Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mounts confirmed, what would you like to see from them?

Comments

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by Mardy
    Originally posted by Stiler

So what would you like to see from mounts in EQN?

I would like to see mounts not become such a station cash exclusive item that they are in EQ1 and EQ2 currently.  In WoW I used to collect mounts, I'd spend hours upon hours doing quests just to obtain mounts ingame.  But SOE with their F2P & Station Cash push, they've stripped mounts from game content and made them so majority of the mounts you would have to buy with $$$.

That's what I would like to see... mounts to be available ingame via quests and time spent playing the game, not just something exclusive to those with deep pockets.  But I know it won't, it's SOE, and looking at EQ1 & EQ2 you know just how it's gonna be in EQN.

Two things 

1. Anything put out yesterday is exlusively for Landmark.  They have not announced mounts for EQN.

2. EQ2 still has in-game mounts inlcuding mounts that are nearly as fast as the Cash-Shop mounts.  You just need a crap ton of guild faction and Plat to buy them.  The point of the cash shop is not be allow a player an advantage but only to add variety to the game. 

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    Originally posted by Kyllien

2. EQ2 still has in-game mounts inlcuding mounts that are nearly as fast as the Cash-Shop mounts.  You just need a crap ton of guild faction and Plat to buy them.  The point of the cash shop is not be allow a player an advantage but only to add variety to the game. 

You've been drinking the SOE coolaid my friend.  Ever since station cash, less and less mounts were put in the game to allow players to obtain, more and more mounts were put on the cash shops.  This is the case for both EQ1 and EQ2, especially EQ1.  That's a fact.  So I'm just saying, it's not about variety, that's the line they sell to you like door to door salesmen.  It's about them stripping content out of expansions and such, and place them on cash shops to sell them to you, even though you are STILL paying the same premium monthly subscription and you are still paying for yearly expansions.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

Can not go wrong with a lizard.

Lizard Mount

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Chimeras, tiger-like creatures, armored elephants/rhinos and big leathery wings with electricity effects.

imageimage

More seriously, I hope there won't be any flying mounts. Those ruin worlds.

I agree.

edit: Then again who knows how it would influence this kind of layered world.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

I hope for the leapers and gliders mounts of eq 2, much more fun than both normal ones and flying mounts. A skill to tame wild mounts or raise them - could be a nice thing to do beside combat. Unlike a previous poster I don't think combat is the only thing that counts in a mmo, while combat is important a mmo also needs a lot of other things to do beside it, like mini games, housing, crafting.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by soulmirror
    No mounts, no fighting on mounts and positively NO flyng mounts. Why?  Because it takes away from game play and  community.  No I am not looking through rose colored glasses, the lack of automatic travel made for a tighter community and in moving from place to place, non-auto,  we actually found things that were of the beaten track.  Have 2 classes with a group teleport mechanic and everything will be just fine.  If mounts make it into the game, then restrict them to the highest levels.

Well, in your opinion, it has taken away from gameplay and community in the past, but imo that indicates devs were doing it wrong. If corrected mounts, could be integral to the gameplay - even add to the game play and community. 

The previous games mostly were non-flying mount designed, and then they added them to a world not designed for them. So as another poster put it, they become a speed buff with a graphic.

Integrated correctly into the game, mounts could actually build community. Just think about it - mounted combat, which would be different than unmounted combat, along with a variety of horse breeds - imagine a 'horse trader' profession which would then become essential to a player driven economy.

I know this may surprise you, but the way it has been done in the past, is not necessarily the only way to do it.

Chimeras, tiger-like creatures, armored elephants/rhinos and big leathery wings with electricity effects.

imageimage

No wonder I always hated Anne McCaffrey.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak

imageimage

I agree.

edit: Then again who knows how it would influence this kind of layered world.

How do they ruin worlds? Some of the most fun i had in an mmo was using flying mounts in Vanguard.

• ZydariZydari Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I think I'll just wait and see on this one. I'll worry about what mounts are in the game when we have some real info about it. Too much speculation leads to disappointment.

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by Zorgo

imageimage

Let's not compare books with MMORPGs. Not to mention that in Dragonriders of Pern, only a selected few had a dragon to fly on, the majority, peasants, crafters and even keep lords didn't have one. You can't do that in a game, people would all play the characters which can fly.

Result: a dead world where everybody flies above.

I rather have my MMOs full of players you can actually meet, instead of "World of Air Taxi" where people only land at quest locations.

Or.....the game can be built around this and do things differently?

Have special "cities in the sky" that takes an air mount to get to, have gameplay elements built around mounts, vertical gameplay made to give reasons to have interaction?

