Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is boycotting because of subscription + cash shop on top of a box purchase?

BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

Remember when subscription fees meant everything was in game and there were cash shop money grabs? Remember when the first free to play game came out that was supported not by a subscription, but cash shop items? Cash shop items are supposed to be an alternate to the subscription model, but now they're going for the full money grab? What is this, Korea? It was stupid enough when world of warcraft did it, and people still defended the game and their money grab.

I was interested in the game, but on principle - will not buy it if they're going to do this. I play MMO's so I can work my way up to the cool looking stuffs. But if they're going to take the cool looking items out of the game and make me pay like $7 bucks for a "Fun" item, yeah not going to happen. I was just wondering how many people are giving this game a pass due to this.

Comments

• St_konkerSt_konker Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Do we know what is going to be in the cash shop or will it be a cash shop like....I dunno lets say WoW, where there are extra items and services you can only get if you pay cash.
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

I reserve my principles for boycotting companies who take advantage of people, animals, maybe even the environment. thinks that actually matter.

This is a game...games are chewing gum. Play it, have fun, spit it out, find a new piece.

I admire your conviction...there are a few organizations that could make good use of your zeal...forgive me if I just cannot get behind this one.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Remember when paying monthly for cable TV meant that you got to not have commercials on cable channels, hence the monthly fee to keep it ad free?

Yeah.

• nephren25nephren25 Member UncommonPosts: 143

I understand how ya feel but i just dont give a shit about this game anymore combat looks boring. but yea it is dumb to add a cash shop on top of sub just sounds like they are greedy imo

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

I am boycotting because the game looks bad.

Customers will always pay what a product is worth. Sometimes more.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The problem is that too many dumb gamers actually pay for all this without even knowing if the game is any good or not...... If we didn't pay then they wouldn't charge......I've already read several posts saying that people will pay for this that know nothing about it....That right there tells you what the problem is......
  • XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Betakodo

Remember when subscription fees meant everything was in game and there were cash shop money grabs? Remember when the first free to play game came out that was supported not by a subscription, but cash shop items? Cash shop items are supposed to be an alternate to the subscription model, but now they're going for the full money grab? What is this, Korea? It was stupid enough when world of warcraft did it, and people still defended the game and their money grab.

I was interested in the game, but on principle - will not buy it if they're going to do this. I play MMO's so I can work my way up to the cool looking stuffs. But if they're going to take the cool looking items out of the game and make me pay like $7 bucks for a "Fun" item, yeah not going to happen. I was just wondering how many people are giving this game a pass due to this.

so what are you hoping for this thread? 20 people say they are boycotting? drop in the bucket.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    I can't see paying a subscription for a single player game.   Unless they revert this, then I will probably just go with private server route, and play for free.
  • trikkitrikki Member Posts: 58
    I couldn't care less about eso.But the topic is interesting.I have said this before.I'll said it again.Everything they do should be included in the monthly fee,that isn't a part of an expansion pack.Might as well sell patches too.Yes im boycotting.Wow in game store.Im done .My long wow "career" is now over.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

This is the new norm. And one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of subscription models anymore. The idea behind a subscription is that you're paying for servers, and to help maintain the game. However, subs have basically just become another cash grab, that people are somewhat okay with for some reason.

The reason many of these games are including cash shops now, is because subscriptions arent as profitable as people think. They used to be, the pinacle being WoW. However, there so many games coming out now that subs don't get sustained long enough for them to do much good. Furthermore they make it less likely that people will come back to your game (because it creates a financial barrier), and many people either don't wanna deal with the hastle, or can't justify paying for multiple subscriptions each month.

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    Shut up.  Don't buy the game.
    I like to complain about games.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

There's a couple of key designs with ESO that concern me, but the payment model isn't one of them.

If it's a good fun game, I'll play it no matter how it's funding model is designed.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Kyleran

There's a couple of key designs with ESO that concern me, but the payment model isn't one of them.

