Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next = Metallica's Black Album

124»

Comments

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

i dont agree with ur comparison, the shit started with Load, Reload IMO.

most likely EQ1 : Metalica

EQN : JB

• DandalusDandalus Member Posts: 13

Smed just released info on the re-release of the "Black Album," but with a SOE EQ twist to it. Track listing to follow:

1.  Enter Sand Giant

2.  Sad But True (what WoW's success did to Norrath)

3.  Holier than Brell

4.  The Unforgiven (a tribute to making Everquest soloable)

5.  Wherever I May Roam (a shout out to all my Ro homies)

6.  Don't KS Me

7.  Through the Overthere

8.  Nothing Else Matters (a tribute to raiding)

9.  Of Sow and Man

10.The God that Failed (to drop my epic piece)

11.My Fabled Miserable Bauble

12.The Struggle Within (a tribute to SOE cash shops)

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    OP are you saying EQN is going to make tons of money, bring in new fans, and be critically acclaimed?

Could be also SOEs last good EQ game they make.
  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Victor_Kruger
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

This is quite funny because the black album is the top seller of Metallica's discography...

But hey... forum arguing, "nothing else matters" ;-)

It's a bit like saying that "Stairway to Heaven" was bad for "Led Zeppelin" just because it is popular.

LOL your Zepp analogy is off. Stairway to Heaven is part of the soul that IS Led Zeppelin.

Black for Metallica was them selling their soul for a broader audience. See the difference and the connection to EQN and $OE?

No you wouldn't see it because you're on team EQN.

You're actually making my point without even trying...

No you're comparing the popularity to Zepps Stairway to Metallica's success with Black. Not the same as i pointed out. Unless your only point was that $OE sold out just like Metallica did then yes, i proved your point.

Keep Zepp out of this conversation.

Fans thinking that a band sold out is a matter of opinion, you can can't really prove it. EverQuest's IP is dead in the water and SOE is trying too remake it to be competitive with Blizzard where the market is mostly filled with people who play or have played WoW. Call them sell outs all you want but doing the same thing will not help SOE be successful in today's market where calling a game a mmo has become a bad stigma because of the Titanic(aka SWTOR) sinking below the murky waters of failure.

I call it like i see it.

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Sad but true..
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    Originally posted by Soki123
    I understand the analogy, but I really liked the "Black Album" I like all their stuff actually.

Agreed.

I never understood the big beef over it back in the 90s.  Sure, I could see how it was different, but it was still enjoyable.

We'd be lucky if EQ Next was as comparable to EQ as the black album was to Metallica's previous.  As it stands, I'd say EQ next will be as different from EQ as Metallica is from Creed.

substance-wise, it was way oversimplified and stripped down.  downright repetitious at times.

style-wise, they went from Thrash to semi-thrashy heavy metal.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• SlavakkSlavakk Member Posts: 36
    This has to be one of the most whacked out threads I have ever personally seen!! God... SO MANY LOL's reading It from the beginning!!.. Comparing Metallica Black to EQN!!! I bet the OP is a Musician cause this comparison is brilliant in ways and I about almost spit my coffee all over the screen at that Track List!!!

First of all... We really don't have all the info yet so we can't really say what this game is going to be like.. Hardcore, MMOBA, Hack and Slash Guild wars style?? A combo maybe?? We don't know!!! For all we DO know is SoE is very good at flipping the script on its fanbase... I started playing EQ1 right when RoK dropped.. It was amazing, mind blowing, and I still remember buying my Gforce 3 Ti 500 and rocking the hell out of the later expansions!! I went to EQ2 PvE soon as it dropped I later joined The PvP server when it went live (Naggy 4 life!!).. I never played WoW.. And some of the changes made to the game I thought were great in some aspects in comparison to EQ1.. I felt it was a more polished game than WoW from the start.. BUT... then what happens in an MMO when things are going good!! WELL then comes the Patches.... v

YEP it happens SoE often throws sometimes the most absurd and Infuriating changes. Sometimes it destroys the entire game.. Even though I've never personally played SWG I do have friends that were upset by a certain patch that ruined the game.. Some cases the change DOES need to be made.. But I cant tell you how many times I was like WTF!! after patch day... The Nerfs, The Ninja Nerfs, The Rollbacks, Restrictions, etc.. you name it WE all lived it.. The only thing that we know to be true is SoE is unpredictable.

