Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Hats off to Smed

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,565Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Foomerang Originally posted by Kyleran Originally posted by Nadia Originally posted by Wakygreek The concepts are great, however until I see the end result I will stay cautiously optimistic.
    i agree
    Ditto, talk is cheap, and Smed has a bad history in this regard, proof will be in the delivered product.
    word
    agreed.  that also goes for any unreleased game, not just this one.

so true
  • ignore_meignore_me Apple Valley, CAPosts: 1,987Member
    Originally posted by Sengi

I want to believe. If SOE really deliver what they claim, they will truly have saved the whole mmo genre. The dark ages of WoW-clones will finally be over.

However we don't have the full picture yet, and some things make suspicious. I would like to know what they are going for with whole class and progression system. At the moment it looks kind of strange to me.

And yes, the graphics still look like a really bad decision to me. I really hope they can do something about it, because it is dragging down the whole game.

I'm with you. I have my beefs with EQN, but I'm excited about what could come from other developers if this game does well. It could be the common ancestor of some yet-to-come sandbox masterpiece. I will spend money on EQN just for the future.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ApraxisApraxis RegensburgPosts: 1,515Member Uncommon

Everything we know up to now indicates that EQN will be indeed a sandbox.. however, we don't know a lot.

But... as all cried for a AAA sandbox, i fear now they get one. And that may not only be a good thing.

EQN may be for sandboxes what WoW was for themeparks.. overly casualize everything, easymode all down to almost nonexistence and everything single player only. Ok.. now i exaggerate.. but that is my main concern about EQN.

I couldn't give less about the comic graphic, about the 8 button combat, or about the lack of a trinity, but dumb down the essence of a sandbox, to trivialize everything, reduce everything to the lowest common denominator is the greatest danger, the greatest trap EQN could run into it. It may be successful, but it may ruin sandboxes like WoW and his clones did it with themeparks.

• RictisRictis UnknownPosts: 1,231Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Apraxis

Everything we know up to now indicates that EQN will be indeed a sandbox.. however, we don't know a lot.

But... as all cried for a AAA sandbox, i fear now they get one. And that may not only be a good thing.

EQN may be for sandboxes what WoW was for themeparks.. overly casualize everything, easymode all down to almost nonexistence and everything single player only. Ok.. now i exaggerate.. but that is my main concern about EQN.

I couldn't give less about the comic graphic, about the 8 button combat, or about the lack of a trinity, but dumb down the essence of a sandbox, to trivialize everything, reduce everything to the lowest common denominator is the greatest danger, the greatest trap EQN could run into it. It may be successful, but it may ruin sandboxes like WoW and his clones did it with themeparks.

I am not 100% sold on this being a sandbox just yet. Limiting cross mingling of classes by only allowing 4 of the abilities to move over and even then basing those 4 on pre set templates still resembles a Themepark in class design. Having said that, it also depends on how they set up tiers and class advancement. I would like to see 0 themeparkish systems in place that may hint towards vertical progression in any way shape or form. 

• jerlot65jerlot65 Lake Mary, FLPosts: 788Member
    Originally posted by Victor_Kruger
    Originally posted by jerlot65
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

While we may not all be happy with the music or the cartoonish graphics, we should admit Smedley did give us a sandbox after all of these years, and this must have been a bold, risky and tough decision to make.

Hats off to the guy for not handing us another breadcrumb trail misery storyline park.

Listen, i like the game so far from what I heard.  However regarding the whole sandbox thing?  He is so far giving us the run around.  Sure Landmark "COULD" be the biggest sandbox MMO ever.  However Landmark is almost completely seperate from the actual EQ Next MMO.  As of right now we only know that some preapproved player content may be used by devs and placed in the game, thats it.  We dont even know what, where, and how things can be built in EQ Next.  So as of right now, there isnt  hardly any sandbox features in EQ Next.

You DO know that for a MMO to be truly Sandbox, it only needs to allow players to free roam the entire world from the word go right? It has nothing to do with building structures or destroying them, player made economies, or any other number of features that people have romanticized the genre with. If you can get anywhere in the game world at level one, it's a sandbox. Period. Now, some definitions DO include all or some of those things, but they ALL have this one thing in the definition across the board......

From Techopedia:

Instead of featuring segmented areas or numbered levels, a sandbox game usually occurs in a “world” to which the gamer has full access from start to finish. 

I guess one of our definitions of sandbox is wrong then.......  Oh yay for technopedia

i will kind of compare the deifintion of video game sandbox as the same as an actual sandbox.  U know, a world base that you can go and manipulate it the way you want.  Much like an actual sandbox.

Everything said in the new Daivd Georgeson interview indicates the game being a sandbox. There is going to be no instance dungeons, bosses are in the world itself, same with housing and crafting will have a center role in the game for progression and player interaction according to them. These things are all hallmarks of a sandbox game.

So EQ 1 was a sandbox?  Your guy's definition of sandbox really don't make sense.  Why would "being able to go anywhere, any time" be related to an actual sandbox.  Sandbox was used to describe a game where you were given simple tools and and create and manipulate objects and the world around you like an actual sandbox.  This is how twisted people are in their definitons.

Also, please give me actual quotes about housing in EQ NEXT, not Landmark, EQ NEXT.

While we may not all be happy with the music or the cartoonish graphics, we should admit Smedley did give us a sandbox after all of these years, and this must have been a bold, risky and tough decision to make.

Hats off to the guy for not handing us another breadcrumb trail misery storyline park.

Listen, i like the game so far from what I heard.  However regarding the whole sandbox thing?  He is so far giving us the run around.  Sure Landmark "COULD" be the biggest sandbox MMO ever.  However Landmark is almost completely seperate from the actual EQ Next MMO.  As of right now we only know that some preapproved player content may be used by devs and placed in the game, thats it.  We dont even know what, where, and how things can be built in EQ Next.  So as of right now, there isnt  hardly any sandbox features in EQ Next.

Well.. we know that we can build stuff in the open world in EQN. But even if you asume we wouldn't know.

We do know

- EQN will feature multiclassing

- EQN will more about horizontal progression and less vertical

and those two are sandbox features.. like it or not. And almost everything else is more of a sandbox feature instead a themeparkish feature.. i couldn't name one thing that they said would indicate themepark.. even the rallying call is a lot more sandboxish as their counterparts named public quests and dynamic events.

So you can argue a lot, you can not like it, and everything.. but you can hardly call it a themepark.

Edit: To clarify  why Rallying call is more sandboxish as dynamic events(GW2) or public quests(WAR) or rifts(Rift) for that matter.. it is because permanence. In all other after the events ended everything is the same as in the beginning... and it will repeat endlessly.. in Rallying call the beginning and the end are different, and you do it once. Those two things make rallying call more of a sandbox feature in comparsion to public quests, which are more themeparkish.

EQ1 is not a sandbox, its a very large themepark with minimal hand holding and severe consequence for making mistakes.

You DO know that for a MMO to be truly Sandbox, it only needs to allow players to free roam the entire world from the word go right? It has nothing to do with building structures or destroying them, player made economies, or any other number of features that people have romanticized the genre with. If you can get anywhere in the game world at level one, it's a sandbox. Period. Now, some definitions DO include all or some of those things, but they ALL have this one thing in the definition across the board......

From Techopedia:

Instead of featuring segmented areas or numbered levels, a sandbox game usually occurs in a “world” to which the gamer has full access from start to finish. 

I guess one of our definitions of sandbox is wrong then.......  Oh yay for technopedia

i will kind of compare the deifintion of video game sandbox as the same as an actual sandbox.  U know, a world base that you can go and manipulate it the way you want.  Much like an actual sandbox.

Everything said in the new Daivd Georgeson interview indicates the game being a sandbox. There is going to be no instance dungeons, bosses are in the world itself, same with housing and crafting will have a center role in the game for progression and player interaction according to them. These things are all hallmarks of a sandbox game.

So EQ 1 was a sandbox?  Your guy's definition of sandbox really don't make sense.  Why would "being able to go anywhere, any time" be related to an actual sandbox.  Sandbox was used to describe a game where you were given simple tools and and create and manipulate objects and the world around you like an actual sandbox.  This is how twisted people are in their definitons.

Also, please give me actual quotes about housing in EQ NEXT, not Landmark, EQ NEXT.

No.. EQ1 was not.. and even with the very limited(and in my opinion incomplete) definition of ganksinatra EQ1 would not be a sandbox.. it was really a lot to much level centric... and you couldn't go everywhere with level 1, because you would already die in the level 15 area.. not to talk about the higher ones. Or with other words.. too much vertical progression.

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger La Mesa, CAPosts: 268Member

From Techopedia:

Also, please give me actual quotes about hosuing in EQ NEXT, not Landmark, EQ NEXT.

Yes EQ had some sandbox elements to it but was not a sandbox. Sandbox games are like ultima online, starwars galaxies, eve online, darkfall.
    The interview has been posted here on the forums, the lead designer of the game explains what they are planning to do with housing in both games and how they work together.

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Salem, ORPosts: 354Member Uncommon

From Techopedia:

No, That's NOT the definition of sandbox. It's how it was INTERPRETED by players, ASSUMING the same thing you just listed because it's what you can do in a real sandbox.  And I love all of the people merely screaming "UUMMMMM NO!" at what I posted, without anything to back it up.....like a definition that I gave......instead plugging their ears and screaming "LALALALALALA I can't hear you, Sandboxes are X Y and Z!!!!".........Bottom line is the definition of a sandbox game is the ability to go anywhere and see anything from the time you log in. That's it. Al the other crap everyone insists is part of it have been added and subtracted several times over the length of the genre, but only one thing remained......the definition I gave. 

If you went and bought a sandwich, but then someone put chips on that sandwich and you liked it, does every sandwich require chips to be a sandwich from now on, or are there other sandwiches without chips, and do most people know sandwich to be what you think it is, or is there a more base definition?

• ZekiahZekiah Aurora, COPosts: 2,499Member
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    The concepts are great, however until I see the end result I will stay cautiously optimistic.

i agree

Ditto, talk is cheap, and Smed has a bad history in this regard, proof will be in the delivered product.

Agreed.

It seems that we've crossed over from hypeville to pre-release slap on the backisms.

/baffled

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• DrakephireDrakephire Fontana, CAPosts: 445Member Uncommon
    EQ1 is not a sandbox, its a very large themepark with minimal hand holding and severe consequence for making mistakes.

It was (is) barely a themepark even.  I'd classify it as a themebox, a hybrid before its time.

Originally posted by Drakephire

It was (is) barely a themepark even.  I'd classify it as a themebox, a hybrid before its time.

I would agree with this, and to a certain extent, I think that goes sort of for EQNext  as well.

I wish I could meet you halfway, but nothing EQ1 did would ever justify calling it a sandbox or close to one. The entire world was static. When the entire world is static it basically destroys any hope of calling the game a sandbox. Anyway, in the mean time lets agree to disagree.

I would agree with this, and to a certain extent, I think that goes sort of for EQNext  as well.

I agree with the fact that EQN may be a Themebox, but that is dependent on the systems they implement. Wait and see imo.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Lake Mary, FLPosts: 788Member
    Originally posted by Apraxis

Well.. we know that we can build stuff in the open world in EQN. But even if you asume we wouldn't know.

We do know

- EQN will feature multiclassing

- EQN will more about horizontal progression and less vertical

and those two are sandbox features.. like it or not. And almost everything else is more of a sandbox feature instead a themeparkish feature.. i couldn't name one thing that they said would indicate themepark.. even the rallying call is a lot more sandboxish as their counterparts named public quests and dynamic events.

So you can argue a lot, you can not like it, and everything.. but you can hardly call it a themepark.

How is multiclassing, horizontal progression in an MMO in anyway compared to an actual sandbox.  The term was given to games like SWG not because of its skill systems or pvp.  It was given to SWG because of how the world was laid out.  The world had some wildlife and some cities but for the most part the game was left to the players to manipulate and build upon just like a real life sandbox.  In a real sandbox you didnt have much stuff other than the few tools you were given but could build anything you wanted.

And the problem is people trying to use the word sandbox as the opposite as themepark.  A game can be not a themepark and not a sandbox game at the same time.  EQ 1 was not a theme park.  There no set path to take from one quest hub to the next.  There was no rails and boundaries in the lands.  However EQ 1 wasnt a sandbox either.  The world was static.  You could change nothing about the world.  You could not build or anything "tangible" in the game.

So i would in no way call EQ Next a themepark.  But i have yet to see anything in EQ Next that suggests its a sandbox either.

• vidiotkingvidiotking madison, WIPosts: 587Member

.Bottom line is the definition of a sandbox game is the ability to go anywhere and see anything from the time you log in. That's it. Al the other crap everyone insists is part of it have been added and subtracted several times over the length of the genre, but only one thing remained......the definition I gave. 

Says who? Your definition of a sandbox is not any more accurate or 'correct' than mine is... 

Originally posted by vidiotking

.Bottom line is the definition of a sandbox game is the ability to go anywhere and see anything from the time you log in. That's it. Al the other crap everyone insists is part of it have been added and subtracted several times over the length of the genre, but only one thing remained......the definition I gave. 

Says who? Your definition of a sandbox is not any more accurate or 'correct' than mine is... 

.....says EVERY POSTED DEFINITION OF A SANDBOX MMO ON THE INTERNET >.<. Like I said, some add and subtract all of the romanticized elements (player made buildings, player made economy, no levels, etc), but the ONLY part of the definition that is 100% the SAME across the board is the ability to go anywhere from the first time you log in. That's it.

A house used to be considered a house if it had 4 walls and a roof. Then it was only a house if it had all that plus plumbing. Then electricity. Now, during the zombie apocalypse, will you be standing outside of a structure arguing that it's "not really a house" because it doesn't have those things you insist should be part of a house, or are you gonna duck inside the house and avoid having your brains eaten? =P

• vidiotkingvidiotking madison, WIPosts: 587Member

.....says EVERY POSTED DEFINITION OF A SANDBOX MMO ON THE INTERNET >.<. Like I said, some add and subtract all of the romanticized elements (player made buildings, player made economy, no levels, etc), but the ONLY part of the definition that is 100% the SAME across the board is the ability to go anywhere from the first time you log in. That's it.

A house used to be considered a house if it had 4 walls and a roof. Then it was only a house if it had all that plus plumbing. Then electricity. Now, during the zombie apocalypse, will you be standing outside of a structure arguing that it's "not really a house" because it doesn't have those things you insist should be part of a house, or are you gonna duck inside the house and avoid having your brains eaten? =P

I looked on the 'internet' and did not find a definitive answer to what a sandbox mmo is... so. I think you're wrong.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Nada, FLPosts: 576Member

Well we were given todays quote, which honestly is the most we have seen, that players will own land in EQNEXT though it will not be the same mechanic as landmark....and that templates from landmark can be moved to EQnext (and then assembled by plugging in the right resources)

You know having the most developer centric tools in another game may allow for a better flow in EQNext while still allowing for a great deal of player customization by way of Landmark.

For instance if they tried to combine the two the UI in Next would suffer, as would both the immersion and the ability to craft undisturbed by the world going on around you, for instance if a camp of orcs set up near your plot or fear of using resources in Next whereas they could be more plentiful in Landmark without affecting other aspects like weapon crafting and the like.

I won't call it a GOOD system until we actually see it in play, but it sounds like an interesting one.

• YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member

If you are referring to EQ Next then he hasn't given us shit until it is released and we can actually see that it is a sandbox and not another hyped up pos.

I looked on the 'internet' and did not find a definitive answer to what a sandbox mmo is... so. I think you're wrong.

Apparently, I'm not speaking slow enough. There IS NO definitive definition of Sandbox MMO......there IS however, a running thread through ALL of them......the ability to go anywhere from the start. You are correct to have thought what you thought of a sandbox mmo. Not arguing that. However, it is a sort of genetic mutation of sandbox, not pure sandbox. Pure sandbox is what all definitions of what it should be include.  The alterations are the parts that seem to be added or subtracted at will. I think probably the best, all encompassing definition says something to the effect of "Freedom for a player"......this encompasses all parts that people think of when they think "sandbox"......but that definition also goes on to say that most games will never have that level of freedom expected when someone hears the term "sandbox", and often just refers to the ability to go anywhere from the beginning. Just my two cents. 

TL:DR - People are hyping this up based on an unset definition of what "sandbox" is supposed to mean, to them. That makes this game doomed for failure to those who want it just because it's "sandbox".

• AtlasGravesAtlasGraves Las Vegas, NVPosts: 15Member

I have always said this about a game. It just has to feel right

the movements and fluidity are so so important. 

When world of Warcraft came out nothing could tough it in terms of the way you felt your character as you took control of him or her. 

Everything else for years just felt let's say clunky to not as polished. I hope soe can pull it off very ambitious

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger La Mesa, CAPosts: 268Member
    Originally posted by Yamota

If you are referring to EQ Next then he hasn't given us shit until it is released and we can actually see that it is a sandbox and not another hyped up pos.

Well its not a thempark game and its certainly not a remake of EQ that people have been raging about on these forums. Everything said about it from no levels, no instance dungeons, limited space for player housing in the game world and strong focus on crafting, you can find all those things in other sand box games. They also added minecraft style game play in it with breakable terrain and resources you can collect in it.

People to are free to chose to not to believe it tell they see it, but all the info we getting from them indicates that its a sandbox game. Is the A.I as good as they say it is, and is the combat not going to be a zergfest? Those are the big unknown questions in my mind.

• furbansfurbans Tinbucktwo, IAPosts: 965Member

Actually its been said that land grants will be given by npcs in Ever Quest Next for you to use and you can transfer what you made from Land Mark. It won't be instance housing it will be in the actual world and that space is limited. So I imagine good locations will be worth a lot in game.

But isn't the game going to have numerous unlimited instances which would equate to unlimited space?

MMO after MMO have we've been given a list of promises and always have they only delivered half of the promises or that talked it up to the point of distorting it from what it actually is in game.

I think I have a different classification than Smed.  To me sandbox is unlimited roving with everyone with no segregation and being able to pursue a number of careers.  I use the term career in reference to EVE where there is a variety of career paths with missions, ratting, exploration, PvP, trader, research, planetary installations ect ect.  No game have I've seen this and consider it a crucial part to a sandbox.