Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Culling gone from game - PERIOD!!

botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Well, the patch today removed culling from PvE and culling from PvP was gone months ago. Forum members who play the game - please put in comments. negative Nancy's please go elsewhere.

It is amazing to see how many people there are REALLY in the game - it is staggering.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i totally forgot it was today. Patching now, thanks for the remainder.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by botrytis

Well, the patch today removed culling from PvE and culling from PvP was gone months ago. Forum members who play the game - please put in comments. negative Nancy's please go elsewhere.

It is amazing to see how many people there are REALLY in the game - it is staggering.

Hopefully trying to process all of these characters won't cause my PC to explode when fighting Tequatl the Sunless, The Shatterer, or Claw of Jormag.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188

Yes the game dies

http://ifotos.pl/zobacz/gw004jpg_nwppwhr.jpg/

http://ifotos.pl/zobacz/assedrdjp_nwppwne.jpg/

Blacktide Lion's Arch at the time when ppl zergspam and afk on overflows in Blazeridge Stepps cuz of event :)...there are even more ppl in the world where events are, but my router crashed and couldnt get back on my home realm (stucked on overflow) so i went to LA :D

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    so nice to confirm that others are actually in the game XD

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74

It's hard to express how great culling removed from PvE is.  Night and day difference when running around areas now.

Reminder, while the label does not reflect it in the name right now, the WvW character quality and limit affects the PvE players as well.  Don't get pissy about lag cause more on screen, just lower it.

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

Culling should have never been in a "persistent" world the way arenanet used it in the first place.... there are times and places for it, what they did was just straight corner cutting.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by caetftl

Culling should have never been in a "persistent" world the way arenanet used it in the first place.... there are times and places for it, what they did was just straight corner cutting.

Unbelievable the amount of folks playing when you can see everyone ,,,,never seen anything like it in any game I've ever played

Originally posted by Bad.dog

Unbelievable the amount of folks playing when you can see everyone ,,,,never seen anything like it in any game I've ever played

Yea gw2 is the first "mmo" for a lot of people... It's a good introductory mmo.  If you like seeing really large amounts of people in a game, you should check out the high population WoW servers... it's crazy thinking so many people are logged in at the same time. 

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Yea gw2 is the first "mmo" for a lot of people... It's a good introductory mmo.  If you like seeing really large amounts of people in a game, you should check out the high population WoW servers... it's crazy thinking so many people are logged in at the same time. 

Nah even when WOW use to have the 5-8 hour que's it wasn't that busy in game ...but I'm sure it might have been different for you in the Barrens , lots of kids managed to hang out there  for months . Wow was without a doubt  the introductory mmo for a vast majority of folks  and you can tell they still "feel the puppy love " but as you grow up a bit and play more games it becomes easier to let go of the past .  In actual fact besides Friday night at the entrance to Molten  Core ...night elves dancing on my mailbox and the barrens kids call each other "Huntards " WOW actually was kind of a quiet place , So I do feel your pain in defending your first love but once you let go you'll understand GW2 is a very busy place .

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

really funny when guildies exclaim "wow there are so many people right now in LA!"
    no more culling , i say
    yeah it's night and day difference
    and it's a good thing i just upgraded to haswell or else my old pc's AMD will fry cuz of this update

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Since I have PC that can actually run it without hickups, i am so happy :D

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Thats... um... nice? You do know since you can see people now that doesn't mean there is more around right? 

/facepalm

Hmm interesting way to show there are more people around in game then before. I assume its likely to show that its more populated, giving the illusion of more players for the purpose of giving people the impression the population is growing. 

Yes, call me a negative nancy all you want but that is likely the reason from a purely marketing standpoint of why they would do it despite originally being done for a 'resource saving' measure for a player's system. And yes I felt the need to say it since people for some stupid reason think it suddenly means "HUGE BLOOM OF PLAYERS" despite it making 0 sense, having those players having been always around just not visible at all times.