If they have mounted combat, if mounts can be damaged and killed, this can lead to a LOT more social interaction, you can have people that tame the mounts in the wild, have an entire part of the economy built around mounts.

As long as you have reasons for people to you know, be on the ground, they will go there. Dungeons to explore, PVP with keeps/lands to fight over (with a reason to want to fight over it), rare resources for crafters, etc.

Personally I'd love to have a Pegasus type of mount for flying, rather then your usual "Dragon" or bird-like flying mount.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         I think flying mounts are in...... Didn't we see a concept picture showing tier 2 floating landmass in the sky?  I'm sure we aren't getting super jump boots for that content.. And speaking of that.. Since everything is destructible, can we destroy parts of that floating landmass only to fall to our deaths seconds later? lol
  • donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    They should make mounts a pain in the ass (pun intended) to maintain. They should never store away in your pack. Mounts should be given AI as well and have likes and dislikes. Make mounts permanent models that have character, hps, and abilities. Don't make them into graphically impressive speed boosts.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

So the new info we got from Gamescon was that Mounts would be in the game.

So now that they are confirmed.what would you like to see out of mounts?

Personally, I REALLY REALLY hope we don't get another mmo where mounts are treated as just a "speed buff" with a graphic.  Mounts should feel/play like.....well mounts. Horses should have at least 4 different "Gaits" for speeds, from walk to trot, canter, gallop, with different breeds that give various adantages/disadvantages.

**snipped for length**

I agree on the feel of the mounts.

I'd also like to see mounts treated like an in-game NPC, instead of a capsule car. It would be nice to have something like Red Dead Redemption, where you have to care / manage your horse. You need to go out and catch one as well. It would be also cool to have horses function as a sort of storage. Adding to the dynamic of taking your horse with you on your journey, but be careful not to leave him in a bad spot. Furthermore, they could help you carry back loot if you find a bunch on your trip.

This would also open the door to things like carts & wagons, capable of transporting multiple people & goods.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself, though, so we'll see.

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by aesperus

So the new info we got from Gamescon was that Mounts would be in the game.

So now that they are confirmed.what would you like to see out of mounts?

Personally, I REALLY REALLY hope we don't get another mmo where mounts are treated as just a "speed buff" with a graphic.  Mounts should feel/play like.....well mounts. Horses should have at least 4 different "Gaits" for speeds, from walk to trot, canter, gallop, with different breeds that give various adantages/disadvantages.

**snipped for length**

I agree on the feel of the mounts.

I'd also like to see mounts treated like an in-game NPC, instead of a capsule car. It would be nice to have something like Red Dead Redemption, where you have to care / manage your horse. You need to go out and catch one as well. It would be also cool to have horses function as a sort of storage. Adding to the dynamic of taking your horse with you on your journey, but be careful not to leave him in a bad spot. Furthermore, they could help you carry back loot if you find a bunch on your trip.

This would also open the door to things like carts & wagons, capable of transporting multiple people & goods.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself, though, so we'll see.

Yea this is one of the things I got excited about with Camelot Unchained.

If there is PVP on an open-world scale (and it goes by factions or something) I'd love to see them make ample use of the need for resources and relying on carts/wagons to haul goods aorund.

Where you would be able to find resources naturally, in a mine or other area, and as a gatherer you'd have to mine the ore an dthen put it in your wagon and have to send it back to town or your house from there.

Hoewver wagons would naturally be vunerable and a ripe target for people to try to stop and take the resources for themselves. So you would need to have your friends and others help the goods get back to town.

If you play TF2, something like their cart mode (Where you have to protect the cat while the enemy is trying to destroy it).

This would create a lot of emergent gameplay mechanics and imo make it exciting. Though it is pvp and I understan dnot everyone wants to do it.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    I want to see weight restricted inventory and with that a pack mule as a pre request for any serious gatherer/miner. I want to see carriages for transportation.. and even more i want taming and breeding for any mount. I want to see horse stables, and i don't want to see a mount in the inventory. Pls give me UO2.0.
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Apraxis
    I want to see weight restricted inventory and with that a pack mule as a pre request for any serious gatherer/miner. I want to see carriages for transportation.. and even more i want taming and breeding for any mount. I want to see horse stables, and i don't want to see a mount in the inventory. Pls give me UO2.0.

UO 2.0 is more likely to be HERE (watch the new gameplay video).

You can never have enough UO2.0s.. so i am well aware of Shroud of the Avatar.. but nevertheless there is no reason that EQN can not borrow a few elements from UO, too. As they are already doing it. And if you ask me.. they can borrow from SWG a lot of stuff, too.

