Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO will be P2P

Comments

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987
    Originally posted by Adalwulff
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

Actually yes, that is a major deal breaker, I couldn't afford it even if I wanted to at this time. I would have happily purchased the game as a B2P game, but paying a monthly fee of $15 is crazy.  I really don't even understand how they can expect their console players to pay a monthly fee for console and a game on top of that. They are going to be losing a lot of customers with this model I think.

To those who can afford it, awesome! Hope you all enjoy the game. I will not waste my money, because i know they will end up switching models eventually anyway.

^This.

I wholeheartedly agree.  Look at all the games that were p2p that have gone f2p or are just gone.  Only 2 have remained p2p, and if recent history tells me anything, it tells me that ESO, Wildstar, and FFXIV will drop their subscription fees and either go f2p or b2p within months of release.

They went F2P because they were disasters!

TERA, Rift, TSW, SWTOR... all of them disasters and would be gone if it wasn't for F2P. But even that is not helping SWTOR, which is considering closing its doors.

Aion it hot in the east, but not in the west. If it hadn't gone F2P, that game would be gone too.

While games like DAOC and EVE are still going strong after years, and still with a sub.

Quality games are worth the monthly sub, and it keeps a lot of trashy players out.

Disasters? What is a disaster exactly?

What makes ESO any different?

Quality games? Really? Who is the judge exactly?

I say keep dreaming. From every comment I hear besides this site, most people don't want to pay a sub even if the game is good. Most people feel, that if GW2 can do it, then so can every other game. Not many want Sub based games anymore. Has nothing to do with "quality"

It's the same excuse over and over again by every single P2P player. This conversation pops up every P2P MMO that seems to come out, and it ends up going F2P after the first few months to a year.

Disaster? How are they not disasters exactly?

What makes ESO different? Its hasn't been launched yet...lol

I say keep whining. From the comments I see, many people are willing to pay a sub for a quality game.

Its the same excuse over and over again by Freebie lovers, because they feel threatened by anyone who has more than they do. The only games that go from P2P to F2P are the disasters, like the ones I mentioned.

NEVER has a quality sub game went F2P for no reason....LOL

Ya and you know .. there are SOOO many games to back up your claims :3

Really don't make me laugh.

What comments are you looking at? Show me a place where the comments are nothing but positive or at least mostly positive. Not including this site. Go around the web .. and point them out .. lets see how many you come across.

THEN ... I might consider agreeing with you. However, I am all over the web on this subject and really not many people are happy at all. Not even close.

I don't even see how you can miss all the comments all over the net. Heck even youtube, the only videos about this topic only have negative things to say about it. XD

Looking for a laugh? Go check out some of your F2P games...lol

Show me a place where the comments are nothing but negative or at least mostly negative, not including this site. Go around the web and point them out, lets see how many you come across.

I don't even see how you can miss all the positive comments, everyones talking about how great the P2P model is coming back.  XD

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Adalwulff
    Concerning the FTP comment above:
    "But even that is not helping SWTOR, which is considering closing its doors."
    Proof?
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

IMO most of the F2P crowd are the same as the soloer crowd, selfish and irrational.

HAHAHA...wanting everyone to play with you is not selfish?

your reasoning is irrational. Goes in hand with the rest you have been saying.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Sovrath

It's really getting so much negativity ... it wouldn't shock me if they changed it even before launch.

nope.

they will keep it p2p because they know that some "gamers" will complain no matter what but in the end still buy it/subscribe. Then they will keep it p2p but if subs fall below a certain threshhold they will "then" add some sort of freemium plan.

They will get more money up front with p2p as opposed to the inundation of players who have no intent of paying a dime but still flooding servers at launch.

Exactly right.

Why would the TESO devs want to pay for all that sever power, for a bunch of players who have no intention of spending any money. They plan to blow thru the content and move on to the next game anyway.

Leaving the TESO devs holding a huge server bill. Do those players care? Not at all.

IMO most of the F2P crowd are the same as the soloer crowd, selfish and irrational.

