Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar Payment model revealed.

jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276

Wildstar Payment model was recently revealed as a box sale + standard subscription, but with a twist.   The twist is that there will be another currency traded in game called C.R.E.D.D., which can potentially enable some player to play for free using in game currency.   This system is identical to what Eve Online currently employs.  All of that is very interesting, but with this development a new burning question has arose from within the Widlstar community.  Will this game be Pay To Win. 

What is C.R.E.D.D.?

C.R.E.D.D. is an in-game item that, when consumed, extends an account’s subscription by 30 days.

How do I get C.R.E.D.D.?

C.R.E.D.D. can be bought from other players in-game via the Commodities Exchange (CX) for earned in-game money. Alternately, you can purchase C.R.E.D.D. online at www.WildStar-Online.com for 20 USD.

Cash > CREDD > Gold > AH > Epic Items

This is P2W!

The only question left unanswered is to what extent it is P2W. 

If crafters/drops yield End game quality drops, then the game devolves into full scale P2W.  Even raid progression will be determined by the size of one's checkbook. 

On the other hand, if high end Bind on Equip epic items are rare, and only for a few slots at a time, then the game is barely influenced at all by the market.

That is a large gray area, and I would be lying if I said that I wasn't worried about it. 

Nothing is worse than a P2W system in an MMO.

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

So WildStar is going to have a B2P option after all .. it's on their business model page too, just checked:

WildStar FAQ

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/business-model/

With so many casuals though, that could mean that the C.R.E.D.D.'s may be abundant .. GW2 was successful at getting people to spend $$ for cashshop gems, which could essentially be traded to other players for their in-game gold.

That is probably good news for B2P fans.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224

As it has been said on these forums many times this games target audience is veteran players who want endgame and difficulty brought back to the genre.  These players prefer a subscription.  The focus of wildstar is endgame and bringing back the difficulty.  F2P and B2P models are contrary to that vision of endgame and difficulty.

B2p and F2P are made for front loaded content and for game hoppers. Not for people that play endgame and who are sick of all the thoughtless easy mode modern games like ToR and GW2.

Will Wildstar succeed trying o appeal to old school gamers and in teaching new gamers how to play better?  Carbine has said they hope by having a high difficulty bar they can teach casuals to become better players.  Is there a big enough audience for higher difficulty and hard endgame content?  I question if the modern gamer will play a game where they have to pay attention while playing and where they are encouraged to get better.  I just do not think the modern gamer has the attention span to actually pay attention longer than a few seconds.  But I do hope Carbine succeeds. Wildstar a very ambitious project with many old school gamers hoping they can succeed and revitalize the genre that has been destroyed  by all  games made for gamehoppers where we only see easy mode everyone wins with no effort games.

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by Karteli

So WildStar is going to have a B2P option after all .. it's on their business model page too, just checked:

WildStar FAQ

With so many casuals though, that could mean that the C.R.E.D.D.'s may be abundant .. GW2 was successful at getting people to spend $$ for cashshop gems, which could essentially be traded to other players for their in-game gold.

Idk, I know in Eve you have to work your ass off to get the 350m per month. 

Seems like that is a recipe for extreme burn out.  I know I won't be interested in doing that.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by Karteli

WildStar FAQ

I wouldn't call it a b2p though.You can buy and play GW2 without paying more.With Wildstar you have to buy a sub or grind out enough to pay for a cred,That's not b2p.They're saying you either pay a sub or buy with ingame gold to continue.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

While such system sounds good on paper.

It doesn't work due to HC players also buying CREDD.

So combine a lot of hours with a lot of ingame currency and you have a recipe for victory.

• Dornin34Dornin34 Member Posts: 14
    Worst idea ever with this shameless cash grab model. So now the game is pay to play with the added disadvantage of also being pay to win via the credd system. I would have overlooked the pre-school style graphics if it was a B2P or maybe even straight subs but this ridiculous system where you even have to pay more if you use the credd system can suck it. Now that it even got pushed back to 2014 I will wait for just about anything else that isn't an obvious ripoff. See you in 2015 NcSoft when this game tanks faster than Rift, Tera or SWTOR. This is probably the best day TESO has had in awhile. EQN is laughing too I'm sure. 
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I don't buy p2p games in the first few months anymore so I'll be waiting on this. If it's not a flop with everyone quitting because there's nothing to do or the game is all buggy I'll look at it then.

Been caught too many times buying these games only to find out they're not worth the box price and by the time they are you can pick them up for $10

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I don't buy p2p games in the first few months anymore so I'll be waiting on this. If it's not a flop with everyone quitting because there's nothing to do or the game is all buggy I'll look at it then.

Been caught too many times buying these games only to find out they're not worth the box price and by the time they are you can pick them up for $10

Exactly what I'll be doing.  WS sounds great n all but too much sounds like yet another clone of WoW which all have crash and burned essentially.

EVE had a HUGE economy that was very intricite and one had to have ISK to replace the ships they lost which in EVE it's not a matter of if but when you lost a ship that made a demand for PLEX very viable.  WS I don't see that sort of mechanic and am not convinced that this is going to be a sound ideal.

