Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It offers nothing new

Comments

• NoctiqueNoctique Member Posts: 216
    Originally posted by Joekra
    Originally posted by Roin
    Originally posted by BadSpock

The game is just fun. Plain and simple.

It's a game world full of characters and adventures I want to see and experience.

That's enough.

And that's why I feel sorry for some people that call themselves gamer. There is more truth in BadSpock statement then most people know. When I check out a game or try it out. I'm not looking for it to be inventive. I'm not looking for it to reinvent the wheel. When I go into a game I'm simply asking myself one thing. Is it fun?

That's the main reason why while so many people will be here on forums crying about something. I'll actually be playing something. I'm looking for just one thing in my games. Fun. For me FFXIV ARR nailed it.

Have to agree, rather have a game that is fun and doesn't do anything new than a game that tries to be the revolution of mmorpgs and ends up being boring after a week.

I have to agree also, I'm a little sick of "revolutionary innovation", I would rather solid game play and an excellent story. This game has that, it's not aiming to take over the world or change it.

Die Noctique, By Day and Night

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587
    I've been having sex for over 30 years... I still like it. It's nothing new, but I still find it enjoyable...
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

It's a game world full of characters and adventures I want to see and experience.

That's enough.

And that's why I feel sorry for some people that call themselves gamer. There is more truth in BadSpock statement then most people know. When I check out a game or try it out. I'm not looking for it to be inventive. I'm not looking for it to reinvent the wheel. When I go into a game I'm simply asking myself one thing. Is it fun?

That's the main reason why while so many people will be here on forums crying about something. I'll actually be playing something. I'm looking for just one thing in my games. Fun. For me FFXIV ARR nailed it.

I think this post matches what I was trying to get at.

All the stuff floating around in other threads, all the stuff SoE is trying to do, all the stuff ANET tried to do, all the stuff Blizzard did. Throw in Trion,  Bioware and a few others. What did we get? A long list of games we aren't playing anymore. Why aren't we playing them? Didn't they "innovate" enough?

No, Since 2008, All I have been saying to myself is. Why can't I just have a game that plays like WoW TBC? (among a couple others) It's not like we know it can't be done. They did it. 

Every so called WoW Clone that came out since, never captured what that expansion did. So was it the lack of innovation? I doubt it. 

It's ALWAYS been about making an MMO that continuously makes you want to come back.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

im mmorpg addict so i kinda need play tis game so long that ESO and EQN get released.

played all others interesting mmorpgs to end.

Originally posted by vidiotking
    I've been having sex for over 30 years... I still like it. It's nothing new, but I still find it enjoyable...

+1

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Silhouette83

+1

AHAHAHA vidiotking for president, best analogy ever.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

That's enough.

I think this post matches what I was trying to get at.

All the stuff floating around in other threads, all the stuff SoE is trying to do, all the stuff ANET tried to do, all the stuff Blizzard did. Throw in Trion,  Bioware and a few others. What did we get? A long list of games we aren't playing anymore. Why aren't we playing them? Didn't they "innovate" enough?

No, Since 2008, All I have been saying to myself is. Why can't I just have a game that plays like WoW TBC? (among a couple others) It's not like we know it can't be done. They did it. 

Every so called WoW Clone that came out since, never captured what that expansion did. So was it the lack of innovation? I doubt it. 

It's ALWAYS been about making an MMO that continuously makes you want to come back.

I think WotLK peaked it for me over TBC, but I'm with you on the same thoughts, people scream clone as if it's a thing they don't want, and in the end the innovation the publishers used to try and get away from it was to naught.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Exactly. Something doesn't have to be groundbreaking to be fun. It does help that the new one is better looking than the old one.. this is the case with FFXIV.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

Hmmm.

I guess the answer is: What if I am not looking for anything new?  What if I am looking for a certain theme and refinement.

I like Final Fantasy.  I know they screwed up 1.0 but I hear FFXI was pretty good.  I am curious and I enjoyed what I played for the beta.  I was not looking for anything new.  I was just looking for a Final Fantasy MMO.  :)

Originally posted by Krimzin

Exactly. Something doesn't have to be groundbreaking to be fun. It does help that the new one is better looking than the old one.. this is the case with FFXIV.

