Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Armorsmith vs Blacksmith vs Culinarian

time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

I know we can do all, but as a marauder/warrior as my top priority, which first? 

(I know weaponcrafting is more useful overall for a marauder, at least that's what I read)

I plan to get a warrior first, then a dragoon or monk, then that's it hah.  So I'd like to pick the initial craft that will benefit this plan.  I know cooking is useful to all classes which is why I'm torn because weaponcrafting is useful for a marauder but its kind of a one time benefit just for him, but I guess I could sell stuff and make money with it).  In my mind, it seems like culinary would allow any and every alt I level to have food and that 5-10% stat boost (so I've read).

I put armor crafting here as a long shot as a first craft just because it will fill 4 item slots on my marauder/warrior but after that i'd be stuck just selling armor to tanks.  So I know I'm shooting for warrior right off the bat, but I'm still not sure which initial craft class to put my time into, as in which craft to level up so it keeps pace with my marauder/warrior.  If I don't keep pace with him, it takes away a lot of the benefit cuz the items you make are less relevant.

what do you guys think?

(sidenote: again I know I can level all three at the same time or whenever, but I wanna have one keep pace with my main)

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

You're probably gonna want to level up mining, blacksmith, and armorsmith all at the same time if you want to be as self sufficient as possible. Even then, you're going to end up relying on other crafting classes to provide components to higher end recipes. Lots of cross collaboration in this game its not really like WoW where you have solo crafting classes so to speak.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

aha, ahahaha,....AHAHAHAH...sorry... couldn't help myself....

anyway...

If you want to make your own armour and weapons then yea you will want to level blacksmith and armour, though i think armour would be more useful since you can then repair your own stuff instead of forking over massive amounts of gil.

but your problem is to level armorer you will need to level mining for ore, botanist for ice shards and wood, leatherworker to make synthesize leather and then goldmsith to make bars, you can biy the early level mats off the vendor but they're expensive and then you can buy the higher level stuff on the market of have friends synthesize the base materials for you. but at the moment the market will be expensive.

also then you may want to level goldsmith higher too so that can repair your trinkets and whatnot.

if you dont care about repairing your own stuff, imo just level your marauder and not worry about crafting, you should get sufficient drops from instances, where you will be spending the majority of your levels anyway. crafted stuff is only better than instances if you can HQ the item then socket it with materia.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Originally posted by skyexile

anyway...

If you want to make your own armour and weapons then yea you will want to level blacksmith and armour, though i think armour would be more useful since you can then repair your own stuff instead of forking over massive amounts of gil.

but your problem is to level armorer you will need to level mining for ore, botanist for ice shards and wood, leatherworker to make synthesize leather and then goldmsith to make bars, you can biy the early level mats off the vendor but they're expensive and then you can buy the higher level stuff on the market of have friends synthesize the base materials for you. but at the moment the market will be expensive.

also then you may want to level goldsmith higher too so that can repair your trinkets and whatnot.

if you dont care about repairing your own stuff, imo just level your marauder and not worry about crafting, you should get sufficient drops from instances, where you will be spending the majority of your levels anyway. crafted stuff is only better than instances if you can HQ the item then socket it with materia.

Ok.  Well said, I'll listen to your advice and focus on leveling my marauder/warrior and just live off what I get through my travels.  Maybe I'll do some culinary stuff and fishing on the side when I'm bored.  Thanks! 

Last thing, and no one yell at me for saying "endgame", but is endgame crafted armor the best stuff available or is the best stuff available from pve raids?  (and no I don't want to turn this into a "this isn't wow" flame war)  I guess no one knows where the best gear comes from?

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by time007

anyway...

Ok.  Well said, I'll listen to your advice and focus on leveling my marauder/warrior and just live off what I get through my travels.  Maybe I'll do some culinary stuff and fishing on the side when I'm bored.  Thanks! 

Last thing, and no one yell at me for saying "endgame", but is endgame crafted armor the best stuff available or is the best stuff available from pve raids?  (and no I don't want to turn this into a "this isn't wow" flame war)  I guess no one knows where the best gear comes from?

no mater the game, raid gear will always be better because it require more too get it. crafted gear may be good, even required, too be able too raid but long as it can be sold, crafting will not be a big deal.

unless you dedicated yourself to crafting  because it will cost you a lot for little return in till end game

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Do NOT forget that crafting has its own gear set.  Thus, the whole idea of repairing your own gear only applies if the gear you use matches the type of clothes your crafting uses.

That's the totally wrong frame of thought.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Pretty sure I got ice shards as a lvl20 miner at 100% in or near skull Valley.
  • Stark3Stark3 Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by angerbeaver
    Pretty sure I got ice shards as a lvl20 miner at 100% in or near skull Valley.

Yes, crystals are not locked in to particular gathering class, THOUGH it is obvious that one group of shards benefits more from one class, and another group of shards benefits more from another class.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

some of that endgame crafted gear is pretty good, but by the looks of it it will take some time to acquire since you need full green i55 sets of crafting gear to make the i70 green stuff. if the datamine data is correct, it could infact be better than the i90 AF sets, atleast for the chests anyway:

http://xivdb.com/?search/!filters/IklURU1TOklDSV9EQVRFRF8wOklTSV9XQVJSSU9SOklTSV9CT0RZOklPSV9JT0lJTFZMX0lPSURFU0M6Ig==

Yea i figured you might be able to get ice as miner, i hadnt seen them yet myself was all.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by jimmywolf13
    Originally posted by time007

anyway...

no mater the game, raid gear will always be better because it require more too get it. crafted gear may be good, even required, too be able too raid but long as it can be sold, crafting will not be a big deal.

unless you dedicated yourself to crafting  because it will cost you a lot for little return in till end game

you must have missed some of the top tier recipes then.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by jimmywolf13

This is not true - devs have confirmed that there are/will be recipes intended to surpass dropped gear. I don't know whether that is the case for every slot (probably not), but it'll likely be enough to help you transition to raids when you hit 50, or compliment your raid gear.

They didn't make crafting and gathering such a large part of the game just to have it become obsolete.