Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Culling gone from game - PERIOD!!

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Oh, and all I get when I try to google "GW2 server 1500" or "GW2 server 1500 players" is some wiki page not mentioning anything about the number of players or some gold seller page trying to sell me 1500g in the game.

So I'd really like to have a link to the OFFICIAL (<- CAPS EMPHASIS!) source of that "info".

its funny because the people who hate on GW2 keep making excuses to convince themselves that the game is dying because it doesnt have a sub. Now they say each server doesnt hold enough people? really? sigh..... people are pathetic.

1500 people per server is false until ANET officially proves it to us. The more info the haters make up the more pathetic they sound.

It is a successful mmo, the most successful mmo that charges for a box since WoW, and it doesnt even have a sub. They need to Accept it or go back under a rock.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Why do you guys keep making these threads only to tell the haters not to post? What did you think would happen? Are you doing this on purpose?

I own the game. I log in. When I do I see people. Lots of people. Always lots of people running around. Never once did i ever feel the game was in trouble in terms of an active population. And that was when there was culling. But there are still players in GW2. Always, lots and lots of players. We all know this is true.

So why? Why bait these arguments?

• PopeLeoVIIPopeLeoVII Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Why do you guys keep making these threads only to tell the haters not to post? What did you think would happen? Are you doing this on purpose?

I own the game. I log in. When I do I see people. Lots of people. Always lots of people running around. Never once did i ever feel the game was in trouble in terms of an active population. And that was when there was culling. But there are still players in GW2. Always, lots and lots of players. We all know this is true.

well said sir

"My P.O. telling me I need a 9 to 5
    But I already got a job, and that's staying alive"

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I was going to ask the same thing and changed my mind, I'm glad someone did, many GW2 threads seem to be a call to come troll the game.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by caetftl

Phasing is culling... gw2 official wiki clarifies that for ya... Dev quoted as 1500 player per server max...  I actually do know the difference, if you can quote me as not knowing the difference go right ahead.

You stopped responding because you kept trying to misconstrue what I said and take it to hyperbole, you also used varied ad hominems and straw man arguments, and I just kept requoting exactly what you said and asking you to show me where and what I said that could have possibly had the meaning you were trying to misconstrue it as having... you never once were able to do that despite being asked to in 10 different instances.. (posting history shows this np)...

I think at one point you were even claiming i believed that 100% of anets sales were from cash shop, still waiting for you to quote anything I said that remotely implied that I believed that..  My guess is, yet again, you will dodge it, because you have no answer... yet you will flock with the other misguided and try to convince yourself you are right via mob mentality... 

Unfortunately, the gw2 wiki exists, it defines culling and the phasing it creates for you... unfortunately ncsoft earnings reports exist... Sorry man...

There you go again attributing quotes to Arenanet devs without quoting or linking.

I've asked you before to post the quote that you claimed that existed where Arenanet confirmed phasing. You still haven't linked to that quote.

Now you inventing another quote where an Arenanet dev claim a GW2 servers is 1500 people max.

You just spreading FUD.

1500 people was  a number rumored for all of the WvW (there are 4 maps). Other numbers talked have been 1200 and 2000.

And again you insist it creates a phase for you. You either have reading problems, aren't an english native speaker or both.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Culling

As distant characters come closer, their bodies become visible some distance before their nameplates appear. Visible, but distant characters and monsters cannot be selected until they come within a minimum distance.

As you move your character in a direction, new characters/NPCs will gradually phase into the scene (taking a few seconds) while those behind you disappear. This phasing in was one of the issues affecting WvW stealthy characters, and providing them with a few seconds of extra invisibility as they came out of stealth.

Where does it say it creates a phase for you? 

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Distopia

I was going to ask the same thing and changed my mind, I'm glad someone did, many GW2 threads seem to be a call to come troll the game.

It is a forum about GW2.

Apparently writing a fact - culling was removed and you can see more players now - coupled with an opinion - it is impressive how many people play this game - is a bait thread now.

