Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best MMORPG off all time is?

124»

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

While I have not played every MMO ever made, so far City of Heroes for me.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    For me it would be a toss up between UO 14 years ..still playing..or EQ2  8 years and still playing
  • Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204

EQ1

I remember the opening week of Kunark when we gathered 220 people to attempt Gorenaire and she kicked our ass. That was epic!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Jabas

The 1st one i had played, and the name is not relevant.

That experience of been the 1st mmo is just amazing.

Still have some hope that something come out and make me feel something like that, who knows  :)

nah ... my first "real" MMO (don't count a pre-cursor called Kingdom of Drakka) was UO. It was horrible. No fun, repetitive, and i quit soon.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

One's first MMO is always considered the best.

Unless one's first is not SWG. In that case, the answer is "SWG".

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Hello kitty online :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• bestadamirebestadamire Member Posts: 13
    Quite amusing when every single MMORPG besides WoW, is considered a WoW clone on these forums... Half of these kids were infants when vanilla WoW was released anyways.
  • BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

The best MMO of all time obviously hasn't been made yet...

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281

My all time favorite = pre-NGE/CU SWG.

I would have to say though, personal preferences aside, I think this award would probably have to go to WoW (don't taze me bro). When you consider everything it has accomplished for the genre over the years as far as attracting new gamers etc.. Plus, everyone who played since vanilla WoW has had a love/hate relationship with the game. Hell, I haven't played it in a few years and I still think back on the good times occasionally. Everyone loves to hate it, but it's hard to deny the impact it's had on the industry- for better or worse.

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Originally posted by ArzhAngel

100% SWG

This is not a opinion. This is a Fact.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

**Not made yet

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

EQII.

Players shortchange that game, but it has many concepts that are great for MMOs, especially MMORPGs.

Did it have the splash of other titles, no. Did it bring the big innovations to MMORPGs, not really.

What it has is novel ideas. The shiny system is a perfect example. Terribly addicting. Would cross over rivers and obstacles -- or even between walkers -- to pick one up. Before XBox brought the achieves, EQII had it's collection system.

Tradeskill stations and crafting. EvE may have the most extensive crafting, but crafting there is as lacking as in WoW standing by a mailbox cutting 100 gems (just insert BPO/BPC and mats and wait for it to finish). When you're finished crafting something in EQII you actually felt like it was mastercrafted. Add the stats to it with gear and talents, made the game for tradeskillers more interesting than watching paint dry.

Housing and guild halls. Four years before WoW (and WoW still doesn't have them), with tradeskills to make things to customize them, if not buy them from SOE itself.

Appearance armor without the fuss (and again before WoW).

Simple things like Harvest Depots for mats. Bags/crates to hold the endless junk (making farming runs worthwhile). Marking a bag for non-sell, so no more accidents of selling trash that wasn't (or disenchanting) that very nice tier piece.

It's endless. EQII has it. A hidden gem of a MMORPG. Plus, it's community (apart from the fouled mouthed raiders) is actually a community.

It went a different direction than WoW that's uniquely it's own. Special and unique. +1