype on this game has gone from 10 to 5 and still dropping. The game looks to be very simple base to draw in more of the instant gratification crowd and this is not what I look for in a mmorpg, we already got way too many of the same ole same ole or a one trick pony mmo.

Once I heard a possible port to console, well we know where this game is going. Yeah it may be fun for the majority looking for another easy mmo to play, but I will look into this game when it releases and see if anything has changed from now.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

EQN certainly has drawn a wide range of opinions. My thoughts when I saw the announcements were generally pretty upbeat. Love the sandbox elements and the voxel system. Like that they are trying to get the community involved early on in the project. Not a fan of the graphics style, or the GW2 style limited combat options.

But overall the game has a ton of promise, and it's still early enough in development that players can make their voice be heard. I'm certainly going to give it a whirl when it comes out.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    I dont listen to a word that Smedley says...he's a glorified salesman and not much else......My hopes for EQN aren't very high.... SOE often promises the world and delivers Little Caesars pizza.....

Hey Theocritus, that Little Caesars pan pizza is pretty damn good, however their traditional style pizza has yet to be desired by me image

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by 7imelord
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Hey Theocritus, that Little Caesars pan pizza is pretty damn good, however their traditional style pizza has yet to be desired by me image

A shitty pizza from the frozen section is nearly $5, so what do you expect lol.

Originally posted by Drakynn

You seem to be late tot he party.

The reason people are cynical about the OP's intent is because everyday since Aug 2nd he's created multiple threads which all boil down to he doesn't like the character art style.He'll add in whatever else he's seen someone else talking about to have an excuse to make a new thread but it always boils down to he graphics and his hatred of them.

This is the first time I remember him posting anything positive about EQN but you can't blame anyone for believing it's just there to give him another excuse to complain about the graphics given his past posts/threads.

Also aside from the graphics and the few skills from 2 classes shown in the tech demo at SOE live there is no basis for any judgement positive or negative.Everything else right now is words and promises.

Well, he wasn't that alone. A good chunk of that was actually me. ;p Although I only made 2 threads about the topic.

I haven't read every tread on this forum and I'm certainly not here to defend an other user. I can't say what the OP posted elsewhere. All I can see is that you are probably right, that he tends to overshoot it. His posts are often a bit unfair and too extreme. I just noticed I was not paying attention to the title of the threat. That really could be seen as trolling, and it doesn't even describe what the OP wrote in his initial post.

I don't like the graphics, and I believe a good portion of the players think that way. EQN is shooting itself in the foot, by alienating a lot of its player base. This art style will cost SOE customers, and it won't bring then many new ones, because no one actually asked for these graphics. I guess everyone who is pleased with the graphics had no problem with less cartoony ones too. Or did you ever hear someone say: "I always wantet EQN to look like a Disney movie".

There are people who defend everything about the game no matter what, even if its so obvious as this Kerra. But the truth has to be told and everyone is allowed to have a opinion.

• MidniteHowlMidniteHowl Member UncommonPosts: 149

So what's so amazing?

-Crafting that is trying to copy SWG's amazing system

Did I miss an announcement of the EQN crafting somewhere? Every video or interview I've watched so far only says "we're not talking about crafting yet." So I'm just wondering how there can be any comparison to another games crafting when nothing for EQN's crafting has been revealed yet? I'm serious, did I miss something talking about the crafting? I would love to hear about it. If I did miss something please provide a link that touches on the crafting system.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by MidniteHowl

So what's so amazing?

-Crafting that is trying to copy SWG's amazing system

Did I miss an announcement of the EQN crafting somewhere? Every video or interview I've watched so far only says "we're not talking about crafting yet." So I'm just wondering how there can be any comparison to another games crafting when nothing for EQN's crafting has been revealed yet? I'm serious, did I miss something talking about the crafting? I would love to hear about it. If I did miss something please provide a link that touches on the crafting system.

I think all we know so far is that items will be composed of various pieces. So for example a sword will probably consist of a blade, handle and some sort of ornamentation.

Also, what the pieces are made out of will have an effect on the overall attributes of the item. For example copper is a good electrical conductor so may be used in a caster wand or focus. However, copper is a soft metal so wouldn't be any good as a blade.

So in effect higher tier items won't necessarily need higher tier materials and the copper you were mining in the starter area will be just as viable for use in whatever you are crafting.

That's about as much as I can recall.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

No , you didn't miss anything..  NOTHING , absolutely nothing has been talked with crafting in EQN, other then "It'll be great".. which is just hype..  I don't see EQN coming even remotely close to what SWG pulled off in crafting..  Now SWG wasn't perfect in my eyes it had some issues that drove me nuts.. BUT... The floating ever changing MAT values were amazing.. I loved how you had to pay attention to the quality of the product and the effect it had on production..   I don't see EQN doing that.. 

What I would like to see is something similar to the original EQ but better..  Certain leathers for example will give you a certain quality of product.. and EVEN without a family of leather such a bear hide for example.. You may get ruined, fair, good, excellent and pristine.. Each of those again changing the stat of the final product.. Us the same concepts for food and drink as well.. There better be fishing naturally.. Since this is suppose to be a sandbox and there won't be SWG type harvesters, I wouldn't mind seeing something in the form of "farms"..  Lay down a crop, come back a day later and harvest it..