The fact you even keep mentioning F2P jsut shows me you are ignoreing everything anyone says because NO ONE said F2P .. Seriously learn to read >.>

We think it should be B2P .. which means PAYING. Not really hard to figure out. Seriously.

Flip flopping is the first sign of defeat  XD

Now that you lost the P2P debate, let me show you the door.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Originally posted by MMORPGtester
    well me and the wife were going to play this one. We have played every single one they made and loved them all. I however am not willing to pay for the game, then pay for a monthly fee tho. When there are so many free ones we can jump to and from. I guess our elder scrolls hit the last scroll.

I wanted to address this one.

You said "We have played every single one they made". That is ABSOLUTELY wrong. Them(Zenimax Online studios) haven't made a single TES game besides this one. All the other ones are made by Bethesda(who is only helping with lore of TESO it seems). So, there shouldn't be any hard feelings(besides the missed opportunity) seeing how BethSoft had NOTHING to do with it.

Glad to resolve your confusion.

You do know that Zenimax Online owns both Bethesda and the studio they created specifically for making this MMO, Zenimax Studios don't you? Details...details... don't let them get in your way of a good rant though.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

Actually yes, that is a major deal breaker, I couldn't afford it even if I wanted to at this time. I would have happily purchased the game as a B2P game, but paying a monthly fee of $15 is crazy.  I really don't even understand how they can expect their console players to pay a monthly fee for console and a game on top of that. They are going to be losing a lot of customers with this model I think.

To those who can afford it, awesome! Hope you all enjoy the game. I will not waste my money, because i know they will end up switching models eventually anyway.

^This.

I wholeheartedly agree.  Look at all the games that were p2p that have gone f2p or are just gone.  Only 2 have remained p2p, and if recent history tells me anything, it tells me that ESO, Wildstar, and FFXIV will drop their subscription fees and either go f2p or b2p within months of release.

TERA, Rift, TSW, SWTOR... all of them disasters and would be gone if it wasn't for F2P. But even that is not helping SWTOR, which is considering closing its doors.

Aion it hot in the east, but not in the west. If it hadn't gone F2P, that game would be gone too.

While games like DAOC and EVE are still going strong after years, and still with a sub.

Quality games are worth the monthly sub, and it keeps a lot of trashy players out.

I say keep dreaming. From every comment I hear besides this site, most people don't want to pay a sub even if the game is good. Most people feel, that if GW2 can do it, then so can every other game. Not many want Sub based games anymore. Has nothing to do with "quality"

It's the same excuse over and over again by every single P2P player. This conversation pops up every P2P MMO that seems to come out, and it ends up going F2P after the first few months to a year.

I say keep whining. From the comments I see, many people are willing to pay a sub for a quality game.

Its the same excuse over and over again by Freebie lovers, because they feel threatened by anyone who has more than they do. The only games that go from P2P to F2P are the disasters, like the ones I mentioned.

What comments are you looking at? Show me a place where the comments are nothing but positive or at least mostly positive. Not including this site. Go around the web .. and point them out .. lets see how many you come across.

THEN ... I might consider agreeing with you. However, I am all over the web on this subject and really not many people are happy at all. Not even close.

I don't even see how you can miss all the comments all over the net. Heck even youtube, the only videos about this topic only have negative things to say about it. XD

Show me a place where the comments are nothing but negative or at least mostly negative, not including this site. Go around the web and point them out, lets see how many you come across.

I don't even see how you can miss all the positive comments, everyones talking about how great the P2P model is coming back.  XD

lol so you can't prove it, you answer with another question instead while messing it up. Good job *thumbs up* Wonder if you will catch your own mistake in your sentence. 

^This.

Actually, here's a site where the comments are overwhelmingly positive: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/subscription-based-model-confirmed/ ... but what do they know, eh?