If it's a good fun game, I'll play it no matter how it's funding model is designed.

^That^

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by Ridrith

Oh man, did I somehow make you mad? You should have read the thread though, I'm boycotting the game. Meaning I'm not buying the game.

Anywho, I just made the thread to gauge how sick people were of adding a cash shop to a sub game is while it is still rare in the US. So far it seems like only WoW and Aion tried it along with ESO. Just was hoping that if they got enough flack they would pull back from the money grab, if not I have other games to play.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Ridrith

Oh man, did I somehow make you mad? You should have read the thread though, I'm boycotting the game. Meaning I'm not buying the game.

Anywho, I just made the thread to gauge how sick people were of adding a cash shop to a sub game is while it is still rare in the US. So far it seems like only WoW and Aion tried it along with ESO. Just was hoping that if they got enough flack they would pull back from the money grab, if not I have other games to play.

Google is your friend... L2research... All AAA sub MMOs have an out-of-game cash shop to sell you crap...name changes, server changes, T-shirts, mugs, soundtracks, etc. if this one is in-game, that would be different...and annoying... but we don't know sweet F all about what they will be selling here (other than name changes) or if it's just the same old link-off-website crap they all have.

Hey, but don't let lack of info and misinformation keep you from melodrama and boycotts...power to the people, baby!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

This thread is pretty pointless.  People may not want to play the game for how it looks, gameplay, because it's not "True ES" or whatever.

But since there is a sub part of the game, we can ASSUME that the cash shop will involve the same thing as WoWs.  Name changes, race changes, etc.  Putting in armor and the like would destroy the game and I think they know this.

This is just people seeing the words "cash shop" and exploding without even taking two seconds to read about it.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    I'm certainly not boycotting. I'm still excited about the game and will surely play it when it goes F2P/B2P a few months after release.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    I'm certainly not boycotting. I'm still excited about the game and will surely play it when it goes F2P/B2P a few months after release.

See you in 2016! (e.g. it took Rift 2 years to get there...you think this will be worse than Rift? lol)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by jesusjuice69
    I can't see paying a subscription for a single player game.   Unless they revert this, then I will probably just go with private server route, and play for free.

so I guess you wont be playing Wildstar since the majority of the players will play that solo like just about every other MMO.

There Is Always Hope!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by jesusjuice69

so I guess you wont be playing Wildstar since the majority of the players will play that solo like just about every other MMO.

"6.) Solo players absolutely have a place throughout, even with the game's Raid and Group content focus." Heh, from the Wildstar GC wrap up.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I was not terribly excited about this game because it sounded like just another ThemePark but once I heard it would be sub-based, I do admit it got me more interested. But then I heard it will have a cash shop, as well, and my interest plummeted so no, I will not be playing this game.
  • healboothealboot Member UncommonPosts: 103
    I'm pretty sure the cash strapped free playing crowed will be avoiding this one. But the people with money will probably love this set up I know I will. Take your childish boycott  too another game and better luck next time
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Yamota
    I was not terribly excited about this game because it sounded like just another ThemePark but once I heard it would be sub-based, I do admit it got me more interested. But then I heard it will have a cash shop, as well, and my interest plummeted so no, I will not be playing this game.

yea right LOL, whatever. You'll be playing just like the rest of us. Who you kidding.

There Is Always Hope!

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Boycott?  Sure, I won't get it if the cash shop is like a f2p game...

Cosmetic cash shop?  Then no, I may not get it if I don't like the game, but I wouldn't boycott over something having a great feature like p2p.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by St_konker
    Do we know what is going to be in the cash shop or will it be a cash shop like....I dunno lets say WoW, where there are extra items and services you can only get if you pay cash.

They already said the cash shop will sell "trinkets (fun stuff)", and account services.
    Account services (like server transfers and race / name / faction change) are fine. What is not OK is "trinkets (fun stuff)".

This discussion has been closed.