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Since I have PC that can actually run it without hickups, i am so happy :D

I'm also quite amazed at just how many people are actually present in the game, I really didn't expect it.  Pretty crazy that it was all culled off.

As far as performance goes though, my Macbook Pro -- which runs the game decently but obviously isn't a top notch gaming PC -- ran it all with no issues at all.  I even thought it was just slightly better performance than usual.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Thats... um... nice? You do know since you can see people now that doesn't mean there is more around right? 

/facepalm

Hmm interesting way to show there are more people around in game then before. I assume its likely to show that its more populated, giving the illusion of more players for the purpose of giving people the impression the population is growing. 

Yes, call me a negative nancy all you want but that is likely the reason from a purely marketing standpoint of why they would do it despite originally being done for a 'resource saving' measure for a player's system. And yes I felt the need to say it since people for some stupid reason think it suddenly means "HUGE BLOOM OF PLAYERS" despite it making 0 sense, having those players having been always around just not visible at all times.

They've been talking about fixing culling for a LONG time though.  They said it was harder than it looks with the way they had the game coding, and even now it's not perfect.

But anyway, it's one thing to know in your heart that there's a lot of fellow players, and another to just... see them.  Everywhere.  It's pretty crazy!  And feels nice. :D

Nah even when WOW use to have the 5-8 hour que's it wasn't that busy in game ...but I'm sure it might have been different for you in the Barrens , lots of kids managed to hang out there  for months . Wow was without a doubt  the introductory mmo for a vast majority of folks  and you can tell they still "feel the puppy love " but as you grow up a bit and play more games it becomes easier to let go of the past .  In actual fact besides Friday night at the entrance to Molten  Core ...night elves dancing on my mailbox and the barrens kids call each other "Huntards " WOW actually was kind of a quiet place , So I do feel your pain in defending your first love but once you let go you'll understand GW2 is a very busy place .

WoW had more people in 1 area at times, than an entire GW2 server could hold (1500 according to anet devs) so it is literally impossible for you to ever see more than wow could create... and yea those 9000 player queues for the popular servers were pretty harsh in WoW. 

Unfortunately WoW was not my first love, I don't particular like how they dumbed it down either, and I wish gw2 hadn't tried to copy it and dumb down mmo gaming even more, it isn't a winning formula which is why wow has lost subs, and why gw2 qoq sales are dropping so rapidly. 

You just really have to wonder what happened to anet since the gw1 days, when they are doing things like falsely advertising via manifesto, adding mechanics that are anti-mmo like phasing/culling, and advertising in such a blatantly deceptive manner by intentionally being vague and hoping people spin it in a way they know is not true.  Where has the integrity gone, I guess mike o'brien really did want to compete with wow, unfortunately you can't out wow the wow, anet should have gone for a challenging game. 

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

WoW had more people in 1 area at times, than an entire GW2 server could hold (1500 according to anet devs) so it is literally impossible for you to ever see more than wow could create... and yea those 9000 player queues for the popular servers were pretty harsh in WoW. 

Pulling more numbers out of nowhere to bash GW2?

It's getting absurd now, when you start denying what devs themselves have stated...

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Pulling more numbers out of nowhere to bash GW2?

It's getting absurd now, when you start denying what devs themselves have stated...

Link? Source? Official source please, not some obscure forum where your friend posted some imaginary information.

I've been following GW2 since it was announced, and I've never read such a thing.

The devs said GW2 had 400K concurrent users during headstart, so apparently it had over 250 servers back then. No, wait, they lowered the server cap because GW2 is !!!DYING!!!!!!!! Yep, that must be it.

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,600
    Originally posted by Scalpless

The devs said GW2 had 400K concurrent users during headstart, so apparently it had over 250 servers back then. No, wait, they lowered the server cap because GW2 is !!!DYING!!!!!!!! Yep, that must be it.

