Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

24 hours till implosion?

wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Even being excited for launch, i cant help but worry about how it will go. Quite a few AAA launches go quite smoothly, but some are a disaster. It seemed like a staggered time to enter, depending on the date of your pre order would help, but not always, heh...GW2 comes to mind.

Oh well, i'll still be hitting the "play" button at 2am and hoping for the best!

Comments

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

All the servers will crash, just like in every other MMO launch.

JK JK

Aion's was perfect, SW:TOR had a perfect, but straggered stupid launch, Guild Wars 2 was perfect.

• MangaMaidenMangaMaiden Member Posts: 180
    We shall see! Hopefully they have made the server's capacity a bit bigger. Could not believe how many people were playing Beta. O_O Think all the EU servers were full by the time I got through character creation.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

At least with last weekends mishaps behind them (as has been reported) hopefully the 'big' bugs due to loads will be behind us.

And of course last week being OB there will be less people playing as that was the 'try before you buy' weekend.

But most likely you will see crashes. Hopefully not server wide.

(For example I was getting a black screen randomly which the game recovered from but the graphics would then look very bad and the game ran like garbage. ALT+TAB to the desktop fixed the issue but in a fight the 5-10 seconds of the black screen recovery back to the game = death)

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by Syno23
     Guild Wars 2 was perfect.

not really

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    I'm quite happy it has landed on a Saturday (day of work) and is at 10AM GMT I will be up and ready to play!
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    They have been careful enough imo even too careful. It will be fine.
  • Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by davc123

not really

I was there, tell me what went wrong with Guild Wars 2?

• MangaMaidenMangaMaiden Member Posts: 180

not really

Some servers had issues at launch, mine was fine but heard others complaining about it.

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403

not really

They were quite a few disconnection problems at server launch took some time to get in, once in though game ran pretty much perfect.

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275

Well, they had to stop online sales like twenty-four hours after launch to throttle the amount of people coming onto the servers until they could get more up and running. Then there was that silly karma exploit where people were buying cultural armor for next to nothing. Also some food dupe bug. Should I continue?

Back to the topic, on the launcher last night there was a news notice from SE saying that from the 24th to the 27th, new character creation could be throttled or stopped completely depending on server loads. Characters logging in should EXPECT queues and to be patient if you end up in one. Basically they are saying if you are waiting to crack out on the 24th, EXPECT problems. If you have a character that is out of a starter area, you might be in a lot better of a position to continue the game than someone else who isn't.

That being said, I think it'll go smoother than any launch in recent memory.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    It will likely not go perfect so dont expect it to although I can say most MMO's Ive played over the past 3 years or so have had much better launches then games in the past
  • evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Can't be any worse than WoW's launch.
  • DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I'm not playing anything at the moment. Can't seem to generate any interest in mmo's at the moment. Waiting for archeage, maybe ESO or EQN, whenever they are coming out. Is ARR worth playing? enjoyable? really want a decent mmo for the coming winter months.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Technically I expect a smooth launch.

But I also expect that a lot of people will be disappointed because their preferred server will be full. I wished SE would announce free server transfers for the first two weeks or so. That would kill most of the tension. At least for me.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

not really

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by evianwater

MMOs are so much more stable and bug-free today than they were a decade ago, that if there's any question about whether FF XIV devs manage to pull more stable or bug free launch now than WoW had, then they'll need to go back to drawing board and prepare for second relaunch because this one's already botched.

EDIT: 20 hours, 25 minutes, 42 seconds till implosion /EDIT

• Gatorez1913Gatorez1913 Member Posts: 15

I would like to hope it goes smoothly but after all the debacles last weekend I'm expecting quite a bit of time that I am not able to log in over the next week. 

Oh well, expect the worst and hope for the best. 

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Vrika
    Originally posted by evianwater

MMOs are so much more stable and bug-free today than they were a decade ago, that if there's any question about whether FF XIV devs manage to pull more stable or bug free launch now than WoW had, then they'll need to go back to drawing board and prepare for second relaunch because this one's already botched.

EDIT: 20 hours, 25 minutes, 42 seconds till implosion /EDIT

I'm sure we can you get a list of bad launches.  Hell just go through the game list and pick any big name :P.

The only thing I'm sad about is I have to work Saturday night :(.  Hopefully I'll be able to duck out early.  I'll leave something for first shift for once.
    I do expect queues and sever restarts.  Hopefully it's fixed by end of the weekend though.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    as long as I can log on at 5am EST and not get booted off then I find that acceptable.  Even if I get booted off that's fine as long as its less than 30 minutes. 

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Heh, only really good launch I remember being a part of was Rift. They really stayed on the ball those first few days.
  • StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Aion's was perfect, SW:TOR had a perfect, but straggered stupid launch, Guild Wars 2 was perfect.

/facepalm

If you can't see it, it's not happening right?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'm fearful I won't be able to play my main on Leviathan like, at all....

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

This is technically not the real server implosion time... That time came during the launch of Beta 4. Most of the people that will be playing in a few hours will already have toons somewhere in the world, and not in one specific area. On top of this, the first few minutes of the game are done in an instance, and people leave that instance at random times depending on how much they read, and if they skip cutscenes or not.

That layered approach has made it so that the server does not get overloaded in certain areas, and hence, no implosion.

With that said, I would still avoid the mayor cities most of Saturday.