Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV: ARR - New Beginner's Guide!

Elric42Elric42 Member Posts: 22

I've been doing quite a bit of digging and consolidating data from both in-game experience and different fansites, and I've come up with a pretty comprehensive Beginners Guide for FFXIV: A Realm Reborn.

Please take a look at let me know what you think!

FFXIV Beginner's Guide - Click Here!

- Elric

Covenant of the Phoenix
www.cotp.info

Comments

• DragviperDragviper Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Very nice guide, thanks for taking the time of doing this :)
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    I would give it a big thumbs up. :) A lot of good information there I was reading it earlier and will read it some more tomorrow.
  • thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230
    it says "you dont have permission for that!" wherever i click. :(

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Nice work so far - it looks very good.

Also, wanted to point out I thought I recognized the name and now I remember seeing you running around Eorzea!

• Elric42Elric42 Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by thanoskkk

Sorry Thanoskkk, could you please try the link again?

I've been updating it whenever I find more good information, so I may have been editing the guide when you tried clicking the link.

- Elric

Covenant of the Phoenix
    www.cotp.info

Originally posted by Ridelynn

Nice work so far - it looks very good.

Also, wanted to point out I thought I recognized the name and now I remember seeing you running around Eorzea!

Hah, I recognize your name as well - Hey Ridelynn! Small world eh?

- Elric

Covenant of the Phoenix
    www.cotp.info

• thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by Elric42
    Originally posted by thanoskkk

Sorry Thanoskkk, could you please try the link again?

I've been updating it whenever I find more good information, so I may have been editing the guide when you tried clicking the link.

Still getting the error but now that i know the reason ill keep trying. Can't wait to read it since this is my first FF game and im gonna need a guide :)

Thanks.

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

This guide makes it sound like Grand Companies are basically going to divide players into 3 factions.  The guide says there will be different gear, quests, raids, and eventually PvP.   Based on this, it seems like a Free Company would for the most part only want to have members of one Grand Company, or else the members won't have he same quests, raids, etc. or be able to eventually fight together on the same team.

Is that correct?  If so I must say I'm not a fan of that setup at all, especially if there is NO way to change your grand company.   What if two players in the same Free Company picked two different grand companies and some months from now want to raid or PvP or whatever together and can't?  

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Grand Companies only divide on Grand Company quests and PVP.

Basically GC quests will be special form of Guildleves. I believe it only applies toward requesting and credit for the quest: Anyone can help, and everyone will get some reward, but those who are aligned with the GC for the quest will get an added extra. I ran a few in P3 beta - it certainly did not create any sort of division or dividing line in PvE content.

Also, it does definitely divide everyone into 3 factions for PVP - that's going to be the basis for Frontlines when they finally come out.

As far as Free Companies/Linkshells go: It's not like you can't do Bahamut's tower unless your entire raid of 24 is made up all of a single GC. The only huge factor your personal GC affiliation will have on a FC/LS would be for participation in Frontlines.

Yes, each GC has distinctive gear available to them.

I'm not sure about swapping GC's - I was under the impression that you would be able to at any time (but in doing so would lose your standing, and if you went back would have to start again from the beginning, and you are unable to use any of your previously purchased GC gear). I may be under the wrong impression, and I can't find any official information, but here's some comments (which may or may not be accurate):
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/678051-final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn/66796027

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312

Thanks OP,

I even saved it to favorites.  I'll have to re read some of it's details as my mind catches up things :)

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Very clean, and well done. Looking forward to future updates of it. Thank you for sharing it with us.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• IrylIryl Member Posts: 15
    Good thread! Was especially interested in the advanced classes, shame the Archer job can only "transform" into a Bard. Was hoping it could've been used in a more assassin/rogue type character. Or in a combination with a mage class to gain either healing/destructive arrows of some sort.
  • DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

The guide looks good.

My only suggestion would be to make the Table of Contents at the top of the guide clickable to the various section each corresponds to.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Thanks OP
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    Originally posted by RollieJoe

This guide makes it sound like Grand Companies are basically going to divide players into 3 factions.  The guide says there will be different gear, quests, raids, and eventually PvP.   Based on this, it seems like a Free Company would for the most part only want to have members of one Grand Company, or else the members won't have he same quests, raids, etc. or be able to eventually fight together on the same team.

Is that correct?  If so I must say I'm not a fan of that setup at all, especially if there is NO way to change your grand company.   What if two players in the same Free Company picked two different grand companies and some months from now want to raid or PvP or whatever together and can't?  

That's a good point. Now that I've re-read that section it does seem to lead towards "divisions" in how the game works.  I'll try and re-word that section to be clearer. It looks like Ridelynn already answered your questions in the posts above. :)

- Elric

Covenant of the Phoenix
    www.cotp.info

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Looks great! Nicely done.

I actually didn't know about the Armory bonus before reading your guide, very cool stuff!

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Thanks!

I didn't know about hunting log and what those weird icons above monsters meant and about the armory bonus.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

@RollieJoe

I updated the guide to be a bit clearer regarding the Grand Companies and what they do / do not have for restrictions. 

Hopefully that helps!

- Elric

Covenant of the Phoenix
    www.cotp.info

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455
    +1 Really good guide. I am still reading through a lot of it, but I am happy I looked at this post, and recommend any new players to read/save to favorites.
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Nicely done, lots of good info for new players and people interested in the game, thanks Elric.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Iryl
    Good thread! Was especially interested in the advanced classes, shame the Archer job can only "transform" into a Bard. Was hoping it could've been used in a more assassin/rogue type character. Or in a combination with a mage class to gain either healing/destructive arrows of some sort.

That will more then likely come later. Right now S-E just seems to be laying down a good foundation. Other more varied jobs crystals and maybe even new classes, will come later.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• IrylIryl Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Roin
    Originally posted by Iryl

That will more then likely come later. Right now S-E just seems to be laying down a good foundation. Other more varied jobs crystals and maybe even new classes, will come later.

Yes, I'm sure of that. Adding new jobs opens up the opportunity to add more advanced classes as well. Since you can play all jobs and thus all advanced classes on a single character I'm already happy with the variety the game offers.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Awesome guide! I'm gonna read it right now image

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• DasButoDasButo Member Posts: 2

Nice guide, but I think the class prerequisites for the jobs are incorrect. The following are the current requirements as of Beta 4:

PALADIN - Gladiator (30), Conjuror (15), Marauder (0)

WARRIOR - Marauder (30), Gladiator (15), Pugilist (0)

DRAGOON - Lancer (30), Pugilist (15), Marauder (0)

MONK - Pugilist (30), Lancer (15), Marauder (0)

BARD - Archer (30), Pugilist (15), Lancer (0)

WHITE MAGE - Conjuror (30), Arcanist (15), Pugilist (0)

BLACK MAGE - Thaumaturge (30), Arcanist (15), Archer (0)

SUMMONER - Arcanist (30), Thaumaturge (15), "Unknown" (0)

SCHOLAR - Arcanist (30), Conjuror (15), "Unknown" (0)

This information is from http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/FF14_Wiki and http://www.gaiscioch.com/tavern/ffxiv_discussion/post_62705.html.

Please keep up the good work :)

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Thanks for a straight forward guide that a FF noobling as myself can rely on. I decided to take the plunge and pre-order the game, so this will help me from feeling overwhelmed.