Wait n see how this all goes.

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106

The payment model appears to be designed for players with a lot of time on their hands.  I’m not one of them so I will have to skip this game.   I just don’t feel like paying a sub for others to get maximum enjoyment and rule the server. It’s a shame because it looks like a quality game. 

In a way I’m relieved to cross this game off my list because I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the great looking mmos that are coming out.

I’m no hater so I wish the P2P crowd and Wildstar the best of luck.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Very important to show you are on the cutting edge by choosing an antiquated payment model.

No P2P game will ever have the success they had 4 years ago, the market has far too many choices that offer more for less.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

Wonderful!

Pay wall to keep the bottom feeders out, however a way in game to pay for your own sub much like EVE and their plex system (though im sure its not just simple buying then reselling the plex to trade currency for game time)

I will now support the game.

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Very important to show you are on the cutting edge by choosing an antiquated payment model.

No P2P game will ever have the success they had 4 years ago, the market has far too many choices that offer more for less.

The beautiful thing about the Wildstar pricing model is that it works well for its target audience and not well for the people that would never play it.  Wildstars 2 big drawing points are increased difficulty and well developed endgame.  The Gamehopper F2P would for the most part never have the patience to play a game with difficulty or a game focused on endgame.  Unless its given to them with no effort they leave and then even when its given to them they leave.  Wildtsar is not an easymode GW2 or EQN type of game where the idea is to frontload the content and take as much money from the casuals before they leave for the next game rather its a game that they say is designed for veteran gamers who want years of endgame and actual content with difficulty.  Carbines contention is that if you keep the veteran players happy and busy they will stay and if they are kept happy many of the gamehoppers will hang around, adapt and learn to become better players rather than moving on to the next massively hyped game.  While I  may agree this philosophy is certainly questionable it is possible they could create a niche and do well for a few years like Rift did before switching to F2P after 2 years.  But unlike Rift hopefully they will not lose a substantial portion of their veteran playerbase by attempting to appeal casuals and making the game easy after 1.5 years.

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293

So does this mean no cash shop? I honestly couldnt care less what the payment model is though I usually prefer P2P for the obvious reason of no (or very few item) cash shop. The merits of a sub go down the drain if theyre still going to be selling exclusive items.

Assuming they dont have one ... this news actually put this game on the radar for me now so kudos to them. I have 0 MMO's ATM but usually have 2 that I alternate between. One will be FFXIV next week and now my eye is on this one as well (along with ESO).

Oh and for the record. Yeah it could be seen as P2W that way but ... its also one hell of a hit to gold sellers that way. Plus whose to say those who'd pay for CREDD to make gold wouldnt just buy from RMT sites? People do it in all MMOs and the P2W isnt even felt. You cant buy BoA (which are usually the best anyway) in the AH! Even so, theyer not exclusive cash shop P2W. Big difference IMO.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I find it kind of hypocritical, the f2p champions sit there and tell people that like p2p that f2p is the future, and how nothing else will come out that is p2p anymore, and they need to suck it up, evolve, accept it, and that the cash shops and f2p are a better model....Then someone announces a p2p game, with a sub buying/selling option that is no worse than any f2p game, and all of a sudden it is p2w, and the game sucks now, even after they had been a champion for it, since it is p2p....But when someone says they don't want to play a f2p game, people get called elitist jerks. 

I do not know that I want to play Wildstar, as it looked like a lot of the same to me when I initially looked at it, but I have more interest in it then I did before this announcement.

I always prefer p2p, and no cash shop, but a p2p with this system, is better than a f2p with the average cash shop.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

Ive said it before and I will say it again...Get a job folks....Pay the 15 bucks ,... If you dont like it just ...well( wait for it ) unsubscribe. I konw right. Whod a thunk it.

The people thumping the free to play bible need to jump into the main stream work force . I will need your social security donations in 20 years.

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827
    I wonder what the payment model will be a year from now.
  • GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by Strangerous

Wonderful!

Pay wall to keep the bottom feeders out, however a way in game to pay for your own sub much like EVE and their plex system (though im sure its not just simple buying then reselling the plex to trade currency for game time)

I will now support the game.

In my experience disposable income and 'bottom feeder quotient' are completely un correlated.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by moguy2

Ive said it before and I will say it again...Get a job folks....Pay the 15 bucks ,... If you dont like it just ...well( wait for it ) unsubscribe. I konw right. Whod a thunk it.

The people thumping the free to play bible need to jump into the main stream work force . I will need your social security donations in 20 years.

Retired years ago. Masses of disposable income. Stiil all completely un correlated to what represents 'good value' or a 'fair price'. Still on the bright side, if the game is any good I can play all day everyday (or as much as I like anyway) and probably earn enough CRED to escape a subscription. I guess unemployed people will be able to do so also. While you are busy being a wage slave we'll all be having fun for free.... win win. I suggest you jump back out of the main stream work force to free up the most valuable commodity know to man....time.