But, we've heard nothing ..  We could end up with WoW "create all" crafting.. lol

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I don't like a lot of what they are doing, but man, crushing a box of Kleenex tissues every day on the forums is not going to make them redesign the game...They may change some small things, but they are not going to scrap the game and start over.

The most you might get is some model touch ups, and such, but the major things are staying, good or bad.  I don't like the weapon tied skills, gw2 combat, gfx aren't my thing...and I voice it, but their is a couple people on a crusade, you guys are going so overboard, people are just probably going to ignore you for the most part, since every thread is the sky has fallen.

Maybe if you guys pick a few smaller things and focus, but to basically boycott the whole game and rail against about every aspect, your spread yourselves out too much imo. 

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

So what's so absolutely frustrating that are potentially deal-breakers for such an amazing game??

-Graphics aimed at Children, think WoW 2.0 

At the end of the day, the game is unplayable with their current WoW 2.0 Cartoon art-style, but is one of the more future-oriented core mechanics games we've seen since SWG/DAOC. Truly a frustrating event :(!!! 

Can you show me some games geared towards adults that aren't found on 18+ websites?

I'm in my 30's and think EQN looks great. Also thought SWG, DAoC, EQ, WoW, etc looked great. All were stylized in their own way and had wide appeal to many types of players of all ages, genders, backgrounds. Games like AoC & ESO cater more to the 15-35 year old male metal listening demographic and suffer because of that (although I'm sure plenty of Skyrim/ES fans will play for a bit).

I know some want Black Desert/Bless type graphics, but until I see them running on something resembling a typical gaming PC with actual in-game footage, not a bunch of perfect scenes slapped together, I'll just keep thinking those games are a long way off in vaporland.

If you can't get past the graphics, no amount of gameplay is going to make up for it. If what you see on screen makes you want to punch the screen, you won't have a very enjoyable experience. My suggestion is wait until they actual reveal the majority of the game before letting your soul get crushed. Maybe a scantily clad dark elf necro doing something "evil" will change your mind...

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Xthos

I don't like a lot of what they are doing, but man, crushing a box of Kleenex tissues every day on the forums is not going to make them redesign the game...They may change some small things, but they are not going to scrap the game and start over.

The most you might get is some model touch ups, and such, but the major things are staying, good or bad.  I don't like the weapon tied skills, gw2 combat, gfx aren't my thing...and I voice it, but their is a couple people on a crusade, you guys are going so overboard, people are just probably going to ignore you for the most part, since every thread is the sky has fallen.

Maybe if you guys pick a few smaller things and focus, but to basically boycott the whole game and rail against about every aspect, your spread yourselves out too much imo. 

While these threads are becoming more and more boring and pointless, they at least add a little drama to an otherwise very uneventful wait. I tried to start topics that are more positive, but I come up short because it is basically preaching to the choir.

Where as the negative nancys are trying their best to get people to come over to the tissue side.

Reddit at least has SOE response. A few of the most active crusaders should probably try their speil over there, especially since down voting is off for now...

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

the OP (AGAIN) is saying something along the lines of:

"the 2015 subaru impreza is not worth driving"

and then listing a bunch of random stuff.  Random, because there is absolutely no way to corroborate the above statement.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Allein

While these threads are becoming more and more boring and pointless, they at least add a little drama to an otherwise very uneventful wait. I tried to start topics that are more positive, but I come up short because it is basically preaching to the choir.

This is the part that caught my eye, and who do we have to blame for that?  SOE..  For over a year, after 2 reboots, SOE promised to debut EQ Next as the annual show..  It is all we heard for months was "not at this time, wait for SOE Live.. Well Live came and gone and we still weren't told anything.. Smed even promised a working demo version at the show.. (which never happened)..  What real INTEL are we told about this super fantastic game?

• Class Details?
    • Race Details?
    • Starting Cities?
    • Crafting Details?
    • PvP Details?
         The areas of a game that would be the FIRST things you would have to hash out, they are unable and unwilling to talk about at this time..... REALLY?  REALLY?  Even the 1948 Tucker was real and working.. Companies need to stop hyping and making false promises and start producing..  It is our duty as a potential customer to remind companies who pays their salaries and WHO is in control.. Just like politicians.. LOL
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Your cons are the reasons I'm gonna play EQN along side GW2.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by 7imelord

You keep coming into the bar and screaming how much you hate beer. I don't know what to do with this info.....you want me to hate it too?

This is a forum, and more to the point your opinion is no better or worse than mine. I'm allowed to share my opinion just as you are. 

If you don't like what I have to say then don't post.

Furthermore, I do not HATE EQ:N, I hate the lead director for yet again trying to Mainstream EQ. Look what happened to EQ2! It's the same blasted thing happening again. 

I'd rather say something, and try, than give up and walk away.

What do you hope to achieve?

Well that's easy answer, it's called awareness.

I too am disappointed in some features that EQN will have, however my personal hype on this game has gone from 10 to 5 and still dropping. The game looks to be very simple base to draw in more of the instant gratification crowd and this is not what I look for in a mmorpg, we already got way too many of the same ole same ole or a one trick pony mmo.

Once I heard a possible port to console, well we know where this game is going. Yeah it may be fun for the majority looking for another easy mmo to play, but I will look into this game when it releases and see if anything has changed from now.

So we need an internet campaign to create awareness that EQN has a cartoon art style? 

Priorities well placed.