I guess for some people the only good thread about GW2 will be "GW2 closed is servers".

People, just let it go. You will be happier.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Apparently not all posters believe it's true. 

Also, no one is asking anyone to post on this thread.  If people choose too, specially the ones who can't let a positive GW2 post go unpunished, then that's their issue not yours.  Some people (usual suspects) started right off in this thread saying that removing PVE culling doesn't mean more people are playing.  Did anyone state otherwise?  The title implies no such thing and the only thing that "baits" people into a GW2 thread on this site is that it's a positive thread about GW2.  Are only negative threads  allowed here? 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    This needed done but it needed done day one. I am glad that I didnt really like the game because I would have probably just dealt with the culling. I do not enjoy gw2 though I did give it a few months, this fix is 365 days to late, hapoy for thos that still play it. Is this game transitioning from a buy to play fo a cash shop game though? They ride a fine line.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by rodingo

Apparently not all posters believe it's true. 

Also, no one is asking anyone to post on this thread.  If people choose too, specially the ones who can't let a positive GW2 post go unpunished, then that's their issue not yours.  Some people (usual suspects) started right off in this thread saying that removing PVE culling doesn't mean more people are playing.  Did anyone state otherwise?  The title implies no such thing and the only thing that "baits" people into a GW2 thread on this site is that it's a positive thread about GW2.  Are only negative threads  allowed here? 

Oh they know it. That's why they don't argue that and they go for speculation based on financial reports to determine population. But I'm sorry, when I read this OP, it's context is that of "See I told you so"  The OP's emphasis on the word "REALLY" in his phrase. Why would we ever question how many players there REALLY are? It's never been in question. Ever. Except for certain posters in this forum. So it was REALLY a message to them.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    This needed done but it needed done day one. I am glad that I didnt really like the game because I would have probably just dealt with the culling. I do not enjoy gw2 though I did give it a few months, this fix is 365 days to late, hapoy for thos that still play it. Is this game transitioning from a buy to play fo a cash shop game though? They ride a fine line.

Not sure what you're asking, it's still the same B2P, no sub, cosmetic cash shop as it was since day one. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    had to dial my graphics back a tad. Had everything at max and in the big zergs I was dropping down to 15 to 20 FPS and portaling into  Divinity Reach at the Minister waypoint had me danging in the air for a couple of seconds. But damn if you don't see a butt load of people in LA now. At 7 pm tonight LA was in overflow status so me thinks people like the big open world zerg content of the latest content

I miss DAoC

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Phasing is culling... gw2 official wiki clarifies that for ya... Dev quoted as 1500 player per server max...  I actually do know the difference, if you can quote me as not knowing the difference go right ahead.

You stopped responding because you kept trying to misconstrue what I said and take it to hyperbole, you also used varied ad hominems and straw man arguments, and I just kept requoting exactly what you said and asking you to show me where and what I said that could have possibly had the meaning you were trying to misconstrue it as having... you never once were able to do that despite being asked to in 10 different instances.. (posting history shows this np)...

I think at one point you were even claiming i believed that 100% of anets sales were from cash shop, still waiting for you to quote anything I said that remotely implied that I believed that..  My guess is, yet again, you will dodge it, because you have no answer... yet you will flock with the other misguided and try to convince yourself you are right via mob mentality... 

Unfortunately, the gw2 wiki exists, it defines culling and the phasing it creates for you... unfortunately ncsoft earnings reports exist... Sorry man...

There you go again attributing quotes to Arenanet devs without quoting or linking.

I've asked you before to post the quote that you claimed that existed where Arenanet confirmed phasing. You still haven't linked to that quote.

Now you inventing another quote where an Arenanet dev claim a GW2 servers is 1500 people max.

You just spreading FUD.

1500 people was  a number rumored for all of the WvW (there are 4 maps). Other numbers talked have been 1200 and 2000.