What I would like to see.... A destructible MMO!! Great Idea!!! Shape the world.. Awesome!! Persistent Ai that is there to hinder your progress!! Even Better!! BUT... I want depth.. What all games pre WoW seem to have but lately in the MMO market most of the Top Rated MMO's Don't have... or they feel lacking or washed down.. But you cant tell me SoE doesn't have some people on these forums looking at what people say. This is one of the better sites for MMO news and the hype rating dropped .3 points after the reveal...

Who knows from what we seen?? It could go both ways and SoE is bidding it time.. And it could all change at launch... as much for the secrecy part we probably won't get to know much until Beta...

But aside form that.. Metallica is great don't get me wrong.. but the Black album was pretty much the end of those days Metal as they were.. I have seen them probably 12 times and the show is always great!! I don't often listen to Metallica.. But when I do.. I prefer In Justice and Back... But I do have to admit that Megadeth were much better song writers IMO.. and technically WAY better than Metallica!! Metallica was like the Metal Pop of their era.. I'd listen to Pantera over Metallica as well.. Dime.. God Rest His Soul.. was one of the best guitarists IMO.. He was one of the most Southern, Gritty, Dirty Metal Riffers there ever was.. But my bands from that Era that were my favs are Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Sacred Reich, GWAR (Love those guys), King Diamond & Mercyful Fate, Manowar, Flotasm & Jetsam, Slayer,  Ministry, Prong,  and a little later down the line Type O Negative.. These bands are always on my Track List...

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    I think comparing Metallica Black to EQN is actually being generous..   If EQ = Metallica, then EQN = Backstreet Boys Millennium..     He He He
  • Univers0Univers0 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I love this comparison.  Black album effectively scrapped the artistic value of Metallica.  It has no aura.  No mysticism.  But it is perfectly produced and ready for  consumption.  EQ1 had an aura, and the aura was that your character's life is hanging by a thread. 
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Dandalus

Smed just released info on the re-release of the "Black Album," but with a SOE EQ twist to it. Track listing to follow:

1.  Enter Sand Giant

2.  Sad But True (what WoW's success did to Norrath)

3.  Holier than Brell

4.  The Unforgiven (a tribute to making Everquest soloable)

5.  Wherever I May Roam (a shout out to all my Ro homies)

6.  Don't KS Me

7.  Through the Overthere

8.  Nothing Else Matters (a tribute to raiding)

9.  Of Sow and Man

10.The God that Failed (to drop my epic piece)

11.My Fabled Miserable Bauble

12.The Struggle Within (a tribute to SOE cash shops)

^^ Awesome! lol #4

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• SintrixSintrix Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Tab target is more hardcore than action combat?  Apparently having to move and aim is easy mode.  Tab target MMOs have seriously made a lot of gamers lazy.  I realize there are a lot of social gamers in the EQ community that don't care to have a skill ceiling at all, but the series already has two games for those type of players. 
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Xerathule

What i'm getting from what I have seen so far is that Everquest Next is going to be ditching a lot of their old loyal fans on this new release in favor of the new crowd.   So for the people that played EQ1 and EQ2 that are looking for the next Everquest, they might be in for a surprise when they see that it isn't going to be hardcore like it was in EQ1.  

I wonder about the depth of the game and the interface that has yet to be revealed because that is very important!  I would love to see the depth of EQ1 in the next game and I have a feeling it isn't going to be.  This game is going to be for a console/PC crowd.  That is real important to see here, because you know want to grab as much of that market as they can too.  

This is all why I am a devoted Paradox Interactive fan!  Europe Universalis IV and Rome 2: Total War will do fine for me.  You won't see Strategy games go the way of the console (at least the good ones) you know that! :)  I think what we are seeing is a transformation of Games to the Console and it is going to try to take the MMO players with it!  This is what is really going on behind all of the sales!

Actually, I completely agree with you.  I agree that the Black Album could be like EQN.  But I don't agree at all on anything else.  The Black Album was arguably their best album and produced a large number of top hits and iconic songs that people still love today.

So if those two things are the same, perhaps was have some great things ahead of us with EQN.  I am surely hoping that it is going to be better than the first two incarnations of the game. 

I have a feeling that you loved their last few albums.  You know, the pile of crap that they have produced while supposedly, completely sober.  Only someone who is a fan of their crappy music could actually dislike one of the best albums in metal history.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    I think comparing Metallica Black to EQN is actually being generous..   If EQ = Metallica, then EQN = Backstreet Boys Millennium..     He He He

I'd take that.  BSB were pretty darn popular at one point, and you can't tell me that their voices were dreamy.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I know tons of "metal-heads", not my scene but whatever. They all think The Black Album is great, what comes after not so much.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I'm laughing so hard I spit out all my juice and sliped on it and looked up and seen this looking at me!