Hopefully this will also be the case w/ my next partner....

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

nothing new?? BOY HAVE YOU BEEN MISSING OUT!!

http://www.today.com/id/31118992/ns/today-today_entertainment/t/carradines-death-likely-accidental-cops-say/

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

I think at the end of the day it comes down to managing expectations and delivering quality over half finished innovation. Don't get me wrong I like innovative ideas as much as anyone else but when you talk innovation you also talk risk. 

Aside from properly implementing innovation you also need to make sure that you innovation is actually fun. GW2 is a great example of that. I think it is a very well polished game but their innovation as far as class + combat system just wasn't fun for me. Was it innovative? Sure. Was it is well implemented? Yes. That said if it is not fun - then what is the point (and granted it was not fun just for me). 

Every so often we need a game that 're-caps' all well accepted innovation that were done in the genre and will deliver a clean implementation of those innovations. Last time that game was WoW and it did very well - I don't think that FF will do anything close to that level of success but the core idea and concept behind it is rock solid. 

My point being is - there are plenty of us out there who still enjoy old system of game play. You don't have to re-invent the world to get my dollar - you just have to make your world fun for me to play.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

That's enough.

BadSpock is right, the world looks alive and amazing. Sure, Square-Enix isn't spouting innovation. I really don't care. All the innovation every other MMO has released recently are just gimmicks anyways.

Exactly. I'm tired of games based on gimmicks instead of based on a solid core of gameplay.

Games based on gimmicks fail. Games based on a solid core of gameplay tend to succeed.

This. I wasn t OMG at all for FFXIV after my first beta experience. Then the nest beta, I really dove into the game, and see why people are excited. This game may not have anything revolutionary, but what they do , they do really, really, well. It has some old school feel, and it s the first MMO in years, I actually care to have a guild, outside of the typical chat channel.

• oilthuoilthu Member UncommonPosts: 42

I have been wondering for years why games get easier, less challenging, dumbed down and more simplistic with each iteration and i have a hard time imagining why..... that is until i come across threads like this praising a game in which it is impossible to come even close to dying and i realise no one wants to be challenged any more - all the majority of gamers want nowadays is pretty graphics and some way to improve a character that doesnt need improving as it can faceroll every piece of content in game.

I tried to love FF, i have played every one ever released but when i can run around naked, except for the req'd weapon from 1 - 50 and faceroll everything i have to ask what the appeal is to the masses of fans this game seems to have. So good luck with your press 1, 2, 3 to win game and enjoy it - and thanks for ruining rpgs, mmo's and games in general for those of us that actually liked having a challenge once in a while.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by oilthu

I have been wondering for years why games get easier, less challenging, dumbed down and more simplistic with each iteration and i have a hard time imagining why..... that is until i come across threads like this praising a game in which it is impossible to come even close to dying and i realise no one wants to be challenged any more - all the majority of gamers want nowadays is pretty graphics and some way to improve a character that doesnt need improving as it can faceroll every piece of content in game.

I tried to love FF, i have played every one ever released but when i can run around naked, except for the req'd weapon from 1 - 50 and faceroll everything i have to ask what the appeal is to the masses of fans this game seems to have. So good luck with your press 1, 2, 3 to win game and enjoy it - and thanks for ruining rpgs, mmo's and games in general for those of us that actually liked having a challenge once in a while.

How did you get to 50?

How did you get to 50?

Lol, I was going to say that, but then thought, why feed the obvious, uninformed,  hasn t really played the game, troll. There are hard parts in this game without a doubt, so really not listening to that.

How did you get to 50?

by pressing 1, 2, 3 over and over while reading a book and watching a movie, oh wait i see what you did there :-/

some people, incl;uding myself have been in beta for ages - trying to get them to realise they're creating yet more faceroll BS but thats apparently what they were trying to create so *golf clap* mr yoshi!