And again you insist it creates a phase for you. You either have reading problems, aren't an english native speaker or both.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Culling

As distant characters come closer, their bodies become visible some distance before their nameplates appear. Visible, but distant characters and monsters cannot be selected until they come within a minimum distance.

As you move your character in a direction, new characters/NPCs will gradually phase into the scene (taking a few seconds) while those behind you disappear. This phasing in was one of the issues affecting WvW stealthy characters, and providing them with a few seconds of extra invisibility as they came out of stealth.

Where does it say it creates a phase for you? 

No 1500 was confirmed by devs when the game came out, they have made no announcement that they've increased the number of concurrent players per server at a time, only that they've raised the cap on characters that can be made on a server. 

It had nothing to do with WvW...

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

[mod edit] 

Phasing is not culling.  You aren't reading it right.  Everybody knows this.  (Except you)

You cannot find a quote where devs say there are 1500 players per server max. :I  Because you made that number up, or misconstrued the number from another context.  Everybody knows it.  (Except you)

[mod edit]  I stopped responding because you find a point, you stick to it no matter how wrong you are, and ignore all logic. :I

I didn't say that you said 'GW2 is P2P', but hey, I'm not surprised you misunderstand me (You misudnerstand Arenanet devs all the time as well, after all).  What I said is that your claim that '20% reduced revenue means reduced interest, PERIOD', doesn't work when you're talking about a B2P model, so I was suggesting that perhaps you misunderstood the pricing model, by giving other ways you could be thinking about the model where your statement would make sense and actually be approaching factual (Instead of being completely made up and everybody knows it.  Except, again, you.  I see a theme).  I didn't say you said it was pure cash shop revenue or P2P, I was saying that those are things you could be thinking of where your statements could make sense.  Alternatively, you could just be arguing from a flawed position initially (Which was my whole point, really) (But you never figured that out).  My whole point was not 'You are saying that there was 100% cash shop sales', but that 'unless you believe this, your statements are inherently flawed because you are ignoring the possiblity of reduction in box sales)

GW2 Wiki does not define culling as phasing. :I  It uses the WORD phasing in the article (Which is written by users by the way, so is hardly definitive half the time anyway.)  in the sense of things phasing in, which is NOT the same thing as what MMORPG phasing is.  Shadowcat in X-Men phases through walls, but that doesn't mean she has MMORPG phasing, nor does it mean she's being culled because the wall is trying to save on bandwidth.

Believe it or not, phasing is a word, with an actual definition, and MMORPG phasing is not synonymous with that word.

I stopped responding because every single time you lock onto details (That are wrong) and cannot be shaken by any amount of facts or evidence pointing otherwise.  Just like this won't change your mind at all.  :I  But I only brought this up to clarify, mostly for other people, why I stopped.  You of course won't be able to process any of what I said, because you are absolutely convinced you are right, even on things that are quite blatantly, hilariously wrong, like the 1500 players per server count.  (Which if that was the true server count, they never would have had to fix culling, because you could only have about 10 more players per a WHOLE MAP than where culling started)

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Ha logged in the first time in several months yesterday. I was checking on the economy and achievement modifications. Didn't even know culling was removed for good. Perhaps I should log back in...or not...hmm ha. Still waiting for an actual expansion, instead of the content updates they have been releasing.
  • caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Phasing is not culling.  You aren't reading it right.  Everybody knows this.  (Except you)

You cannot find a quote where devs say there are 1500 players per server max. :I  Because you made that number up, or misconstrued the number from another context.  Everybody knows it.  (Except you)

I didn't use ad hominems or straw men arguments, when I say you're ignorant, or don't understand, that's just... y'know.  A statement of fact.  Like 2+2=4.  I stopped responding because you find a point, you stick to it no matter how wrong you are, and ignore all logic. :I

