Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

can't have a bunch of summoners running around. Make a TANK!!

dekkion1dekkion1 Member UncommonPosts: 152

frankly i love the tank class in this game,  And trust me this is one game that needs a tank,  so i been thinkin about

rollin a tank . The paladin   looks good   tho i think i need to zam it and learn more about this class .  ahhh yessss!! i can see it now,  what ever my toon name will be i will be the best  i can be and my name will be known.

gammer 4 life

Comments

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    been a tank all my  life. staying that way.
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    honeslty i would like to play every single class in this game. they all seem awesome.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Epicent
    been a tank all my  life. staying that way.

Been playing MMO's since 1999 with EQ1. Started tanking during BC of WoW and havne't played another role seriously since. Tanking is my niche. I"ll be rolling a Gld/Pally.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    It's on my to do list. . . .
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Making a warrior. I prefer it s tanking style over paladin. Apparently the healers in my FC do too.
  • Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Making a warrior. I prefer it s tanking style over paladin. Apparently the healers in my FC do too.

Care to explain why? I don't know, didn't play any of the beta's. I usually prefer Crusader type tanks lore wise like Pally's and Dark knight types. In WoW, the Warrior was my 3rd favorite out of the 4 tanks I played.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Elevenb4
    Originally posted by Soki123

Care to explain why? I don't know, didn't play any of the beta's. I usually prefer Crusader type tanks lore wise like Pally's and Dark knight types. In WoW, the Warrior was my 3rd favorite out of the 4 tanks I played.

Sure. It s a 2 handed wielding AOE tank. It has self heals off of damage. When you need that "oh shit" tank, they re better apparently. I enjoyed both, but warrior just suits my style better. Unfortunately people tend to like the quicker killing nowadays.

• dekkion1dekkion1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    a glad cant hold agrooo enuff said
    gammer 4 life
  • DuffMcDDuffMcD Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Started out with Pugilist, planned to get the following jobs in roughly this order: Monk/Dragoon/Bard/Warrior and then see how it goes from there. Leveled up Marauder after PGL for MNK and loved it! Leveled up CNJ a bit to take advantage of the Gridania quests instead of grinding a healer class, will use that towards Paladin instead and switch to leveling Gladiator for Warrior and PLD jobs upon early release, will go back eventually for Lancer to do some DPS jobs also. DoW WTF!
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Warriors will take more direct damage but have more HP to enable them to take hits.

Paladins will be better at negating damage before it ever gets to them, but will not have as much HP.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223

http://www.ffxivguild.com/a-realm-reborn-warrior-v-paladin-tanking-guide/

This should help out between warrior or paladin tanking roles.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• TabmoweTabmowe Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Been a summoner most of my mmo life,staying that way.
  • AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    I'm betting it's close to sixes - all dependent on the gear differential.  Also going to depend on how your healers are setup, whether is 1/1, 2/0, or 0/2 scholar/whm.
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    I agree. Saw a lot of arcanists last beta, scary. I'm rolling a gladiator, tanks rule.

Arcanists were OP up to level 20.  Best tanks, supports, and good damage.

That also won't last.

• cranthugcranthug Member UncommonPosts: 102

If you're referring to the shear amount of carbuncles polluting the streets of Ul'dah this past beta event, I would attribute that to it being the first time the arcanist class was available to play. 

It seemed that GLD and MRD both had difficulty holding agro early on, and even up to lvl 30 instances...when there were dps'ers in the party who didn't understand what the tiny unit frames were, that popped up on the left of the screen when they engaged in combat.  I will hope and assume that as all the tank classes progress they obtain more abilities to help them hold agro...aoe threat seeming the most difficult to get early on without consciously switching between all targets.  I'm sure cross class abilities help in that regard as well.

Just an fyi dps'ers...that little red icon to the left of the agroed npc's name on the enmity unit frame means stop attacking, not continue to unload while you run away from the tank trying to save your ass.  :D  Cause I'll inform you kindly once or twice...after that I'm not healing you haha 

Cheeky Basterd - Midgardsormr

Originally posted by cranthug

If you're referring to the shear amount of carbuncles polluting the streets of Ul'dah this past beta event, I would attribute that to it being the first time the arcanist class was available to play. 

It seemed that GLD and MRD both had difficulty holding agro early on, and even up to lvl 30 instances...when there were dps'ers in the party who didn't understand what the tiny unit frames were, that popped up on the left of the screen when they engaged in combat.  I will hope and assume that as all the tank classes progress they obtain more abilities to help them hold agro...aoe threat seeming the most difficult to get early on without consciously switching between all targets.  I'm sure cross class abilities help in that regard as well.

Just an fyi dps'ers...that little red icon to the left of the agroed npc's name on the enmity unit frame means stop attacking, not continue to unload while you run away from the tank trying to save your ass.  :D  Cause I'll inform you kindly once or twice...after that I'm not healing you haha 

Good healers give proper advice.

Great healers carry the idiots anyway.  :P

Just sayin....

Originally posted by Alamareth
    I agree. Saw a lot of arcanists last beta, scary. I'm rolling a gladiator, tanks rule.

Arcanists were OP up to level 20.  Best tanks, supports, and good damage.

That also won't last.

I have no idea what you mean.

Topaz Carbuncle is the best tank up to level 20 - which is as far as I took arcanist.  They do not lose aggro to anyone and they have more HP.  The heals from Arcanist are on par with Conjurer, and can gain the protect/res skills from Conjurer.  Thus, they are the best tank/support in the game for the level.

Their damage is good too.  It's flat out OP.

It's also due to goofy scaling on the Carbuncle.  I think it's safe to assume the true tanks and DPS'ers will emerge once we get to the 2nd tier classes.