A quick example would be, roll a level one char thats starts in say ul'dah and run them to gridnia - across the world through zones which have monsters all the way to max level, this should be nigh on impossible in most themeparks and damn hard in any other style (eq - qeynos to freeport etc), however its actually damn easy and if its easy at level 1 remember that those zones are the same zones your going to be quest hub grinding in until max level therefore if you cant die at level 1 how the heck are you going to be challenged at the appropriate level?

• Evil_MoDoEvil_MoDo Member Posts: 72

Posted this in another thread, will post it here too.

IMO this game deserves to be giving a shot out of respect that the devs actually had the balls to revamp the game (don't we all wish blizzard did this with D3?). Also, after playing the beta and seeing how crazy polished it was gave SE another +1. I also tend to like MMOs more when they have a decent story line. No doubt about it, this game won't bring in millions of players, but I am sure it will have a decent amount of players and a good community once all the haters are gone after a month.

A game does not need to innovate to be good or else Wii U would be king of the console war. We have seen innovation in MMOs turn into pure gimmics or just not that great after you seen it 100s of times(rifts, GW2 hearts,Defiance). 

A quick example would be, roll a level one char thats starts in say ul'dah and run them to gridnia - across the world through zones which have monsters all the way to max level, this should be nigh on impossible in most themeparks and damn hard in any other style (eq - qeynos to freeport etc), however its actually damn easy and if its easy at level 1 remember that those zones are the same zones your going to be quest hub grinding in until max level therefore if you cant die at level 1 how the heck are you going to be challenged at the appropriate level?

Don't you need to run from one city to another if you wish to learn additional classes? Or can you just teleport?

If you can't teleport then doesn't the game need to allow you to run from one city to another early on?

The danger occurs when you leave the road???

Don't you need to run from one city to another if you wish to learn additional classes? Or can you just teleport?

If you can't teleport then doesn't the game need to allow you to run from one city to another early on?

Nope, Airships become available quite early on and provide transport to other cities so you can access other classes.

Btw, I am not trolling and will simply ignore trollish comments about me having not played etc... i am simply expressing my opinion and disappointment about a game that was looking v promising just after xmas and had at that point in time a decent degree of challenge.

One last comment even though i said i would ignore the troll posts - I find it funny when someone posts there are hard parts in the game, then trolls me about there being a level cap being in place, so they havent seen these mythical hard parts and are basing these assertions from nothing other than fanaticism.

Nope, Airships become available quite early on and provide transport to other cities so you can access other classes.

Btw, I am not trolling and will simply ignore trollish comments about me having not played etc... i am simply expressing my opinion and disappointment about a game that was looking v promising just after xmas and had at that point in time a decent degree of challenge.

One last comment even though i said i would ignore the troll posts - I find it funny when someone posts there are hard parts in the game, then trolls me about there being a level cap being in place, so they havent seen these mythical hard parts and are basing these assertions from nothing other than fanaticism.

On the last comment. Dead wrong, all you need to do is re read it. Or I ll say it again. There are hard parts to the game, didn t mention level.

Originally posted by Soki123

On the last comment. Dead wrong, all you need to do is re read it. Or I ll say it again. There are hard parts to the game, didn t mention level.

Then please provide examples from any level so this remains a discussion and doesnt descend into flaming, players who are currently sat on the fence and are still deciding whether to fork out hard earn't money on this game may be interested in your comments.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Nihilist

I am a little suprised that people are in love with yet another wow clone themepark...A clone with far fewer skills and character builds, and an ancient combat engine.

I far prefer hotbar combat to the twitch combat quite a few mmo's of late have been coming out with, such as TERA. Actually, hotbar combat was never a bad design in the first place.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    The only thing I'll say here is,that if you're saying it does thing's comparable to sandboxes,guess what,it's not new!

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• NeutorNeutor Member Posts: 101

LMFAO...this nails it...some times the same 'ole same 'ole is just GOOD

I'm actually kinda tired of all the twitch based FPS gameplay that has come to mmoRPG's lately...notice how I capitalized RPG?

FFXIV has a very nice feel to it, one I personally haven't felt since the first time I rolled a Warlock in vanilla WoW and I love it.

Join us dtguilds.com