I didn't say that you said 'GW2 is P2P', but hey, I'm not surprised you misunderstand me (You misudnerstand Arenanet devs all the time as well, after all).  What I said is that your claim that '20% reduced revenue means reduced interest, PERIOD', doesn't work when you're talking about a B2P model, so I was suggesting that perhaps you misunderstood the pricing model, by giving other ways you could be thinking about the model where your statement would make sense and actually be approaching factual (Instead of being completely made up and everybody knows it.  Except, again, you.  I see a theme).  I didn't say you said it was pure cash shop revenue or P2P, I was saying that those are things you could be thinking of where your statements could make sense.  Alternatively, you could just be arguing from a flawed position initially (Which was my whole point, really) (But you never figured that out).  My whole point was not 'You are saying that there was 100% cash shop sales', but that 'unless you believe this, your statements are inherently flawed because you are ignoring the possiblity of reduction in box sales)

GW2 Wiki does not define culling as phasing. :I  It uses the WORD phasing in the article (Which is written by users by the way, so is hardly definitive half the time anyway.)  in the sense of things phasing in, which is NOT the same thing as what MMORPG phasing is.  Shadowcat in X-Men phases through walls, but that doesn't mean she has MMORPG phasing, nor does it mean she's being culled because the wall is trying to save on bandwidth.

Believe it or not, phasing is a word, with an actual definition, and MMORPG phasing is not synonymous with that word.

I stopped responding because every single time you lock onto details (That are wrong) and cannot be shaken by any amount of facts or evidence pointing otherwise.  Just like this won't change your mind at all.  :I  But I only brought this up to clarify, mostly for other people, why I stopped.  You of course won't be able to process any of what I said, because you are absolutely convinced you are right, even on things that are quite blatantly, hilariously wrong, like the 1500 players per server count.  (Which if that was the true server count, they never would have had to fix culling, because you could only have about 10 more players per a WHOLE MAP than where culling started)

People can just look at post history where I quote your posts and they will see you dodge every time you misconstrue something and are called on it. 

Still waiting for you to show me where I said all of gw2's sales are from cash shop, since you accused me of saying such a thing. 

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275

WALL OF TEXT *BRAIN EXPLODES*

Kitty comes by and licks up the mess.

No 1500 was confirmed by devs when the game came out, they have made no announcement that they've increased the number of concurrent players per server at a time, only that they've raised the cap on characters that can be made on a server. 

It had nothing to do with WvW...

I just want a link.

Link or it never happened.

I know you wont find one because you are wrong.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

People can just look at post history where I quote your posts and they will see you dodge every time you misconstrue something and are called on it. 

Still waiting for you to show me where I said all of gw2's sales are from cash shop, since you accused me of saying such a thing. 

Uh no.

This demonstrates the basic problem.

You don't understand what I just said.  Just like you don't understand and think GW2 servers have a 1500 person limit (Hahaha), or that culling = phasing.

When I was suggesting that you thought all of GW2s sales were from cash shop, it was to explain that was one of the only ways what you said made any sense.

Because you kept arguing that 20% drop in sales is directly correlated to a 20% drop in interest.  And I said even THEN, that's shaky.  20% drop in subscription (A P2P model) would show 20% less people, but a 20% drop where a large portion of their profit model involves box sales?  That's different.

But.

You won't understand what I just said now, either.  Everybody else understands what I'm saying.  You don't.  I get it.  Don't worry about it.  Just be satisfied knowing I didn't accuse you of that, I was coming up with helpful wild crazy theories you could be pushing that would make your statements make more sense.   :)  (Mostly as a method of showing the problem with the logic you were using)

I've explained that SEVERAL times, but you keep going back and saying 'prove I said that'

Which I can't.  Because you didn't say that, it's just that if you HAD say that, you would be showing a better grasp of economics.    (You would just be really confused about GW2 pricing) 

Originally posted by Isawa
    Ha logged in the first time in several months yesterday. I was checking on the economy and achievement modifications. Didn't even know culling was removed for good. Perhaps I should log back in...or not...hmm ha. Still waiting for an actual expansion, instead of the content updates they have been releasing.

There are no expansions (in the usual sense) being worked on right now, nor at this time does it look like there will be. They intend (or at least are exploring the possibility) of releasing expansion style content through the Living Story updates, including over time new weapons, skills, traits, lands, etc. 