Some people are really good at gauging the net and can do statistics in their head real good... so the number is 70% against... yeah, that's the ticket.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

It's really getting so much negativity ... it wouldn't shock me if they changed it even before launch.

nope.

they will keep it p2p because they know that some "gamers" will complain no matter what but in the end still buy it/subscribe. Then they will keep it p2p but if subs fall below a certain threshhold they will "then" add some sort of freemium plan.

They will get more money up front with p2p as opposed to the inundation of players who have no intent of paying a dime but still flooding servers at launch.

Exactly right.

Why would the TESO devs want to pay for all that sever power, for a bunch of players who have no intention of spending any money. They plan to blow thru the content and move on to the next game anyway.

Leaving the TESO devs holding a huge server bill. Do those players care? Not at all.

The fact you even keep mentioning F2P jsut shows me you are ignoreing everything anyone says because NO ONE said F2P .. Seriously learn to read >.>

We think it should be B2P .. which means PAYING. Not really hard to figure out. Seriously.

Flip flopping is the first sign of defeat  XD

Now that you lost the P2P debate, let me show you the door.

Flip flopping? I always been for B2P since the very start of this thread.

I have not changed anything at all that I have said. I am all for B2P .. end of story. Making up things isn't going to make your argument any more true. Basically now you are just being a troll. :3

You really are only making yourself look bad.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

What will they say if everyone starts leaving in droves as has happened over and over and over and...? Have we learned nothing from history?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Iselin

^This.

Actually, here's a site where the comments are overwhelmingly positive: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/subscription-based-model-confirmed/ ... but what do they know, eh?

Some people are really good at gauging the net and can do statistics in their head real good... so the number is 70% against... yeah, that's the ticket.

Oh hey would you look at that. I commend you. =^.^=

Though here is one I have to show you as well.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1kskwf/the_elder_scrolls_online_matt_firor_we_are_going/?sort=new

Here is 2

http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/1ksk8q/eso_will_be_subscription_based/?sort=new

Here is 3 

http://www.youtube.com/results?filters=today&search_query=elder+scrolls+online+subscription+fee&lclk=today

Some interesting videos, the comments are a hoot too. :P

I had other sites as well open, but closed them a bit back. If you want to see more comments though I can certainly easily find them. XD

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316
    I'm actually amazed that there're so many people who are blind (read stupid) enough to not realize this is whole P2P thing is just a cash grab to milk the early adopters (or fanbase) as much as possible before making the inevitable switch to F2P/B2P.
  • dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    lJust Lol THEY BLEW theyr only change ,iwasnt even gonna play it at first and think well it will be f2p so why not try it and BOOM sub  for ESO not a chance,ill prefer to pay for FFXIV than this GL whit that

well me and the wife were going to play this one. We have played every single one they made and loved them all. I however am not willing to pay for the game, then pay for a monthly fee tho. When there are so many free ones we can jump to and from. I guess our elder scrolls hit the last scroll.

You said "We have played every single one they made". That is ABSOLUTELY wrong. Them(Zenimax Online studios) haven't made a single TES game besides this one. All the other ones are made by Bethesda(who is only helping with lore of TESO it seems). So, there shouldn't be any hard feelings(besides the missed opportunity) seeing how BethSoft had NOTHING to do with it.

You do know that Zenimax Online owns both Bethesda and the studio they created specifically for making this MMO, Zenimax Studios don't you? Details...details... don't let them get in your way of a good rant though.

1 + 2 = 12

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    This thread has really surprised me in how much value people put on $15... 
  • MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    If ESO were a single player game then I would understand you b2p guys, but this is an mmo so p2p is a good thing.
  • adidassnofkleadidassnofkle Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by adidassnofkle

nope.

The problem with a non-group oriented games is that they are high susceptible to piracy.

I, and many others, only buy games that offer an online environment in which I want to join.

All the other games are easy to download.

This of course will include TESO.

There will be downloadable servers up in no time, so if they insist on keeping the subscription model, then many consumers will just play for free.

They won't even get our box sale money.

I won't lose an ounce of sleep over corporate greed.

And again with the boycott threats.

Also, you are wrong. It would be illegal for anyone to start up a server for people to play TESO for free. I cant believe you even said it.

