Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: 'Landmark' Building Process Demoed in New Timelapse Videos

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Sony Online Entertainment released a trio of timelapse videos for EverQuest Next Landmark today showing off the possible results of the game's impressive and powerful building tools.

Comments

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Thats freaking cool the last one they showed today that was really awesome.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119

Umm drool. 

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I didn't know they were giving us tera-forming. Nice.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Tiller
    I didn't know they were giving us tera-forming. Nice.

well it is sort of like Minecraft, except here you have more granularity rather than blocks. That is indeed cool.

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Interesting. How far the system can go and what all it can be used for is at the forefront of my mind.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I think Landmark is going to be a fun experience.  Imagine all the stuff you will be able to build.  I can see people hanging out and being very social in there too, you know, like how MMORPG games used to be.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• junglebeastjunglebeast Member UncommonPosts: 72

Oh yes! Goodbye Minecraft, hello EQN: Landmark!

I also hope you can socialize with other builders around you. That would be so awesome..

You know when you play too much MMO's when your partners pants have become a rare drop.

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    I think Landmark is going to be a fun experience.  Imagine all the stuff you will be able to build.  I can see people hanging out and being very social in there too, you know, like how MMORPG games used to be.

I think so too. I really miss being social in mmorpgs, and I don't mean just being on a vent server getting yelled at by a cranky raid leader. But actually just hanging out and forming friendships! I hopefully anyway

Very cool videos I am surprised !

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Note they don't show the actual tools used to terraform, this was done by 2 people at least who do this for a living.

Duly noted.

And... it's still really impressive.  Looks like there is a lot of control over how things look, and much less granular than Minecraft.

Definitely looking forward to playing with this.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    They couldn't have marketed this as cool without minecraft first. Even though doom 3 had a map creatpr, but spending a lot of time terraforming would be hard to sell as fun snd worth a try without the buzz of minecraft.

I am defintely going to try it, but by the 3rd time if an hour amounts to a trail of work as shown in this vid, then thats not very satisfying for me.

They need to show bidros that sell better and talk about tools that can cut the time. For example if we knew how deep we wanted to cut into the mountain, if there is a tool that takes 5 mins to create the layput pf the trail from the mpuntain. Then extra time put into decorations.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

This voxel tech is most likely going to have a fundamental effect on ALL types of games, provided there isn't some huge performance overhead somewhere.

This fine-grained level of construction is unknown in games of any type. MineCraft comes closest of course, but it looks nowhere close to this.

• KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137
    For those mentioning the social aspect, they said it would be like any MMO world, even mentioned the potential for guilds...I can't wait to see how this plays out. I hope to recreate the place I started my EQ journey, EQ1 Rivervale.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Yet...some say it's not a sandbox. Go figure! Really cool. I'm interested to see what kind of building will be allowed in the actual EQ Next game though.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    You are dooming and glooming. F2p does npt mean production stops or even that it os necessarily lowered.

What it does mean the income is less steady, and less predictable. Also it means the devs had a problem with retention and attracting new players and f2p removes that barrier which in turn has the potential to increase revenue.

Simce eqn is very different, this makes it a barrier to people wanting to try it out. So they would want to get it into people's hands and then people can pay for enjoyable content.

It makes sense for a mmo that departs from so many expected standards in the mmo genre.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    looks like i can delete minecraft from pc:) very nice!
    Tis is builders dream.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    The pre launch creations formed with Landmark is the one shot we have at creating items without having gameplay mechanics and competitive advantages in mind. Should be neat to see what people make now and then to see what gets made after the game launches.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

very nice!:)

builders dream!

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Anyone notice the very low number of views on these videos on YouTube? not that it means anything but it seems kind of strange fror a game this big

Steam: Neph

• EyesgoodEyesgood Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Wurm Online has had this feature for years.  Just saying...
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Note they don't show the actual tools used to terraform, this was done by 2 people at least who do this for a living.

We are getting the SAME tools they use for development.  This was addressed in the SOE Live panels.  We will also be getting new tools as they are created.

Why wouldn't we?  Landmark is about "paying" in the sand.  You won't have the same freedoms in EQN, except maybe on your designated plot of land, but in Landmark they have no reason not to give us as many tools as possible for construction.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by Eyesgood
    Wurm Online has had this feature for years.  Just saying...

Wurm's building tools are rudimentary by comparison, and the engine/game is a clunky piece of junk.  They won't even be in the same universe.

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by junglebeast

Oh yes! Goodbye Minecraft, hello EQN: Landmark!

I also hope you can socialize with other builders around you. That would be so awesome..

in your dream