Think of it this way. When Lich King was released for WoW, you bought the expansion up front but it took them three content releases in order for you to get everything you paid (and continued to pay monthly) for. ANet's going to spread it out in monthly/ two week intervals and not charge you at all for it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Meowhead

Uh no.

This demonstrates the basic problem.

You don't understand what I just said.  Just like you don't understand and think GW2 servers have a 1500 person limit (Hahaha), or that culling = phasing.

When I was suggesting that you thought all of GW2s sales were from cash shop, it was to explain that was one of the only ways what you said made any sense.

Because you kept arguing that 20% drop in sales is directly correlated to a 20% drop in interest.  And I said even THEN, that's shaky.  20% drop in subscription (A P2P model) would show 20% less people, but a 20% drop where a large portion of their profit model involves box sales?  That's different.

But.

You won't understand what I just said now, either.  Everybody else understands what I'm saying.  You don't.  I get it.  Don't worry about it.  Just be satisfied knowing I didn't accuse you of that, I was coming up with helpful wild crazy theories you could be pushing that would make your statements make more sense.   :)  (Mostly as a method of showing the problem with the logic you were using)

I've explained that SEVERAL times, but you keep going back and saying 'prove I said that'

Which I can't.  Because you didn't say that, it's just that if you HAD say that, you would be showing a better grasp of economics.    (You would just be really confused about GW2 pricing) 

There's a marked difference between not understanding and blatantly misrepresenting. 

I strongly suspect the latter. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

So nice to see this done away with, culling is super annoying in many cases. Since it went away in GW2, it seemed to have been intodruced in Planetside 2 now, omg TK'ing friendlies that are in front of you yet aren't on your screen.

Runs great on my Intel system so far, puts a bit of a strain on the AMD system though and there aren't that many people in LA yet.

Originally posted by Volkon

There are no expansions (in the usual sense) being worked on right now, nor at this time does it look like there will be. They intend (or at least are exploring the possibility) of releasing expansion style content through the Living Story updates, including over time new weapons, skills, traits, lands, etc. 

Sincerely I doubt that.

If the live teams is 50 so peeps as they announced that leaves 250 peeps doing nothing.

Some of those 250 peeps will be support, pr etc.

Still a bunch left and NCSoft mentioned expansion more than once in their earning reports. It might have been a case of miscommunication but I doubt it.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by botrytis

Well, the patch today removed culling from PvE and culling from PvP was gone months ago. Forum members who play the game - please put in comments. negative Nancy's please go elsewhere.

It is amazing to see how many people there are REALLY in the game - it is staggering.

It was staggering. Last night I went to run AC and found 4 other players at the entrance. I was blown away. Needless to say I did not find a group to run AC with.

Server: Blackgate.

Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by botrytis

Well, the patch today removed culling from PvE and culling from PvP was gone months ago. Forum members who play the game - please put in comments. negative Nancy's please go elsewhere.

It is amazing to see how many people there are REALLY in the game - it is staggering.

It was staggering. Last night I went to run AC and found 4 other players at the entrance. I was blown away. Needless to say I did not find a group to run AC with.

Server: Blackgate.

You think people go to the entrance and LFG there?

Next time use http://gw2lfg.com/ .

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Volkon

Sincerely I doubt that.

If the live teams is 50 so peeps as they announced that leaves 250 peeps doing nothing.

Some of those 250 peeps will be support, pr etc.

Still a bunch left and NCSoft mentioned expansion more than once in their earning reports. It might have been a case of miscommunication but I doubt it.

Four live teams, don't know what the total is. However that doesn't mean idle people... other groups are working on other things. There's an sPvP team, a balance team, a WvW team, and teams working on larger things to be added. Living Story isn't the only thing I'm saying is being worked on, sorry if that came across wrong. But when something large is built odds are it'll be added with a Living Story release instead of bundled up in a future expansion.

Oderint, dum metuant.