That isn't a boycott threat. It is merely a fact of game development. It isn't wise to be too greedy with a single player game.

You got it wrong. Zenimax LLC is the owner of both Zenimax Online AND Bethesda. We'll call Zen.LLC A, Zen.Online B and BethSoft C. A=B+C. B is strictly different than C.

Basically what you are saying is that Activision and Blizz were the same studio while they worked under Vivendi. Excuse me?

Hardly a relevant example... it'd be the same as saying that Zenimax is EA and they acquired Bethesda, specially since it was started by Chris Weaver the Bethesda founder. 

Your portrayal of the relationship is just plain wrong. Zmax studios can more accurately be described as the MMO arm of Bethesda - not this alien entity you're trying to make them out to be.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• adidassnofkleadidassnofkle Member Posts: 31
    I predicted ESO would become P2P, but only under as the worst possible option.

This game seems to clearly be a B2P quality game, and they are using its IP and hype to go P2P. They have no intent at all to make end game content.

It is like GW2 launching with a subscription! This is pure unadulterated greed.

Mark my words this game will be B2P within 6 months.

That said though, they will likely make more money this way than they ever would with just B2P.

Damn greedy corporations!

Originally posted by Makidian
    If ESO were a single player game then I would understand you b2p guys, but this is an mmo so p2p is a good thing.

It isn't an MMO...just ask Zenimax when they are talking to TES fans. This is just a multiplayer TES game according to them. And being in beta...it isn't even that. Its SWTOR all over again. a failed Multiplayer RPG that lacks the depth of an MMO and the quality of a SRPG. Hell, at least SWTOR had a decent story and, lol, better graphics. Oblivion looks better than TESO and worse yet, the has the combat animation almost as bad as TSW.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    The age where people pay $200 per year to rent one game is definitely over. Nowadays there are steam sales, there are great F2Ps and B2Ps coming out every year, there is also a financial crisis. ESO (and Wildstar) won't last very long with this archaic business model. My popcorn is ready.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by adidassnofkle
    I predicted ESO would become P2P, but only under as the worst possible option.

This game seems to clearly be a B2P quality game, and they are using its IP and hype to go P2P. They have no intent at all to make end game content.

I

Funny part is, Zen is the only studio out of the three (sub based) contenders coming up that have talked any significant amount about "end-game" content.  As far as furthering that content who knows, with their actual RvR, and Three different worlds of PVE content, they seem to have quite a bit in regard to that. All WS and FFXIv have shown or talked about are raids and dungeons.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    If $15 a month is a lot to you then you can't afford popcorn sir.
    If $15 a month is a lot to you then you can't afford popcorn sir.

o.o *coughs* Not sure where you get your popcorn from. But it's certainly not even close to that expensive. I guess it was a good try at being funny though ... I guess.

Also ... I think I would get more out of spending $15 a month on popcorn then I would spending $60 initially and $15 a month for TESO. At least the popcorn feeds me xD.

I am sorry but $200+ for a single game for 1 year is to much to me. It doesn't seem like much till you play it for 4 years .. then you realize you wasted  $500 - $600 on one game. Sounds expensive to me. I think people are nuts for willing to spend such money with out a second thought.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by jtcgs

It isn't an MMO...just ask Zenimax when they are talking to TES fans. This is just a multiplayer TES game according to them. And being in beta...it isn't even that. Its SWTOR all over again. a failed Multiplayer RPG that lacks the depth of an MMO and the quality of a SRPG. Hell, at least SWTOR had a decent story and, lol, better graphics. Oblivion looks better than TESO and worse yet, the has the combat animation almost as bad as TSW.

Pretty much sums up my opinion as well.

I personally feel that they know, much like Bioware knew, that their game is subpar.  They're getting as much out of boxes and subs as they can before a transition to another model.  It is what it is but i do agree that the first thing i thought of upon logging in was TOR all over again.

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    Plan B is ready. Give it a year and this one goes F2P.

gameplay > graphics