Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Action based combat withouth fps targetting?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Somehow i allways asumed thatwildstar would have fps style targetting...  

Just found out it does not have it. 

It actually surprised me.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Yeah... its a very iffy thing to me hearing that. I feel it really aids in both the skill as well as control with the game.  Its not exactly the most accurate and can be a bit 'wonky' to say the least. Games that have gone without the FPS targetting just over-all seemed to suffer. The Secret World just feeling a bit 'off' with its controls and Guildwars 2 is quite horrible at times with it to the point of being very cringe worthy for it. Both games probably would of gotten a large benefit out of using it. 

Then again, neverwinter didn't really have fps aiming as much as a rather 'odd' targetting system then worked.... sorta... kinda?  *Shrug* I don't know, really in the end I guess its about waiting and seeing what they do. Just because many of the current examples out there are iffy to being bad, it doesn't mean it can't manage to do it right.

• ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222

I just cant see a spellslinger or that riffle class ever go to fps mode , just cant. IMO this isnt ESO where the combat isn't heavily relied on the quick reflexive movement , roling out of red AOE, positioning yourself to align that stun AOE shots onto mobs.

I dont see how fps mode could do that, for the very least give it 3rd person mode like the gunner in PSO2.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by ipeka

I just cant see a spellslinger or that riffle class ever go to fps mode , just cant. IMO this isnt ESO where the combat isn't heavily relied on the quick reflexive movement , roling out of red AOE, positioning yourself to align that stun AOE shots onto mobs.

I dont see how fps mode could do that, for the very least give it 3rd person mode like the gunner in PSO2.

Keep in mind that ESO will also have telegrahing, as some other games allready do...  The pace would be different for a fps targetting game and require more from the players, but i dont see why it would not be possible...

keep in mind, i am not trying to change this game, as atleast these developers are trying to make their own game. I was just allways expecting fps targetting ..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    What exactly do you mean by "no fps targeting"? Afaik skills will shoot the direction you are facing(as in fps games, right?). Im confuse.
    Originally posted by Xarko
    What exactly do you mean by "no fps targeting"? Afaik skills will shoot the direction you are facing(as in fps games, right?). Im confuse.

No they will not, its tab targetting... Or better, mouse click targetting

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Somehow i allways asumed thatwildstar would have fps style targetting...  

Just found out it does not have it. 

It actually surprised me.

It is FPS targeting, except you are using flamethrowers and grenades instead of guns.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

related from July 2013

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/11/wildstars-newest-video-takes-aim-at-well-aiming/

If you're not much good at aiming, the game does have systems in place to help. Some of those systems may or may not be in the final build, but the team is definitely aware that not everyone is good at twitch gaming.

One of the major features in the current build is an option to automatically face your target when you activate an aiming ability.

At first players have tended to use the option, but with more experience most prefer to turn it off and allow more freeform aiming.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

The combat to me seems pretty much like GW2.

It's semi action combat with auto aim skills apart of some targeted aoe skills.

Originally posted by Nadia

related from July 2013

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/11/wildstars-newest-video-takes-aim-at-well-aiming/

If you're not much good at aiming, the game does have systems in place to help. Some of those systems may or may not be in the final build, but the team is definitely aware that not everyone is good at twitch gaming.

One of the major features in the current build is an option to automatically face your target when you activate an aiming ability.

At first players have tended to use the option, but with more experience most prefer to turn it off and allow more freeform aiming.

So there is fps targetiing, and others, but even after this video i am not really sure how it will work out in real time..

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215

I don't know if I was surprised but I was hoping it to be a little less actiony. Personally I like combat that anyone, including slow players can engage in easily but where there's still enough room for more agile players to shine. I also like choice-making, math and long cooldowns in combat, that kind of stuff.

Above is the reason I personally prefer tab targeting.

What Wildstar seems to me would be a tab targeting/action hybrid. I don't personally like the big amounts of AoE abilities or all the movement (such as the huge jumps, movement is fine as long as it isn't over the top). So really I'm not looking forward to the game's combat, but I don't think it looks bad enough for me not to play the game for the good content it apparently is going to offer.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by Nadia

related from July 2013

So there is fps targetiing, and others, but even after this video i am not really sure how it will work out in real time..

ever played SMITE ?

• rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Xarko

No they will not, its tab targetting... Or better, mouse click targetting

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/check_out_wildstars_latest_devspeak_aiming.php

explains well

edit: its the aiming one :)

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    what? I played a spellslinger at gamescom you do aim with your skills.. kinda hard to miss tho.Some skills have a huge area while others like True shot you really gotta aim.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• shadylurkershadylurker Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by Punk999
    what? I played a spellslinger at gamescom you do aim with your skills.. kinda hard to miss tho.Some skills have a huge area while others like True shot you really gotta aim.

I thought the way it worked was horrible.  It feels like it needs that mouse locked semi targeting aiming, like Neverwinter.  It is absolutely an abortion at the moment, and a major turn off to the game.  

Argue what you want, It needs mouse lock and a reticule at the minimum, the way it is now is like combining combat like TERA's with the movement system and targeting of a game like WOW.  It works against its self, and feels totally un natural / clunky as a mo fo.  There is no auto shoot, so your holding down a mouse button (to move your view) and spamming your skill bars while using wasd  to try and position your self so your Cone of fire or what ever skill you're using doesn't miss.  It's an absolute cluster F---, and the #1 reason I wont purchase the game.

Think about it this way,  Think of any action combat game like diablo,  give yourself the camera controls and mouse use of WOW, and the hotbar of GW1, now imagine having to walk up to every skeleton and press 1 or 2 (your basic attacks) for every single attack, but make sure you have the right skeleton tab (or mouse) targeted so as to hit the ones that are closest together and fit in your swing range. Oh yea don't forget to spam dodge in the direction you want to go...

It's just a joke as it sits now, and a serious dissapointment.

• jimprounerjimprouner Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by shadylurker

I thought the way it worked was horrible.  It feels like it needs that mouse locked semi targeting aiming, like Neverwinter.  It is absolutely an abortion at the moment, and a major turn off to the game.  

Argue what you want, It needs mouse lock and a reticule at the minimum, the way it is now is like combining combat like TERA's with the movement system and targeting of a game like WOW.  It works against its self, and feels totally un natural / clunky as a mo fo.  There is no auto shoot, so your holding down a mouse button (to move your view) and spamming your skill bars while using wasd  to try and position your self so your Cone of fire or what ever skill you're using doesn't miss.  It's an absolute cluster F---, and the #1 reason I wont purchase the game.

Think about it this way,  Think of any action combat game like diablo,  give yourself the camera controls and mouse use of WOW, and the hotbar of GW1, now imagine having to walk up to every skeleton and press 1 or 2 (your basic attacks) for every single attack, but make sure you have the right skeleton tab (or mouse) targeted so as to hit the ones that are closest together and fit in your swing range. Oh yea don't forget to spam dodge in the direction you want to go...

TLDR:

I am bad at video games, and afraid of change.

They will likely enable you to lock your camera to move as an option, or do it by default.  The game won't be out for at least 6 months!

• shadylurkershadylurker Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by jimprouner
    Originally posted by shadylurker

TLDR:

I am bad at video games, and afraid of change.

They will likely enable you to lock your camera to move as an option, or do it by default.  The game won't be out for at least 6 months, I love cock!

I hope so, would be a better game for it.