Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Large Updates?

What is a large update on a console game?  In MMOs, such as WoW, those updates can be quite large, several gigabyes in since.  This can take hours to download and install, assuming there are no hiccups. 

How will this work on console?  Are console players willing to sacrifice huge allotments amounts on a regular basis?

Could this mean there won't be no large updates?

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Last time I checked, consoles are hooked up to the same internet PCs are. They already sell digital downloads of games - some a 20 Gig + DL.

I bought The Last of Us that way on the PS3 - just start the DL and do something else for a while...unless it can be a background DL in which case you can just keep using the console while it DLs. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276

I realize it is the same internet connection.  I just have this perception of Console players, and patience isn't one of the virtues I see a great deal of.  I had roommates in college with consoles, and every single one of them never played a console game for more than like 30 minutes before switching to a new game.

This obviously isn't a large sample size of course, and my perception could be wrong.

Originally posted by jesusjuice69
    I realize it is the same internet connection.  I just have this perception of Console players, and patience isn't one of the virtues I see a great deal of.  I had roommates in college with consoles, and every single one of them never played a console game for more than like 30 minutes before switching to a new game.

I know what you mean but I'm guessing that background downloading won't be as rare as it is in the current consoles with the next gen.

Currently a lot of stuff can't be background downloaded for no apparent reason.

The Last of Us even did what has become popular in MMO downloads recently: after about 60% of the DL was done, you could start playing it...it was nice to see that because it was a humongous DL. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    I played FFXI on the PS2, Xbox 360 and PC and sat through all of the huge updates without question.  If somebody wants to play an MMO on a console they're just gong to have to 'deal' with it.
  • ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by Iselin

Last time I checked, consoles are hooked up to the same internet PCs are. They already sell digital downloads of games - some a 20 Gig + DL.

I bought The Last of Us that way on the PS3 - just start the DL and do something else for a while...unless it can be a background DL in which case you can just keep using the console while it DLs. 

Uncharted 3 was 50GB+.......

Also both Skyrim and BF3 both dared to do patches over 3GB on a couple of occasions only downside will be no minimizing patches on PS3, PS4 has however been confirmed to allow this.

Originally posted by Shauneepeak
    Originally posted by Iselin

Uncharted 3 was 50GB+.......

Also both Skyrim and BF3 both dared to do patches over 3GB on a couple of occasions only downside will be no minimizing patches on PS3, PS4 has however been confirmed to allow this.

Awesome. I thought that would be the case but wasn't sure.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED