Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The game offers nothing.

15678911»

Comments

• AlamarethAlamareth Cincinnati, OHPosts: 570Member
    Originally posted by Gravarg

For those that are saying it levels too fast...don't worry, on your 2nd class from one of the cities, you won't have hardly any quests to level you.  Then it's back to old school FFXI grind days :D.  And levels 20+ go a lot slower.  The exp increase needed for each successive level goes through the roof.

Although, you do get upto a 50% exp bonus from leveling another class  :(, but I still think it'll be pretty slow.

There's an awkward gap on your 2nd class at about 13-15 where you are a bit stuck with grinding.  Other than that, you can stack up the quests pretty nicely so that you rocket up once you hit 15.

• wowclonezwowclonez Scripps Ranch, CAPosts: 74Member
    Originally posted by Alamareth
    Originally posted by wowclonez
    Originally posted by derek39

You played less than 5-6 hours of the game. Enough said.

The game is a tutorial up until level 18-19.

Seems like we hear this excuse for every MMO game. It took you level 18-19 for you to get into the game. Sorry, 5-6 hours should be plenty to get into any game. 5-6 hours into Skyrim I was amazed, far out into the world, felt epic. 5-6 hours into WOW I felt like I accomplished something and was far out into the world, character was progressing nicely. 5-6 hours in this game felt like I was doing homework or something, so many small zones. Not saying it is a bad game, but just didn't draw me in, guess I am more of a sandbox guy, I like big worlds, few zones etc. Glad you are liking it though, maybe if it goes F2P in the future will give it a try.

I disagree, that's a very console driven mentality.  MMOs are specifically designed for slow progress.  You are throttled in nearly every aspect.  You can expect roughly 30-40 hours of gameplay from a console game.  If an MMO can't deliver hundreds of hours, it won't last more than a month.

The more features a game has, the longer it is going to take to teach all of those functions.  It took me about 3 hours of semi-casual play to really understand the core functions.  The game wasn't terribly easy to just pick up and understand, a lot is thrown at you fast.  However, since I have played games for so long I knew the general purpose of each function once I realized what was happening.  I wouldn't have the same expectation of someone new to MMOs and that's clearly the mentality SE took.  There's a lot of information I didn't need in that tutorial, but it was info that someone else likely did.  That takes time.

Maybe SE tipped the scale a bit too far to the newbie.  When reviewing a game you have to recognize what the tutorial is.  If you can't, you shouldn't review and if you are unwilling to pass that you shouldn't review.  It's a valid point to have in a review, but it's an invalid review to solely focus on that tutorial.

You say this as if Skyrim or WOW doesn't have 100's of hours of gameplay. You even admitted it yourself  "There's a lot of information I didn't need in that tutorial, but it was info that someone else likely did.  That takes time. Maybe SE tipped the scale a bit too far to the newbie." Console driven mentality, don't forget it's coming out for PS3. A lot of people don't have patience for this stuff. Never in Skyrim or WOW did I feel overwhelmed with an extended tutorial. I understand what you are saying don't get me wrong, but don't disagree then re enforce what I said. Think at the end of the day we can all agree the tutorial crap is just way too long.

• AlamarethAlamareth Cincinnati, OHPosts: 570Member
    Originally posted by Alamareth
    Originally posted by derek39

You played less than 5-6 hours of the game. Enough said.

The game is a tutorial up until level 18-19.

Seems like we hear this excuse for every MMO game. It took you level 18-19 for you to get into the game. Sorry, 5-6 hours should be plenty to get into any game. 5-6 hours into Skyrim I was amazed, far out into the world, felt epic. 5-6 hours into WOW I felt like I accomplished something and was far out into the world, character was progressing nicely. 5-6 hours in this game felt like I was doing homework or something, so many small zones. Not saying it is a bad game, but just didn't draw me in, guess I am more of a sandbox guy, I like big worlds, few zones etc. Glad you are liking it though, maybe if it goes F2P in the future will give it a try.

I disagree, that's a very console driven mentality.  MMOs are specifically designed for slow progress.  You are throttled in nearly every aspect.  You can expect roughly 30-40 hours of gameplay from a console game.  If an MMO can't deliver hundreds of hours, it won't last more than a month.

The more features a game has, the longer it is going to take to teach all of those functions.  It took me about 3 hours of semi-casual play to really understand the core functions.  The game wasn't terribly easy to just pick up and understand, a lot is thrown at you fast.  However, since I have played games for so long I knew the general purpose of each function once I realized what was happening.  I wouldn't have the same expectation of someone new to MMOs and that's clearly the mentality SE took.  There's a lot of information I didn't need in that tutorial, but it was info that someone else likely did.  That takes time.

Maybe SE tipped the scale a bit too far to the newbie.  When reviewing a game you have to recognize what the tutorial is.  If you can't, you shouldn't review and if you are unwilling to pass that you shouldn't review.  It's a valid point to have in a review, but it's an invalid review to solely focus on that tutorial.

You say this as if Skyrim or WOW doesn't have 100's of hours of gameplay. You even admitted it yourself  "There's a lot of information I didn't need in that tutorial, but it was info that someone else likely did.  That takes time. Maybe SE tipped the scale a bit too far to the newbie." Console driven mentality, don't forget it's coming out for PS3. A lot of people don't have patience for this stuff. Never in Skyrim or WOW did I feel overwhelmed with an extended tutorial. I understand what you are saying don't get me wrong, but don't disagree then re enforce what I said. Think at the end of the day we can all agree the tutorial crap is just way too long.

Way to twist my words.  I've played games for over a decade, I literally have seen it all.  I will pick up things at a far faster pace than anyone that's new to a MMO.  I'm not re-enforcing, I'm adding some subtlety to a frankly very stupid post by you.

Also, Skyrim has replay value but not hundreds of hour of gameplay.  It's a little tough to compare that to a MMO.  It also comes with a roughly 20 page instruction manual.  Are you advocating FFXIV:ARR do that too? I tested WoW, but I hated it so much that I refused to play it, so I can't comment on that tutorial. 

• VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,970Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

I can´t help but facepalm at comments such as "Story and cutscenes suck, give me more fights"

Has any of you actually played a classic Final Fantasy before?

Yes.. and the story and cut scenes didn't suck. What's your point?

• c0existc0exist Round Rock, TXPosts: 192Member
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

I can´t help but facepalm at comments such as "Story and cutscenes suck, give me more fights"

Has any of you actually played a classic Final Fantasy before?

Yes.. and the story and cut scenes didn't suck. What's your point?

He is not saying the story and cutscenes sucj he is saying "story and cutscenes suck" meaning the game shouldnt have them.  I should be an all powerful supercharacter that fights 24/7 for no real reason because hey there is no story after all.  And if i cant one shot every mob in the game its too hard.  Oh and I want top ranked gear delivered to my inbox every morning just for logging in because I deserve it.  Ridiculous.

• AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 1,886Member Uncommon
    Offers me a playable final fantasy experience.
  • k11keeperk11keeper Kalama, WAPosts: 1,056Member Uncommon

Just have to say one thing

This review offers nothing

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Orlando, FLPosts: 842Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lucrecia
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I think this is what the problem with every MMO that's come out since WoW (except a few).  The developers all want to make MMOs exciting, fast-paced, and rewarding.  Truth is, a real MMO is none of those things.  

MMOs are not always exciting, there are lulls in the action.  If you want to have excitement 24/7/365, MMOs aren't for you, just stop playing them.  There are times when you go up against something truly challenging and win that are exciting, but if you expect kill 10 rats to be exciting, then you're already set up for failure at MMOs.

MMOs are not fast-paced.  They're slow, grindy games that take years to master everything.  Recent games are all about, "Get to max level in 3-4 days, then go to endgame".  This isn't what an MMO is about.  MMOs are all about the journey of your character, not the endgame.  Progessing through things like crafting, leveling, and the overall game should be done slowly and enjoy the journey.  If you expect to level every 30 seconds, then you're already set up for failure at MMOs.

MMOs are not rewarding, in the sense that other genres are anyways.  If you want to have an "omg I can't believe that just happened" moment everyday, then you're not going to be happy.  MMOs are the quintissential delayed gratification of the gaming industry.  If you want everything fast and now, then you're already set up for failure at MMOs.

I've been saying this for years.  The problem with MMOs isn't the games or developers, it's the community as a whole.  You demanded games that were exciting all the time.  You demanded games that were fast-paced.  You demanded games that rewarded you for breathing, walking, and looking blankly in a corner of a pub.  Therefore we all got these games that were no longer MMOs, but a perverse amalgamation we have had over the last 7-8 years.

I'm glad that FFXIV does not follow this trend.  I'm glad that it instead goes with slower paced combat, slower paced leveling, and long drawn out cut scenes.  If you would actually stop to read the text and learn the story, it is actually quite engaging.  I'm glad that FFXIV doesn't reward you but just a small upgrade in gear everytime, which eventually turns into you being undergeared in later stages.  I'm glad that I don't have my heart racing all the time, but when a big boss comes up, it actually stands out, since I just got done with a long lull of excitement.

Thanks SE for redoing this game, and making it what it should've been in the first place.  Great job, and I love it.

This is what I want in an MMO.........this is what I expected in FFXIV.......

From my experience, FF14 seems to provide just this experience. It is old school done well. It has all of the feel of an old school game with the polish expected in this day age. I am excited for tomorrow.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• nilelivenilelive fullerton, CAPosts: 3Member
    I have to disagree. Delayed gratification? Is that really what we want from our entertainment, to have frequent lulls? I'm not saying you're wrong in preferring the slower pace as I love EVE online which has a much slower pace than ffxiv but there is a real world out there with engaging and worthwhile experiences. It's embarrassing to sit in front of a computer and hit 1234 on your keyboard until the little fairy dies and you can collect her wings for the unimportant questgiver who's name you never bothered to remember. That's insulting to human intelligence, to entertainment. Seriously watch someone playing this game and tell me you're having a good time. It's slow, it's boring, it's not brining anything new to the table, its convention. The genre is trying to break-out of this lull and bring mmorpgs forward. You SHOULDN'T be subjected to sitting in a digital landscape killing owlbears for two hours to get their "fur" (staring at you eq2). This isn't intelligent game design and should be looked down upon. If you wanted a slow pace mmo that sticks to convention you have plenty to choose from but lets not all act like this game is reinventing the wheel or offering anything worth celebrating. The name alone is an insult, Realm Reborn? Since the first Realm they made had to be pulled off-market!
15678911»