Replace the 250 servers to 250 overflow, and it'll make much more sense.

I dont' think the 1500 cap is true.  If I ask a bunch of people how many people are online right now in their guild and I sum them all up, they are over 1500 already.

That is only the guild I asked.

Another way of analyzing it is join an active guild with 100 concurrent players online.  Now go to an active area like the invasion event.  You'll see the ratio of people in your guild is much greater than 15 to 1.  So thre must be much more than 1500 people per server. 

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by AAAMEOW

I dont' think the 1500 cap is true.  If I ask a bunch of people how many people are online right now in their guild and I sum them all up, they are over 1500 already.

Another way of analyzing it is join an active guild with 100 concurrent players online.  Now go to an active area like the invasion event.  You'll see the ratio of people in your guild is much greater than 15 to 1.  So thre must be much more than 1500 people per server. 

It might be possible he got mixed up with the RvR area? Isn't that supposed to have approx. 400 players from each realm? Adding up to, well, 1200, but that's as close as I can get to figuring out what the chap is meaning by 1500 players.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Silverbarr
    Originally posted by AAAMEOW

It might be possible he got mixed up with the RvR area? Isn't that supposed to have approx. 400 players from each realm? Adding up to, well, 1200, but that's as close as I can get to figuring out what the chap is meaning by 1500 players.

That's possible I suppose... there are four maps which brings it over that 1500 however if 400 per is accurate. 

There's no doubt WvW is quite crowded, especially on a Friday.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Oh noes, more caeftl misinformation.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

I stopped responding to him mostly, and I don't know why anybody takes him seriously.

This is a man who can't tell the difference between phasing and culling.

Who thinks a GW2 server can hold 1500 players max.

Who doesn't understand the difference between how B2P and P2P profits look and what does it mean about population retention.

The only thing I can rely on out of him is that he'll use his multitude of misinformation and confusion to talk about how GW2 is failing and/or horrible.  At least that's reliable. :)

Originally posted by Meowhead
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

I stopped responding to him mostly, and I don't know why anybody takes him seriously.

This is a man who can't tell the difference between phasing and culling.

Who thinks a GW2 server can hold 1500 players max.

Who doesn't understand the difference between how B2P and P2P profits look and what does it mean about population retention.

The only thing I can rely on out of him is that he'll use his multitude of misinformation and confusion to talk about how GW2 is failing and/or horrible.  At least that's reliable. :)

Phasing is culling... gw2 official wiki clarifies that for ya... Dev quoted as 1500 player per server max...  I actually do know the difference, if you can quote me as not knowing the difference go right ahead.

You stopped responding because you kept trying to misconstrue what I said and take it to hyperbole, you also used varied ad hominems and straw man arguments, and I just kept requoting exactly what you said and asking you to show me where and what I said that could have possibly had the meaning you were trying to misconstrue it as having... you never once were able to do that despite being asked to in 10 different instances.. (posting history shows this np)...

I think at one point you were even claiming i believed that 100% of anets sales were from cash shop, still waiting for you to quote anything I said that remotely implied that I believed that..  My guess is, yet again, you will dodge it, because you have no answer... yet you will flock with the other misguided and try to convince yourself you are right via mob mentality... 

Unfortunately, the gw2 wiki exists, it defines culling and the phasing it creates for you... unfortunately ncsoft earnings reports exist... Sorry man...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Purutzil

/facepalm

sir.... no one has said it has more people now. It has the same amount of people it had before. But now you can see all of them because there is no culling. A lot of people claimed GW2 was dead and empty because they couldnt see many people who were actually in the game but hidden by the culling.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

When I watch Twitch, I never see more than 2 players on the same stream. At least on the "Leveling" streams.

You can check for yourselves. Just go to Twitch and scroll down and scroll down more until you find GW2 and check it out.

I have seen streams were there are lots of people pvping. But that's limited too, yes?

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/