Hurray to the new era of sandboxes and UO clones. ;)

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Apraxis

Now that would be great.. and I agree.. I would like to see weight allowance be an issue again as it was in original EQ.. If you need more space for mats and items put it on a mule or horse..  And this perfectly ties into the emergent AI that SOE keeps ranting about..  Orcs want to rob people.. FINE.. Rob and attack the players and if you just might lose your inventory on the mule.. 

Originally posted by Zorgo

imageimage

Let's not compare books with MMORPGs. Not to mention that in Dragonriders of Pern, only a selected few had a dragon to fly on, the majority, peasants, crafters and even keep lords didn't have one. You can't do that in a game, people would all play the characters which can fly.

Result: a dead world where everybody flies above.

I rather have my MMOs full of players you can actually meet, instead of "World of Air Taxi" where people only land at quest locations.

I was just trying to be funny......

But since you mentioned it......I didn't mind flying mounts at first in WoW or VG because they were prohibitive to obtain. If you saw someone with one, only at first - they were 'uber'. 

I think it was to speak to the spirit of things like Pern where a flying mount would mean you were something above the fray.

Not to detract from building the world and the content around mounts in such a way that they were integral to the community rather than the after thought they have been - which as we both agree can take away as much if not more from the game than it gives.

• boobotboobot Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by soulmirror
    No mounts, no fighting on mounts and positively NO flyng mounts. Why?  Because it takes away from game play and  community.  No I am not looking through rose colored glasses, the lack of automatic travel made for a tighter community and in moving from place to place, non-auto,  we actually found things that were of the beaten track.  Have 2 classes with a group teleport mechanic and everything will be just fine.  If mounts make it into the game, then restrict them to the highest levels.

I agree with no fighting or flying mounts. But I would personally like regular mounts. I couldn't stand GW2 because of the mountless/teleportation travel. It took away from any expansiveness the game had (and it lacked already!).

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

I would like to see mounts to serve more of a purpose other than summoned to run from point A to B.

Be nice if mmo mounts were more like Oblivion, or Skyrim with the added utility of mobile storage from saddle packs. I know it probably wont happen because it would cause too many milling npc mounts but it be nice if it werent simply a spell or item to spawn and despawn our mounts instantly...that is unless the mount is magic by nature (ethereal type mounts, elementals, etc.)

If they add flying mounts I think they should have a limited amount of flight time to reach a height and then glide down before having to land and run...then repeat.

• Jagsman32Jagsman32 Member Posts: 109

Taming please!

Playing as a CH/BE in SWG was so much fun, specifically the taming portion (genetic engineering was fun too though). I loved being able to go out into the wilderness and tame bantha's or whatever and making them rideable. Even Ultima Online it was awesome trying to tame the Nightmare without being killed by a flamestrike. Once you had a Nightmare, you not only had an awesome mount but a great DPS pet.

A druid-type class would be great for this. You could allow him to tame pets that he could use in combat, or he could tame mounts/low-level pets that could be transfered to other players for their use. This opens up a whole new economy, especially if you can breed them.

Dave, pls.

Pls implement this.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

Or.....the game can be built around this and do things differently?

Have special "cities in the sky" that takes an air mount to get to, have gameplay elements built around mounts, vertical gameplay made to give reasons to have interaction?

If they have mounted combat, if mounts can be damaged and killed, this can lead to a LOT more social interaction, you can have people that tame the mounts in the wild, have an entire part of the economy built around mounts.

As long as you have reasons for people to you know, be on the ground, they will go there. Dungeons to explore, PVP with keeps/lands to fight over (with a reason to want to fight over it), rare resources for crafters, etc.

Personally I'd love to have a Pegasus type of mount for flying, rather then your usual "Dragon" or bird-like flying mount.

I like the way you think...

Makes me want to have flying mounts even more.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Wait till you see my ideas around items of power and the profit potential around them.

I find your ideas intriguing and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter ...

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JedidiahTheadoreJedidiahTheadore Member Posts: 48
    I know it will never happen but I would like to see mounts be persistent in the world instead of being summoned out of the aether.

You would have to pay to have them stabled and tie them up when not using them else they might run off.

Of course everyone else's mounts could be phased when not in use so each player only see their own mount in the world and there aren't a thousand mounts standing around Freeport slowing everyone's computers down.
  • joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171

Who knows maybe  animal taming or breeding will be a class in EQN  making pets and mounts  something more than for show and faster travel.

I like to see all kinds of mounts just please avoid the crazy ones like gaint chickens