Good healers give proper advice.

Great healers carry the idiots anyway.  :P

Just sayin....

Yes yes, I know haha...I'm all talk.  I don't have it in me to be anything less than exceptional.  Which sadly means keeping those alive that can't follow simple directions.  The fear of God can go a long way however...using the same line in groups has been successful thus far.

are you saying tanks have no agro?

I'm saying that early on it definitely seems that certain dps classes can pull agro easily if they try.  But I'm saying more so that a tank should never lose agro when competent dps'ers are present.  I mean it is spelled out for them right there on the screen...you are getting agro, slow down your dps.

Yeah, games with a raid focus are a bit touchy about aggro.

We are going to be pretty pigeonholed into a specific role.  As such, DPS'ers are there for well...DPS.  A lot of it.  Tanks are there to take hits but it's usually balanced in a way where if the DPS'ers go balls to the walls boomstick, then they better be ready to take a whole buttload of damage.

Which makes healers sad.

We are going to be pretty pigeonholed into a specific role.  As such, DPS'ers are there for well...DPS.  A lot of it.  Tanks are there to take hits but it's usually balanced in a way where if the DPS'ers go balls to the walls boomstick, then they better be ready to take a whole buttload of damage.

Which makes healers sad.

What makes me sad now that you mention it...is when these dps players that do pull agro, they do not try to lose it.  So I am healing double the amount that I should be while Legolas the Archer is tanking a behemoth...gives me something to do sure haha...but in a three mob pull when one is on the tank, one is on an overzealous dps'er, the third inevitably comes for me as a result of my need for over healing and generating threat myself.  I don't want those filthy beasts touching me.  But it's whatever, Cure spam turns to Medica spam....no real threat of death in any dungeons yet.  But I do try to learn the kiddies on proper techniques so that they might actually become assets to a group someday.

Which makes healers sad.

What makes me sad now that you mention it...is when these dps players that do pull agro, they do not try to lose it.  So I am healing double the amount that I should be while Legolas the Archer is tanking a behemoth...gives me something to do sure haha...but in a three mob pull when one is on the tank, one is on an overzealous dps'er, the third inevitably comes for me as a result of my need for over healing and generating threat myself.  I don't want those filthy beasts touching me.  But it's whatever, Cure spam turns to Medica spam....no real threat of death in any dungeons yet.  But I do try to learn the kiddies on proper techniques so that they might actually become assets to a group someday.

Don't forget, it's always your fault.

Which makes healers sad.

Don't forget, it's always your fault.

Bahaha, this is exactly what my girlfriend tells me all the time.  Perhaps she is a closet gamer after all...and doesn't detest my chosen hobby to the degree that she claims.  What trickery is this?!!

And yes, that's usually the case.  But for the most part the community in this game has been helpful, patient, and understanding.  Even pleasant to be around and chat up.  I have only encountered jackassery in the past weekend beta event...phase 4.  Most every single duty finder I've been in has been great....and as a healer I am in a lot of them to level up. Why I'll be playing this game further, great community...hopefully that remains the case.

as a healer, you're always subject to dismay. The hardest class to play. Good luck, Sir!

Haha!  Well ty for the support.  I personally think that tanking is harder, responsibility wise as well as micro managing.  I can mosey into every basic instance without any knowledge of boss mechanics, and just watch health bars and heal the ones missing 1/4 or more of their total...in order of most lost to least.  The 2.5 gcd makes this really simple as I can't really do much spamming anyway.  Hopefully the health regen spell is off the GCD!

Healers take flak for sure...but people can't argue with the truth.  When the aftermath of a failed fight gets broken down rarely is it a healer's fault...unless they're just not healing while they check their email. haha

In my experience at least....:)

as a healer, you're always subject to dismay. The hardest class to play. Good luck, Sir!

Haha!  Well ty for the support.  I personally think that tanking is harder, responsibility wise as well as micro managing.  I can mosey into every basic instance without any knowledge of boss mechanics, and just watch health bars and heal the ones missing 1/4 or more of their total...in order of most lost to least.  The 2.5 gcd makes this really simple as I can't really do much spamming anyway.

Healers take flak for sure...but you can't argue with the truth.  When the aftermath of a fight gets broken down rarely is it a healer's fault...unless they're just not healing while they check their email. haha

you must have not played SWTOR. Uggg! As a healer, the abuse was horrid! I excelled as a Tank in Tera, alas, I felt emasculated as a healer in SWTOR, hence my reticence in being one in FF!

Been playing supports and hybrid supports for years.  I have no intention of stopping now.

Haha!  Well ty for the support.  I personally think that tanking is harder, responsibility wise as well as micro managing.  I can mosey into every basic instance without any knowledge of boss mechanics, and just watch health bars and heal the ones missing 1/4 or more of their total...in order of most lost to least.  The 2.5 gcd makes this really simple as I can't really do much spamming anyway.

Healers take flak for sure...but you can't argue with the truth.  When the aftermath of a fight gets broken down rarely is it a healer's fault...unless they're just not healing while they check their email. haha

you must have not played SWTOR. Uggg! As a healer, the abuse was horrid! I excelled as a Tank in Tera, alas, I felt emasculated as a healer in SWTOR, hence my reticence in being one in FF!

No, SWTOR was the first mmo in a long time that I refused to give into the hype and anticipation...and wait and see how it played out.  When the reviews came in...I decided to pass.  I can't imagine what abuse you experienced...but I will apologize for those A-holes myself.  haha, sorry!

Yoshi-P put the call out on beta forums for more players to roll tanks, I salute you, sir!  Enjoy your instant duty finder queues!