Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel Heroes gets it right

jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Well I am 28 hours in according to my Steam account. I would like to call attention to several things this game has going for it:

Generous drops - You can play for 10 mins and get an upgrade

Good crafting - you can upgrade blues to purples, reroll purples from a different hero to your hero, and move all stats from costume to costume early on

Lots of enemies - the more players in an area, the more enemies you will find. Even if you are by yourself, you can get swarmed if you are not careful and are below level for an area

Honest business practices - there is a sale going on, and they are refunding the difference for all purchases going back to June 25th if you submit a ticket (seriously though, if you spent all your Gs without thinking there'd be an early July sale you're nuts)

Patching - just go read all the patch notes since release, they even stated on the most recent patch that they believe in buffs and will only nerf when absolutely necessary or game breaking

This is my go to "Diablo style/ARPG/hack n slash" for now. I prefer it over D3 (who wouldn't), Torchlight 2 (still a great game but MH multiplayer is easier) as well as any other game in the genre. Haven't bought into GD beta yet so can't comment on that one. All in all the low review scores have me scratching my head - love the game! 

Comments

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Path of Exile and D3 make getting upgrades easy (including good currency items) but it is at end game you hit the upgrade wall.

"Honest business practices - there is a sale going on, and they are refunding the difference for all purchases going back to June 25th if you submit a ticket (seriously though, if you spent all your Gs without thinking there'd be an early July sale you're nuts)"

Is a practice seen in some retail/shopping stores but first I've heard a game do it. That's awesome!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I don't rate this game tbh. I gave it a good go. I like that it's the first time a proper arpg has public multiplayer zones but other than that I'm not impressed.

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing is much better if you are looking for a new ARPG.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by jpnole

Honest business practices - there is a sale going on, and they are refunding the difference for all purchases going back to June 25th if you submit a ticket (seriously though, if you spent all your Gs without thinking there'd be an early July sale you're nuts)

I don't think this has anything to do with honesty. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by jpnole

Well I am 28 hours in according to my Steam account. I would like to call attention to several things this game has going for it:

Generous drops - You can play for 10 mins and get an upgrade

Agreed.

Good crafting - you can upgrade blues to purples, reroll purples from a different hero to your hero, and move all stats from costume to costume early on

Agreed. I am really impressed by the idea of upgrading blues to purple .. something that is actually useful, as opposed to making stuff no one will use (like 99.9% of the D3 crafted items no one ever used). I also like the idea of leveling up the crafter by donating stuff, instead of crafting a million useless items.

Lots of enemies - the more players in an area, the more enemies you will find. Even if you are by yourself, you can get swarmed if you are not careful and are below level for an area

I don't like the public areas. It is NOT true that you will find more enemies if there are more players. Often i found a sea of corpse and nothing to fight. This is my main complaint of the game. I prefers instances than public zones.

No complaints here. The F2P model is fine with me.

Patching - just go read all the patch notes since release, they even stated on the most recent patch that they believe in buffs and will only nerf when absolutely necessary or game breaking

This is my go to "Diablo style/ARPG/hack n slash" for now. I prefer it over D3 (who wouldn't), Torchlight 2 (still a great game but MH multiplayer is easier) as well as any other game in the genre. Haven't bought into GD beta yet so can't comment on that one. All in all the low review scores have me scratching my head - love the game! 

I still prefers D3 over MH because it is more polished, and the combat is more fun (for example, blue/gold enemies have more varying abilities). However, i am also playing MH.

Oh, if you like ARPG, you should check out The Incredible Adventure of Van Helsing. Very good polished indie effort. Different than D3, and MH (so not a replacement) but definitely should try it out.

• blix2006blix2006 Member UncommonPosts: 415
    i have 130 hours in on steam.i feel it has a long way to go but i am liking the game.biggest problem so far is there poor patch testing leading to disaster patches...other then that they are adding a good amount of content.the f2p model they tried right out of the gate was pretty shady but they have shown that they will listen to community feedback and make swift changes based on it.so now the f2p in this game is actually a good model.
    Originally posted by blix2006
    i have 130 hours in on steam.i feel it has a long way to go but i am liking the game.biggest problem so far is there poor patch testing leading to disaster patches...other then that they are adding a good amount of content.the f2p model they tried right out of the gate was pretty shady but they have shown that they will listen to community feedback and make swift changes based on it.so now the f2p in this game is actually a good model.

I only have 30 hours on it and finished the stories on my first hero.

I do like the game but it may not have a lot of legs for me. I will play more though and probably play from time to time. I don't think the patching situation is bad. I wish they have a bit more polish.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

After having played almost all the alliance games on consoles I felt it really took a few steps back from the design. Understandably the it had to be redesigned for a constant-half-consistent mmo. While I appreciate what they tried to do I am just not quite as satisfied as I feel I SHOULD be. 

That's entirely subjective because I very much enjoyed the console versions. I played Marvel Heroes until around lvl.....high 20s? I had flight and really nifty skills as scarlet witch but just didn't feel 'super'. 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Originally posted by Magnetia

After having played almost all the alliance games on consoles I felt it really took a few steps back from the design. Understandably the it had to be redesigned for a constant-half-consistent mmo. While I appreciate what they tried to do I am just not quite as satisfied as I feel I SHOULD be. 

That's entirely subjective because I very much enjoyed the console versions. I played Marvel Heroes until around lvl.....high 20s? I had flight and really nifty skills as scarlet witch but just didn't feel 'super'. 

what console versions? You are talking about Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2? If so, i find those two games more polish than MH, but they are also kind of old.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

what console versions? You are talking about Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2? If so, i find those two games more polish than MH, but they are also kind of old.

Yeah those are the ones. There are some older ones too which I enjoyed. 

Those games made you feel really really powerful.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Yeah those are the ones. There are some older ones too which I enjoyed. 

Those games made you feel really really powerful.

Yeah, and also Xmen Legends 1 & 2. Unfortunately i finished them all (except MUA2).

MH .. i sort of finish too .. the main story line with the first hero.

• Doomsaw-GazillionDoomsaw-Gazillion Marvel HeroesMember Posts: 134

We have a bunch of new "end game" content in the game live right now and a new mode or zone added basically each month. 

Asgard is looking beautiful.

Originally posted by Doomsaw-Gazillion

We have a bunch of new "end game" content in the game live right now and a new mode or zone added basically each month. 

Asgard is looking beautiful.

That sounds good. I will come back to give it a try.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

I have about 8 hours into it so far. It's pretty decent, though I'm a massive fan of isometric ARPGs (Titan quest, Diablo, Torchlight, PoE, etc.), so I could be a bit biased. I dropped $10 and grabbed Human Torch and have been having a blast. The drop rates are quite good, being able to craft and upgrade gear is pretty spiffy, combat has some "oomph" behind it, and now being able to unlock heroes by collection those eternity splinters (I think that's what theyre called) is just icing on the cake. 

I will definitely be playing this while waiting for D3:RoS to come out (and probably even after, as this is scratching a rather large comic book itch I've been having).