• adidassnofkleadidassnofkle Member Posts: 31
    Don't forget PvP, specifically the Warplots.

The CreDD system can have an enormous effect on such a system, as upgrades to your castle are purchased via gold.
  • Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
    So this game is b2p AND p2p AND p2w. They really must want to milk their customers. What a load of c***.
    Originally posted by Masa1

So this game is b2p AND p2p AND p2w. They really must want to milk their customers. What a load of c***.

It isn't P2W. It merely has the possibility of being P2W. Nothing is certain other than Box Sale + sub, which is just the standard P2P model actually. It can be B2P, but only if you want to farm your ass off making gold to pay your monthly sub fee. Which imo isn't true B2P.

P2P
    Potentially B2P
    Potentially P2W (However, the devs say they hate to P2W, and this would really kill their game, so I have a hunch the AH won't be significant source of good gear.)
  • Dornin34Dornin34 Member Posts: 14

Yeah buddy, you go pay them sub fees and make ncsoft their money back. I'll check out the game 6-9 months after it's released when they go F2P like every other game. I like how people think F2P games are full of freeloaders too. Some people spend thousands on those games and could probably buy and sell your ass 100 times over.

Don't think that credd stuff is the only thing they are going to have in that cash shop either suckers. 

Originally posted by Dornin34

Ive said it before and I will say it again...Get a job folks....Pay the 15 bucks ,... If you dont like it just ...well( wait for it ) unsubscribe. I konw right. Whod a thunk it.   The people thumping the free to play bible need to jump into the main stream work force . I will need your social security donations in 20 years.

Yeah buddy, you go pay them sub fees and make ncsoft their money back. I'll check out the game 6-9 months after it's released when they go F2P like every other game. I like how people think F2P games are full of freeloaders too. Some people spend thousands on those games and could probably buy and sell your ass 100 times over.

Don't think that credd stuff is the only thing they are going to have in that cash shop either suckers. 

Assuming you are right, which you aren't. Isn't paying extra for the game when it is alive and bustling alone worth the additional cost? Or are you just some MMO hopper that plays only by himself.

There are no cash shop atm, and they are leaning towards not implementing one.

Also, how are we suckers? I bet I could find countless things you spend money on that could be construed as wasteful. Does that make you a sucker too?
  • Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by adidassnofkle

It isn't P2W. It merely has the possibility of being P2W. Nothing is certain other than Box Sale + sub, which is just the standard P2P model actually. It can be B2P, but only if you want to farm your ass off making gold to pay your monthly sub fee. Which imo isn't true B2P. P2P Potentially B2P Potentially P2W (However, the devs say they hate to P2W, and this would really kill their game, so I have a hunch the AH won't be significant source of good gear.)

Wow.. you don't really seem to get it. It's NOT P2W only IF they disable all trading done with in game gold.

To simplify it, let's say that boss XXX drops super rare ownage weapon but only rarely. Let's say that the chance to get it per kill is 0,01%. Lucky player AAA got it, but would rather play the game for free than pay that goddamn expensive sub every month.

Suddenly a filthy rich player BBB appears and buys 100x CREDDs with his dollar wallet. He then sells them in market.. and people WILL buy them because there are plenty of people who really want to keep playing and can't afford sub price or just want to avoid spending real cash on games.

Now the filthy rich player BBB has tons of in game currency, he buys the super ownage rare weapon from player AAA. Both of them benefit.. AAA can afford years of free play time and can still buy some weaker equips while BBB now has the best weapon in the game.

BBB then owns everyone in PvP thanks to his weapon. End of story. He literally PAID TO WIN.

Originally posted by adidassnofkle

It isn't P2W. It merely has the possibility of being P2W. Nothing is certain other than Box Sale + sub, which is just the standard P2P model actually. It can be B2P, but only if you want to farm your ass off making gold to pay your monthly sub fee. Which imo isn't true B2P. P2P Potentially B2P Potentially P2W (However, the devs say they hate to P2W, and this would really kill their game, so I have a hunch the AH won't be significant source of good gear.)

Wow.. you don't really seem to get it. It's NOT P2W only IF they disable all trading done with in game gold.

To simplify it, let's say that boss XXX drops super rare ownage weapon but only rarely. Let's say that the chance to get it per kill is 0,01%. Lucky player AAA got it, but would rather play the game for free than pay that goddamn expensive sub every month.

Suddenly a filthy rich player BBB appears and buys 100x CREDDs with his dollar wallet. He then sells them in market.. and people WILL buy them because there are plenty of people who really want to keep playing and can't afford sub price or just want to avoid spending real cash on games.

Now the filthy rich player BBB has tons of in game currency, he buys the super ownage rare weapon from player AAA. Both of them benefit.. AAA can afford years of free play time and can still buy some weaker equips while BBB now has the best weapon in the game.

BBB then owns everyone in PvP thanks to his weapon. End of story. He literally PAID TO WIN.

Yes, end of a bad story. The problem is you haven't proven that the boss drops said uber item, that you can then sell for gold. The game is p2w to an extent, but we don't know what that extent is. It could be meaningless, or it could dominate the game.